PDA

View Full Version : Tower Records files for bankruptcy

Steve Savicki
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/media_nm/tower_dc_1

Pfeh. Don't remember the last time I was in one of those or any store that sold mainly music.

FORD
08-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I can remember a time when Tower Records was "The Shit". But that was a while back early to mid 80's. Bought a lot of rare import stuff there that you couldn't get in the US at the time. Some of it you still can't get here - like early U2 singles which were only released in Ireland. It was well worth the gas and the half-hour trip it took me to get to the Tower Records in Tacoma. And I'd hit the Mercer Street or U-district stores if I happenned to be in Seattle. Never left that store empty handed.

But that was the 80's. Tower let themselves become irrelevant in the 90's. The Tacoma store closed and the others stopped carrying the kind of selection they had before . They turned into just another record store and that's when they started to die.

Bummer, but not at all surprising, to hear that they're going down :(

Steve Savicki
08-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Does it surprise you that Clear Channel contributes to this?
That was spoken on the news?

Hardrock69
08-24-2006, 01:10 AM
I hope they get bought by someone and continue to operate.

That is where I buy all my music mags, DVDs, jewel cases, CDs, and where I drool over the hot chick working the cash register.
:cool:

Steve Savicki
08-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Yes, but that could all change with a new buyer.

The_KiD
08-24-2006, 09:02 AM
What is a shame as "Real Record Stores" are a thing of the past.. Buying music online is great but it is just not the same..

KiD

Hardrock69
08-25-2006, 12:52 AM
That is what I dig about Tower....go in, browse, look at the bulletin board at the upcoming gig/band announcements, browse DVDs, CDs, peruse the magazines, maybe buy an action figure, drool over the hot chick some more....I am gonna be pissed off if Tower folds....