PDA

View Full Version : A matter of life and death

Mr Badguy
08-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Well, what are everyone`s impressions of the new Iron Maiden album?

It`s certainly a weighty piece of work, clocking in at over 72 minutes.

There has been the usual "we`re trying something a bit different this time" vibe but don`t believe the hype, this is an Iron Maiden album and any surprises are not that surprising.

The first few songs are pretty trad Maiden with most of the more unusual stuff coming at the end.

It usually takes me a few spins to get into a new Maiden record and this will certainly be no different, however on first impressions, the ones that have caught my ear are "The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg", "For the greater good of god" and "The Legacy".

If you like Maiden epics then get this, it`s full of them.

Mr Badguy
08-30-2006, 07:17 AM
I wa looking for the single "The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" in the UK charts and couldn`t find it.

You know why?

Because it`s ineligable because of the length of the song.

WTF?

"Bohemian Rhapsody" was only a minute shorter and it was one of the biggest No 1s ever.

When did the length of a song have anything to do with it?

The UK music industry sucks and this is just another way to keep real music out of the charts thus making way for all the manufactured shit we get served up.

I`m sure if some fucking boy band made a ten minute single it would be eligable.

Fucking arseholes.

binnie
08-30-2006, 07:20 AM
WHAT!!!!!

I had no fucking idea that the length of a song had anything to do with it, and i worked in a record shop for seven years!

That is fucking ludicrous - a single is a single, right?

On a sidenote, Maiden are the reason that a single can only be released on three formats to be eligable for the UK charts, because they used to relaese like seven different version of singles and chart really high as a result.

Badguy, have you picked up the album yet?

It's phenomenal - easily better than the last two records....

Mr Badguy
08-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Yes, I always buy the new Maiden album the minute it comes out.

It is good but, strangely, seems to have the best tracks at the end.

The first four or five are standard Maiden stuff but I`m really getting off on "The legacy" and "Sign of the cross" rewrite "For the greater good of god".

I think you have to live with a Maiden record for a couple of years before you rank it with the rest, so I`m not getting carried away with the hype.

Every time a Maiden album comes out it always gets billed as "their best since "Piece of mind"" so I tend not to listen to that bullshit anymore.

binnie
08-30-2006, 08:49 AM
True, there always is hype, but this is definately superior to DOD (which was an odd record) and all the 90's "Back to Roots" records they made, which were awful.

I'm really digging it, I know what you mean about living with them though, "Powerslave" grows on me each time I hear it....

Mr. Vengeance
08-30-2006, 04:16 PM
It's not released in Canada until next week, for some reason. But you can order it online at Future Shop for $9.99, which is a pretty good deal.

binnie
09-01-2006, 04:17 AM
The more I listen to it, the more I think it is spectacular!

binnie
09-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Nikko's performance is mind blowing....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-01-2006, 04:39 AM
It can be downloaded from alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.metal in ape format.

Tiki-Tom
09-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
It can be downloaded from alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.metal in ape format.

It can be purchased at Maiden's website (or soon to be at a store near you!)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
It can be purchased at Maiden's website (or soon to be at a store near you!)

alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.metal is free and it takes 2 minutes.

Jesus Christ
09-02-2006, 04:42 AM
alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.metal is free and it takes 2 minutes.

Thou shalt not steal ;)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Thou shalt not steal ;)

Thy subject already dideth.

Tiki-Tom
09-02-2006, 03:45 PM
You gonna be saying that when United Abominations comes out in '07?;)

Mr Badguy
09-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Well, the first week chart positions are in:

Finland #1
Italy #1
Germany #1
UK #4
Eire #5
Poland #6
Netherlands #7
Australia #12

Wow, I felt like I was reading out the Eurovision scores.

Anyhow, a pretty solid chart performance although the UK have probably doctored it so they can`t make #1.

How will it fare in the states?

Top 30 maybe?

binnie
09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
I agree that the UK charts were probably fixed so it wasn't no.1.

My ex-record store colleagues said it was doing really well....

bastardog
09-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I bougth it at maiden's page for $16 with a t-shirt.
It is suppose to get to the PO box today so I'm waiting to see the booklet and offcourse the shirt.
regarding the music (I already have a copy of the cd) it is annoying some times I feel like it is their bes album since No Praying for the Dying, but sometimes don't
The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg is destined to be one of those Maiden classics you always want to hear live

binnie
09-05-2006, 05:11 PM
If finding it difficult to get off my stereo!

I feel like I'm 13 again and just full of life - that's what good music is all about!

bastardog
09-05-2006, 06:07 PM
rock on! :rockit2:

Tiki-Tom
09-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by binnie
If finding it difficult to get off my stereo!

I feel like I'm 13 again and just full of life - that's what good music is all about!

That's what my lady says every time she gets a new Maiden album! Makes her feel like a kid again.

Originally posted by bastardog
I bougth it at maiden's page for $16 with a t-shirt.
It is suppose to get to the PO box today so I'm waiting to see the booklet and offcourse the shirt.

We pre-ordered it from Maiden's site as well. Of course, the t-shirt belongs to her. It's real tight so I won't complain
;)

This album is way better than I had expected, and I knew it would be good. I'll post my review after a few more listens.

binnie
09-06-2006, 03:50 AM

This album is way better than I had expected, and I knew it would be good. I'll post my review after a few more listens.

Cool!

I Look forward to it.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-06-2006, 04:07 AM
You gonna be saying that when United Abominations comes out in '07?;)

Hell yeah!

Vinnie Velvet
09-06-2006, 09:48 AM
I listened to the first four songs.

It fucking rocks!

Its very dark and heavy in some areas, which is great.

bastardog
09-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Iron Maiden is back in the game.
I hope all metal bands return to shape and take the world from the pop culture

Full Bug
09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Nikko's performance is mind blowing....
Yeah, thats one of the first things I thought of after listening to it, I like it, like any Maiden it takes a few listens, then it grows on you.....

Bill Lumbergh
09-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I was NOT a big fan of DOD, but I'm digging this so far.........

SparkieD
09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
This album is absolutely BRILLIANT! Steve sounds better than he ever has! Nicko's playing is awesome and he's one funny bastard on the DVD, as usual! Bruce even found some of that fire he seemed to save only for his solo efforts of late. Davey and Adrian are still leagues above other guitar tandems as they always were, but with the addition of Jannick, the guitar arrangements are stunning! Jan has really earned his place in the fold and without him, a crucial part of Maiden's sound would be missing. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but his very unique style fit right in with them like he was a missing piece of the puzzle(I mean, hell, he HAS been there for almost seventeen years!). Put all that together and you've got nothing short of fucking BEAUTIFUL!

I've accepted, embraced, and even loved all phases of Maiden, even some that many fans completely rejected(yeah, those two albums:p), but I'm glad to say this was worth waiting for. My beloved Maiden is finally back!

blonddgirl777
09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
[B]... Future Shop for $9.99, which is a pretty good deal.

I got it at that store yesterday... worth the wait!

I will listen to it again and again... I never get tired of listening to Maiden.

The artwork is up to actuality...

theicecreamman
09-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Just picked up the album today from hot topic $9.99. I really enjoyed it.

binnie
09-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Fav songs anyone?

Do we have any Maiden classics here?

Seshmeister
09-08-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Well, the first week chart positions are in:

Finland #1
Italy #1
Germany #1
UK #4
Eire #5
Poland #6
Netherlands #7
Australia #12

Wow, I felt like I was reading out the Eurovision scores.

Anyhow, a pretty solid chart performance although the UK have probably doctored it so they can`t make #1.

How will it fare in the states?

Top 30 maybe?

I guess it will be #1 in Japan too since it's the old Axis powers from WWII that are buying most copies...:)

Mr Badguy
09-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Fav songs anyone?

"The legacy" is my favourite.

Nicely split into three parts.

The first part isn`t your usual Maiden soft bit but it brilliantly sets up the grooving second part. Then the third part has probably the most exciting three guitar stuff that Maiden have ever done with the two guitar harmony and another lead on top, a bit like "The Duellists" from "Powerslave".

All that and an excellent over the top vocal from Bruce.

I hope it makes it to the live set.

blonddgirl777
09-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Fav songs anyone?

1- BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS
2- THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG (I predict this one will be a classic).

They're all good!

blonddgirl777
09-08-2006, 11:59 AM
... an excellent over the top vocal from Bruce...

Well... that NEVER fails!

SparkieD
09-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777

Um, unfortunately, it HAS failed on several occasions. Now you won't find a bigger Maiden fan on this planet than me, but I'm trying to be objective despite how biased I am and how very, very much I love them. Bruce was a big liability to that band for a few years. Plenty of dirt in the biography. Read it. Even 'Arry, Nicko, Davey and Rod Smallwood all agree with me. I swear, the past few Maiden albums you can almost hear him yawn.

Now, his solo albums are the shit. He's his amazing self on those. AND, he's back to his amazing self on Maiden's new disc!

SparkieD
09-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Fav songs anyone?

A whole fucking album full, let me tell ya;)

I can't choose between "...Thousand Suns", "...Breeg", "..GGoG", "Lord of Light", and "The Legacy!"

Maiden's been my fave since I was twelve, and I think it's in the top five of all their albums!

blonddgirl777
09-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
... Now you won't find a bigger Maiden fan on this planet than me...

That's what everybody sais... :rolleyes:

blonddgirl777
09-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Um, unfortunately, it HAS failed on several occasions.... I swear, the past few Maiden albums you can almost hear him yawn....

Despite of the songs, I really think his voice is always clear and strong...
Yes, the solo albums really bring it up!

A lot of singers out there can't sing anymore, passed a certain age...

blonddgirl777
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
...2- THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG (I predict this one will be a classic)....

I just heard that they already made a video of that one... now a feel like an idiot!:o

SparkieD
09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
That's what everybody sais... :rolleyes:

At the risk of being completely predictable...Everybody ELSE 'says' it! I'm the real deal, honey. I MEAN IT!

Twenty-six years of them being my favorite, even when most wrote them off. Not me. I've stood by them thick and thin and bought everything they've released, even if it meant buying something I already had except in a different format. I have a different t-shirt for every day of two weeks (that I currently wear-I actually have about twenty more that I can't bear to part with.) They were the first band I ever saw back in '81 (that would be before Bruce) on my 13th b-day right here in Myrtle Beach. Seen 'em dozens of times since, had to travel at least three hours every time except the first. Got a whole corner of my brain reserved for useless Maiden trivia...

AND my license plate reads IRN MDN!

So you see, I have earned the right to say "YOU WON'T FIND A BIGGER MAIDEN FAN THAN ME!":)

blonddgirl777
09-09-2006, 12:13 AM
...Everybody ELSE 'says' it! ...

Pardon my French!

blonddgirl777
09-09-2006, 12:15 AM
At the risk of being completely predictable...Everybody ELSE 'says' it! I'm the real deal, honey. I MEAN IT!

Twenty-six years of them being my favorite, even when most wrote them off. Not me. I've stood by them thick and thin and bought everything they've released, even if it meant buying something I already had except in a different format. I have a different t-shirt for every day of two weeks (that I currently wear-I actually have about twenty more that I can't bear to part with.) They were the first band I ever saw back in '81 (that would be before Bruce) on my 13th b-day right here in Myrtle Beach. Seen 'em dozens of times since, had to travel at least three hours every time except the first. Got a whole corner of my brain reserved for useless Maiden trivia...

AND my license plate reads IRN MDN!

So you see, I have earned the right to say "YOU WON'T FIND A BIGGER MAIDEN FAN THAN ME!":)

O.K., you are... ONE OF THE biggest Maiden fan... :o

SparkieD
09-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Pardon my French!

Actually, I wasn't crackin' on your grammar. I'm aware of the fact that English is a second language for you. I was emphasizing my point, and since I had already italicized the word before it, I used apostrophies. Some people 'say' it; I 'mean' it. I don't correct people's grammar. It's tacky.

O.K., you are... ONE OF THE biggest Maiden fan... :o

Never said I was THE biggest. What I did say is "YOU WON'T FIND A BIGGER MAIDEN FAN THAN ME!"http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/fighting0092.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

blonddgirl777
09-09-2006, 06:20 AM
... I don't correct people's grammar. It's tacky...

Beleive it or not, that's how I learned most of the English language...
People correcting my words (written and spoken) throughout the years have helped me tremendously.
If I'd would have been offended every time someone did that, I wouldn't be bilingual today!

blonddgirl777
09-09-2006, 06:21 AM
... What I did say is "YOU WON'T FIND A BIGGER MAIDEN FAN THAN ME... [/URL]

O.K. then... I won't bother looking for one!

Mr Badguy
09-09-2006, 06:55 AM

I dunno, he seemed to forget how to sing from 1990-1993 and some of that half sung, half spoken stuff on "No prayer for the dying" and "Fear of the dark" is shit.

The rumour was that "The world slavery tour" had shot his voice.

When he originally left Maiden I wasn`t bothered because I thought he was past it.

Then, come "Skunkworks" and "Accident of birth" and his singing is amazing and you could tell that he still had it but just wasn`t trying in his last few years with Maiden.

It`s good to see him bursting his lungs again.

The_KiD
09-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I just took my first listen and it is definitely a solid album. I am looking forward to spending some more time with it this weekend. My only initial complaint is that the recording could be so much better. I mean it is really not that difficult to record and mix metal properly..
I will post again once I spend some more time with it. so far though, big props to Maiden on a solid peice of work..

KiD

SparkieD
09-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
My only initial complaint is that the recording could be so much better. I mean it is really not that difficult to record and mix metal properly..

KiD

I see what you mean, but that was kind of the point with this album. I was quite surprised when 'Arry decided to forego re-mixing. I hear noises that I've not heard on a Maiden album in a looonnnggg time that normally would've been taken out. However, I dig the return to the rawness that nobody's heard from them since Killers. There's even a hint of the first album here and there, which is way fuckin' cool!

And I'm bordering on orgasmic about the return of the Maiden gallop:killer:

Hardrock69
09-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Got it last night. Maiden is a band that is on my permanent list of "Bands whose material I always buy IMMEDIATELY", though I did wait 3 days until last night.

Superb. And I can tell it has not been mastered....it has that wide-open feel that comes from no compression.

They are one of the most kickass bnds in metal history.

I was quite suprised when I saw them in 2000.....Bruce's vocals blew my mind. Perhaps it was because he was on tour with Queensryche & Halford, and he felt he had something to prove, but by god he surely did prove one thing: He was better than he used to be. He hit some notes that shocked the hell out of me.

And dammit.....they are playing so few dates on their US Tour this fall that once again I have to miss them.

Most of the time, I can only see their shows by getting bootleg DVDs.

Looks like that will be the case once again.

Up The Irons!!!!
:cool:

Mr. Vengeance
09-09-2006, 07:19 PM
After finally having a chance to listen after owning it for 4 days, I have to say I like it a alot. When I first saw the song list, I thought "Oh great, another bunch of Steve Harris, "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" songs...but they all are pretty good. Nothing boring. I love the Lagacy! I have to say that I get a little tired of the slow long intros that eventually break into a rocking tune, but I guess that's their "style" now. I'd say it's a keeper!

blonddgirl777
09-10-2006, 12:39 AM
... When he originally left Maiden I wasn`t bothered because I thought he was past it...

Right now, I can't think of one singer who can still high pitch that way at that age...

Most of those guy's voices really start to fail from age 40 and they eventually become painful to listen to, live. Some of them are extremely disapointing.

At least with Bruce, what you hear on the record is very similar than what you hear at the concert...

binnie
09-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Bruce's voice is prob the best of the veteran metal singers.

Kid - I agree with you on the recording, but you get used to it after a few spins, and it actually adds a life to the songs.

Blondgirll, didn't realise that you were bilingual, I always respect those who are. It is a testament to how good your English is that I had no idea that it wasn't your first language.....

binnie
09-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I still can't pick a fav song on this record.....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-10-2006, 02:47 PM
10/10!

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=11024

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
English was my first language, Spanish is my second. Russian is a work in progress. Spanish is easy, and I'm always perfecting it... I am a beginner in Russian. Russian is a bitch! I have to put a lot of time into it.
This gives you an idea =
http://www.yazik.com/Numbers/Ordinal.htm

Сегодня десятое сентября. All that shit to say "Today's September 10th".

blondgirl has good English; maybe I'll learn français one day :)

SparkieD
09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I still can't pick a fav song on this record.....

I had a lot of trouble narrowing it down as well. First I narrowed it to five, then three. Now I'm trying to decide between "...1000 Suns" and "Lord of Light." It's taken me probably 50 spins to decide, but I think it'll end up LoL just because there's elements of almost every Maiden era in that song.

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 12:12 AM
... Blondgirll, didn't realise that you were bilingual, I always respect those who are. It is a testament to how good your English is that I had no idea that it wasn't your first language.....

Now that is one very nice compliment... Thank You! :D

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 12:14 AM
... blondgirl has good English; maybe I'll learn français one day :)

If you where able to learn RUSSIAN and are able to speak Spanish... French shall be a peice of croissant!

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 12:16 AM
B.T.W.:
Bruce speaks French very well...
Everytime he comes to MTL, he adress the crowd in French.
"Quelle heure est-il?", "Quelle heure est-il?" ("What time is it"?)...
It is 2 minutes to midnight!!! :rockit2:

Haaaa.... that man has been my knight in shining armor for years!

Tiki-Tom
09-11-2006, 02:13 AM
I'v been wanting to post my review of the disk but I can barely get it away from my woman long enough to give it a good listen.http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/evil3.gif
I'll post the review as soon as I can pry it out of her hands for any length of time.

binnie
09-11-2006, 03:21 AM
Now that is one very nice compliment... Thank You! :D

No thanks required!

binnie
09-11-2006, 03:22 AM
I had a lot of trouble narrowing it down as well. First I narrowed it to five, then three. Now I'm trying to decide between "...1000 Suns" and "Lord of Light." It's taken me probably 50 spins to decide, but I think it'll end up LoL just because there's elements of almost every Maiden era in that song.

50 spins, Jesus!!

You really are the biggest Maiden fan!

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I'v been wanting to post my review of the disk but I can barely get it away from my woman long enough to give it a good listen.[IMG]

AAaaaah.... Women!

My husband bought it and immidiately played it in his car. Then he came home (late) and put it into his comp.
for us both to listen...
The next morning, I "hid it" to make sure he wouldn't leave with it on his way to work.
But I didn't know he had already burned it for me...

He was pissed :mad: and I felt bad! :(

SparkieD
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
50 spins, Jesus!!

You really are the biggest Maiden fan!

Well, I'm only 5'2 and a buck-o-five;)

binnie
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM

Ha Ha!!

bastardog
09-11-2006, 03:17 PM
By this moment my favs are Lord Of Light and These Colours Don't Run........it could change on any moment
I really enjoy the whole album

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM

Now I JUST realized that SparkieD is a girl! :rolleyes:
(The same one who posted in my "Hot Dudes" thread)...
Cool! :D

No, No... I'm not dumb!!! :o
L.O.L.

SparkieD
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Now I JUST realized that SparkieD is a girl! :rolleyes:
(The same one who posted in my "Hot Dudes" thread)...
Cool! :D

No, No... I'm not dumb!!! :o
L.O.L.

Yeah, I'm Tiki-Tom's chickadee. Looked like a fun place, so I figured I'd hop on this bandwagon.

BTW, I gotta fix those red x's in your thread. That guy (Matt Duffie) is a hottie:D

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
B.T.W.:
Bruce speaks French very well...
Everytime he comes to MTL, he adress the crowd in French.
"Quelle heure est-il?", "Quelle heure est-il?" ("What time is it"?)...
It is 2 minutes to midnight!!! :rockit2:

Haaaa.... that man has been my knight in shining armor for years!

French looks like a cool language. If I ever decide to pick it up, I will chat with you ;)

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
French looks like a cool language. If I ever decide to pick it up, I will chat with you ;)

Be my guess!

blonddgirl777
09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
... BTW, I gotta fix those red x's in your thread. That guy (Matt Duffie) is a hottie:D

Yes, and make sure to post some more!
We won't tell Tiki Tom... ;)

binnie
09-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I'm Tiki-Tom's chickadee. Looked like a fun place, so I figured I'd hop on this bandwagon.

BTW, I gotta fix those red x's in your thread. That guy (Matt Duffie) is a hottie:D

Well it's good to have ya here!!

SparkieD
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Well it's good to have ya here!!

Thanks, Bin.

binnie
09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Not a problem...

SparkieD
09-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Yes, and make sure to post some more!
We won't tell Tiki Tom... ;)

Oh, I plan to:D

Tiki's cool. He won't care. He's my real-life hottie(really!!)

Mr. Vengeance
09-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Must every thread remind me that everyone has chicks but me? :(

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Be my guess!

Sacre bleu woman, it's "be my guest", not guess!

:o

SparkieD
09-12-2006, 09:56 PM

Muskrat, you must be scaring 'em off with all that Cap'n and Tenille you've been listening tohttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/liebe/love-smiley-001.gif

binnie
09-13-2006, 04:04 AM

Chin up dude!

blonddgirl777
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Sacre bleu woman, it's "be my guest", not guess!

:o

Tabarnac!
I will make those kinda mistakes 'till I die :confused:

Ant it's "Sacré Bleu"... :o :o

Hardrock69
09-13-2006, 12:25 PM
THey sold about 56,000 copies in the US to help them Debut at #9 on the Billboard top 200 album chart.

bastardog
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
a good number for just one week

Tiki-Tom
09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
A great number considering it is the U.S.A and our music sales for hardrock/metal tend to lean toward the trendy mallrat bands. Loyaloty towards older real metal bands seems to be way behind other countries. A fickle lot we are.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Tabarnac!
I will make those kinda mistakes 'till I die :confused:

Ant it's "Sacré Bleu"... :o :o

Í dídñ´t hávé thé áççéñtéd kéybóárd módé ópéñ át thé tímé.

binnie
09-14-2006, 05:56 AM
A great number considering it is the U.S.A and our music sales for hardrock/metal tend to lean toward the trendy mallrat bands. Loyaloty towards older real metal bands seems to be way behind other countries. A fickle lot we are.

Maiden always do well over here - but the British market is just as fickle to older bands as anywhere else.

56,000 not bad, maybe it will go Gold??

Tiki-Tom
09-14-2006, 07:47 AM
IRON MAIDEN's "Dance Of Death" sold 40,308 copies during its first week of release and debuted at No. 18 on The Billboard 200 chart.
"Brave New World" sold 37,618 copies in its first week and charted No. 39. So it's already doing better than those numbers. It looks to be a hit here in the states.

Wonder if it'll keep up that momentum.

binnie
09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Fuckin hope so!

It's a great record and deserves to be succesful.

SparkieD
09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
"IRON MAIDEN's new album "A Matter Of Life And Death" has not only been released to enormous critical acclaim across the globe but has also resulted in some of their highest chart placings ever. In addition to their No. 1 chart debut on the Billboard Pan-European chart, the album has now debuted at No. 9 on The Billboard 200 chart and at No. 2 in Canada.

This is the band's first ever U.S. Top 10 entry in their long and illustrious history and a remarkable achievement, this being their 14th studio album. The album is also No. 1 in the U.S. Independent Album chart. It has even crashed in at No. 4 in the official album chart in India which is far and away the highest placing any heavy rock act has ever achieved in that country.

Band founder Steve Harris comments: "We really enjoyed the process of making this record and were delighted with the reaction. It's very gratifying that our fans all over the world seem to agree by supporting us so strongly. We are now very much looking forward to the forthcoming tour and intend to play live as much of the album as we feel works in the set. This tour will be very different to the last one in terms of the songs we play and we will very much enjoy the challenge of playing this new material live."

Manager Rod Smallwood adds: "This is great news for the band, especially — finally — a Top 10 U.S. Billboard entry. During the '80s we had six straight million-plus selling platinum records and all of these would have been at least Top 10 under SoundScan with three or four probably debuting at No. 1. Having said that, though, we are very pleased to finally make it and this, along with great sales all over the world and No. 1 in Europe, really is a testament to MAIDEN's and metal's ever-increasing popularity. We very much look forward to starting our world tour in the States and Canada in early October and if ticket sales are anything to go by it will be quite an event for our fans over there."

MAIDEN's Top 10 U.S. debut comes hot on the heels of the band's No. 1 album in Europe on Billboard's Pan-European chart with nine No. 1 and eighteen Top 5 chart entries in Europe alone. First-week sales in the U.K. were also at their highest since 1990. In just the first week the new album has shipped over a million copies worldwide and impacted on the charts pretty well everywhere in the world.

Next month the band start "A Matter Of Life And Death World Tour" which takes them initially into major arenas through North America, Japan and most of Europe with the majority of the dates already sold out. They will play to over half a million fans over 44 shows in 11 weeks in 18 countries.

Chart breakdown summary to date:

#1: Germany, Sweden, Italy, Finland, Greece, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Poland, Brazil
#2: Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Hungary, Columbia
#3: Chile
#4: UK, Austria, Spain, India
#5: France, Ireland, Arabia
#6: Iceland, Belgium
#7: Holland
#8: Denmark
#9: USA
#10: Mexico
#11: Portugal, Japan
#12: Australia
#15: Hong Kong
#16: New Zealand "

Well, 'Arry said they would see how it went in the US...I think their first top ten is a really good reason to tour...really TOUR here! I breaks my heart that they aren't planning to come anywhere remotely close to my neck of the woods.

blonddgirl777
09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
...I breaks my heart that they aren't planning to come anywhere remotely close to my neck of the woods.

They will be here, in MTL on Oct 10th...
You 2 come on up! :rockit2: :rockit2:

SparkieD
09-15-2006, 12:44 AM
They will be here, in MTL on Oct 10th...
You 2 come on up! :rockit2: :rockit2:

That would be sweet! Too bad I've used up all my trip time till February.

Maybe I'm paying the price for seeing them too many times before:cry2:

binnie
09-15-2006, 03:39 AM
Tickets for their Uk tour are completely sold out!

Damnit!

Mr Badguy
09-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Tickets for their Uk tour are completely sold out!

Damnit!

Jeez, the amount of people who have moaned to me about that because I was sensible enough to get them when they went on sale and now they can`t get any.

If they had been to the last two tours then they would have noticed that the houses were full.

I saw the sell out coming.

If anyone hasn`t got a ticket I say "Fuck `em".

The hardcore get them when they come out.

These Johnny-come-latelys probably weren`t there in the dark years (1995-98) when Maiden were playing venues half the size of the ones they`re playing now.

SparkieD
09-15-2006, 08:30 AM
I would be first in line if they would just play within 500 miles of here. I always was, even in those 'dark years'.

That said, next time they tour I'm considering flying overseas to see them. Always wanted to see them on their home turf.

binnie
09-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Jeez, the amount of people who have moaned to me about that because I was sensible enough to get them when they went on sale and now they can`t get any.

If they had been to the last two tours then they would have noticed that the houses were full.

I saw the sell out coming.

If anyone hasn`t got a ticket I say "Fuck `em".

The hardcore get them when they come out.

These Johnny-come-latelys probably weren`t there in the dark years (1995-98) when Maiden were playing venues half the size of the ones they`re playing now.

Well, I agree with you entirely (it is my own fault). however, I spent so long trying to convince the Mrs to go (she isn't a fan, to put it mildly) that by the time I had I couldn't get tickets.

Next time, I'll just buy em and tell her shes comin......

I honestly didn't see the sellout coming as quickly as it did!

Tiki-Tom
09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
I spent so long trying to convince the Mrs to go (she isn't a fan, to put it mildly) that by the time I had I couldn't get tickets.

Next time, I'll just buy em and tell her shes comin......

Guess I'm lucky. My lady dragged me to my first Maiden show back in '87 on the Somewhere in Time world tour. She was a seasoned vet by then. I was just along for the ride...hehhee. I was already a fan but became a bigger fan. Maybe your woman will come around if she sees 'em.

The_KiD
09-16-2006, 04:24 PM
The more time I spend with this album, the more I like it.. Did anyone else's come with a Patch inside?

KiD

binnie
09-18-2006, 03:55 AM
The more time I spend with this album, the more I like it.. Did anyone else's come with a Patch inside?

KiD

Nope.

Damnit!

Mr Badguy
09-18-2006, 07:20 AM

KiD

I got a bonus DVD with mine, which I`m quite glad about as that edition has sold out now.

Never got a patch, though.

binnie
09-18-2006, 09:12 AM
The bonus DVD is pretty cool tho!

The_KiD
09-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Yea, mine came with the bonus DVD too and this black and white Patch. It is Eddies head with the army helmet and to riffles crossed like cross bones. Pretty cool...

I bought mine at Best Buy here in DC.. Wonder if the Patch is a limited release thing..

KiD

binnie
09-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Sounds cool Kid!

Just like buying a record in the 80's, they'll probably put stickers in the next one!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-20-2006, 03:44 AM
There was definitely a lack of promotion on this record. I wouldn't have even known that they were coming out with this awesome record had I not been a member of this site.

My favorite song: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Tiki-Tom
09-20-2006, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't have even known that they were coming out with this awesome record had I not been a member of this site.

Hell yes............ the perks man!!!!Roth Army perks!!!

SparkieD
09-20-2006, 08:10 AM
There was definitely a lack of promotion on this record. I wouldn't have even known that they were coming out with this awesome record had I not been a member of this site.

My favorite song: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

It is an awesome record, and that is one of the best songs on there. I still haven't been able to listen to anything else since it was released. I'm glad you like it that much. I'm curious though, of what you think of Bruce's vox. They seemed to piss you off a few threads back. Hope you've had a change of heart.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-21-2006, 04:04 PM
His voice is fine and very powerful. However, he needs to just shut the fuck up on some songs. He can <i>definitely</i> overdo his yelling.... listen to "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" without killing yourself and you're a very patient man.

SparkieD
09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
His voice is fine and very powerful. However, he needs to just shut the fuck up on some songs. He can <i>definitely</i> overdo his yelling.... listen to "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" without killing yourself and you're a very patient man.

SSoaSS I can take or leave. He's done better, but he's done a hell of a
lot worse. But, I think I've made it pretty clear in here just how much I love (almost) all things Maiden. Maybe I'm not objective enough.

Oh, and patience is not a strong point of mine. Just ask Tiki:p

binnie
09-22-2006, 04:06 AM
His voice is fine and very powerful. However, he needs to just shut the fuck up on some songs. He can <i>definitely</i> overdo his yelling....

I can see why you think that, but I think it's become part of the Maiden sound. I mean, over the top and Maiden are virtually synonymous!

Tiki-Tom
09-23-2006, 12:17 AM
It's been a while coming, but here's my review. I burned a copy of my girl's disc when she wasn't looking:P

OK, here goes:

1. Different World - Great classic Maiden song:)

2. These Colours Don't Run - Sounds like a leftover from DOD, unnecessary filler. :sleepy:

3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - Another very good tune. Possible classic :cool:

4. Pilgrim - Ehh, more filler, not very inspired. I could take it or leave it. :(

5. Longest Day - Same as track #4:confused: I was starting to get a little worried but .................The tunes get nothing but better from here on till the end.

6. Out of the Shadows - Good solid song but for me it really sounds more like a Bruce solo tune. The vibe just seems more like his work than Maiden's. :)

[ This last part of the disk is pure classic Maiden! Very creative and on par with their best early work.]

7. Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - Love the groove on this one. :D

8. For the Greater Good of God - Very good. Another possible classic. :D

9. Lord of Light - This is the Maiden machine firing on all cylinders. I'm happy :rockit:

10. Legacy - Man, this is by far my favorite on the disc. With every listen I love it more. The song just takes you in at the start and doesn't let up till the end. The mood of the song is almost surreal if you close your eyes. Goose bumps I tell you. Creeeeeepy. :killer: :killer: :killer:

In summary, it's been a while but we've finally got another classic.

Panamark
09-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Fook !!!

I better get this album !!!

I want to comment :)

Panamark
09-23-2006, 07:03 AM
MAIDEN RULES !

SparkieD
09-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
MAIDEN RULES !

Hell yeah they do. You really gotta go get AMoLaD...you're missing out on the best metal disc of the year!

Vinnie Velvet
09-27-2006, 11:13 AM
The Legacy is my favorite track off the album.

Its fucking awesome -- some classic Maidenesque riffs there.

Matt White
09-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm gonna have to break down and buy this one...........

binnie
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Fook !!!

I better get this album !!!

I want to comment :)

You won't be disappointed, it's incredible!

redfire
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by theicecreamman
Just picked up the album today from hot topic $9.99. I really enjoyed it.

Damn my Hot Topic is selling it for $18.99