PDA

View Full Version : Secret Name For NASA'S New Moonship Slips Out

Nickdfresh
08-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Aug 22, 2006 3:43 pm US/Eastern
Secret Name For NASA'S New Moonship Slips Out

(CBS4/AP) CAPE CANAVERAL A U.S. spaceman has spilled the beans concerning NASA’s top secret name for its new moonship.

The name of the new vehicle that NASA hopes returns astronauts to the moon was supposed to be kept quiet until an announcement next week.

But apparently U.S. astronaut Jeff Williams, floating 220 miles above Earth on the International Space Station, didn't get the memo.

Williams revealed the name -- Orion -- during a taping in advance for the space agency that was transmitted accidentally over space-to-ground radio.

NASA planned to reveal the new name August 31st, when the space agency also announces which contractor will build the vehicle. The contractors competing for the award are Lockheed Martin and a team made up of Northrop Grumman and Boeing.

The crew exploration vehicle will replace the space shuttle program after it ends in 2010.

The names of the rockets that will propel the crew exploration vehicle and a cargo vehicle are Ares One and Ares Five.

© 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc. (http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_234154533.html) All Rights Reserved.

EbDawson
08-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Whoops!

Hardrock69
08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Funny...I thought the name of it was "Secret Moonship"...
:confused:

Tiki-Tom
08-24-2006, 12:56 AM
I thought it shoulda been called Tom's Cruise Ship.

Golden AWe
08-24-2006, 01:12 AM
I thought it was "Cato-san" or "Captain Codswallop".

Funny anyway, to name a spaceship after a Metallica song.. ;)