PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my summer vacation

Hardrock69
09-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Just got back yesterday. Saw a lot of things I had wanted to see for quite sometime.

One unexpected highlight: I got shown around the Soldano amp factory by Mike Soldano himself.

A really cool guy. He is running a rather small operation...he sez the production is about 1 amp per day.

But needless to say, it was really cool to be able to hang with him and just bullshit for a little while.

Many thanks to him for taking time out of his schedule to show me around.

Other highlights:

1. Finally got to pay my respects to both Jimi Hendrix AND Bruce (and Brandon) Lee.

2. Checked out the EMP Museum, as well as the Science Fiction Hall Of Fame & Museum

3. A friend of mine and I were roommates in the early 80s, and were in several bands together. We had to move out of our house in Dallas rather abruptly....and he moved back to Seattle where he was from originally. I owed him 500 bucks when we parted, and that was a monkey on my back ever since. I am an honest sort of dude, and also a sentimental bastard. I value close friends, and my friend was so fucking cool it bugged the shit out of me ever since that he & I parted that way.

I kept track of him through another friend who lives in Everett, and then when the Internet arrived I was able to keep up with the bands he was in.

So anyway, I found out his exact address, and showed up at his house while he was having band practice in his garage.

I opened the door, and he was there with his band. He had not seen me in 23 years (had not spoken to me for 20), and had no idea I was going to show up.

So I walked in and his jaw dropped. I walked up to him and said "Here...have a thousand dollars" and put 10 100-dollar bills in his hand.

Needless to say he was shocked, and had a huge shit-eating grin on his face.

I hung out wwith him for awhile last week (he is the guy who knows Mike Soldano real well, and he used some of the cash I gave him to buy a used Hiwatt 4 X 12 cabinet from him), and on Saturday we drove down to Portland, Oregon as his band had a gig scheduled there.

4. I found the house I had lived in in 1978 when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in the Army. I was shocked to discover it was no longer a private residence, but had been turned into a VFW.

5. I took a self portrait on the steps of the apartment building where the Cameron Crowe movie "Singles" was filmed. I am not some kind of die-hard nut about the movie, but it WAS a cool flick, and it was a neat kinda Seattle landmark, as well as only being about 5 blocks from Bruce Lee's final resting place in the Capitol Hill area.

I will post some pictures later this week. I brought my new Olympus digital camera and my new digital video camcorder with me, and learned a lot about using both. I took about 300-400 photos while I was up there.

The traffic was brutal. You cannot travel up there very efficiently unless you are driving during the day when rush hours are NOT occuring.

The scenery is fucking grate, and I seriously did not want to leave.

Financially (thanks to the internet) I got great deals:

R/T airfare from Gnashville to Seattle: $200

Rented a P/T Cruiser for 6 days: $185

Motel 6: $331

Memories: Priceless.

I am glad to be back....I did not have internet access while I was up there (note to self: Buy a laptop before the next excursion up there). I am already thinking of the day when I can go up there again....total travel time each way was about 8 hours, which wasn't shit (this included layovers).

That is all for now.

Cheers, everyone!
:cool:

Guitar Shark
09-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Glad to hear you had a good time in the best city in America. :cool:

NightProwler
09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Glad to hear you had a good time in the best city in America. :cool:

Who, other than you, said it was "the best city in America"?

Matt White
09-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Right on man....

Good Times deserve to be remembered...

Guitar Shark
09-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by NightProwler
Who, other than you, said it was "the best city in America"?

Slow day at the border?

NightProwler
09-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes, actually things have slowed down nicely with the National Guard down here.

Hardrock69
09-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Back in 1978, I had just gotten out of the Army, was on unemployment, and was getting ready to get into a trade school to make job hunting even easier.

A former best friend called me while I was living up there.

I still curse his name.

He asked me if I didn't miss my friends and family back in Wichita, Kansas. I said yes, but I could deal with it. Then he asked what I would do if he drove up there to drive me back to Wichita (my then hometown).

I told him not to bother, as I was never going back to Kansas.

3 days later htere was a knock on my door, and there the fucking asshole was.

It took him another 3 days to wear me down, talking about all of our friends, my family, and him laying this fucking guilt trip on me "You know your family misses you"...

So I finally caved in and left with him.

I cannot say it was a total mistake, as I met a lot of friends soon after I got back to Wichita that I still have today.

But dammit...that fucking cocksucker just HAD to do what he did.
:mad:

Oh well.

So this was the first time I had been back in 28 years, and I had a fucking blast.

Too bad there was absolutely NOBODY I wanted to see at Bumbershoot this year. But as it was, my week was full of activity, so I really did not miss anything by not going.

Hardrock69
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Oh and Night Goober....it beats the fucking shit outta Yuma, AZ
:rolleyes:

NightProwler
09-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Really? And you know that HOW, exactly?

NightProwler
09-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

And which city do you live in?

Hardrock69
09-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by NightProwler
And which city do you live in?

That is irrelevant.

The correct question is: "Which city would you want to live in?".

Or:

"Which city would a majority of people want to live in?"

Yuma population as of 2005: About 85,000

Seattle Population in 2000:

About 2 and a half million

Seems that many more people prefer Seattle over Yuma.

If you love Yuma so much, good for you.

Go suck the Mayor's cock.