PDA

View Full Version : Saxon

Dave's Bitch
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Leaders of the NWOBHM along with bands like Def Leppard.Anyone else dig these guys?.I saw them live last march i think it was and i have been hooked on them since,They are playing the UK again next year(i hope you are reading shaun ;)).Biff Byford has a cool voice and Paul Quinn is great on guitar.Simple old school british rock at its best.

Anyone else into saxon?

Terry
09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Saxon were pretty good IMO - very underrated - never really did much of anything in the US -

But Biff Byford has ALWAYS looked utterly ridiculous. Looked silly a quarter-century ago...can't imagine he looks any better today.

Dave's Bitch
09-06-2006, 02:00 AM
lol well yeh he does look pretty silly,When i saw him he was dressed exactly the same as he always did only he has a beer belly now:).Its a shame they never really took off in the US.They are legends in the UK.Is there any reason they didnt take off or were they just not heard of?,because other NWOBHM bands like Leppard are pretty big world wide

binnie
09-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Big loud and silly!!

Gotta love Saxon!!!

You are right about Biff's voice, IMO a very underrated singer.

"Denim and Leather they bring us together"

Fuck yeah!!

VAN HLN CA
09-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Change the name to 'Biff'

Dave's Bitch
09-06-2006, 05:18 AM
It bugs me that Metallica started out by opening for Saxon on the Denim and Leather tour and they are HUGE yet Biff and the rest are unknown compared to them

binnie
09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
True, but Saxon have had a long career and can still tour every year and put out records.

That must be rewarding in itself.

They are also seen as a legendary Hevy Metal band - anyone who knows the music knows Saxon.

I'd be happy with that if I was in a band!

Terry
09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
lol well yeh he does look pretty silly,When i saw him he was dressed exactly the same as he always did only he has a beer belly now:).Its a shame they never really took off in the US.They are legends in the UK.Is there any reason they didnt take off or were they just not heard of?,because other NWOBHM bands like Leppard are pretty big world wide

They just never really had an MTV friendly-single that got into heavy rotation in the early/mid 1980s, and the band weren't really camera-friendly, either (one can see why Def Leppard circa Pyromania were good-looking enough to come across to 13 year-old girls in their promo videos, whereas Saxon had mugs that tended to frighten wee girls).

Think it had little to do with talent. Saxon weren't the only band that sprang from the NWOBHM that did diddly in the States, but I agree that they should have fared much better than they did.

DeadOrAlive
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
747 Strangers in the Night has always been a favorite. Wheels of Steel is another good one.

VAN HLN CA
09-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Denim & Leather, kept us all together

it was youth that set our spirits free.

Somthin like that.

binnie
09-07-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm getting all nostalgic!!

Heavy metal and Saxon are almost synonymous....

ace diamond
09-07-2006, 01:04 PM
saxon fucking wails!

i think dallas 1pm is still fucking awesome.....love the intro riff.....strong arm of the law was a massively killer record.

innocence is no excuse was pretty good too.

Dave's Bitch
09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Terry
They just never really had an MTV friendly-single that got into heavy rotation in the early/mid 1980s,

What about Denim and Leather or 747?,They were two huge songs,did they just not get as big as songs from leppard?

Mr. Vengeance
09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I liked them well enough. Power and the Glory was kick ass! Then they came out with that album Crusader, and they had some weak video that had this 10 minute long opening of a smi truck going through e desert......That album just got to the point of too much silliness for me.

Dave's Bitch
09-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I liked them well enough. Power and the Glory was kick ass! Then they came out with that album Crusader, and they had some weak video that had this 10 minute long opening of a smi truck going through e desert......That album just got to the point of too much silliness for me.

yeh that album i didnt think much of but i mean i can excuse a bad album or two when they gave us albums like wheels of steel and denim and leather

Terry
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
What about Denim and Leather or 747?,They were two huge songs,did they just not get as big as songs from leppard?

Just never got there in terms of visibility. Think it had less to do with "talent" (in retrospect, what Leppard did on Pyromania wasn't really anything earth-shattering, OR original) and more to do with the superfluous bullshit side issues of promotion, appearance and timing than what was in the record grooves.

binnie
09-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Saxon are still going strong though.

Their recent output hasn't been bad at all...