PDA

View Full Version : One in 3 Americans say US "aided" 9-11

FORD
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
ONE IN 3 AMERICANS SAY U.S. AIDED 9/11

By THOMAS HARGROVE and GUIDO H. STEMPEL III

August 3, 2006 -- More than one-third of Americans suspect federal officials assisted in the 9/11 terrorist attacks or took no action to stop them so the United States could go to war in the Middle East, according to a new poll.

The survey also found that 16 percent of Americans speculate that secretly planted explosives, not burning passenger jets, were the real reason the massive Twin Towers of the World Trade Center collapsed.

The national Scripps Howard/Ohio University poll of 1,010 adults also found that anger against the federal government is at record levels, with 54 percent saying they "personally are more angry" at the government than they used to be.

Widespread resentment and alienation toward the national government appears to be fueling a growing acceptance of conspiracy theories about the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Suspicions that the 9/11 attacks were an inside job quickly have become nearly as popular as decades-old conspiracy theories that the federal government was responsible for President John Kennedy's assassination and that it has covered up proof of space aliens.

Seventy percent of people who give credence to these theories also say they've become angrier with the federal government than they used to be.

Thirty-six percent of respondents overall said it is "very likely" or "somewhat likely" that federal officials either participated in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon or took no action to stop them "because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East."

"One out of three sounds high, but that may very well be right," said Lee Hamilton, former vice chairman of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (also called the 9/11 commission).

His congressionally appointed investigation concluded that federal officials bungled their attempts to prevent, but did not participate in, the attacks by al Qaeda five years ago.

"A lot of people I've encountered believe the U.S. government was involved," Hamilton said. "Many say the government planned the whole thing. Of course, we don't think the evidence leads that way at all."

University of Florida Law Professor Mark Fenster, author of the book "Conspiracy Theories: Secrecy and Power in American Culture," said the poll's findings reflect public anger at the unpopular Iraq war, realization that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction and growing doubts of the veracity of the Bush administration.

"What has amazed me is not that there are conspiracy theories, but that they didn't seem to be getting any purchase among the American public until the last year or so," Fenster said.

The survey found that people who regularly use the Internet and not mainstream media are significantly more likely to believe in 9/11 conspiracies.

The survey was conducted by telephone from July 6 through 24 at the Scripps Survey Research Center at the University of Ohio under a grant from the Scripps Howard Foundation. The poll has a margin of error of 4 percentage points. Scripps Howard

Home
NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM
are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.
Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

Nickdfresh
08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Better than 50% of Americans think Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11 too.

LoungeMachine
08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Better than 50% of Americans think Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11 too.

90% of the troops in Iraq.

Wasn't it Hilter who said the bigger the lie, the more people will believe it?

scamper
08-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Just proves one out of three people are out of there. Bush is truely an idiot but if you think our gov. was in on the attacks you need help.

Ellyllions
08-30-2006, 07:46 AM
I believe our government aided in 9/11.

It took years to plan those attacks and while Slick Willy was working on all of his "damage control" he was being warned about Bin Laden. He just didn't have time to do much more than lob a few bombs here and there because he was busy trying to save his own ass.

Besides that, I know what goes on with jurisdiction battles and glory hounds when it comes to law enforcement. On a very small scale, I might add...but it's all relevant. So there's not a doubt in my mind that the intelligence miners with the respective government agencies were unwilling to work together on the information they had. Each agency wanted their piece of the pie so they could get more Federal monies at the end of a reporting year...

Our government aided 9/11 by basically fighting over the jurisdiction of it all like two toddlers playing tug of war with a toy. And the President's Administration had too much to do to keep Willy from looking like a tool....

ThrillsNSpills
08-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by FORD
ONE IN 3 AMERICANS SAY U.S. AIDED 9/11

The survey found that people who regularly use the Internet and not mainstream media are significantly more likely to believe in 9/11 conspiracies.

Captain obvous alert.
Did anyone think that productions like Loose Change would be ABC's movie of the week?

Nickdfresh
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
I believe our government aided in 9/11.

It took years to plan those attacks and while Slick Willy was working on all of his "damage control" he was being warned about Bin Laden. He just didn't have time to do much more than lob a few bombs here and there because he was busy trying to save his own ass.

Besides that, I know what goes on with jurisdiction battles and glory hounds when it comes to law enforcement. On a very small scale, I might add...but it's all relevant. So there's not a doubt in my mind that the intelligence miners with the respective government agencies were unwilling to work together on the information they had. Each agency wanted their piece of the pie so they could get more Federal monies at the end of a reporting year...

Our government aided 9/11 by basically fighting over the jurisdiction of it all like two toddlers playing tug of war with a toy. And the President's Administration had too much to do to keep Willy from looking like a tool....

Oh yeah, of course "Slick Willy" wasn't President on Sept. 11.

Bush did absolutely NOTHING regarding Islamic terror until after 9/11.

Clinton was severally criticized by the Republican leadership for "wagging the dog" when firing retaliatory missiles at Bin Laden's camp, then of course, he was "sleeping" according to the same Republicans.

But yeah, other than that, it was all HIS fault, huh? :rolleyes:

Pres. Bush's August 2001 Threat Briefing
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0409041pdb1.gif
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0409041pdb2.gif

Full: http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB116/pdb8-6-2001.pdf

FORD
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Actually, Nick.... let's spin this around.

It's true that Clinton was distracted from his job for most of his Presidency.

He was distracted by a ridiculous investigation which was directed and funded by the BCE and other enemies of this country such as Richard Mellon Scaife.

The investigation first centered on a 25 year old real estate deal, and then when that failed to produce any results, moved into the President's private life.

WHY would the BCE and their friends want to keep the President of the United States distracted and try to prevent him from doing his job?

THAT is the question that we should be asking.

But in the end, the reality is that Clinton missed Bin Laden by a matter of hours with those missile attacks in 1998. Chimpy never came close to killing or capturing him and he had 2,700 good reasons for doing so.

Or so we have been told.....

Ellyllions
08-30-2006, 12:27 PM
And that's where you stopped reading my post?

Hey Nick, just for the record Bush ain't no better than Willy in my book.

So you wear your glasses and I'll wear mine, mkay?

Nickdfresh
08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
I should say Bush is a hell of a lot worse.

Warham
08-31-2006, 06:08 PM
One in three Americans also believe we've been visited by aliens from outer space.

Probably the same people.

FORD
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Warham
One in three Americans also believe we've been visited by aliens from outer space.

Probably the same people.

It's certainly possible. But there isn't nearly as much evidence to support that as there is evidence of BCE involvement in 9-11-01.

knuckleboner
09-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by FORD
It's certainly possible. But there isn't nearly as much evidence to support that as there is evidence of BCE involvement in 9-11-01.

depends on what you mean by "evidence."

eyewitness accounts of UFOs by misidentifying a stealth bomber IS evidence. there's a TON of that kind of evidence. it's just not good evidence.

and yes, the same works for the government's purported involvement in 9/11...

Nickdfresh
09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
"Thirty-six percent of respondents overall said it is "very likely" or "somewhat likely" that federal officials either participated in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon or took no action to stop them 'because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East.;"

Ford, this doesn't mean that they embrace conspiracy theories. Of course members of the gov't ignored the signs of an impending attack, but that's different from "inside job."