PDA

View Full Version : Venezuelan Troops Take U.S. Embassy Bags

LoungeMachine
08-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Venezuelan Troops Take U.S. Embassy Bags

By CHRISTOPHER TOOTHAKER
The Associated Press
Friday, August 25, 2006; 12:13 AM

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Authorities seized several U.S. diplomatic bags at Venezuela's main airport on Thursday, prompting protest from embassy officials and a probe into the Americans' actions by prosecutors.

Attorney General Isaias Rodriguez said prosecutors would investigate U.S. officials for allegedly sidestepping official regulations and checkpoints when bringing the diplomatic bags into the South American country.

Rodriguez made the announcement after Venezuelan National Guard troops seized the bags earlier Thursday from four U.S. embassy vehicles stopped outside Caracas' Simon Bolivar International Airport. The vehicles had just picked up the bags from a U.S. military aircraft on the tarmac, he said.

The U.S. embassy had notified Venezuela's foreign ministry that four diplomatic bags were arriving on the plane, but "many more" were found in the vehicles, he said.

"They contained supplies for the (Venezuelan) armed forces," Rodriguez told reporters. He did not elaborate or say why U.S. officials would be sending supplies to Venezuela's military. No arrests have been made.

The incident was likely to raise tensions between Washington and Venezuela's leftist government.

U.S. Embassy official Brian Penn told Globovision television that Venezuelan authorities _ not U.S. officials _ had acted "illegally" by confiscating the bags. He said the U.S. government would formally protest the incident.

"The embassy of the United States has protested this move by the security forces of the Venezuelan government," said Penn. "They violated diplomatic and international laws."

Penn said the bags contained personal possessions belong to embassy personnel and denied those sent by the embassy at retrieve them had violated any regulations at the airport.

Mari Pili Hernandez, Venezuela's deputy foreign minister for North America, said that officials were reviewing the contents of the bags because they hadn't been inspected by Venezuelan customs officials.

Relations between the countries have been tense in recent months due to allegations by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez that the United States is conspiring against his government, something Washington denies. U.S. officials, meanwhile, have said they believe Chavez represents a threat to stability in Latin America.

Seshmeister
08-25-2006, 05:12 AM
I don't blame them.

The US has a habit of murdering democratically elected people in South America...

Tristan131
06-12-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm as useless as GayDar

GAR
06-12-2009, 03:10 AM
LungMachine gives good throat

Fuck OFF!

GAR
06-12-2009, 03:13 AM
I don't blame them.

The US has a habit of murdering democratically elected people in South America...

Name one!

Seshmeister
06-12-2009, 06:05 AM
President Salvador Allende of Chile in September 1973.

House Would Require CIA Report on 1973 Coup in Chile (http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/1999/02/chilerep.html)

Take back your groan!

Nickdfresh
06-12-2009, 07:16 AM
President Salvador Allende of Chile in September 1973.

House Would Require CIA Report on 1973 Coup in Chile (http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/1999/02/chilerep.html)

Take back your groan!

He was actually murdered by his own military with little US involvement - the the CIA had plotted against him in the past...

The Chilean secret service also murdered one their dissidents in Washington, DC...

GAR
06-14-2009, 03:03 AM
"Workers of my country, I have faith in Chile and its destiny. Other men will overcome this dark and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail. Keep in mind that, much sooner than later, the great avenues will again be opened through which will pass free men to construct a better society. Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!" President Salvador Allende's farewell speech before taking his own life by automatic rifle, 11 September 1973.

GAR
06-14-2009, 03:05 AM
You know, those great purveyors of truth and justice in the interests of American Democracy - MSNBC - should really pick up on this as an international incident worthy of broadcast.

.. eh maybe not.

Blaze
06-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Are they suppose to tip the porters down there? Maybe, the officals didn't have the cash, only plastic.

Blackflag
06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
They're fucking Chinese spammers and they're on most forums. Try not to repost their shitty links, please..

This forum has turned very gay in my absence.

:dickhead:

letsrock
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Venezuela is an issue? Really?

letsrock
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I guess the army down there needed the sling shots.

LoungeMachine
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Venezuela is an issue? Really?

The thread is from 3 years ago, mensa.

:gulp:

letsrock
07-01-2009, 12:06 PM
starting with post #3 thay are all from 2009. I could go and reply to old threads just because if you want.

LoungeMachine
07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
starting with post #3 thay are all from 2009. I could go and reply to old threads just because if you want.

The SUBJECT of the thread is 3 years old, you fucking dipshit.

Why not just admit you didnt notice, and move on?

Why the lame justification?

Your rhetorical at best question was stupid.

:gulp:

No wonder you're becoming the next Savicki.