PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Kiss double DVD

Mr Badguy
09-10-2006, 05:28 AM
The first installment of the long awaited, long rumoured (three volume) DVD boxset of vintage Kiss live performances is scheduled for release on 31 October. Titled "KISSOLOGY: VOLUME ONE 1974-77", the two disc boxser will have a running time of six hours and include clips and four complete concerts. However, as the years 1974-77 in the title indicate, it won`t include the full perfomances from either of the last two final clubs shows that the band undertook in 1973 (Dec 21 and 22) at The Coventry in Queens, NY.

When former manager Bill Aucoin discovered the tape in his archives a few years ago consisting of footage from these last two club shows Kiss did before they went out on their first actual tour, he showed the video to Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley and ever since there have been negotiations on and off to get the material officially released on DVD. on eof the two shows is said to be the complete perfomance, while the other one is incomplete as a rehersal had been taped over it.

When Bill Aucoin talked about a vintage Kiss boxset at the June Kiss Expo Belgium, he also mention several very cool bonus features to be part of the box set - incuding a full audio recording of a kiss performance at The Daisy in 1973 along with rehersal footage from the La Tang studios as well as a demo recorded fro Casablanca Records boss Neil Bogart.

So, what will be on this six hour DVD set then?
According to the trailer, it includes "five infamous television appearances" (but -in some sort of sad Kiss tradition- not complete as not all the performed songs on "In Concert", The Midnight Special" and "The Paul Lynde Halloween Special" are included!), four complete concerts and "never-before-seen live footage". All digitally restored and 5:1 audio mix and new liner notes from the band. The complete shows are: SanFransisco `75 (Jan 31), Detroit `76 (Jan 26), Tokyo `77 (Apr 2) and Houston `77 (Sep 2). Other bits and pieces include the bands performance on "The Mike Douglas Show" in April of `74, the 1975 promo clips for "Come on and love me" and "Rock n Roll all night" and the bands appearance on the English TV show "So it goes" from August 21, 1976. The "definitive Kiss video anthology" is presented by VH1 Classic, who will air the special "Hanging with...Kiss" around the time of release. Distribution will be taken care of by Fontana Distribution, an independnt music distribution company. And apparently, the Dvds will also contain a couple of hidden features, being one song from one of the above final Coventry performances and Kiss` one-song live performance at Ace Frehley`s wedding, which took place on May 1, 1976 at The Americana in New York.

Source: Blabbermouth.net

======================================

Yeah, bring it on, I`m first in the queue for this.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Outstanding, definitely a must-have for KISS fans....

And released the day after my birthday, when I turn 21.... ;)

x2, that is....

Mr. Vengeance
09-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Sounds great. Kiss did a good job with their box set, so hopefully this will be good too..

ODShowtime
09-10-2006, 10:03 AM
What a novel idea... release live music from when you were good!

This should be a good one.

MAPRamone
09-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
What a novel idea... release live music from when you were good!

Yeah, it could catch on! Oh who am i kidding, we'll never see the DVD we really wanna see.:(

Unchainme
09-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Holy Fucking Shit..

This sounds very kickass...

Yeah, I'm defintly picking this up..

Amazing How spED won't put out the Classic Stuff :rolleyes:

Say what you want about KISS, but at least they do put out the classic rare shit..

FORD
09-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Looks like the first KISS product worth buying since their Unplugged CD 10 years ago.

Also sounds like the type of collection that another band loosely connected to Gene Simmons should be releasing.

binnie
09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Excellent!

Many a happy hour of viewing no doubt!

Terry
09-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm getting it. It's a given.

Hopefully the second one will be from 1978 to 1983, and have a full-length show from 1979 on there. If so, I'll get that one, too. (maybe it'll also have a full-length Australia 1980 show, as well as Brazil 1983).

Anything they put out covering the periods after Creatures, however, has no interest for me.

Tiki-Tom
09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Terry

Anything they put out covering the periods after Creatures, however, has no interest for me.

Agreed. the last time I saw them live (other than the 96 reunion tour)was on the Creatures tour and they sounded great. They were shit after that. Especially the rest of their 80's crap! The Gene in drag phase.

ALMOSTsaved
09-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm fucking stoked too...Let's just hope they don't try to fix the sound like on the other "live" albums and have the scabs correct any Ace and Peter "mistakes."

Terry
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
I'm fucking stoked too...Let's just hope they don't try to fix the sound like on the other "live" albums and have the scabs correct any Ace and Peter "mistakes."

It'll be touched up in the studio, just like all of KISS's other live albums were...THAT much I'd be willing to bet on.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-10-2006, 09:47 PM
If you've seen one KISS concert on DVD, you've seen them all.

Tiki-Tom
09-11-2006, 02:35 AM
It'll be touched up in the studio, just like all of KISS's other live albums were...THAT much I'd be willing to bet on.
Much like most of their studio discs had various extra studio players on them. At least after the first few discs.

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
If you've seen one KISS concert on DVD, you've seen them all.
That is very true. If we could have a clip of Ace getting electrocuted on stage in Lakeland or more similar stuff, Now that would make for some great easter eggs worth paying for!

Tiki-Tom
09-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Hell,my copy of Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show interview is just about if not more entertaining than any live kiss dvd I'v ever seen.
Man, that interview is classic. You gotta love the "Spacebear":gulp:

I love how pissed Gene looks as Ace steals the show!

Part 1
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jzve-Tmd70"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jzve-Tmd70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvFNs3_uaUg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvFNs3_uaUg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
09-11-2006, 03:16 AM
The symphony DVD was good, but for all the wrong reasons.

I was simultaneously entertained and appalled!!

Lookin' forward to this one though....

Tiki-Tom
09-11-2006, 03:28 AM
Hell , this interview is so good it needs its own thread

Hardrock69
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
There is a Madison Square Garden pro-shot video out on DVD in bootleg world from February of 1977....I would have thought they would include that one as well...

Oh well.

I will buy this thing fer sure.

Vinnie Velvet
09-11-2006, 01:58 PM

Hopefully the second one will be from 1978 to 1983, and have a full-length show from 1979 on there. If so, I'll get that one, too. (maybe it'll also have a full-length Australia 1980 show, as well as Brazil 1983).

My guess is that the last volume will 'gloss' over the shows in the 80s, but, however should include stuff from 1988 Monsters of Rock (Donnigton) and shows from 1990 and 1992-94.

Then it will most definitely include stuff from the Reunion years (1996-2001).

I doubt they will even get to the point of Scab KISS. They should just end it off at the point of the Farewell Tour.

Terry
09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Hell,my copy of Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show interview is just about if not more entertaining than any live kiss dvd I'v ever seen.

Ace and Peter looked like they were lit up. Too lit up to care that Gene was being a dick.

Tiki-Tom
09-12-2006, 12:10 AM
They probably had to stay messed up to deal with that dickhead. And that other dickhead, too.

binnie
09-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Ace and Peter looked like they were lit up. Too lit up to care that Gene was being a dick.

That's the story of Kiss right there - 1973 to present!

ace diamond
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
i can't fucking wait to dig my teeth and claws into this one!!!!!!!

diamondD
09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
LOL I forgot all about that Tom Snyder interview, but remember watching it in awe years ago.

This does sound pretty good. I might skip Netflix and buy this one outright. Still hanging on to my out-of-print Unplugged dvd, which I'll never understand why they pulled. It was the only Kiss I got excited about since Alive II.

Mr. Vengeance
09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved

You mean like the "live" tracks on You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best? The vocals couldn't have been any more like the 90's Gene and Paul, and we weren't supposed to know the difference?

Terry
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
You mean like the "live" tracks on You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best? The vocals couldn't have been any more like the 90's Gene and Paul, and we weren't supposed to know the difference?

Only thing that had to offer was the reunited band interview with Leno (where Gene actually expressed both a bit of humility AND some appreciation towards Ace and Peter for rejoining), and that's not saying much...

Vinnie Velvet
09-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
LOL I forgot all about that Tom Snyder interview, but remember watching it in awe years ago.

This does sound pretty good. I might skip Netflix and buy this one outright. Still hanging on to my out-of-print Unplugged dvd, which I'll never understand why they pulled. It was the only Kiss I got excited about since Alive II.

It'd be interesting to see if Gene allows the Tom Synder interview to be on Volume 2 of KISSology (slated for next year). They might also have to get the rights to the Tommorrow show from NBC.

I mean, he should, dispite his dislike of it and how it went, as far as Gene was concerned.

KISS fans love the interview.

Vinnie Velvet
09-14-2006, 02:35 PM

Part 1
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jzve-Tmd70"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0jzve-Tmd70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvFNs3_uaUg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvFNs3_uaUg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If you watch to Paul's reactions, he's actually enjoying himself and Ace's jokes and laughter but seems to pull back knowing that Gene is not happy with it.

indeedido
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM

I have most of these via bootlegs, bu will buy for hopefully better quality. But most of Kiss' boots are proshot boots so they are good anyway. What is the deal with Creatures? There really isn't jack shit out there but a 40 minute Brazil compilation with a few live clips and interviews. I want a COMPLETE Creatures tour show. The Tank Tour. Eric Carrs drum set is HUGE.

Vinnie Velvet
09-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by indeedido
I have most of these via bootlegs, bu will buy for hopefully better quality. But most of Kiss' boots are proshot boots so they are good anyway. What is the deal with Creatures? There really isn't jack shit out there but a 40 minute Brazil compilation with a few live clips and interviews. I want a COMPLETE Creatures tour show. The Tank Tour. Eric Carrs drum set is HUGE.

That will most likely be in Volume 2.

I'm sure they will have a complete concert, or most of it, of the '83 Brazil show.

Tiki-Tom
09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
If you watch to Paul's reactions, he's actually enjoying himself and Ace's jokes and laughter but seems to pull back knowing that Gene is not happy with it.

Yeah, Paul's demeanor is definitely awkward, like he wants in on the fun but he's scared of the bitch-slap Gene'll give him.

binnie
09-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Being in Kiss must be a pretty odd job.

Like "wow I'm touring with a legendary rock band" and then "Jesus these ego's clash like two fat chicks over the last hot dog".

Tommy Thayer, I don't envy you bro.....

Terry
09-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah, Paul's demeanor is definitely awkward, like he wants in on the fun but he's scared of the bitch-slap Gene'll give him.

Ace and Peter, to quote Criss, were "the guys that made it interesting."

Seriously, nobody would even be talking about the Snyder interview today if it were just 20 minutes of Gene and Paul blathering out their usual trite arsenal of rock interview cliches. Ace and Pete made it memorable. For all of Gene's fire-breathing antics, Ace and Pete represented a dangerous element to the band. When Paul and Gene took over, we ended up with shit like the Elder, Unmasked, Dynasty etc (the only tunes I can even listen to off of Unmasked and Dynasty are Ace's or the ones Pete sang).

Vinnie Velvet
09-20-2006, 05:24 PM

I have the KISS biography 'Behind the Mask' and has Ace talking about the Tommorrow show.

He basically said that he was nervous as hell to be on a prime time show that he drank a half a bottle of wine just before the interview.

Of course, manager Bill Aucoin knew this and still went ahead.

According to Aucoin, Gene was simply pissed at Ace because he "stole the show."
Everyone thought Ace was not a distraction but a loveable drunk -- everyone had a blast watching it...except Gene.

If you watch again, even Paul was making a joke out of the first drum riser that they used and how it would skip and Peter would be freaking out.

Gene was just an uptight ass. Maybe he had a tiff with Cher before the interview.
:D

Vinnie Velvet
09-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Ace and Peter, to quote Criss, were "the guys that made it interesting."

Seriously, nobody would even be talking about the Snyder interview today if it were just 20 minutes of Gene and Paul blathering out their usual trite arsenal of rock interview cliches. Ace and Pete made it memorable. For all of Gene's fire-breathing antics, Ace and Pete represented a dangerous element to the band. When Paul and Gene took over, we ended up with shit like the Elder, Unmasked, Dynasty etc (the only tunes I can even listen to off of Unmasked and Dynasty are Ace's or the ones Pete sang).

Ace and Peter were more "rock and roll" in every sense of the word, in comparison to Gene and Paul.

It was a dynamic that worked and that lent itself to a string of great albums.
But I guess that kinda behaviour doesn't sustain a band -- that I can understand. Just look at how Edward's drunkeness has effected VH.

Peter's behaviour just started being difficult on the Dynasty tour -- basically he didn't want to be a part of KISS anymore, was abusing some drugs and so on.

But Pete from 1972-1978 wasn't necessarily like that. he played on all the albums and was ON during the shows.

Ace's behaviour was that, yes, he did drink, but I never heard it affect his ability to play on tour and so on. We've heard the story from Gene how Ace didn't show up to record a solo for "Sweet Pain" off of Destroyer. Ace's argument was that he DID do a solo for the song, but that when he finally heard the album, it was cut and replaced by Dick Wagners! Apparently, Bob Ezrin wanted Ace to re-cut and do another solo -- but didn't wait around and got some other guy (for whatever reason) to play it.

Ace's problems with the band started when he was out-voted on band decisions when Eric Carr joined in '80. Carr was a new member and was not involved with major band decisions. The balance of power shifted towards Gene and Paul, which left Ace frustrated.

That's how the Elder came about. Ace wanted the band to do a hard rock album, in comparison to Unmasked -- that was the plan until Ezrin came up with the whole 'rock opera' concept.

Ace was voted out. He got pissed and started drinking, etc.

That's how he left.

So, when we hear Gene say that Ace and Peter had destructive personalities -- take that with a grain of salt, because there was more to it than that.

Terry
09-20-2006, 08:27 PM
That will most likely be in Volume 2.

I'm sure they will have a complete concert, or most of it, of the '83 Brazil show.

I am totally fucking PSYCHED for this thing to come out. Have only seen live clips of what was released on the official KISS vid releases (plus I have a dvd of several tunes of a 1976 concert that I bought last year)....

This is really the first thing KISS has done since 1996 that I'm looking forward too, because since the abomination of PsychoCircus, I just couldn't be bothered with them anymore...

And good for KISS that they're not playing the Van Halen game of loading it heavily with a bunch of mid 80s to early 90s stuff alongside just a few clips of the era of the band most people really want to see - think it's good that they're putting it out in stages (and I have no doubt the 70s / early 80s stuff is gonna handily outsell anything from the beginning of the makeupless period to 1992).

That whole BOV1 cd and vid business pissed me off, particularly the vid, which was Van Hagar heavy to a ridiculous extreme (Finally jettisoned that shit once Napalm Up Your Ass came my way). Am glad Gene isn't going down that route.

Vinnie Velvet
09-21-2006, 10:35 AM
I am totally fucking PSYCHED for this thing to come out. Have only seen live clips of what was released on the official KISS vid releases (plus I have a dvd of several tunes of a 1976 concert that I bought last year)....

This is really the first thing KISS has done since 1996 that I'm looking forward too, because since the abomination of PsychoCircus, I just couldn't be bothered with them anymore...

And good for KISS that they're not playing the Van Halen game of loading it heavily with a bunch of mid 80s to early 90s stuff alongside just a few clips of the era of the band most people really want to see - think it's good that they're putting it out in stages (and I have no doubt the 70s / early 80s stuff is gonna handily outsell anything from the beginning of the makeupless period to 1992).

That whole BOV1 cd and vid business pissed me off, particularly the vid, which was Van Hagar heavy to a ridiculous extreme (Finally jettisoned that shit once Napalm Up Your Ass came my way). Am glad Gene isn't going down that route.

Don't get me started on the crap VH has released, as far as vid releases go.

KISS have always released great stuff on video, like Exposed, Animalize Live Uncensored, X-treme Close-Up, etc.

But the DVD volumes they are starting will be the holy grail of KISS vids.
Its gonna be a great Halloween!

Terry
09-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Don't get me started on the crap VH has released, as far as vid releases go.

KISS have always released great stuff on video, like Exposed, Animalize Live Uncensored, X-treme Close-Up, etc.

But the DVD volumes they are starting will be the holy grail of KISS vids.
Its gonna be a great Halloween!

Fuckin' A!

Nickdfresh
09-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, the resident Kiss-hater will anxiously await this release.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I have to say that I really don't concur that Gene was all that pissed...

It really didn't appear that way to me...

That was a great interview though....

Vinnie Velvet
09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I have to say that I really don't concur that Gene was all that pissed...

It really didn't appear that way to me...

That was a great interview though....

At times maybe not.

But he was indeed uncomfortable. I'm not sure what Gene wanted as far as the interview with Tom Synder was concered. Did he think there was going to be an intellectual discussion on world issues??? Come on, how can anyone have a serious interview with the band dressed up like that! Afterall, it was HALLOWEEN!

FORD
11-01-2006, 05:00 AM
Well, let me be the first to officially review this slice of video "KISSTORY".......

If you're a fan of the original KISS, you'll love it naturally. Actually, "naturally" is a key word here, because this is definitely a collection of videos which has NOT been remastered and reprocessed into a 21st century creation like the Led Zeppelin DVD was. So while the Zeppelin stuff sounded incredible, the KISS stuff sounded like it did in the 70's.

More to the point, this collection looks like Gene Simmons located copies of a bunch of bootlegs from the 70's, and compiled them onto 2 DVD's and said "Hey I can make money off this".

And knowing Gene, that's probably what happenned.

Don't take that as a negative though, simply said, this is classic fucking shit, whether it's in pristine 5.1 surround or not.

Funniest moment is near the end of disc one when Gene begins singing "Let Me Go Rock N Roll" with the wrong lyrics....

"You show us every thing you......"

And this is just AFTER playing "Rock and Roll All Night"

Didn't Gene swear he never touched drugs? ;)

Disc One is a whopping three and a half hours long, so that's all the KISS I can stand in one sitting (since a lot of songs are repeated especially) but I'm sure the second DVD is more of the same.

Great choice for Halloween viewing.

Hardrock69
11-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Gene smoked pot.

He is a lying fuckwad.

:rolleyes:

Va Beach VH Fan
11-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Well, let me be the first to officially review this slice of video "KISSTORY".......

If you're a fan of the original KISS, you'll love it naturally. Actually, "naturally" is a key word here, because this is definitely a collection of videos which has NOT been remastered and reprocessed into a 21st century creation like the Led Zeppelin DVD was. So while the Zeppelin stuff sounded incredible, the KISS stuff sounded like it did in the 70's.

More to the point, this collection looks like Gene Simmons located copies of a bunch of bootlegs from the 70's, and compiled them onto 2 DVD's and said "Hey I can make money off this".

And knowing Gene, that's probably what happenned.

Don't take that as a negative though, simply said, this is classic fucking shit, whether it's in pristine 5.1 surround or not.

Funniest moment is near the end of disc one when Gene begins singing "Let Me Go Rock N Roll" with the wrong lyrics....

"You show us every thing you......"

And this is just AFTER playing "Rock and Roll All Night"

Didn't Gene swear he never touched drugs? ;)

Disc One is a whopping three and a half hours long, so that's all the KISS I can stand in one sitting (since a lot of songs are repeated especially) but I'm sure the second DVD is more of the same.

Great choice for Halloween viewing.

How much did it set you back FORD ??

Fairwrning
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I picked this up at Best Buy for $19.95...I think it goes to $24.95 in a week..still damn cheap by KISS standards
I love this thing..watched the entire "Winterland" section..These guys were the shit in 1974-77..
Skipped thru bits and peices of the rest..any KISS fan should get this..great memories with all the TV gigs..
Also..Hidden footage of Ace's wedding in 1976..they are actually filmed without the makeup playing at the reception..also hidden is the "earliest" know peformance
Just highlight the "KISS" logo on the dvd menus to access..

FORD
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
How much did it set you back FORD ??

$18 at Best Buy. Not a bad price for a 2 DVD set (which is actually a 3 DVD set if you get one of the initial pressings)

Of course the Garth Brooks DVD box is still a better deal. I might pick that one up tomorrow.

Eyes of the Night
11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
For being a kisshater, like my bre NickD, I also will anqiousley be waiting for it's release ...
:smoke2:

ODShowtime
11-01-2006, 07:28 PM
that sucks about the sound quality.

oh well, I'll still buy it

Matt White
11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna get it tomorrow....

rustoffa
11-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Gene smoked pot.

He is a lying fuckwad.

:rolleyes:

The dog got spooked, stuff fell, I really can't describe the chaos that happened after I laughed out loud at that.....

5 thousand fucking stars....

Holy shit, I'm crying
:lol: :lol: :killer: :killer: :gulp: :rockit:

Hardrock69
11-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Dude, one of my bad luck episodes in life is that I had a photo of him getting high.

January 13, 1977 Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas.

I was in the front row, and a fan handed him a joint...he took a BIG hit off of it, just as I snapped a pic. You could plainly see the cherry on the joint.

Over the years, it disappeared. I lost the photo or someone stole it, and then 5 years ago when Gene started lying in public about how he never did drugs, I went looking for the negatives. I still have them, but 25 years after they were taken, chemical corrosion has eaten half of them up.

My bad luck...if I at least still had the photograph, I coulda published it and proved what a lying idiot he is.

The pic might be somewhere buried in all my stuff, but I have not seen it in years, and it is not in the photo album with the rest of the pics I shot that night.

Trust me...if I EVER find it, it is going on the net.

Matt White
11-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Just got it today......

A LOT of KISS ALIVE era live footage......

I prefer the DESTROYER tour stuff.....the NIPPON concert is A+

VERY COOL INDEED

rustoffa
11-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Dude, one of my bad luck episodes in life is that I had a photo of him getting high.

January 13, 1977 Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas.

I was in the front row, and a fan handed him a joint...he took a BIG hit off of it, just as I snapped a pic. You could plainly see the cherry on the joint.

Over the years, it disappeared. I lost the photo or someone stole it, and then 5 years ago when Gene started lying in public about how he never did drugs, I went looking for the negatives. I still have them, but 25 years after they were taken, chemical corrosion has eaten half of them up.

My bad luck...if I at least still had the photograph, I coulda published it and proved what a lying idiot he is.

The pic might be somewhere buried in all my stuff, but I have not seen it in years, and it is not in the photo album with the rest of the pics I shot that night.

Trust me...if I EVER find it, it is going on the net.

I read some interview with Flip Wilson somewhere...he was asked about his "Geraldine" character....something about other people in showbiz razzing him about it. He said something like, "Naw, but Paul Lynde took alot of grief about smoking reefer with the fire-breathing Kiss guy...Chuck Riley had enough material to do stand -up."

Terry
11-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Am picking it up this weekend.

Does suck about the sound quality, agreed, but am glad to hear the price is under $30. Gene being greedy coupled with hearing about how much stuff was getting thrown onto those discs, I thought it would go for $35 easy.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I grabbed it tonight...

Watched some of Disc 1, the early stuff....

Is it just me, or was Ace's playing much cleaner before he became a flat-out drunk ??

Also, the complete Cadillac, MI story was very cool...

I like the statement the mayor made, "that night there were maybe 2,000 people there, but now that's ballooned to about 100,000 who said they were there"....

Matt White
11-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I grabbed it tonight...

Watched some of Disc 1, the early stuff....

Is it just me, or was Ace's playing much cleaner before he became a flat-out drunk ??

Also, the complete Cadillac, MI story was very cool...

I like the statement the mayor made, "that night there were maybe 2,000 people there, but now that's ballooned to about 100,000 who said they were there"....

I agree 1000% VAB.....ACE COOKED in the early stuff....

Anybody notice the two-hand tapping ACE does on THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL 1975 SHE performance?!?

The_KiD
11-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Nice.. I am going to pick this up later today when I am out..

KiD

Terry
11-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, picked it up today, and I must say I'm very pleased.

Have seen snippets of all these shows over the many other video releases KISS put out starting with X-Posed, and am glad to have them all basically full-length, plus there's a bonus disc with another show inside, so there's:

Complete 1975 show
Complete 1976 show
3 complete 1977 shows

Plus a bunch of other promo cuts and whatnot.

The sound quality obviously wasn't cleaned up and digitally restored, but that's fine. Great price for a lot of stuff.

Am actually looking forward to Vol.2 already. Am hoping that one contains:

Complete 1979 Dynasty show
Complete 1980 Australia show
Complete 1983 Brazil show
May as well throw KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK in there.
Any 1978 solo album promo vids.
Maybe a Creatures Of The Night US Tour show if one exists.
Have it end with the official Unmasking on MTV in 1983, by which point nobody gave a shit anymore.

indeedido
11-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Fairwrning
I picked this up at Best Buy for $19.95...I think it goes to $24.95 in a week..still damn cheap by KISS standards
I love this thing..watched the entire "Winterland" section..These guys were the shit in 1974-77..
Skipped thru bits and peices of the rest..any KISS fan should get this..great memories with all the TV gigs..
Also..Hidden footage of Ace's wedding in 1976..they are actually filmed without the makeup playing at the reception..also hidden is the "earliest" know peformance
Just highlight the "KISS" logo on the dvd menus to access..

You got yours at Best Buy, is your bonus disc messed up? I got it there today and the bonus disc doesn't have any chapters or a menu. I took it straight back and got it at wal mart with the different bonus disk. Curious if all the best buy bonus discs are this way

Vinnie Velvet
11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
I bought it yesterday.

For a KISS fan (like Terry said) who only saw snippets of some of these performances on past KISS vids (ie: Exposed, etc), it was a real treat to watch these shows in their entirety.

Although the sound left something to be desired, it added to the effect of watching old footage.

Man, the band was SMOKING on the 1975 San Fran performance. Fuck, Peter was slamming the drums like a madman, Gene was so demonic and Ace rocked!

KLASSIC KISS INDEED!

The Cadillac MI thing was very cool to see.

Apparently there are a few versions out there. I have the one with the Bonus DVD of the '77 MSG show (which is not the full show, only maybe 5 songs if I remember).

A great release for any KISS fan or fan of their early stuff.

Fairwrning
11-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by indeedido
You got yours at Best Buy, is your bonus disc messed up?

Yeah..no menu and cant skip songs..have to FF thru...
didnt bother to take it back...

Hardrock69
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I read some interview with Flip Wilson somewhere...he was asked about his "Geraldine" character....something about other people in showbiz razzing him about it. He said something like, "Naw, but Paul Lynde took alot of grief about smoking reefer with the fire-breathing Kiss guy...Chuck Riley had enough material to do stand -up."

I'll be damned....first time I ever got any confirmation of this from anywhere else....and it comes from Flip Wilson by way of Paul Lynde!!!!
:eek:

I just know what I witnessed, but had never heard a peep from anyone else about his personal intake of "other" substances.

Hardrock69
11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Ah well, I am not getting it a Best Buy then, though finally one is opening up on the West side of town.....

I will be stopping at WalMart tomorrow night to see if they have this.....

Mr. Vengeance
11-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I bought mine at Best Buy yesterday, $17.99 (Canadian $) I've only watched a bit but it's fantastic. One thing about KISS, they may milk it for all it's worth financially, but they do give their fans what they want. I haven't checked my bonus disk yet, but I'll check and see and report back.

Gotta love Gene on the Mike Douglas show!!! Fan-fucking-tastic!!!!

Hardrock69
11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
I just now finally bought this.
First-rate.

Sure the sound is not as good as it could be, but a lot of the audio was recorded straight off the board it seems.

I have a show on VHS not included here. Bet they put it on the Volume II: It is Madison Square Garden, February of 1977. Pro Shot. I have not watched it in quite awhile. But it is the full show if I remember right.

Man watching this stuff reminds me of how I felt at age 17 watching Kiss in concert, and wearing the shit out of my Kiss Alive album.
:cool:

Hardrock69
11-13-2006, 09:33 PM
My Bonus disc works fine.

Also, here is a scan of one of the photos I took of Kiss in January of 1977.

He got high just a few minutes before this photo was taken.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d38cc5c5f0.jpg

Tiki-Tom
11-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Killer DVD, Reminds me of how great they "used" to be. So sad............

Hardrock69
11-14-2006, 03:32 PM
The Budokan show is fucking kickass!!!

CROWBAR
11-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Anyone got the one with the Largo bonus disc yet? Just wondering if it's as good or better than the other two.

Fairwrning
11-14-2006, 07:09 PM
The entire Winterland set and "Hooligan" and "Shock me" are my faves right now

Hooligan was always an underreated tune

Terry
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by CROWBAR
Anyone got the one with the Largo bonus disc yet? Just wondering if it's as good or better than the other two.

I did.

It's pretty much the same as the Houston show.

Something that's cool to have if you got it, but nothing essential.

Mr. Vengeance
11-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Hardrock, my bonus disk is the MSG Feb 18, 77 show.

My bonus disk doesn't have menus either, but it does play, so I'll take it.

This set is fantastic! Watching it shows just how great a guitar player Ace is. Those solos, when he was young and completely into the band are SMOKING! That extended solo, I believe during Black Diamond, on In Concert is amazing! And you see the improvement of their playing as the years move on. By the time they get to the Budokan show, they are powerful!

I would like to know why one of my favorite KISS tunes, Rock Bottom does not make a single appearance in either disk, yet Black Diamond (another classic) is in pretty much every concert???? Surely they played Rock Bottom at Cobo Hall, considering it was on Alive, and remains a staple of the live show today.

I wonder if we get some cool outakes from Phantom of the Park in Vol II???? From what I hear Ace's and Peter's outtakes are hilarious.

Hardrock69
11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
???? Wonder why your bonus disc is the MSG show and mine is Largo?

Hmm.....strange

indeedido
11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
???? Wonder why your bonus disc is the MSG show and mine is Largo?

Hmm.....strange

Depending on where you buy it, there are three different bonus disks. This way, the KISS machine can get some to buy the set three times. Cobo night one, Largo, and MSG are the three.

CROWBAR
11-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I did.

It's pretty much the same as the Houston show.

Something that's cool to have if you got it, but nothing essential.

Thanks Terry. Just trying to decide which one to purchase. The one with Largo, Detroit, or Madison Square Garden in NYC? I know the Detroit show was recorded for Alive, but the MSG sounds good too.

Which one would you go with?

FREDERICK BLAH
11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I hate dat gene simmons!blah he stole his entire look from me and Stink-Bat!blah

Terry
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks Terry. Just trying to decide which one to purchase. The one with Largo, Detroit, or Madison Square Garden in NYC? I know the Detroit show was recorded for Alive, but the MSG sounds good too.

Which one would you go with?

Just found out that there were apparently three different bonus discs from three different shows myself, depending on where you buy it...

Hard to say. I personally wouldn't go with Largo if I had a choice, only because it was so similar to Houston...

In a way it really doesn't matter, because even without the bonus disc, I'm still more than satisfied with what they put out on the other two discs in KISSology anyway. It's kinda made Exposed and Konfidential obsolete overnight, IMO.

CROWBAR
11-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Just found out that there were apparently three different bonus discs from three different shows myself, depending on where you buy it...

Hard to say. I personally wouldn't go with Largo if I had a choice, only because it was so similar to Houston...

In a way it really doesn't matter, because even without the bonus disc, I'm still more than satisfied with what they put out on the other two discs in KISSology anyway. It's kinda made Exposed and Konfidential obsolete overnight, IMO.

Up until now, I would have said that Kiss, The Second Coming is the best. It's much better than Exposed or Konfidential to me.

Regardless of which bonus disc you choose, the dvd's all have pretty much the same shows/music i.e. Tokyo, Winterland, Detroit, Houston. It's the bonus disc that's different from the next. I eventually decided on the Madison Square Garden one. I'll get back with ya after watching it.

Can't imagine what they're gonna throw at us in volume 11. I guess something after 1977.

Hardrock69
11-16-2006, 01:38 AM
I will be able to get the other two bonus shows from the usual sources....

Terry
11-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Up until now, I would have said that Kiss, The Second Coming is the best. It's much better than Exposed or Konfidential to me.

Regardless of which bonus disc you choose, the dvd's all have pretty much the same shows/music i.e. Tokyo, Winterland, Detroit, Houston. It's the bonus disc that's different from the next. I eventually decided on the Madison Square Garden one. I'll get back with ya after watching it.

Can't imagine what they're gonna throw at us in volume 11. I guess something after 1977.

I'd imagine we'd get a Return Of KISS/Dynasty 1979 show, an Australian 1980 show and the 1983 Brazil show...maybe the Snyder interview...maybe KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK...