X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Armitage Says He Was Source in CIA Leak

WASHINGTON - The former No. 2 State Department official said Thursday he inadvertently disclosed the identity of CIA employee Valerie Plame in conversations with two reporters in 2003.

Confirming that he was the source of a leak that triggered a federal investigation, former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said he never intended to reveal Plame's identity. He apologized for his conversations with syndicated columnist Robert Novak and Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward.

For almost three years, an investigation led by Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has tried to determine whether Bush administration officials intentionally revealed Plame's identity as covert operative as a way to punish her husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, for criticizing the Bush administration's march to war with Iraq.

"I made a terrible mistake, not maliciously, but I made a terrible mistake," Armitage said in a telephone interview from his home Thursday night.

He said he did not realize Plame's job was covert.

Armitage's admission suggested that the leak did not originate at the White House as retribution for Wilson's comments about the Iraq war. Wilson, a former ambassador, discounted reports that then-Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had tried to buy yellowcake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon _ claims that wound up in President Bush's 2003 State of the Union address.

Armitage said he was not a part of a conspiracy to reveal Plame's identity and did not know whether one existed.

He described his June 2003 conversation with Woodward as an afterthought at the end of a lengthy interview.

"He said, 'Hey, what's the deal with Wilson?' and I said, 'I think his wife works out there,'" Armitage recalled.

He described a more direct conversation with Novak, who was the first to report on the issue: "He said to me, 'Why did the CIA send Ambassador Wilson to Niger?' I said, as I remember, 'I don't know, but his wife works out there.'"

Armitage, whose admission was first reported by CBS News Thursday, said he cooperated fully with Fitzgerald's investigation. He was never a target of the investigation and did not hire a lawyer. He agreed to speak to reporters after Fitzgerald released him from a promise of confidentiality.

Armitage said he considered coming forward late last month when a flurry of news reports identified him as the leak. But he said he did not want to be accused of trying to get the story out during the summer's slow news cycle.

"I did what I did," Armitage said. "I embarrassed my president, my secretary, my department, my family and I embarrassed the Wilsons. And for that I'm very sorry."

I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney, is the only administration official charged in the CIA leak case. He faces trial in January on charges he lied to authorities about conversations he had with reporters about Plame.

Armitage said he assumed Plame's job was not a secret because it was included in a State Department memo.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Xfinity Discovery Hub is your resource for Xfinity product news, technology education, and more. Learn about TV, internet, home security, and more.
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Well, I think the case is closed for Fitzpatrick, and Fitzmas Fizzled.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

And fatboy takes the fall.

Ignorance is not an excuse for treason. Same goes for the reporters.

"Oh, I'm sorry officer, I didn't know it was illegal to drink and drive. I'm sorry."

::insert gay/poop picture here::
      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

So much for some conspiracy against the Wilsons set up by Monsieurs Rove and Cheney.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

This isn't the end of anything actually. This may just be the defense launching their counter-attack by spreading out the targets using "good soldiers" to take the fall.

And as DC pointed out, "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

Yep with the "testimony" provided by Richard "El Patsy" Armitage we can mark this one case closed! Whew!

Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              So much for some conspiracy against the Wilsons set up by Monsieurs Rove and Cheney.
              Um dude, the idea that the No. 2 State Dept. official did not know basic CIA protocols (the CIA uses diplomatic State Dept. positions as cover) is so preposterous, I'm at a loss.

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                This isn't the end of anything actually. This may just be the defense launching their counter-attack by spreading out the targets using "good soldiers" to take the fall.

And as DC pointed out, "ignorance of the law is no excuse."
                Yeah, but who wrote that 'memo'.

And it's convenient that Colin Powell resigned right after this supposedly happened.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  Um dude, the idea that the No. 2 State Dept. official did not know basic CIA protocols (the CIA uses diplomatic State Dept. positions as cover) is so preposterous, I'm at a loss.
                  You're walking into a trap. Remember, we're talking about government officials here.

We've all seen guys higher up do far more idiotic things.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And it's convenient that Colin Powell resigned right after this supposedly happened.
                    Colin Powell resigned because of the WMD fallout (no pun intended). I could be wrong, but I think it was public knowledge he was quitting long before Plame-gate.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

I'll take Conspiracy Theories for $100.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You're walking into a trap. Remember, we're talking about government officials here.

We've all seen guys higher up do far more idiotic things.
                        Well, you have a point there. Bush did appoint "Brownie" to head FEMA, and he was a complete ignorant incompetent. So, you may be right.

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Brown, a fucking horse trainer running FEMA.

Unbelievable.

Comment

• Ellyllions
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

I just find it a bit ridiculous that Armitage not only admitted that it was him in the here and now, but he also told Fitzpatrick and his boss Colin Powell as it was going down. He told them both, "Hey, I think it was me!" Both of them told him not to speak of it ever again. Colin resigns, and Fitzpatrick goes after Scooter Libby.

So taxpayer dollars were spent on elaborate indictments, bullshit printed on every front page in America, and now? Now, can you find this story on the front page?

It behooves me how stupid it's all gotten. There is no winning the war against terror, there is no reforming homeland issues...it's all a race for celebrity status, air-time, and sensationalism. We can't fix the problems we have because we're too busy trying to tear each other down.
                            "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Um yeah, whatever you said, and you need to please follow Lounge's directive regarding the unfair and diabolical change in your avatar, or you will be banned from this forum.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...