PDA

View Full Version : Rage Against the Machine

OfficerJimmy
08-22-2006, 08:27 PM
This fantastic group does not get much recognition around here unfortunately. To me it is one of my top three bands (along with the Band and Zeppeliin) and their politics really opened my mind and led me to question all the bullshit around us.

Tom Morello is also a guitar god. People complain about him using too many effects, but listen to something like Sleep Now in the Fire and he rocks the fuck out .

franksters
08-22-2006, 09:52 PM
rage is probably one of the most underestimated band that ever walk the face of the earth...

if they woudn't have been so political, they would've become much bigger.

binnie
08-23-2006, 04:00 AM
Rage was an exceptional band!

The first record in particualr was phenomenal - but in terms of being underestimated, I don't think so: they have a huge, almost God like following over here.

I didn't enjoy Renegades much, just not my thing.

Fav song: Bulls on Parade!!

Tom morello is a great player, I don't know about him being a guitar God - I'd like to see him do something different. He has essentially been doing the same thing for 15 years now - same style of riff, solos with crazy noises.

Groundbreaking when it came out, but time to move on.

OfficerJimmy
08-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by franksters

if they woudn't have been so political, they would've become much bigger.

Yea, but if they weren't so political they wouldn't have been half the band they were, they'd probably have been like audioslave is...boring.

PHOENIX
08-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Awesome band. The guy who works at the desk in front of me throws on a cd everynight.

Tiki-Tom
08-23-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but boring like Audioslave is just exactly what they were. Zack de la Rocha was the only energy in that band and he was extremely annoying. They were creative in their politics, not so much their music.

franksters
08-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
I'm probably in the minority here but boring like Audioslave is just exactly what they were. Zack de la Rocha was the only energy in that band and he was extremely annoying. They were creative in their politics, not so much their music.

You probably never had the chance to experience them in concert...
I completely disagree with you, I also wonder which ',energy'' band do you like???

Tiki-Tom
08-24-2006, 12:14 AM
You probably never had the chance to experience them in concert...
I completely disagree with you, I also wonder which ',energy'' band do you like???

If you enjoy insanely repetitive rap lyrics over wah wah wicka wah wah for more than a song or two, more power to ya.
I said Zack was the only energy. Define energy band and I'll get back to ya.

binnie
08-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Why hsn't Zakk done anything since??

He just disappeared......

OfficerJimmy
08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Why hsn't Zakk done anything since??

He just disappeared......

Zack was working wtih DJ shadow for a while and his album was supposed to come out like last year, but it kept getting delayed because Zack kept dissappearing sporadically (probably going to Mexico to help Zapatista movement or something like that.)

Nickdfresh
08-27-2006, 09:07 PM
A great band. A bit flaky, but their music had a creative political bent tinged with anger of overgrown college kids (Morello graduated from Harvard). And to those critics of the band, I can see your point, but Tom Morello pretty much rejected any use of keys or synthesizer early on, and attempted to meld the technically proficient guitar-God mold with the Punk rock guitar player mold that was about the song and not about the solo --to better than mixed success. They were limited, but did all they could do, and did it well.

binnie
08-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I actually think it ended at the right time, now I think about it.

I mean, what more could they do - how could they develop?

They changed the face of heavy music.

Thats more than enough....

doctor roth
09-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Morello is a GREAT guitar player. He can shred with the best of them. Its just a shame you never get to see that side of his playing.

binnie
09-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by doctor roth
Morello is a GREAT guitar player. He can shred with the best of them. Its just a shame you never get to see that side of his playing.

mmm, he has stretched the crazy nosies stuff to its limit tho.

He is certainly talented, I'm not disputing that.

On the new audioslave record he shows another side, they have moved away from writing the same style of riffs...

blonddgirl777
09-08-2006, 12:19 PM
... if they woudn't have been so political, they would've become much bigger.

But that's what they are about... that's their trademark...
This is no money making machine.

I saw them twice.

The first time I saw Zack de la Rocha, I was infatuated... I thought he was going to have a heart attack or a seisure or something (soooo passionate!).
The energy coming out of that man was hysterical and very powerfull...
The second time, during the show, he just stood there for 20 minutes, screaming on top of his lungs some political denounciation that I was wayyy to stoned to understand.

Rage is one of my very favorite band, along with Suicidal Tendencies.

binnie
09-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777

Rage is one of my very favorite band, along with Suicidal Tendencies.

"Lights camera Revolution" Fuck yeah!!!

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 12:22 AM
"Lights camera Revolution" Fuck yeah!!!

Fuck Yeah!!!

"The Art Of Rebellion"... :killer:
And 99.9% of all they ever did!

Tiki-Tom
09-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Join the Army!!!!!!!!!!!!!

binnie
09-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Fuck Yeah!!!

"The Art Of Rebellion"... :killer:
And 99.9% of all they ever did!

Glad to find a fellow fan. One of the few bands that can wear bandanas and look cool!

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Glad to find a fellow fan. One of the few bands that can wear bandanas and look cool!

Have you listened to INFECTIOUS GROOVE?
Muir and Trujillo's other (funky) band...

binnie
09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Yes, but I always found it hard to get into them?

It's hard to pull off funk in my opinion.

Are you fan? If so can you a recommned an album for me to listen to, I have only really heard the odd song before...

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
... Are you fan? If so can you a recommned an album for me to listen to, I have only really heard the odd song before...

Yes, I have (and really enjoy): "Groove Family Cyco.", "What's a Party Without Freaks" and "The Plague That Makes Your Body Move, I't's The Infectious Groove"...

Thry that, it is just funky enough while being heavy too!
Let me know what you think...

binnie
09-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes, I have (and really enjoy): "Groove Family Cyco.", "What's a Party Without Freaks" and "The Plague That Makes Your Body Move, I't's The Infectious Groove"...

Thry that, it is just funky enough while being heavy too!
Let me know what you think...

I most certainly will!

Thanks

binnie
09-11-2006, 12:56 PM
On a different note, what does anyone thnk about the Rage live DVD's??

I was always a little underwhelmed by them - I've heard that they were a good live band (never saw them myself) but I don't think the DVD's reflect that.

Seem a little lacklustre in places to thes ears.

Thoughts?

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
On a different note, what does anyone thnk about the Rage live DVD's??

I was always a little underwhelmed by them - I've heard that they were a good live band (never saw them myself) but I don't think the DVD's reflect that.

Seem a little lacklustre in places to thes ears.

Thoughts?

I was looking at it (on and off) the other day but I will look at it again and tell you if the concerts I've seen match up to that...