PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld To Soldiers With Extended Tours: Don't Blame Me, You Volunteered!

blueturk
08-27-2006, 02:36 PM
No press allowed, of course, but you'll probably see it on YouTube...

Rumsfeld Defends Extended Tours in Iraq
Defense Secretary Fields Questions From Wives of Soldiers Given Extra Combat Duty in Iraq
By ROBERT BURNS
The Associated Press
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - In a lively but polite give-and-take, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld fielded questions Saturday from wives and other family members of Alaska-based soldiers whose combat tours in Iraq were abruptly extended just as they prepared to return home this month.

"It is something we don't want to do," Rumsfeld told several hundred family members who gathered in a gymnasium at nearby Ft. Wainwright, home of the 172nd Stryker Brigade. The unit's deployment to Iraq was extended by up to four months to bolster U.S. firepower in the Baghdad area.

"But in this case we had to," he added, referring to the decision made in late July to extend the 172nd.

Asked whether the Army was preparing another brigade to take over for the 172nd in case the intended improvements in Baghdad are not achieved by mid-December, Rumsfeld said he could make no promises.

"I wish I had a magic wand and the power to say yes. I don't," he said. "I will do everything in the world I can do to see that they are not extended beyond the 120 days."

Reporters, including five who traveled with Rumsfeld from Washington, D.C., were not permitted to cover his meeting with the family members, which lasted about an hour. But a wife who made a video tape of the event showed it to reporters afterward.

One wife asked Rumsfeld why the 172nd was doing house-to-house searches in Baghdad instead of the kinds of combat operations they are trained to perform. Rumsfeld disputed her assertion, saying that 95 percent of the house-clearing operations are being done by Iraqi troops.

In an interview during his flight to Fairbanks, Rumsfeld said he saw no reason for the soldiers or their families to be angry at him.

"I don't put it in that context," he said. "These people are all volunteers. They all signed up. They all are there doing what they're doing because they want to do it. They're proud of what they do. They do it very, very well."

Asked why reporters would not be permitted to cover his meeting with the family members, Rumsfeld at first replied, "I don't have any idea. I haven't addressed the subject." Later he said he makes it a practice to make all family meetings private.

A newly formed Alaska chapter of the Military Families Speak Out group issued a statement in Fairbanks saying it would make a public call for the Bush administration to bring home the 172nd and all other U.S. troops. It quoted Jennifer Davis of Anchorage, whose husband is a member of the 172nd.

"I am totally frustrated, disappointed and heart broken," she said in the statement. "Just when I thought we were going to be able to resume a `normal' life and when I thought the nightmare was over, the nightmare was extended."

Rumsfeld said in the in-flight interview that the 172nd Brigade was an effective force during its nearly one-year deployment to the Mosul area in northern Iraq. He said the soldiers performed well in the short time since they shifted to Baghdad as part of an effort by U.S. commanders to quell sectarian killings.

"They did a terrific job in Mosul and they're already doing an excellent job in Baghdad," said Rumsfeld, indicating that commanders chose to extend the 172nd Brigade in part because of their extensive experience in Iraq.

The brigade's tour was extended by up to 120 days, bringing them close to a Christmas return date. Rumsfeld said he would make no promises that the full brigade would be back home by the holidays.

"I'd love to be Santa Claus. I'm not," he told reporters.

If it turned out that by December, U.S. commanders in Iraq felt they needed an unscheduled infusion of troops, "our first choice obviously would be to have them be someone other than the people we just extended," Rumsfeld said. "But I'm not going to get into the promises business. That isn't my style."

On Sunday, Rumsfeld and Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov planned to participate in a ceremony in Fairbanks for a memorial of the Alaska-Siberia Lend Lease program. During World War II, nearly 8,000 U.S. warplanes were flown to Fairbanks by U.S. pilots and turned over to Soviet pilots for use against the Germans.

Rumsfeld also was to tour the missile defense site at Fort Greely, near Fairbanks, where interceptor rockets in underground silos are being developed for potential use in the event of a long-range missile attack on U.S. soil. A test of portions of the system is scheduled to be held in a few days.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/print?id=2360907

DEMON CUNT
08-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Rumsfeld is truly a complete sack of fucking shit and a treasonous son of a bitch!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTldYbqlJc8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTldYbqlJc8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
08-27-2006, 03:20 PM
"Suckers!" Another example of extremist Republican Neo Cons treating the US military like it's their personal bitch.

blueturk
08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
More from Rummy...

"Perhaps the most defiant question given to Rumsfeld on Saturday was from a woman who asked whether the military was training another unit to take the brigade's place and ensure its tour did not have to be extended again.

The question received strong applause, and Rumsfeld quipped: "You knocked it out of the park."

He tried to be reassuring without being definitive.

"You want them home for Christmas?" Rumsfeld asked the crowd.

The families responded with a loud "Yeah!"

"I wish I had a magic wand and the power to say yes. I don't," Rumsfeld said. "I will do everything in the world to make sure they are not extended past the 120 days."

Before the meeting, Rumsfeld told reporters he could not promise a Christmastime return. "I'd love to be Santa Claus, but I am not," he said."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-rumsfeld27aug27,0,3102496,print.story?coll=la-home-headlines

blueturk
08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0ItyRocCCQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0ItyRocCCQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Why is this bastard still collecting a paycheck?

Why is he not up for war crimes?

Why BushCO has NOT asked for his resignation this close to the mid-terms is beyond me...

blueturk
08-27-2006, 08:11 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1FTmuhynaw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1FTmuhynaw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
08-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Let's not forget the Marine reserves have been called up for duty in Iraq.

We are in Iraq with no clear purpose. If you want the US out of Iraq, you just keep killing and kidnapping Americans and their allies. Our Islamic enemies over there know they aren't going anywhere. They can play it like the North Vietmese did and prolong the war until the people back home make it political suicide to keep supporting the war. Bushco will continue to send our soldiers to their deaths while accomplishing nothing. The next president will inherit a tottaly demoralized military, a country with huge deficits and depleted and broken down military equipment with no money to replace it and a long list of dead soldiers and pissed off families.

We will be in Iraq until the end of this decade. Like Vietnam, it will go on for at least ten years. Meanwhile the real badguys in the world know we are stuck in Iraq and Afganstahn so lets fire rockets into Israel and continue the nuclear bomb development program.

Iraq is only wearing our military down and emptying our treasury. When we do leave, we will have nothing to show for it. We learned nothing from Vietnam. All the high tech weapons and millions of pounds of bomb didn't stop an inferior enemy from eventually running us out of there. Why is it different this time?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-28-2006, 02:48 AM
Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control?
Has the captain let go of the wheel?
Or could we please try to find a way to be a bit more kind?
I see the road to tomorrow in the haze!

Nitro Express
08-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Dude, we've been spinning out of control since Vietnam. Nixon had to take us off the gold standard to try and pay for that war. We had an energy crisis and rampant inflation during the Carter years. Then Reagan spent a shitload rebuilding the military and ran up more deficites.

The US went from being an export economy to an import economy will a huge trade defficit and huge liabilities to pay.

We were in bad shape before George W. Bush but he got us involved in something that we can't afford or win. Meanwhile, he rapes what little is left to enrich his rich friends who helped put him in office. The NAFTA Corridor and Haliburton contracts is all those pieces of shit care about. Iraq was a failed oil grab.

Steve Savicki
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
So Rummy scares people to not sign up for the military, we have no offense and we get bombed.

Or, everyone resigns and we reinstate the draft.

Has history gotten us anywhere?

blueturk
08-29-2006, 05:17 PM
And don't forget all the poor souls who suffer from "moral or intellectual confusion" if they oppose the war...

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:47PM
Rumsfeld lashes out at Bush's critics

By ROBERT BURNS AP Military Writer
© 2006 The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY — Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday the world faces "a new type of fascism" and likened critics of the U.S. war strategy to those who tried to appease the Nazis.

In unusually explicit terms, Rumsfeld portrayed the Bush administration's critics as suffering from "moral or intellectual confusion" about what threatens the nation's security. His remarks amounted to one of his most pointed defenses of President Bush' war policies and was among his toughest attacks on the president's critics.

Speaking to several thousand veterans at the American Legion's national convention, Rumsfeld recited what he called the lessons of history, including the failure to confront Hitler in the 1930s. He quoted Winston Churchill as observing that trying to accommodate Hitler was "a bit like feeding a crocodile, hoping it would eat you last."

"I recount this history because once again we face similar challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism," he said.

"Can we truly afford to believe that somehow, some way, vicious extremists can be appeased?" he asked.

"Can we truly afford to return to the destructive view that America _ not the enemy _ is the real source of the world's troubles?"

Rumsfeld spoke to the American Legion as part of a coordinated White House strategy, in advance of the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, to take the offensive against administration critics at a time of doubt about the future of Iraq and growing calls to withdraw U.S. troops.

Rumsfeld recalled a string of recent terrorist attacks, from 9/11 to deadly bombings in Bali, London and Madrid, and said it should be obvious to anyone that terrorists must be confronted, not appeased.

"But some seem not to have learned history's lessons," he said, adding that part of the problem is that the American news media have tended to emphasize the negative rather than the positive.

He said, for example, that more media attention was given to U.S. soldiers' abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib than to the fact that Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith received the Medal of Honor.

He did acknowledge that the U.S. military has its own "bad actors _ the ones who dominate the headlines today _ who don't live up to the standards of the oath and of our country." But he added that they are a small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of troops who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Those who know the truth need to speak out against these kinds of myths and lies and distortions being told about our troops and about our country," he said.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was addressing the American Legion convention later Tuesday, and Bush is scheduled to speak here later in the week. On Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld made separate addresses to the national convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Reno, Nev.

Rumsfeld made similar arguments in Reno about doubters of the administration's approach to fighting terrorism, saying too many in this country want to "blame America first" and ignore the enemy.

Rumsfeld's remarks ignited angry rebukes from Democrats.

"It's a political rant to cover up his incompetence," said Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., a former Army officer and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Reed said he took particular exception to the implication that critics of Pentagon policies are unpatriotic, citing "scores of patriotic Americans of both parties who are highly critical of his handling of the Department of Defense."

Rep. John Murtha, the hawkish Pennsylvania Democrat who voted in favor of the war but recently called for troops to withdraw, said in a statement: "It's interesting to me that they generalize the support for the war. They're not realistic with the fact that there's no progress."

Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., chimed in that Rumsfeld's remarks were trying to "shoot the messenger" rather than examine failed policy.

Rumsfeld defended the war in Iraq, saying that while U.S. military tactics have changed as conditions on the ground have changed, the administration's war strategy has remained constant: "to empower the Iraqi people to defend, govern and rebuild their own country."

In arguing against giving up in Iraq, he said people should know from history that wars are never easy.

"You know from experience that in every war _ personally _ there have been mistakes and setbacks and casualties," he said. "War is," as Clemenceau said, `A series of catastrophes that results in victory."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/politics/4149738.html

LoungeMachine
11-01-2006, 09:26 PM
bump

Nickdfresh
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Yup, "you enlisted now suck-it bitches!!"

That's pretty much the attitude of the online Chickenhawk Brigade in here...