PDA

View Full Version : HOORAY! Roy Keane to manage Sunderland!!!

Golden AWe
08-29-2006, 11:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/5295422.stm

Roy Keane dismissed doubts about his relationship with chairman Niall Quinn as he took over as Sunderland boss.

Keane, who was unveiled as the Black Cats' new manager on Tuesday, had a bitter feud with Quinn at the World Cup finals in 2002.

But former Manchester United star Keane said: "People have this impression of me but it's important to move on.

"I've had differences with thousands of people. Working with Niall I really don't see a problem."

Interview: New Sunderland boss Roy Keane

He added: "I'm humble enough to apologise if I've done anything wrong."

After the fall-out in Japan, Keane referred to Quinn as "Mother Theresa" and also branded him a "muppet" and a "coward" for not backing him over his problems with the then-Ireland manager Mick McCarthy.

But Keane added: "People make a big issue of what happened but when I met with Niall three months ago we sorted it out there and then - whether I was going to take this job or not which was important for me."

"But I care about the game and I will look to get that balance right."

During his time at Manchester United, Keane's fiery character shone through both on and off the field.

But he dismissed doubts that he does not have the right temperament for management.

"I have crossed that line and it's cost me a lot - the World Cup in 2002 and my United career I suppose," he said.

"I've made mistakes - I'm just glad I've got this opportunity and I hope to make the most of it.

"All I ever expected from my team-mates was 100%, I never criticised people for having a bad game.

"I spoke to the players this morning and reassured them that if they give 100% there won't be a problem.

"When I was playing I saw games as a war - that was part of my image. I had to lead by example and we would win at all costs.

"It's a balancing act and I can't go off the handle as much as a player.

"If something is not going like I want it I'll still look to nail it - just a bit more subtly.

"In terms of style I've played under some great managers, some good managers and some maybe not so good. I hope I can take the best of all of them.

"It's going to be a learning curve and people go on about experience but there's been some experienced managers here and it's not worked out.

"I'm young and I'm hungry, I enjoy football and have got lots of ideas."

Keane said he had spoken to Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson over the last few days.

He said: "I was very, very fortunate to play under him and I'm sure he'll lend me a few players if I need them."

Quinn tried to bring Keane in as manager when he took control of the club three months ago, but he opted to concentrate on getting his coaching qualifications.

But when Quinn called again earlier this month Keane said "within 10 seconds I thought what I'm waiting for.

"It's a big club, a beautiful stadium, a big fan base so why not?"

Keane said he had compiled a list of 15 to 20 potential new players but hoped to bring in one or two experienced names before the transfer window closes on Thursday.

Quinn vowed to back Keane, adding: "Roy has the brief to take the club where he sees it - and he's got as much time as he wants.

"He's the safest bet of every manager put in front of me - all the lights came on with Roy Keane's name - it became an obvious choice.

"We're trying to do some really positive for the future. It's about onwards and upwards."

Keane revealed former Manchester United assistant Brian Kidd has turned down the chance to join his backroom staff due to family commitments, but the door has been left open for him.

He has brought in Leicester's academy boss Tony Loughlan as his head coach but vowed to give the staff currently at Sunderland a chance.

Keane said: "Tony's the same age as me, he's young, enthusiastic, loves his football and is a very good coach.

"I've known him since the first day at Nottingham Forest and he's one person I have kept in touch with. I trust him and have got great faith in him, he'll be a very, very good coach."

Golden AWe
08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
KEANE QUOTES

"He shouldn't be lying on the floor. Defenders shouldn't be on their backsides. I felt that he got in the way"

(After stamping on Gareth Southgate)

"They have a few drinks and probably the prawn sandwiches, and they don't realise what is going on out on the pitch. I don't think some of them can spell football, never mind understand it"
(On Man Utd's corporate fans)

"Even in the dressing room afterwards I had no remorse. My attitude was, 'what goes around comes around'"

(On his tackle on Alf-Inge Haarland)

Romeo Delight
08-30-2006, 03:28 AM
Sunderland came to Vancouver last summer with their full squad and our club team, The Vancouver Whitecaps, trounced the boys from the house of Shite;) 5-nil or something like that.

I was on the pitch, heckling your goalie...

I think your boys underestimated the quality of soccer/football over here.

Golden AWe
08-30-2006, 06:11 AM
I do know Canada has been to World Cup Finals too...

Mr Badguy
08-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Fucking Irish cunt.

Send the bastard back.

Golden AWe
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
I've always disliked him and felt he's best described with the words "cant", "arrogant prick" and "cant" but now that he might save Sunderland...YEAH!!!