PDA

View Full Version : The Crocodile Hunter dead!

Halen High
09-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Famous Aussie Steve Irwin, known as the 'Crocodile Hunter' died today while filming a documentary off Port Douglas North Queensland. He was killed by a stingray barb through the chest.

Our Stevo was always taking risks. I don't know all the details but I guess he took one too many. A real cool guy. Went to his zoo a few years back. Can't believe he's dead. Just 44.

Ally_Kat
09-04-2006, 01:16 AM
THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

With The Courier Mail and AAP

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Eventual.... what a shame though. I never was a fan, but it actually saddens me to hear it. My Aussie friends are so upset right now.

Oi oi oi.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Think about his baby.... damn that angers me.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Now I'll never get to meet him.... one of my dreams was to meet him when I retire/visit to Australia.

Halen High
09-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Stevo's death will be all over the evening news here in about three hours. He was very popular, despite being criticized recently for taking his child too close to a croc at his zoo. This guy just loved life. Can't think of a more enthusiastic, energetic person. I still have one of his African docos on tape. All about dangerous snakes. It was so fucking funny as well a informative.

Dan
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
R.I.P Steve.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
Stevo's death will be all over the evening news here in about three hours. He was very popular, despite being criticized recently for taking his child too close to a croc at his zoo. This guy just loved life. Can't think of a more enthusiastic, energetic person. I still have one of his African docos on tape. All about dangerous snakes. It was so fucking funny as well a informative.

People I know were always saying "One of these days....."

Well, they were right. I love Australian people a lot and this hurts me to hear this. You're right, he was very outgoing and loved life. I for sure thought that his demise would have been caused by a snake.

RuzDNailz
09-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Sad thing is, I wondered what happened to Steve after that negative publicity thing over that picture a few years ago. But now that kid and his older sister have to grow up without a father. It's horrible way to go
but, please remember this. Steve went out doing what he did best and had a passion for. There will never be another quite like him.

Tiki-Tom
09-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Crikey!
That's a fuckin shame. I guess it was gonna happen sooner or later. I feel real bad for his kids. And death by a ray, not a croc? didn't see that one coming.

flappo
09-04-2006, 02:38 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/flappo/iwrin.jpg

Nickdfresh
09-04-2006, 03:05 AM
It's too bad. I always liked Steve, despite the baby-bate scandal and all that.

RIP man.

DavidLeeNatra
09-04-2006, 03:19 AM
my daughter and me loved to watch his show...she always made impersonations of his "oh, look at this lovely little viper...she could kill a thousand men after one bite...hello darling"-style after it...

R.I.P. steve

Panamark
09-04-2006, 03:23 AM
This sucks.

Im actually feeling like somebody from my own family
died.

He was a tireless animal conservationist.
Im not sure how much the rest of the world
knows beyond the "Croc Hunter" they see on TV.

The dude was real. His life was saving and protecting
animals. He owns(ed) a huge Zoo/Refuge in Australia
and would think nothing of travelling to any country
that requested his help.

My heart goes out to Terrie, Bindy and Bob..

*AND* his old father (pushing 90) who inspired
him. Imagine outliving your son like that.

Steve played with fire, but the fire didnt kill him.
This was a freakish accident.

Im sure we will hear more about it..

Thanks for the happy memories Stevo !!!

Crikies, you gave us many..

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-04-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm with Panamark here. My heart especially goes out to the fatherless children.

jero
09-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Not a fan, but sad news!

flappo
09-04-2006, 05:39 AM
if he'd stuck to koalas , none of this shit would've happened

what's that , skippy ? there's been a fire ??

flappo
09-04-2006, 05:45 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/flappo/stung.jpg

Switch84
09-04-2006, 05:52 AM
:( Sad news indeed. I enjoyed his shows and admired his passion for preserving and protecting the environment and animals.

Rest in Peace, Steve...

sadaist
09-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Musta been a big stingray to have a barb long enough to get his heart. Weird man. I felt like I knew the guy. Very down to earth. Never let the fame get to him. Very sad.

Susie Q
09-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Wow, what a shock! Once again proves that you never know when your number is up.

RIP Steve.

Halen High
09-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
This sucks.

Im actually feeling like somebody from my own family
died.

He was a tireless animal conservationist.
Im not sure how much the rest of the world
knows beyond the "Croc Hunter" they see on TV.

The dude was real. His life was saving and protecting
animals. He owns(ed) a huge Zoo/Refuge in Australia
and would think nothing of travelling to any country
that requested his help.

My heart goes out to Terrie, Bindy and Bob..

*AND* his old father (pushing 90) who inspired
him. Imagine outliving your son like that.

Steve played with fire, but the fire didnt kill him.
This was a freakish accident.

Im sure we will hear more about it..

Thanks for the happy memories Stevo !!!

Crikies, you gave us many..

Great post Panamark. I too feel real bad for Terri, Bindy and Bob. I'm sure everyone involved with Stevo will get behind them to keep the zoo going, and continue on his awesome work in raising awareness of animals and conservation issues.

PlexiBrown
09-04-2006, 09:22 AM
You keep playing with fire and you eventually get burned.

Sucks for the family he left behind.

Golden AWe
09-04-2006, 09:28 AM
fookin' hell!!!

he cursed himself into a legend!!!

mako_kimura
09-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Damn..I enjoyed watching this guy make an idiot of himself. I never thought he'd get killed doing it. Shit, this sucks, I feel for his family. Thanks for the memories, Steve-o. Crikey

Steve Savicki
09-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I only know of this guy from that crocodile movie.

Golden AWe
09-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Dahm!

Some amazingly DEADLY, marvellously rapid stingray finally got the better of him! Those beeeautiful creatures are rarely attacking anybody, and rarely aggressive, but this time the crooked, AMAZING BEAST stabbed RIGHT THROUGH his heart, beating the FAMOUS, AMAZING Steve Irwin and that's a MAJOR shame!

Oh man, that's a BIG shame, I mean, look at his AMAZING history with all the ultimately DEADLY, AMAZING, HUUUGE or small animals, crocodiles, spiders, SNAKES and creatures around the world, yet he was always ready to challenge even the DEADLIEST BEASTS ever! This is SHOCKING and FREAKISH like the newspaper said!

ODShowtime
09-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I always expected him to be mauled by a land-based animal. Or at least not a marine-based animal.

Douglas T.
09-04-2006, 10:25 AM
DAMN! A legend goes down! never a good thing! he was an amazing person and a great personality! Other than the baby deal he was alright! I'm saddened!:(

Douglas T.
09-04-2006, 10:28 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyQaaIEF4Ew"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyQaaIEF4Ew" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
09-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Sad news, but unfortunately not much of a surprise. You can only beat the odds fucking around with dangerous critters so many times.

RIP Steve.

Douglas T.
09-04-2006, 10:30 AM
He loves her like he loves his wife!
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVEVUxyxBJc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVEVUxyxBJc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

thome
09-04-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.julianrocks.net/sharks/bullrays.htm

Damn!
\Reports say he was behind the Ray and camera man in front
in 6 meters of water as the ray closed on the camera man the Ray may
have felt cornered or threatend(sp) and the Ray turned and struck Steve in the chest. Doc's say probable immediate cardiac arrest with a
direct Bayonet type wound to the heart.

Douglas T.
09-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Fast death! Better than laying in the hospital mauled and 90% dead!

thome
09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
It's a Manly way to go ,if there is such a thing..?

I looked up..Batt Reef,Low Isles,Quensland,Great Barrier Reef and
the area he was killed by this -Ray- is perhaps from the photos one
of the most visually perfect Reef sites i've ever seen.

He was filming at the time of the strike not for his own show but one he had created for his daughter Bindy .

He was off in a small boat and was taken back to -Croc One- a 75 ft
boat he designed for travel and tours.

Just off the Batt Reef and the -Croc one- took him to Low Isle to meet paramedics.

I wonder how well protected the film is or iff it will make the internet rounds The Film was turned over to police at the scene so they say.

Bindy was back at Croc One I believe and not in the water with him.

Mom(terry) was hikeing the mainland..

I wonder if the show will continue with his -best mate- Wes.

Golden AWe
09-04-2006, 12:50 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqnVZwXQbQk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqnVZwXQbQk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Matt White
09-04-2006, 12:52 PM
PEACE OUT STEVE

Soul Reaper
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Death is unpredictable....he died doing what he does best....and that's always the saddest situation.....when your dreams kill you....

RIP Steve....

fryingdutchman
09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
A cryin' shame...to be sure.

Even my 6 year old son is sad about it.

He got to know about Steve through his appearance on a video from "The Wiggles."

It made him want to visit "Australia Zoo."

RIP Steve.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Sad news, but unfortunately not much of a surprise. You can only beat the odds fucking around with dangerous critters so many times.

RIP Steve.

That about says it for me as well....

I'd always thought that IF it were to happen, it would have been to a cobra or something like that....

Too bad for his family...

VAN HLN CA
09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
My kids are bummed, 10 years ago there was a serious rumor making rounds he died like this so this time readup to make sure it was fact.

Memorials everywhere!

thome
09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Thereis a special re-broadcast of a -Family- -Who is Steve- and -Where did this all start- on Animal Planet now.Originally broadcast in 2000./

If you care to lament It's all kinda wierd Maybe the best Nature show ever on T.V.

ericv8
09-04-2006, 07:49 PM
This absolutely sucks! RIP Steve

rustoffa
09-04-2006, 08:47 PM
RIP.

He basically revolutionized wild animal television. Nothing says conservationist like praising the beautiful creature that just bit the fuck out you.

I remember flipping channels one night, and wondering why some dude was lurking in a volcanic tidal pool. He was after something else..can't remember what it was. He was right in the middle of a diatribe, and spotted some sort of MONITOR cruising along the edges of this tidal pool. He commenced to slide around this series of volcanic puddles STALKING the fucker!!! The big lizard finally spotted him, and tried to haul ass up a tree. I'll never forget LOL at that chase scene, and the resulting mayhem.

Ripped shirt, heavily bitten arm....it wasn't a work. That was the first time I heard the "beautiful creature" catch-phrase, as the MONITOR walked, not ran, away.

A true original.

BITEYOASS
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
this reminds me of what Carlos Mencia said:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/syx9IyKmDxE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/syx9IyKmDxE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Anonymous
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
What the fuck? A guy who patted a fuckin' naja on the head died like this???

Surf Lifesavers national marine stinger adviser Lisa-Ann Gershwin said there had only been 17 fatal stingray attacks worldwide. "I think it's just an extraordinary freak accident that has happened to his heart," she said.

Still it was a truly freak occurence - only 3 people have died from such an attack in all of Australia's recorded history!

This only goes to show ya, kids... take risks while you can - 'coz one day, you'll be sitting at home, reading a book, and the fuckin' ceiling lamp will fall on your head.

Rest in peace Steve, you suicidal dickhead, you... :cry2:

Cheers! :bottle:

Ozzy Fudd
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Of all the creatures that could have got him....a Ray? it's hard to belive.

RIP STEVE,

POJO_Risin
09-04-2006, 09:28 PM
My four year old doesn't get death yet...but saw the news this morning...

and was asking all about it and if the crocodile man was dead, so we had a bit of a discussion about it today...

so I guess kids get more than we think....

To bad...more for family than anything else...

HELLVIS
09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
He made me laugh so many times. Hell, he made a lot of people laugh, and when we weren't laughing he taught us a thing or two.

Dr. Will
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Steve Irwin,

Crazy motherfucker,

made TV on Discovery what it is today.

Loved animals, but took things to damn far, which I loved,

had that Chill Town mentality.

He lost me a bit with the kid in the Gator Pit,

but hey, it's his life, and he lived it to it's fullest.

at the end of the day,

what more can you ask.

Chill Town motto:

If you're going to get stabbed in the heart, why not snorkeling in the Great Barrier reef, one of the most beautiful places in the world, doing what you Love to do.

Panamark
09-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I saw them (the media ) talking to his cameraman and best mate.
Apparently they have all watched the film.
He actually wrenched the bull ray's barb out of his chest,
swam a little and started losing conciousness in a big way.

I also heard an interview with a "Stringray Biologist" who
said that particular Ray's barb would be like a lethal jagged
spearhead.

So even with a spear through the heart he had the strength
to rip that fucker out and try to survive.

It wasnt instant.

That makes me even more depressed.

Also they were in 2 metre water and he was
simply swimming above the Ray, they now think
the cameraman actually spooked the Ray which
went into natural defence mode, which happens
to be lunging your barbed tail straight up over
your back..

An inch either way and he would still be with us..
This is a one in a million.

Imagine the size of the fucker if he was snorkelling
in 2 metres of water. (And yet he still managed to pull the
fuckers tail out of his heart)

Even in Death, Stevo Fucking Rocked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
My favorite thing he said :

He's a big one!

Don Corleone
09-05-2006, 01:57 AM
RIP Steve. A friend of mine had the honour to meet Steve, he said Steve was exactly the same in real life as he came across on TV (fanatic about wildlife). A good man who did a hell of a lot to promote wildlife, and got a whole new generation of people interested in it.

flappo
09-05-2006, 02:13 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/flappo/lookoutstevewm8.jpg

Halen High
09-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Yep, if the barb had missed his heart he would almost certainly still be alive. I read in our national paper that officially only 17 people have been killed by stingrays, and Stevo is only the second recorded fatal attack in Australia.

He certainly took risks, but a stingray! As Panamark said, the cameraman positioned in front probably made it feel cornered and threatened so it lashed out.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Then it's simple -- the cameraman must die.

Panamark
09-05-2006, 04:16 AM
YES !! The cameraman is responsible !

DEATH TO THE CAMERAMA.. Although I feel
his mind will be unsettled for the rest of his life...

*OK* (RANT WARNING)

I dont agree with all this "Well he had it coming" crap..
That dude knew what he was doing, always.

A stingray is not a dangerous creature.
I have swum with them many many times.
As Halen High said, they simply dont do this.
This was a freak occurence.

The police have examined the film, and he
was not intimidating the animal at all.
Just snorkelling above it..

Fuck all that, "Well he plays with Snakes ands Crocs,
what do you expect" attitude...

Steve was without doubt the world's best reptile handler.
You would have seen that with your own eyes.

He didnt die from fucking with dangerous creatures.
(Stringrays are timid and harmless)

We have tours in OZ where you can swim and actually
hold these rays.. This was a one in a million.. Which is
freaky.... (Considering he spent his life saving animals
and educating the world about wildlife)

But no more of this "Well if you play with fire, dangerous critters
etc etc, you will die eventually" he was snorkelling in a very safe
environment. Something any of us could have been doing.

If a snake, shark or croc got him, yeah I would be agreeing with
you all..

Dunno how your media is painting this, but the chances of this
happening is fuck all.... 17 people ?? Steve is the second only
Stingray death in the history of Australia.. (Thanks HH)

That's not the Croc Hunter going down from his inability
to handle dangerous creatures.. Or the inevibilaty that
he would die from that.....

And for those who say, no big deal, I just feel for his family.
You fuck off too... Are you assuming he is just another money
grabbing celeb ??

This guy spent most the money he made buying up land
so animals would keep their natural habitats. (Not just in
Australia too)

This dude was the real deal, and a fucking hero...

Fuck you all who think he was simply a discovery channel
manufactured character.

He deserves a shitload of respect. Your children know more
than you all do.. You should listen to them at times.

(RANT MODE OFF)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-05-2006, 04:23 AM
I agree, I've swam in water that was black from the amount of stingrays near. I was so shocked to hear this. It's actually very strange; if anyone else had died, I wouldn't have cared. His death was very emotional to me. I love people who love life.

flappo
09-05-2006, 04:29 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/flappo/croikey.jpg

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-05-2006, 04:49 AM
I should have asked earlier, but what the hell does popgear mean?

ericv8
09-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Here is what the AP is reporting today:

--------------------------
Updated: 3:33 a.m. ET Sept. 5, 2006

CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin was videotaped pulling a poisonous stingray barb from his chest in his last moments of life, officials said Tuesday, as tributes poured in for TV’s “Crocodile Hunter.”

Police said there was nothing suspicious about Irwin’s death and no evidence he provoked the animal. Irwin, 44, was stabbed through the heart on Monday while snorkeling with a stingray during filming of a new TV program on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.

John Stainton, Irwin’s manager who was among the crew on the reef, said the fatal blow was caught on videotape, and described viewing the footage as having the “terrible” experience of watching a friend die.

“It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he’s gone,” Stainton told reporters in Cairns, where Irwin’s body was taken for an autopsy.

Queensland state police were holding the tape as evidence for a coroner’s inquiry — a standard procedure in high-profile deaths or those caused by other than natural causes.

Experts have said the stingray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and the TV star. Irwin, the popular host of “Crocodile Hunter,” rose to fame by getting dangerously close to crocodiles, snakes and other beasts.

But Queensland Police Superintendent Michael Keating said there was no evidence Irwin threatened or intimidated the stingray, a normally placid species that only deploys its poisonous tail spines as a defense.

Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn’t used to.

“If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean,” Stainton said. “On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over.”

Full Article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14675529/)

Vinnie Velvet
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
RIP, Steve.

:(

Soul Reaper
09-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by flappo
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/flappo/lookoutstevewm8.jpg

marvellous....go Steve! :)

Matt White
09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
What really burns my onion...is with all the Absolute BASTURDS in this world...who will live to be 100 years old...this Kat has to cash in his chips early......

DOUBLE DAMN!!!:mad:

tjvhou812
09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
R.I.P.

Matt White
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20355109-601,00.html

'The Australian we all aspire to be'
Michael Bodey
September 05, 2006
FRIENDS, political leaders, celebrities and thousands of fans around the world have been left stunned and grief-stricken by Steve Irwin's freak death.
John Howard described Irwin's death in north Queensland as a "huge loss to Australia" and actor Russell Crowe said Irwin was "the Australian that we all aspire to be".

Thousands of international fans swamped Australian news websites in numbers not seen since the London bombings last year or April's Beaconsfield mine collapse.

The Prime Minister described Irwin as a "wonderful character".

"He was a passionate environmentalist," he said.

"He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin's long-time friend, director and producer John Stainton, said that Irwin had "died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind".

Stainton was with Irwin filming a documentary for the US network Animal Planet, called Ocean's Deadliest, when he died.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet."

Speaking from New York, Crowe said Irwin had "held an absolute belief about caring for the riches of our country, meaning specifically that the riches of our fauna was the highest priority we should have".

"Over time we might just see how right he was," the actor said. "He was and remains the ultimate wildlife warrior. He touched my heart, I believed in him, I'll miss him. I loved him and I'll be there for his family."

The news of the environmentalist's death travelled fast, hitting the website of US television network CBS before some Australian news sites.

It was reported promptly on disparate news outlets globally, including the al-Jazeera network and the BBC, where hundreds of reader tributes poured in from Bangalore in India to Rome.

By late last night, almost 700 people, from Mexico to Romania and Norway, had written messages of tribute on the website of The Australian.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said Mr Irwin was an "extraordinary man".

"He has made an enormous difference to his state and his country," he said.

"He was a highly regarded conservationist and had just completed a five-week crocodile research trip on Cape York Peninsula with Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service officers.

"Steve also made a significant contribution to the conservation of many other species through his work establishing the Australian Wildlife Hospital at Beerwah (in the hinterland of Queensland's Sunshine Coast), research projects on koalas, wombats and other threatened species."

The RSPCA reiterated Irwin's tireless commitment to conservation work. RSPCA Queensland chief executive Mark Townend said Irwin was "a modern-day Noah and should be acknowledged as such".
The RSPCA's Michael Beatty said: "Other people talked about it, Steve did it."

Actor Hugh Jackman said he had only visited Irwin's Australia Zoo on Saturday. "His enthusiasm, humour, passion and optimism was a beacon throughout the world," Jackman said.

Two of Irwin's co-stars from his movie The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course, Australian actors David Wenham and Magda Szubanski, were stunned by the news.

"I don't know if people realise what a truly, truly great guy Steve was," Szubanski said from London. "Steve had such tremendous life-force I kind of thought he was invincible. I've never known anyone who was so alive and so full of love for life and his family. One of the most generous people you would ever hope to know."

Wenham described Irwin as a colossus. "Totally devoid of pretension, he was the real deal," Wenham said. "What you saw is what you got. His passion and love of life, family and nature was boundless."

binnie
09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
R.I.P dude.

Part of me thinks that it was only a matter of time with the amount of risks that he took - but there are few people I admire more, becuase he was so passionate about his work.

At least he died doing something he loved.

My thoughts to your family....

Hardrock69
09-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Man that sucks.

Now if he had a Puff Adder by the tail or was fucking with a giant crocodile and he bought it, I would say he deserved it.

But not this way.

RIP

Dan
09-06-2006, 01:46 AM
YES !! The cameraman is responsible !

DEATH TO THE CAMERAMA.. Although I feel
his mind will be unsettled for the rest of his life...

*OK* (RANT WARNING)

I dont agree with all this "Well he had it coming" crap..
That dude knew what he was doing, always.

A stingray is not a dangerous creature.
I have swum with them many many times.
As Halen High said, they simply dont do this.
This was a freak occurence.

The police have examined the film, and he
was not intimidating the animal at all.
Just snorkelling above it..

Fuck all that, "Well he plays with Snakes ands Crocs,
what do you expect" attitude...

Steve was without doubt the world's best reptile handler.
You would have seen that with your own eyes.

He didnt die from fucking with dangerous creatures.
(Stringrays are timid and harmless)

We have tours in OZ where you can swim and actually
hold these rays.. This was a one in a million.. Which is
freaky.... (Considering he spent his life saving animals
and educating the world about wildlife)

But no more of this "Well if you play with fire, dangerous critters
etc etc, you will die eventually" he was snorkelling in a very safe
environment. Something any of us could have been doing.

If a snake, shark or croc got him, yeah I would be agreeing with
you all..

Dunno how your media is painting this, but the chances of this
happening is fuck all.... 17 people ?? Steve is the second only
Stingray death in the history of Australia.. (Thanks HH)

That's not the Croc Hunter going down from his inability
to handle dangerous creatures.. Or the inevibilaty that
he would die from that.....

And for those who say, no big deal, I just feel for his family.
You fuck off too... Are you assuming he is just another money
grabbing celeb ??

This guy spent most the money he made buying up land
so animals would keep their natural habitats. (Not just in
Australia too)

This dude was the real deal, and a fucking hero...

Fuck you all who think he was simply a discovery channel
manufactured character.

He deserves a shitload of respect. Your children know more
than you all do.. You should listen to them at times.

(RANT MODE OFF)

Great post and us people in N.Z. loved The Man.

VAN HLN CA
09-06-2006, 03:31 AM
He is getting the ultimate eulogy exactly the way most would hope to hear themselves remembered.

Real 24/7. Not an ounce of pretentiousness in his soul.

Hard to name another public figure close to being true.

Serious respect for Irwin.

MAX
09-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Serious bummer. Loved the Croc Hunter. Prayers to his friends and fam. Rest his soul. :(

R.I.P.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is fucking surreal?

binnie
09-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
Am I the only one who thinks this is fucking surreal?

Nope, very surreal.

One of those "sometimes truth is strnager than fiction moments"!

sadaist
09-06-2006, 04:37 AM
Usually when celebrities die unexpectedly, I'm a little shocked and I reminisce for a few moments, feel a little bummed out (if I liked their work) for a few minutes, then carry on. But for some reason Steve's untimely end is different. I wasn't an avid watcher of his program. I would stop on it when flipping through the channels and watch. I wasn't a huge follower, yet I have seen many things he has done. But I feel like I lost a friend. It's weird. I find myself driving and thinking about this guy and how sorry I am he's gone.

I think it's because he was a good soul and it really showed through that he was a decent guy that if you saw him at a retaurant, you could go up and shake his hand and tell him you thought he was crazy, and he would have a good laugh with you.

I'm pretty sure by everyones comments that I'm not the only one who feels like this. Rest in peace Steve.

binnie
09-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Sadist that's a good point: I think it's becasue he was so down to earth (his family have refused a State Funeral because they said that he wanted to be remembered as an "ordinary bloke") and was so passioante about what he did.

That's why there is so much attention around this.

Really sad isn't it??

R.I.P

Matt White
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Irwin's Dad Says He Lost His "Best Mate"
Posted Sep 6th 2006 8:06AM by TMZ Staff

The fond remembrances of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin continued to flow in after his tragic accidental death over the weekend, but perhaps the most touching of all came today from his father, Bob, in Queensland. "Steve and I weren't like father and son, we never were," said Bob Irwin, outside Australia Zoo, the animal park that Steve made famous and that Bob had owned himself and handed over to his son. "We were good mates. I'll remember Steve as my best mate ever."

Bob Irwin also said that Australian authorities have offered to give his son a state funeral but that his family was unlikely to accept. "The state funeral would be refused ... because he's an ordinary guy, he's just an ordinary bloke." Prime Minister John Howard interrupted Parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute to Irwin.

Wearing a khaki shirt and shorts in the same way that Steve did, Bob Irwin also told reporters that he and his son were natural risk-takers. "Both of us over the years have had some very close shaves. We made jokes of it. That's not to say that we were careless but we treated it like it was just part of the job."

Nitro Express
09-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Stingrays are very non agressive. Stupidity killed him because he swam too close and the ray defended itself.

Steve Irwin was a showman taking stupid risks for attention. A glorified crockodile wrestler. Something was going to get him sooner or later.

Matt White
09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Shit happens....people don't usually "plan" on getting into an accident...

"Rather one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb..."

Nitro Express
09-07-2006, 01:47 AM
I feel sorry for his family and turning down the big funeral shows what class his dad has. He was a well liked entertainer but he had a screw loose. Probably no worse than other entertainers.

The beef I had with Steve Irwin was taking his newborn child into the crockodile pit to get attention. That's crap. I fly fully aerobatic airplanes for a hobby but I never push the envelope if I'm in a plane with passengers in it and I don't fly crazy in populated areas. If I crash a plane because it got away from me, I kill myself only.

I appreciate risk taking but endangering others is no cool. Irwin seemed too nutty to buy any credability with me.

Panamark
09-07-2006, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I feel sorry for his family and turning down the big funeral shows what class his dad has. He was a well liked entertainer but he had a screw loose. Probably no worse than other entertainers.

The beef I had with Steve Irwin was taking his newborn child into the crockodile pit to get attention. That's crap. I fly fully aerobatic airplanes for a hobby but I never push the envelope if I'm in a plane with passengers in it and I don't fly crazy in populated areas. If I crash a plane because it got away from me, I kill myself only.

I appreciate risk taking but endangering others is no cool. Irwin seemed too nutty to buy any credability with me.

So the fact that Steve was raised this way, and loved his family
even more than his beloved crocs, escapes you.

Steve was introduced to Crocodiles by his father (Bob)
the same way he introduced his own children to them. (Bindi and Bob)
It was the way of their family, passing it on down through the
generations. Steve also bought up his daughter and she
is now well learned about these creatures. In fact Im hoping
this big part of Steve (Bindi) continues his dream.

Are you one of these braindead media devotees
who tried to compare that incident to Michael Jackson ?
What did MJ do with his millions ??? Build a molestation
kiddies palace and buy the Beatles catalog to ensure
he would never be without his molestation castle..

I saw an interview tonight with the dudes that looked after
Steve Irwin Inc.. (The financial people)
Did you know that his dream was to keep earning
money so he could buy back as much land as
possible to allow animals to keep their homes ?
He was buying up tracks of land in shitholes where
they were basically bulldozing the places. (Not
what you would call prime investment.)
He had a dream, save as much land as he could,
in turn he would save the animals homes.

That stirs passion in my heart..

Yet he never mentioned this once in public.
Its all coming out now after his death...

Can one man change the world ? Yes..
Throughout history there have been
special people like this.

Now in these modern times,
we are all realizing that Steve
was one of these men.

Dont know what ya got until its gone...
Let the children tell you ...

Look to the sky and be thankful that you shared
the same time on earth as a genuine hero.

On a daily basis Im feeling less of a human being
for knowing this dude's dream, and how he had
it happening. (and how it was cut in its tracks)

As for your stringray comment, I must be the biggest
media attention whore in history, as Ive swum over
the same Rays in 3 feet of water...

As I posted previously, you would have every right
to think that way if he got killed by a crocodile, snake,
shark etc.. But he didnt, so shut the fuck up.

Or humble me. What have you done for our world ?

What we are learning now is extremely humbling.
Im a total piece of shit human compared to this guy.

What would you do with millions of dollars Nitro ??
Buy land for animals ?

Thankgod Steve was never ever stopped by
misinformed ignorance. But dont let it stop
you, Nitro.

thome
09-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Excellent Statement.

I grew up in the creeks and fields around where i lived.

I followed the creek to school every morning and home in the
afternoon.

I usually checked in after school, but didn't need to till dinner,
then out the door till dark.

I grew up somewhat like Steve-o not in Croc country but danger was similar.

When i was at home the TV was on PBS picking up any and all Nature shows. I could call out 95% of all species shown faster than Marlin Perkins.

So .If you have a somewhat adventurous upbringing and similar
Interests of discovery and chance.When one of the -Pro's- at it
Bites the Big Last Bit..

You feel it as a kindred spirit a Mate a Bro a Bud .and it doesn't strike well inside.

I've been all around the Net Global positioning Satt to see, Brisbane,
Beerwah,Batt Reef ,Port Douglas, everywhere trying to understand
a guy who busted his ass from school age to become a world traveler,
i would say a good guy and worth 500 million within the next ten years.
Father of two and the ,Bam! No More, Just work, no real time to enjoy
and survey all he built..

A good legacy for his kids..? and his family knows his vision and dreams and will carry on.
So, he will always be helping and remembered .:cool:

thome
09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Here is a self serving little strory

One Morning on the way to Elementary School ( i was 7 or 8 yrs old)
I was -slide skateing- the 1/4 mile to school (like speed skateing)on
my frozen leather soled shoes.
The Ice started cracking in front of me and the crack progressed to a big circle around me ,i could usually beat it, but once i fell striaght
thru the ice and was swept under and back the way i was headed.

I am completely under being swept downstream and freezing only
thru luck and skill was i aware that if i held onto the bottom and
crawled towards the shore would the ice become thinner and i could smash my skull up and break thru.

It worked and i went onto school stood in front of the teacher and principal in -concrete hard fozen clothes- and for the hundredth time
swore up and down i hadn't been in the creek. I got the whip.

A difference between school now and then.whatever!

Nature Shows and familiarity with my surroundings enabled me to created and prosess what to do to survive.

Wild Boys are the best and i am proud to have been one and that ,-Steve-o- took this enjoyment of the world, to the masses.
Book learning is excellent but as you see from my writeing abilities
i didn't spend as much time in the classroom ,as i did staring out the window..lol

Steve-o-
also showed the world that standing on your back porch with a pair
of binocs is as much or more fun that standing in studio 54 watching
-entertainment paris's- earths freek animals, monster show.

:eek:

Douglas T.
09-07-2006, 09:19 AM
I fly fully aerobatic airplanes for a hobby but I never push the envelope if I'm in a plane with passengers in it and I don't fly crazy in populated areas. If I crash a plane because it got away from me, I kill myself only.

That's AWESOME! I am slowly catching up with ya! I have six whole hours in! 494 more and I get my license!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/DTSKYNYRD/MY%20FLIGHTS/Flight2.jpg

Panamark
09-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Fucking flying those pissy little under-maintained
prop planes is far more dangerouse than swimming
amongst stringrays..

Lets see, how many of these light planes crash each
and every day globally ??

How many people in written history have died from
a stingray ???

Nitro do you take passengers up with you ???
Well statistically you are a fucking prick and
are putting your passengers lives at risk...

Yet you want to shit on a good person who just got
killed tragically, because he wanted his son bought up
the way he was....

Panamark
09-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Good Luck DT on those hours !!

bantonelli
09-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Panamark and Thome. I grew up watching Marlin Perkins and Bill Burrud as a kid and neither had the enthusiasm on their show to keep my attention regarding the animals.

Steve Irwin walks in as a ball of fire enthusiasm and gets our attention in a huge way! The way he presented and introduced nature to all (kids and adults) was simply a part of his soul...nothing fake.

I agree that Steve Irwin's passing is not a simple one to get over like an actor celebrity. The mere fact that he was purchasing land to save wildlife is incredible. Also, Steve said in an interview that the only animal he was frightened of was not a snake, croc or Kimodo Dragon....he said it was "MAN" and bullets. He is RIGHT!

Whether man kills each other or trying to poach wildlife. Steve will continue to be a blessing to this Earth and someday I'll get to the Australian Zoo to pay homage to this incredible hero from down under.

Douglas T.
09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Fucking flying those pissy little under-maintained
prop planes is far more dangerouse than swimming
amongst stringrays..

Lets see, how many of these light planes crash each
and every day globally ??

Tell me about it! can I take a moment to tell you the story about the millionaire enviromentalist that burned up behind my studio one day?
His name was GEORGE BARLEY and I was the first one one the scene as the plane almost crashed on my roof!

RIP GEORGE! I wish I could have done something!
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE7DF143AF936A15755C0A9639582 60

I picked this resteraunt out of a coupon book and get there and staart reaading the menu and learn the place is dedicated to GEORGE! Now I eat free here because they know me! I couldn't save GEORGE if I had on a firesuit!http://www.evergladesrestaurant.com/about/dedication.htm

I had thought a Arron Rents truck had backed into the fence at first and we laffingly looked out the back doors! We are right by the airport so planes are always going over rather close. When I saw the flames I knew just what it was! I'll get to the rest of the story after work! Here's one of the first photos I took ... after seeing no way to save anyone I ran over and got my camera! I got about 35 pictures and all were subpoena'd by the courts and the firestation requested a set for their training as I was standing over their shoulders taking pictures, after they arrived 10 minutes later! Some of the pictures are taken before they arrived! Tell ya more about it later!

BLUE arrow is PILOTs arm I'll post the burnt up pilot and passanger pics after some contemplation. their respect I have to keep!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/DTSKYNYRD/Charles%20Barley%20Fatal%20Crash/crash1.jpg

Douglas T.
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Well I guess I can be a little late back to work since I'm the boss!

The story goes and Nitro tell us your feelings on the wheels down part! Months later! I'm eating my lunch indoors for a change at Slotzki's however it was spelled they closed up now damnit! I over hear two people talking about a plane crash! welcome to my world of coincidences! so i have to ask which one they are discussing and ends up being the same one. I ask what became of the lawsuits and they said! One of the planes engines quit because it had a fuel line from a diferant kind of plane all together! They also said the plane crashed becasue the pilot put the wheels down and tried to land ... in the field by my studio. He said if the pilot had kept the wheels up he could have flown all the gas out and landed in a lake! The newspaper says "PILOT DEEMED HERO!" and mentions the weekday school and buildings he avoided however I guess he could be alive today if he didn't try to land so soon! Here he is all crispy! I figure I can post his picture since it was his fault! Does that seem fair? See him there at the base of the tree, he's bent backwards looking up the tree! All black with cracked skin! Rest in peace Pal! Thanks for missin' me and my neighbors!

Notice the telephone cable tangled in the props!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/DTSKYNYRD/Charles%20Barley%20Fatal%20Crash/deadpilot.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/DTSKYNYRD/Charles%20Barley%20Fatal%20Crash/pilot.jpg

Douglas T.
09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I know I'm steering a bit away from Steve here other than the fact that an Enviromentalist was killed in this crash! this picture shows where the airplanes propellers choped the ground like a mighty sword! At this point the plane was going sideways and about to go TAIL FIRST betwen those two Maples there in the background! Two engines ... one on each wing ... both slamming into it's own maple tree!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/DTSKYNYRD/Charles%20Barley%20Fatal%20Crash/planechops.jpg

Nitro Express
09-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Holly hell! Don't say anything remotely negative about Jesus Christ Irwin! I think the media brainwashed ones are the people who claim to know everything about the guy and his family that never really knew the guy.

Sounds like he wasn't a greedy bastard but whether a person is a saint or not only the big guy upstairs knows. Maybe God took him quickly so he wouldn't have to live on this shithole planet we are ruining. Maybe he's in a big waterbed with 72 virgins surrounded by a wilderness full of crocks and snakes now.

Nitro Express
09-07-2006, 06:39 PM
As far as spending money goes. It all goes into my plane and I hope to make more money so I can fly a jet and add even more greenhouse warming exhaust to the upper atmosphere and ruin the earth with global warming.

My big dream is to drop a nuke from a plane someday.

Panamark
09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Holly hell! Don't say anything remotely negative about Jesus Christ Irwin!

Well Fuck man, the dude just got killed...

There are times and places.

Douglas T.
09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
yeah .. my tissue is still soaking wet for Pete's sake! Tito .... TITO!!!! get me a tissue damnit!

Nitro Express
09-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Well Fuck man, the dude just got killed...

There are times and places.

You have a point. At least he died doing something he loved and died at the top of his game. Unlike Eddie Van Halen who loved what he did and had everything but got bitter and jumped into a bottle of Smoking Loon.

In his realm, Steve Irwin will now be a God. He's beat out Marlyn Fucking Perkins now. Sometimes dying early is a blessing. If the guy was all BS and had underlying issues and was a real asshole, he no longer has the time left to show us his demons. Eddie should have died in a plane crash in 1984. Steve Irwin is now the Jimmi Hendrix of wildlife adventure shows. The grass will be worn from his grave.

Panamark
09-08-2006, 05:43 AM
You have a point. At least he died doing something he loved and died at the top of his game. Unlike Eddie Van Halen who loved what he did and had everything but got bitter and jumped into a bottle of Smoking Loon.

In his realm, Steve Irwin will now be a God. He's beat out Marlyn Fucking Perkins now. Sometimes dying early is a blessing. If the guy was all BS and had underlying issues and was a real asshole, he no longer has the time left to show us his demons. Eddie should have died in a plane crash in 1984. Steve Irwin is now the Jimmi Hendrix of wildlife adventure shows. The grass will be worn from his grave.

Crikey ! great post ;)

Ozzy Fudd
09-08-2006, 06:36 AM

I take back every bad thing i ever said about you and give you 5 stars
Wear Em Proud

Fuckin post brought tears to my eyes.

thome
09-08-2006, 06:40 AM
I woke up at 3:55am (see what happens when you try to go to bed early and get some sleep,Grrrrrrr).Looked out the window and thought
Crikey! is the sun coming up early..figgured.. nope, must be the Moon.

Well, it is the biggest fullest Moon, I've seen in awhile, everything is lit-up..

Sittin outside smoking a ciggy and thinkin, -Nice day to get buried full
moon and all- wondering to self if Steve-o- is having his funeral
today..?

Bad stuff seems to happen in my world when a full moon is aproaching
and i allways get a strong feeling to party get in trouble or just feel
a little wilder.

Maybe everyone get's that way and Steve-o- was a li'l fired up the
day he was killed from Lunar Magnetic ....feeling....s and the -On Edge- i feel when the full moon is aproaching..?

All makes a li'l more sense now that The Full Moon Quotient is added.

I yesterday evening finally got on Austrailia Zoo dot com it had been
so busy i couldn't log on. There is a small tribute to Steve short and sweet. I heard Animal Planet is working up a Video tribute to air some date..?

Coffee's kickin in, Moon is Fine, Moning is Calm and Cool, Life is Good..

Douglas T.
09-08-2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures.asp?contest_id=1138&start=1&end=10&display=photoshop

thome
09-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by thome
It's a Manly way to go ,if there is such a thing..?

I looked up..Batt Reef,Low Isles,Quensland,Great Barrier Reef and
the area he was killed by this -Ray- is perhaps from the photos one
of the most visually perfect Reef sites i've ever seen.

He was filming at the time of the strike not for his own show but one he had created for his daughter Bindy .

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I wonder how well protected the film is or iff it will make the internet rounds The Film was turned over to police at the scene so they say.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Bindy was back at Croc One I believe and not in the water with him

Irwin video may surface......

Experts says it's just a matter of time before grisly video of Steve Irwin's death hits the Web.

The late Steve Irwin. Steve Irwin was shooting footage for his TV series Crocodile Hunter early Monday when he was killed by a giant bull stingray. Now, those familiar with the digital media world say it's only a matter of time before the grisly footage surfaces.

"Once there's something on film, it's impossible to keep it contained," Paul Levinson, chairman of Fordham University's Department of Communication and Media Studies, told the Associated Press.

Appearing on Larry King Live, Irwin's manager John Stainton told King he hopes the video is destroyed.

"I would never want that tape shown," Stainton said to King. "It should be destroyed."

Irwin may have felt differently.

British gossip Web site Contact Music UK says Irwin once said, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling... Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me."

In a 2002 Associated Press interview, Irwin said, "If I'm going to die, at least I want it filmed... We could have gone to MGM and gone, 'Hey, look at this tape.'"

Media analyst Martin Kaplan, of the Annenberg School of Communication at University of Southern California, told AP that there is no compelling reason the tape should be shown.

"The only remote justification for publicizing this would be accident prevention," said Kaplan. "But that argument is a stretch."

Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism professor Samuel G. Freedman agrees.

"The lay person is not going into the water trying to have encounters with stingrays," Freedman said. "It would be purely titillation and necrophilia if anyone were to show this."

Kaplan said that just because the tape shouldn't be seen doesn't mean it won't be.

"There's a race for the bottom in our culture."

What's Our Take On The Footage...?

I say let it be shown to the point of the -strike- in a memorial. But i don't need to see him struggling the Barb out of his chest and swimming his last strokes ..? Or do I..?
:confused:

Ellyllions
09-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I think if they can keep Earnhardt's autopsy photos from getting out, it would be just prudence to keep Steve's video sealed as well. I've got big hopes that the tape will be destroyed.

But, in this sorry world it wouldn't surprise me to see it aired on every television station in slow motion each hour. Close-ups of the shock on his poor face.

Death is a private thing, and that's how it should stay. Someone having the most horrible experience of their whole lives shouldn't be remembered via the actual images as it happened. We don't seem to respect that anymore...

Just read an article. Terri's mom spoke to reporters yesterday. Terri's worried about raising the kids alone, and Baby Bob keeps asking, "Where's daddy?" She also said that Bindi has been a rock for Terri...

Apparently, the day he died was the day after Australia's fathers day...

DavidLeeNatra
09-08-2006, 01:19 PM
if it's available it will be on youtube and in this thread :(

Matt White
09-10-2006, 06:26 PM
http://articles.news.aol.com/entertainment/_a/private-funeral-held-for-steve-irwin/20060909192409990006?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Private Funeral Held for Steve Irwin

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/01/05/20060904071409990001

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/02/05/20060904072109990003Visitors to Australia Zoo at Beerwah laid flowers in tribute to Irwin, who was hugely popular in his country.

BEERWAH, Australia (Sept. 10) - A private funeral for "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was held on Saturday and plans were for his body to be buried at the family-owned Australia Zoo, several Sunday newspapers said.
Irwin, killed in a stingray attack on the Great Barrier Reef on Sept. 4, had a private service at a funeral home in nearby Caloundra, the Brisbane-based Sunday Mail said.

It also said that the local council had given the family permission to bury Irwin, 44, at the 25-hectare (60-acre) zoo that has been owned by the Irwin family since 1970.

"Yesterday's service was a service for family and good friends, people who were close to Steve in recent years," the newspaper quoted an unidentified family friend as saying.

"The council gave the family permission to bury Steve at the zoo and we think they're going to erect a monument there so visitors can continue to pay their respects."

Sydney's Sun-Herald newspaper said Irwin's father, Bob, planned to hold a press conference on Monday at the zoo to give details of the funeral.

Calls to John Stainton, Irwin's longtime manager, and Michael Hornby, head of the Irwin charity group Wildlife Warriors, were not immediately returned.

On Saturday, Stainton told CNN's Larry King that the private service would be held soon.

"We are having a private family service in the next two or three days, by Monday" at the latest, Stainton told King. "Then we'll start planning the memorial service which will be open to members of the public."

Stainton also said Irwin's wife, American-born Terri, and his children were coping "quite well" with the death.

"Terri is very, very strong. She's having a lot of sad moments obviously, but she's putting on a brave face for the kids' sake," he said.

The Irwins have two children, Bindi, 8, and Bob, 2.

One venue mentioned for the public memorial service, expected to be held in the next 10 days, is a 52,000-seat sports stadium in Brisbane, the nearby capital of Queensland state.

Irwin could have had a formal state funeral offered by Prime Minister John Howard. Instead, Bob Irwin said his son would have preferred a smaller, private funeral.

BITEYOASS
09-10-2006, 09:34 PM
I just wish he would have stayed out of the ocean, it wasn't he area of expertise. Should have called one of cousteau's sons for that.

Ally_Kat
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
if it's available it will be on youtube and in this thread :(

not if I see it.

Ally_Kat
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I have a friend who looks just like him and can put on the accent, and he's studying to be an actor. We always joked how if there ever a movie made about his life, he'd be first in line to play the guy.

DeadOrAlive
09-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Oh man how depressing. Stevie's dead. I remember watching his show RELIGIOUSLY when I was little and people even called me Steve Irwin because there was a time when I looked like him.

RIP Stevie.

mako_kimura
09-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
there was a time when I looked like him.

RIP Stevie.

Same here. He was a genuine hero and has done more in his short life than most people do in 100 years. And now, in the blink of an eye, he's gone, just like that. My English teacher's son used to work at a reptile zoo in South Carolina, and used to imitate an Australian accent just like Steve, during his shows. Steve-O's impact will be felt for years to come. And now, I shall play "In This River" by Black Label Society in his honor

BITEYOASS
09-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Douglas T.
That's AWESOME! I am slowly catching up with ya! I have six whole hours in! 494 more and I get my license!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/DTSKYNYRD/MY%20FLIGHTS/Flight2.jpg

Nice ride you got there Skynyrd! My vision is too bad to fly so I usually spend my time getting 500 lbs. guided bombs ready for USMC planes to drop. :D

Steve Savicki
09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Disgusting!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-09-12-stingray-deaths_x.htm?csp=34

Mutilating stingrays was NOT the way to honor Irwin.

Stingrays are animals, they act on instinct. The one that killed Irwin acted to protect itself.

DavidLeeNatra
09-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
not if I see it.

good one!

Douglas T.
09-12-2006, 02:06 PM
This is not funny either!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/lll_christopher_lll/steveirwin3.gif

Douglas T.
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
While this is cool!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/lll_christopher_lll/steveirwin7.gif

Steve Savicki
09-12-2006, 02:47 PM
What is this about:

http://www.angelfire.com/tv/crochunter/letters.html

Playing with wild animals is a risk, but Steve did nothing to be hated.

LoungeMachine
09-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Retaliation Against Stingrays?
Conservationists Fear 'Croc Hunter' Fans May Be Killing Stingrays Out of Revenge

Sept. 12, 2006— Wildlife conservationists fear that the recent death of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin has triggered retaliation against stingrays.

Ten stingrays have been killed since a stingray fatally injured Irwin on Sept. 4 as he filmed a segment for his popular television show off the Great Barrier Reef, according to The Associated Press. Multiple stingray bodies have been found on Australian beaches, and two were found mutilated — with their tails chopped off — Tuesday.

"It may be some sort of retribution or fear from certain individuals or yet another callous act toward wildlife," said Michael Hornby, executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group in an interview with The Associated Press.

The killing of stingrays, Hornby continued, was "not what Steve was about.

"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he told The Associated Press.

Some fans have taken a more virtual revenge against stingrays. Terri Irwin's Revenge, an Internet flash computer game, has been circulating online since the tragedy.

The game features a likeness of the late "Croc Hunter's" wife, Terri, with graphics of her swimming underwater and shooting a harpoon gun at stingrays.

"Guide Terri through epic perils of stingrays to find the murderer of her late husband THE STINGRAY KING!" proclaims the game's Web site.

The Animal Kingdom Strikes Back

Not everyone, however, has called for revenge against stingrays. Some people, such as Germaine Greer, the Australian feminist icon and author, believe Irwin's death was a case of the animals finally getting their revenge.

"There was not an animal he was not prepared to manhandle," said Greer in an interview with the British newspaper The Guardian. "Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress. … Every snake badgered by Irwin was at a huge disadvantage, with only a single possible reaction to its terrifying situation, which was to strike.

Continued

thome
09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
The reason for the -Retaliation Against Stingrays- is BS!

It's for the tourist trade, --Sales---." This is the one he pulled out of his chest
10,000 dollars please", you idiot tourist dupe.!

and in the backroom i have the real -Velvet Elvis- painted by elvises
favorite artist ...ssssssh. only for you...............

Five Bucks! sais, i'm spot on with this scenario..

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with killing to get even.

Steve Savicki
09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I hope the Irwins' official site address this.

DavidLeeNatra
09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uEOfbPeZtB8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uEOfbPeZtB8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
09-19-2006, 05:06 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4a9cNKluN4M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4a9cNKluN4M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ozzy Fudd
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I just watched the memorial for Steve on AP, Journey on Steve....

Till We All Meet Again

Ozz

ericv8
09-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Steve's MEMORIAL SERVICE (http://mp3.news.com.au/bcm/irwin-funeral.html) at Australia Zoo yesterday

Snippet from the above: Steve's 8yo daughter Bindi SPEAKS (http://g6publish.videodome.com/newsinteractive/videopage/videoplayer/?channel=National+News&clipid=1094_51604&bitrate=300&format=wmp)

DavidLeeNatra
09-20-2006, 05:27 AM

ULTRAMAN VH
09-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Watched the memorial service last night and it was a very moving experience. I guess heaven needed a wildlife conservationist. Their gain our loss. RIP Steve.

Tiki-Tom
09-20-2006, 07:25 AM
His daughter Bindi sure is an amazing kid. Her dad would be proud of the way she is handling this.

DavidLeeNatra
09-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
His daughter Bindi sure is an amazing kid. Her dad would be proud of the way she is handling this.

and I hope that nobody starts talking shit about letting the kid speak that way to an audience...I'd be proud of my daughter...

thome
09-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Woke up about 4 this good morning, found my way to the computer.

Started viewing the Croc services for Steve-o

In between viewing parts 1, 2, 3 and so forth, found my way,
as i do every mornin, to the back porch.

Couple drags off a ciggy as the hrs pass back and forth as the
moring breaks and the light gathers ,another ciggy , parts 4&5.

Back and forth 6,7 the light came slower than most mornings
and the stillness and cool was biting, not a breeze not a leaf
moving just the quiet, just the cool, draggin on a ciggy.

No rabbits, no squirrels, no birds singing, barely in the even-ness of the light i could see a hummingbird perched on my little sugar feeder,
just sitting there, me, the mornin, the bird and steve's service.

The trees were like a picture/frozen, no movement, just the bird and
my little part for consevation, the hummingbird feeder.

I will pull the feeder this morning to send the birds on thier way
south, the feeder can make them stay too long and they may, catch a chill, due to the easy pickings at the feeder.

Simple things brought from years of watching conservationists
on Animal programs to watching the Croc Hunter make us all want
to learn more .

Help the birds on thier way but do not make them dependant on us
give them a chance and leave them to thier own strengths and
weaknesses.

When i hunt for game, i still, thru the knowlege passed on from
such people as Steve, i will and always have seen, no reason to destroy habitat or wildlife .

The Little Hummingbird lets me know it's time to pick up and move
on. I hope Austrailia Zoo and the Steve-o's legacy and The Animal
Planet Shows continue and move on. as we all must.

Rock on Roth Fans

Rock on Croc Hunter :)

Ps. The Coffee was good too.:)

Matt White
09-20-2006, 09:30 AM
http://news.aol.com/entertainment/articles/_a/irwins-fans-gather-to-honor-croc-hunter/20060919123809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001
Irwins, Fans Gather to Honor 'Croc Hunter'
TV Conservationist Remembered for His 'Zest for Life'
By DENNIS PASSA, AP

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0c/07/20060919211309990002Steve Irwin's widow Terri sits with daughter Bindi, and son Bob, at the memorial service for her husband at Australia Zoo in Beerwah, Australia.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0e/02/20060920082109990001Bindi Irwin, the daugther of the 'Crocodile Hunter,' reads her speech at the memorial service for her father.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/08/04/20060919221809990009During her speech, a massive photograph of her father was displayed behind her.

BEERWAH, Australia (Sept. 19) - "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was remembered Wednesday for his "great zest for life" at a public memorial service for the beloved conservationist and entertainer.
"We have lost a friend, a champion," actor Russell Crowe said in a recorded tribute. "It will take some time to adjust to that."

Prime Minister John Howard, among the 5,000 in attendance at the Australia Zoo for the ceremony, remembered Irwin for his love of Australia.

"Steve Irwin touched the hearts of Australians and touched the hearts of millions around the world in a very special way," said Howard. "He did that because he had that quality of being genuine, of being authentic, of being unconditional and having a great zest for life.

"Throughout his all-too-short life he demonstrated a love for the two things that ought to matter more to all of us than anything else - his love of his family and his love of his country."

A exuberant television entertainer and conservationist, Irwin, 44, died Sept. 4 when the barb from a stingray pierced his chest while he was filming for a TV show on the Great Barrier Reef. His family held a private funeral service for him on Sept. 9 at Australia Zoo.

The ceremony Wednesday featured footage of the hugely popular television program that coaxed laughter from the attendees.

As expected, there was one empty seat at Irwin's personal stadium - the one set aside for the late and hugely popular "Crocodile Hunter" himself. On the stage sat Irwin's widow, American-born Terri, and their two children, Bindi, 8, and Bob, 2 - all dressed in Irwin's favored khaki outfit. It was their first public appearance since Irwin's death.

"Please do not grieve for Steve, he's at peace now," said Steve's father, Bob Irwin. "Grieve for the animals. They have lost the best friend they ever had, and so have I."

Later, Bindi Irwin told the crowd at the ceremony that she had the "best daddy in the world."

"I will miss him every day," she said.

Flags on the Sydney Harbor Bridge flew Wednesday at half-staff, and giant television screens were set up in Irwin's home state of Queensland for people to watch the service. Three of Australia's main television networks carried the hour-long ceremony, which was made available to U.S. and international networks and which family officials said could be watched by as many as 300 million people.

One of Irwin's favorite Australian country singers, John Williamson, sang one of the naturalist's favorite songs, "True Blue."

At the end of the ceremony, Irwin's utility vechicle, packed with camping gear and his favorite surfboard, was driven from the stadium - through an honor guard of Australia Zoo employees - to an encore singing of "True Blue."

After the truck left the stadium, a group of employees spelled out Irwin's catchword "Crikey" in yellow flowers on the ground.

Crowds began lining up Tuesday night for the start of the memorial service. Later, under sunny skies just before the start of the ceremony, dozens of television satellite transmission trucks were parked outside the zoo, a flora and fauna park owned by the Irwin family since 1970.

Irwin's death set off an unprecedented outpouring of grief. Tens of thousands traveled to the zoo near Brisbane to drop off flowers and other mementoes, many of them signing khaki shirts instead of a condolence book.

Since Irwin's death, his conservation charity Wildlife Warriors has seen a surge in donations and its Web site has received millions of hits.

As part of the public memorial entitled "He Changed Our World," actress Cameron Diaz said in a video presentation that Irwin was incredibly popular in the United States.

"America just flipped for him," said Diaz. "Every kid was in love with the idea of being him."

Actor Kevin Costner said Irwin put himself "out there" for everyone to see.

"He was fearless," said Costner in the video tribute. "He let us see who he was. That is being brave in today's society."

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/08/00/20060920081909990017Australian Prime Minister John Howard even paid tribute to Irwin as his family watched.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0d/06/20060920081609990001A fan displays a poem written on the back of a khaki shirt in honor of the fallen Irwin, who was beloved in Australia. [/IMG]

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/02/05/20060904070909990014Actor Russell Crowe, shown here during a 'Tonight Show' taping, appeared in a video message at the service. "We have lost a friend, a champion."

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/07/07/20060912110209990039The outpouring of grief over Steve Irwin's death has been most felt outside his Australia Zoo, where the public memorial service took place.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/08/00/20060904142809990001Irwin holds a Sumatran tiger cub at Mogo Zoo in Australia. His enthusiam for wildlife was infectious, earning him legions of fans across the globe

Ellyllions
09-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Poor Terri cried through the entire thing.

And Wes.....poor Wes...

They're going to sell this service on DVD.

Panamark
09-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Did anyone manage to watch this and not have a few tears ?

His best mate Wes, and of course his beautiful daughter.
That did it for me.

The real positive out of the service for me was Bindi,
you look at her and know we definately still have a
part of Steve alive and well !

You would have seen Steve's interview when he spoke of
his own mother's passing, with tears in his eyes he said
it breaks your heart everyday, but you owe it to the person
you love to get up, and get on with life as best as you
can.

Minutes later Bindi showed us that same spirit.

I truly hope she can take off, where Stevo left us..
Maybe she is still a little young, but I can see it
happening. She wont be wrestling crocs, but she
can still keep his overall dream of conservation
alive and well. That would be the ultimate conclusion
to this tragic and untimely event.

RIP Steve, the hero of my life.
(I mean this, I dont think anyone else will effect me
in my lifetime the way this guy did)

Ellyllions
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Panamark....I know exactly what you mean.

I cried, my hubby cried, and my 16 year old cried as well. Isn't it funny how this one (seemingly normal) person had this affect on us. Even without us really knowing it.

Damn, his family and friends really lost a prize. If only the world was full of people like him and less people like .... well.... most of us.

Panamark
09-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Panamark....I know exactly what you mean.

I cried, my hubby cried, and my 16 year old cried as well. Isn't it funny how this one (seemingly normal) person had this affect on us. Even without us really knowing it.

Damn, his family and friends really lost a prize. If only the world was full of people like him and less people like .... well.... most of us.

My wife and I were both teary.

Now I really understand what that old saying means,

You dont realize what you have got, until its gone.

Its amazing how 10 million billion people on earth
are hell bent on destroying animals and habitat,
yet a single human can make the world sit up
and take notice, all from the power and passion
in his own heart.

We are all very privaleged to have lived at the same time
as this very special person. I hope out of the millions
of children that watched this (fuck the adults, they
are beyond repair) that several of these kids
are totally inspired and continue what Steve started.

We've spent the entire duration of our history slowly
fucking up this planet, and its taken until now for
someone like Steve to make us realize, and get
passionate about reversing the damage, while
we still have a chance.

Can one man make a difference.

Yes, and for that Steve you fucking rock !

Panamark
09-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Bindi, for those who missed it...

http://video.news.com.au/videoplayer?channel=National+News&clipid=1094_51604&bitrate=300&format=wmp

Douglas T.
02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
LONG LIVE THE MEMORIES!!
This is good fun:

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pa_7P5AbUww"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pa_7P5AbUww" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
I saw Bindi and her mom on Letterman a couple of weeks ago.

Bindi is an amazing girl. Very well-poised and extremely mature for her age.