• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Ronaldinho angered over media claims

Wednesday August 30, 2006

Barcelona striker Ronaldinho has angrily denied claims by a Moroccan newspaper that he showed indifference to the suffering of Lebanese children killed in the recent war with Israel.

The World and European Footballer of the Year -- who sponsors several internationally-recognised projects for children -- was accused of backing Israel by Moroccan sports newspaper Al Noukhba.

The paper claimed -- without offering any evidence to support the claim -- that he had displayed nonchalance upon hearing of the death of thousands of Lebanese children.

But the assertions provoked a furious response from the Brazilian international, who took the unusual step of making a statement on the European champions' website, www.fcbarcelona.com, to deny the claims.

"It is absolutely false, and cruel to suggest that the death of children is something which does not bother me," the statement read.

"I have always supported the rights of children."

Ronaldinho also denied making any declarations or supporting parties linked to the recent war in the Middle East.

"No one has made contact with me to commment on this conflict, and I have not agreed or spoken about anything to do with the war," added the Brazilian.

Ronaldinho was recently named a United Nations Goodwill ambassador.

As well as being a spokesman for the UN, he also supports programme by children's charity UNICEF.
    sigpic
Working...