PDA

View Full Version : "Worst" of Motorhead

Mr. Vengeance
08-21-2006, 10:23 AM
This is pretty tough....The album that very well might get a lot of votes is my favorite Motorhead album, Another Perfect Day, which is the only album that featured Brian Robertson, of Thin Lizzy fame.

I'm going to say Sacrifice, only because it's the one I play the least. As I said in the original "worst" thread, the album doesn't necessarilly have to be bad, it's just the worst of the lot they put out.

DrMaddVibe
08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
There is NOTHING wrong with "Everything Louder Than Everything Else"...Motorhead.

Either you get it...or you don't. there's no middle ground.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Ooooh, this is a tough one. I think that Motorhead are much more consistent than people give them credit for. They've released some GRATE albums in the past decade or so..."Sacrifice", "Bastards", "We Are Motorhead", "Snakebite Love", and 2004s absolutley FANTASIC "Inferno" (which has become my favourite Motorhead album). I also think "Another Perfect Day" is a very underrated album.

But, worst? I'd go with either "Rock & Roll" or "Bomber". Now, I know "Bomber" is considered a classic, but I find it very patchy. Like a filler album between "Overkill" and "Ace of Spades". Although, there are some GRATE tunes on it...like "Dead Men Tell No Tales", the title track and its interesting to hear Fast Eddie sing. But, all in all, I think its quite patchy.

binnie
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Ahhh, this is a tough one.

I would say "Another Perfect Day" - I just don't think Roberston fitted in, to me it sounded like he and Lemmy were trying to do different things. Not a bad record, but the least Motorhead record.

Followed closely by "Sacrifice" - just didn't think there was anything standout on that record, again not bad, just medicore.

But the worst sounding record they ever did was Orgasmatron - now I love some of the songs on that record, the title track, Mean Machine, Deaf Forever, but to me it sounded awful - way too much treble and not enough bass for a Motorhead record.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Orgasmatron was an excellent album, but it sounded like a demo. I wish they'd re-record it, actually. On the "Stone Deaf Forever" box set, most of those tracks are from BBC sessions and they are much better recorded.

binnie
08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
It's one of those "fucked by the production" records isn't it?

Jérôme Frenchise
08-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I can't tell here, I still haven't a single track by Motorhead, just ain't interested in it at all. I may be wrong, but...
that said, I always agreed with what Lemmy said in the interviews I read. :)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Yea, Lemmy's politics are suprisingly sane.

Mr. Vengeance
08-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, I disagree with anyone who says Another Perfect Day, but I already said I kinda expected it.

I was waiting for some Orgasmatron votes, because as others have said, it really was lacking on the production side. I have it on vinyl, and the production blows, but the songs are really good! I have no idea if it got remastered on CD...anyone know?

Another odd album is Bastards...very tough to find in Canada. I don't know about other places. Hardly any metal fans I know even have it. I'll put it on, and they'll ask me "what Motorhead album is this?"

Mr Badguy
08-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I love the sound of "Orgasmatron", it`s unique, "Sacrifice" is one of my favourites, "Bomber" is great and "Another perfect day" is only ever put down by people who haven`t heard it, it fookin` rocks.

The worst two Motorhead albums are "1916" and "March or die".

I know "1916" is held in high regard by some but I can`t find anything on it to get excited about, the only song maybe being "No voices in the sky".

"March or die" plain sucks, the songs are tired and the sound is very bland for Motorhead.

I gotta say the worst song ever is "Don`t let daddy kiss me". I know Lemmy probably meant well when he wrote it but the lyrics take me somewhere I don`t want to go and it makes me cringe. It ruined the otherwise fantastic "Bastards".

Mr. Vengeance
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Don't think you'll get much support on 1916. Almost every Head fan I know loves it!!! March or Die is pretty hit and miss, but okay.

Don't let Daddy Kiss Me IS fucking creepy. One thing we don't need from Motorhead.

binnie
08-22-2006, 03:57 AM
I love 1916 - loud and rude, a fantasitc record!!

Mr Badguy
08-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I love 1916 - loud and rude, a fantasitc record!!

I remember the hype when it came out and that`s what I think it was : hype.

It was all "this is Motorhead`s major label debut with a big budget" but I don`t think it`s that good.

It doesn`t compare in quality to "Overkill", "Ace of spades", "Orgasmatron", "Bastards" or "Inferno", yet it is still mentioned in the same league.

It was maybe too experimental for me: their first ballad "Love me forever", the wierd "Nightmare/The Dreamtime", the un rock n roll of "1916" and the horn section in "Angel city", just reading the song titles doesn`t make me want to put that record on.

Even the typical stuff like "R.A.M.O.N.E.S", "Going to Brazil" and "I`m so bad (Baby I don`t care)" are pretty ordinary.

There isn`t a classic song on it that Motorhead can`t leave out of their set list like "Killed by death", "Stay clean" or "Iron fist".

It also has a horrible production (which most Sony metal bands had at that time, Ozzy, Alice cooper etc.), far too clean for a band like Motorhead.

Nope, sorry, I`ve listened to it many times and have always felt the same way about it.

binnie
08-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Ok Overkill and Ace of Spades are unsurpassable, so it doesn't compare.

Inferno is also a stella record - really good, but sounds a bit rigid for me, the groove and spontaneity I liked in classic Motorhead isn't there, but still a fantastic record.

Orgasmatron - great material, I just hate the sound, too tinny for me. Motorhead needs big, booming bass, and this record doesn't have it.

Bastatrds was ok, IMO. Better than Sacrifice or Snake bite Love, but I thought We are Motorhead was a superior record in terms of material.

As for 1916, I think it sounds fantstic, slippery and dirty. Sure, it has the late 80's, early 90's polish, but I don't think they sacrificed the dirt. R.A.M.O.N.E.S is a fantastic tune, IMO, as is the opener (The one to sing the Blues, if I remember correctly.) I like the title track, Lemmy's voice is full of emotion there.

Not saying it's up there with the late 70's/ ealry 80's material. But it is a great record, as good or better than anything until Inferno, IMO.

Apparently the new one is going to be even better, according to Kerrang - although, not too sure how relaible a source that is these days.....

Shaun Ponsonby
08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Kerrap? Don't trust em.

Bu, Motorhead are getting better with every album these days.
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
! I have no idea if it got remastered on CD...anyone know?

Its just been released, but it still sounds a bit...well, not much better. The best version of Orgasmatron songs are the BBC sessions. Or the "Orgasmatron 2000" download.

Mr. Vengeance
08-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I remember the hype when it came out and that`s what I think it was : hype.

It was all "this is Motorhead`s major label debut with a big budget" but I don`t think it`s that good.

It doesn`t compare in quality to "Overkill", "Ace of spades", "Orgasmatron", "Bastards" or "Inferno", yet it is still mentioned in the same league.

It was maybe too experimental for me: their first ballad "Love me forever", the wierd "Nightmare/The Dreamtime", the un rock n roll of "1916" and the horn section in "Angel city", just reading the song titles doesn`t make me want to put that record on.

Even the typical stuff like "R.A.M.O.N.E.S", "Going to Brazil" and "I`m so bad (Baby I don`t care)" are pretty ordinary.

There isn`t a classic song on it that Motorhead can`t leave out of their set list like "Killed by death", "Stay clean" or "Iron fist".

It also has a horrible production (which most Sony metal bands had at that time, Ozzy, Alice cooper etc.), far too clean for a band like Motorhead.

Nope, sorry, I`ve listened to it many times and have always felt the same way about it.

R.A.M.O.N.E.S is SOOOO good that the Ramones made it a concert staple for the last few years they toured. Going to Brasil is FANTASTIC!
I'm So Bad....IS GREAT! Sorry dude, can't agree with you on this one.

Panamark
08-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Its a toss up between "Ace of Spades" and "Killed by Death"

In Motorhead terms, their worst *IS* their best ;)