PDA

View Full Version : Two NYS Troopers Ambushed/Shot by Escaped Convict

Nickdfresh
09-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Escaped Convict Wanted in N.Y. Shootings
Friday, September 1, 2006 4:22 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By CAROLYN THOMPSON

FREDONIA, N.Y. (AP) — Two New York state troopers were in critical condition Friday after being shot with what investigators believe was a high-powered rifle fired by an escaped convict.

Joseph Longobardo, 32, and Donald Baker Jr., 38, were shot Thursday evening in Chautauqua County in western New York, State Police Superintendent Wayne Bennett said. Escaped convict Ralph "Bucky" Phillips is the prime suspect in the shootings, he said.

"It's clear to me the troopers were ambushed," Bennett said.

One trooper was shot in the back with a bullet that pierced his bullet-resistant vest and exited through his abdomen, Bennett said. The other was shot in the thigh and suffered massive blood loss due to a severed artery, he said.

Neither trooper saw Phillips before they were shot.

Bennett, who flew from Albany to the state police barracks in Fredonia late Thursday, ordered 75 additional troopers to help with the manhunt for Phillips around western New York.

Phillips, 44, escaped on April 2 from the Erie County jail, where he was sent for violating parole on a burglary conviction, police said.

He is wanted in the June 10 shooting of a state trooper near Elmira. Trooper Sean Brown survived after being shot in the abdomen as he approached a stolen car believed to be driven by Phillips.

Since his escape, Phillips has evaded police and helped himself to food, clothes and guns from unattended homes and hunting cabins in western New York.

He is believed to have stolen about 15 cars since his escape, police said.

Last weekend, Phillips was suspected of stealing several weapons from a gun shop and a nearby car, state police said.

Police believe Phillips has been traveling back and forth between Philadelphia and New York state, Bennett said.

A $50,000 reward offered for information leading to Phillips' arrest and conviction has so far not stopped friends and family members from helping him avoid capture, police said.

Bucky Phillips:
If you have information about this individual, contact N.Y.S. Division of Parole at 212-239-6159 or the NYS Tip line at (800) 262-4321. This individual is considered armed and dangerous. Do not attempt to apprehend or detain this individual yourself.
http://parole.state.ny.us/images/wanted/92B2578.jpg
Link (http://parole.state.ny.us/mostwanteddet.asp?id=335)
http://www.wroctv.com/data/news_stories/24132_bucky-wednesday.jpghttp://www.wroctv.com/data/news_stories/23845_bucky-phillips.jpg

Ozzy Fudd
09-08-2006, 06:56 AM
I HOPE THEY CATCH THAT FUCKER AND TAKE HIS HEAD OFF.

Our town Football team is holding one of the games here rather than going to Pittsburg all the money is going to the reward for his capture.

Susie Q
09-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
I HOPE THEY CATCH THAT FUCKER AND TAKE HIS HEAD OFF.

Our town Football team is holding one of the games here rather than going to Pittsburg all the money is going to the reward for his capture.

Hey Ozzy, do you realize that one of the officers were from here? He graduated High School here. There was a big write up on him.

How about that time when all of us kids and the parents were going for a ride and that Lacy character was on the loose in the Adirondacks. Remember them stopping our car with road blocks and telling us to turn around that it wasn't safe? How old was I then? This kinda reminds me of that.

Nickdfresh
09-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Apparently the cunt is cornered. The NYS and PAS Police have him pinned down and cornered near a golf course and Allegheny State Park on the NY/PA border after a Park Police officer stopped him, and he bolted.

Ozzy Fudd
09-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
Hey Ozzy, do you realize that one of the officers were from here? He graduated High School here. There was a big write up on him.

How about that time when all of us kids and the parents were going for a ride and that Lacy character was on the loose in the Adirondacks. Remember them stopping our car with road blocks and telling us to turn around that it wasn't safe? How old was I then? This kinda reminds me of that.

Yeah i was talkin to one of the guys last night about all this. the chief here was a good friend of his. i hope the asshole goes for a shoot out and gets his fuckin head took off. yeah i remember that stop too they were looking for Gary Gilmore i thought that was like 1969 or 1970 ??? "open up your trunk sir.... and the Cop had his Shotgun pointing right at it"

Nickdfresh
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
CNN is reporting they just captured the cunt, with no shots fired.

Susie Q
09-08-2006, 08:50 PM
GOOD! It's been a live feed down our way on one of the channels. Last I saw there was a lot of movement by the cops.

I smell death penalty here.

Yah Ozzy, I think you were right it was Gilmore. I wasn't sure who it was.

Nickdfresh
09-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Source: 'Most wanted' fugitive captured
POSTED: 9:30 p.m. EDT, September 8, 2006
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/09/08/ny.manhunt/newt1.buck.ap.jpg
CARROLL, New York (CNN) (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/08/ny.manhunt/index.html) -- Fugitive Ralph "Buck" Phillips, wanted for allegedly shooting three New York state troopers, one fatally, after escaping from prison in April, was captured Friday evening after a daylong hunt, the New York state police said.

"At 8 o'clock tonight, (Buck) Phillips, as I told you before, could run but he could not hide," New York State Police Superintendent Wayne Bennett said at a news conference where he was flanked by officers from numerous law enforcement agencies.

"You're not going to shoot one of our people and get away with it," Bennett said.

No gunfire was exchanged during the arrest in Akeley, a town in northwestern Pennsylvania near the New York border, the police said. Akeley is 10 miles southeast of Jamestown, New York.

A sheriff's deputy spotted Phillips in the woods and asked him to come out and Pennsylvania state police arrested him, authorities said. Phillips was not armed or injured at the time of his arrest, Bennett said.

U.S. marshals were transporting Phillips to Buffalo, New York, where he will be processed for unlawful flight at the nearby Erie County Correctional Facility, Bennett said. Erie County is the prison from which Phillips escaped in April.

The unlawful flight warrant will be set aside so prosecution can begin on the alleged police shootings, Bennett said.

Two reported sightings of Phillips prompted police to cordon off a square mile of Pennsylvania woodland earlier Friday.

"I can tell you there is a rather significant full-court press going on," Bennett said during the search.

Phillips was placed on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list Thursday. He was being sought in connection with the June 10 shooting of a trooper during a traffic stop near Elmira, New York, and the August 31 shootings of two troopers in Chautauqua County.

Trooper Joseph Longobardo, 32, died and Trooper Donald Baker, 38, remained hospitalized Friday in critical condition, Bennett said, adding that Baker seemed to be recovering.

The Pennsylvania sightings came about 3 p.m. Friday, Bennett said. He told his officers to use deadly force if necessary, he said.

"If necessary, we were prepared to kill him," Bennett said.

Dozens of police, SWAT teams and federal officers converged near Allegany State Park at the New York-Pennsylvania state line.

A perimeter of blockades was set up, and the area was swept with search dogs, helicopters and officers on foot in an effort to flush Phillips from the woods. Local police were deputized by the U.S. Marshals Service so they could cross back and forth over state lines.

The search for Phillips began just before 2 a.m. Friday after a Warren County, Pennsylvania, sheriff's deputy pursued a car believed to be stolen, said Bennett. The car crashed into a tree, and the man inside fled, Bennett said.

About 25 minutes later, there was a report of another stolen car. As two troopers chased that vehicle, the car crossed into New York, where the driver jumped from the moving vehicle and fled into a wooded area.

A backpack containing camouflage clothing was found inside the first car. A hat found in the pack appears to match the one Phillips was wearing in a wanted poster photograph, two federal law enforcement sources said.

About 9 a.m., a trooper with a dog met up with a man in the woods he believed to be Phillips, Bennett said.

The man allegedly waved a pistol toward the trooper, who fired several shots, Bennett said. The trooper was uninjured, and there was no trail of blood indicating the fleeing man had been hit, he said. (Watch for scenes from Friday's pursuit when shots were fired -- 3:45)

Police asked residents in the area to stay in their homes and evacuated the Cable Hollow Golf Course in Warren County, in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, said Heather Bortz, daughter of the golf course owner. At least two schools in northern Pennsylvania also were placed on lockdown.

Eileen Anderson lives near the golf course where Friday's search began.

"I was just down on my porch and the helicopters were flying around here. All of a sudden I heard four shots right across up over the hill, right in front of my house -- four right in a row. The helicopter has been flying over that spot ever since."

The 44-year-old Native American escaped from the Erie County Correctional Facility in Alden, New York, after prying open a roof vent in the jail's kitchen area with a can opener.

CNN's Deb Feyerick and Zak Sos contributed to this report.