PDA

View Full Version : Blair Today, Gone Tomorrow?

LoungeMachine
09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Time runs out for a master escapologist
By Toby Helm Chief Political Correspondent

(Filed: 06/09/2006)

Labour MPs who want to see the back of Tony Blair were losing their cool on Monday night. Expletives were flying down the phone lines. "He should the get the **** out of it now. That's what we all think," said one, claiming to represent the vast majority.

Angry letters were circulating, demanding that the most successful leader in Labour's history clear his Downing Street desk – and quick. In the early hours, ringleaders of the fledgling coup – many of them ex-Blairites – were totting up the names of fellow assassins recruited from the backbenches.

Would there be enough to force Blair out? "It is running out of control. No one has a good word to say about him," said another MP.

advertisement
Twelve hours later – in the cool light of day – the message was modified as tempers simmered down. "We are not saying he has to go tomorrow, just that he has to clarify his position – and leave soon," said a source at the centre of the plot.

The row is not so much about the timing of the handover to a new leader as the mechanics of how and when to inform the world that it is going to happen.

Mr Blair, the most brilliant exponent of presentational spin, is tearing himself apart over how to spin his own departure from office.

Anti-Blair MPs realise that in all probability they do not have that long to wait. They are fairly sure that the Prime Minister will be on his way by next spring or soon after, having served a decade at Number 10. That would be enough for Gordon Brown or whoever else succeeds Mr Blair to settle in before a general election.

They are right to be optimistic because the Prime Minister has been clear for months in his own mind that he will serve 10 years and then take his leave. Almost everyone will be broadly happy with that.

The disagreement is over how to get to next May without the row crippling the Government and party to such an extent that Mr Blair's successor inherits an unelectable wreck unable to keep David Cameron's Tories out of office.

Many Labour MPs, former ministers and even a good many current ministers want Mr Blair to announce later this month that this year's party conference will be his last. They want clarity.

Mr Blair could then call a leadership contest next spring and have his successor in place by mid-summer in time for a coronation at next year's annual gathering.

Mr Blair sees the problem as far more complex. He wants to reassure his MPs and the country that he is on his way, but without delivering so much clarity and finality that he immediately becomes a lame duck for the rest of his time in office.

The latest flare-up was triggered by an interview last week in which Mr Blair gave the impression – unintentionally it now seems – that he was determined not to respond to the anxieties of his MPs who wanted to know more about his plans.

He said he would not set a timetable for his departure and told the party to stop "obsessing" about the date. Sources now say he had not really set out to sound as defiant as he did. In fact he had wanted to do the reverse. But the wrong message got out.

It was a red rag to the "sooner rather than later" brigade. MPs, who had been assured by Mr Blair before the recess that there would be a "smooth and orderly" transition and told privately that they would be kept informed, felt they were being ignored.

Suspicions returned that Mr Blair might want to go "on and on" and that the real game was to keep Mr Brown out of power. Brownites were furious when Blair supporters effectively invited the Chancellor to show his mettle and dare to stage a coup.

Yesterday's events mean Mr Blair will almost certainly have to address the issue of timing before the conference, having said just a week ago he would not do so directly. If he refuses, MPs believe he will be jeered and booed in Manchester.

Tony Blair is a master escapologist. But time is running out for him. Unless he names his date soon his MPs will fix it for him.

The long goodbye

Telegraph Group Limited 2006.

Seshmeister
09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
He's just announced he'll be gone within a year.

Lebanon was the last straw for a lot of people and he's being forced out by his party.

Steve Savicki
09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Perhaps...

Sorry for the dupe *1 cup of coffee didn't do it today*

Jérôme Frenchise
09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
May Blair go to hell. Period.

He's been Bush's yes-man, the vassal of the OECD and the like, he's buried public services even deeper, brought nothing but shit to Britain.

The British should burn that speck of shit on a stake. :mad:

Steve Savicki
09-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh, happy belated b-day BTW Jerome.

Seshmeister
09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
May Blair go to hell. Period.

He's been Bush's yes-man, the vassal of the OECD and the like, he's buried public services even deeper, brought nothing but shit to Britain.

The British should burn that speck of shit on a stake. :mad:

True but like France the alternatives aren't so great either.

'Vote for the crook not the racist' kind of thing.

The opposition are a bunch of pricks too.

Blair has spent a lot of money on public services but it seems a lot has been wasted.

We're going to end up with a Scottish guy for at least a couple of years. He's been running the economy well for the last 10 years but who knows how good he will be as a prime minister?

At least we assume he won't be sucking Bush's cock to the same extent.

That would be impossible.

Cheers!

:gulp:

binnie
09-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Blair's presidnetial politics have backfired.

Brown doesn't have the charisma to lead the country, IMO.

Can't see labour getting in next time, and the thought of a Cameron government scares me stupid.

But I'm in a pickle, because I won't vote for a labour governement that took us to war.

Lets hope the Liberals can produce something worthwhile (I just laughed when I typed that)

Jérôme Frenchise
09-08-2006, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
True but like France the alternatives aren't so great either.

'Vote for the crook not the racist' kind of thing.

Very true that...

The opposition are a bunch of pricks too.

Blair has spent a lot of money on public services but it seems a lot has been wasted.

We're going to end up with a Scottish guy for at least a couple of years. He's been running the economy well for the last 10 years but who knows how good he will be as a prime minister?

At least we assume he won't be sucking Bush's cock to the same extent.

That would be impossible.

Cheers!

:gulp:

It really seems Blair's policy had nothing "Labour". So then, if Labour is to do about the same as the Cons, what choice is left for electors?
Plague or cholera?

A Scotsman holding the controls sounds GREAT in itself. :)

Seshmeister
09-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by binnie

But I'm in a pickle, because I won't vote for a labour governement that took us to war.

Lets hope the Liberals can produce something worthwhile (I just laughed when I typed that)

:)

I've voted Liberal a few times but they can go fuck themselves. They're not liberal at all by my definition of the word. They are like a bunch of nosey wet school teachers who want to control everything we do. And they backstabbed Charlie K the best thing about them. They would bring out a law to ban alcohol in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

SNP increasingly irritate me and the Ned party has split up now brother Tommy has left.

In a 5 party system I have absolutely noone to vote for that I don't hate. Maybe an independant will stand or something...

Nickdfresh
09-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Perhaps...

Sorry for the dupe *1 cup of coffee didn't do it today*

No harm, no foul.

binnie
09-08-2006, 09:02 AM
:)

I've voted Liberal a few times but they can go fuck themselves. They're not liberal at all by my definition of the word. They are like a bunch of nosey wet school teachers who want to control everything we do. And they backstabbed Charlie K the best thing about them. They would bring out a law to ban alcohol in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

SNP increasingly irritate me and the Ned party has split up now brother Tommy has left.

In a 5 party system I have absolutely noone to vote for that I don't hate. Maybe an independant will stand or something...

I agree, I can't remember a more apathetic time in politics....

Nickdfresh
09-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Interesting how the Brits here discuss politics with a skepticism, and as a choice of the lessor of two evils.

binnie
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, cyncism is the currency here these days.

Basically, until Blair took control of the Labour party, they were really Left-wing, and whether you agreed with them or not, it provided a complete difference from the right-wing conservatives.

However, over the past 12 years (I think Blair became leader of Labour in '95 but I may be wrong) Labour has become a centre-right party: the is next to no difference between them and the Conservatives.

As a result, British politics is currently style over substance, as both parties have essentially the same polices - that is why it is a case of the lesser of two evils for anyone who doesn't consider themselves centre-right....

The only realy issue that separates the parties is the amount of involvment we should have in Europe; Conservatives are dead against, most of Labour seem pro, but they will neve let it become an issue (like by having a referendum on the issue) because then it will give the electorate something to chose over.

Finally, right now in the UK I would be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks that any politician does there job due to a desire toserve or improve the country: apathy and mistrust rule here......

Nickdfresh
09-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Well, cyncism is the currency here these days.

Basically, until Blair took control of the Labour party, they were really Left-wing, and whether you agreed with them or not, it provided a complete difference from the right-wing conservatives.

However, over the past 12 years (I think Blair became leader of Labour in '95 but I may be wrong) Labour has become a centre-right party: the is next to no difference between them and the Conservatives.

As a result, British politics is currently style over substance, as both parties have essentially the same polices - that is why it is a case of the lesser of two evils for anyone who doesn't consider themselves centre-right....

The only realy issue that separates the parties is the amount of involvment we should have in Europe; Conservatives are dead against, most of Labour seem pro, but they will neve let it become an issue (like by having a referendum on the issue) because then it will give the electorate something to chose over.

Finally, right now in the UK I would be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks that any politician does there job due to a desire toserve or improve the country: apathy and mistrust rule here......

I'm not complaining, I'm envious actually. Over here it's limited to Gore sucks, and Kerry sucks and Bush is great! and that sort of thing, without any actual reasoning why. People do not rationally vote over here anymore. But I guess one could make the argument that the post-9/11 fear-mentality has much to do with that, but still...

Seshmeister
09-08-2006, 07:51 PM

I think on the whole I prefer it that way rather than just kidding yourself it's any other way.

At least it keeps the politicians on their toes.

I'm as cynical as you can be but I think there is less corruption in the UK than most Western countries because of it.