PDA

View Full Version : Audioslave or Velvet Revolver?

binnie
09-12-2006, 05:30 AM
Ok two modern "supergroups", both have had tons of hype, but who is the better band?

Or is this just another case of supergroups not working as is usually the case.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

binnie
09-12-2006, 05:35 AM
My vote goes to Velvet Revolver - although I find some of Weilands lyrics obtuse and just plain weird, I fuckin love their record (although it took a while to grow on me) and they are way better than most of the newer breed of rock/metal bands.

Also saw them live twice, and in many years of gigging they were up there with the best I've seen - Slash played longer and mind-blowing solo's and Weiland has incredible onstange pressence.

They also remind me of the 80's and early 90's when bands used to tour their asses off!!

I also dig Audioslave, but I don't think that they have gelled as well as a group until this third record (which is probably their strongest). I thought their second record sucked major dogs balls. And I was also underwhelmed when I saw them live.

Good band, but VR kicks their assses in this poll.

DrMaddVibe
09-12-2006, 06:47 AM
VR...Audioslave is just...boring!

Tiki-Tom
09-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Damn binnie, your making this one hard. Can I have a third choice. If so,then I pick the third one;)
I guess out of those two I'll pick Velvet,at least it won't put me to sleep.

Jahuli
09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
I just wish scott weiland would die so gunners could reform

Matt White
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
VELVET REVOLVER...

Douglas T.
09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
VR all the way! I have a very cool VR hat! :D

binnie
09-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Five nil for Slash and co!!

No hardcore Audioslave fans out there to put up a fight!

SparkieD
09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I refuse to vote because I DESPISE both of these bands. I'd like to see Soundgarden and STP reform (especially STP!) Couldn't give a fuck less about GNR. I think they used up all they had with Appetite.

binnie
09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by SparkieD
I refuse to vote because I DESPISE both of these bands. I'd like to see Soundgarden and STP reform (especially STP!) Couldn't give a fuck less about GNR. I think they used up all they had with Appetite.

Don't think anyone would argue that their original bands were far far better.

Although later STP material wasn't that strong, "Shagri...." wasn't a strong record....

SparkieD
09-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Don't think anyone would argue that their original bands were far far better.

Although later STP material wasn't that strong, "Shagri...." wasn't a strong record....

True dat. Actually, I think a lot of STP's stuff was weak, BUT the stuff that was good was fuckin' awesome!

binnie
09-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
True dat. Actually, I think a lot of STP's stuff was weak, BUT the stuff that was good was fuckin' awesome!

No disagreements from over here!

Soundgarden were untouchable though - great record after great record...

Eyes of the Night
09-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Wella, ...

I hear the AudioSlave concerts are kickass ... I've seen VR in portland ...

I pick VR because I like Slash's playing over Tom ...

Cornell belongs to SoundGarden! ...

ODShowtime
09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
VR...Audioslave is just...boring!

Agreed. I've seen them twice and the Revolver once. They kicked the shit out of Audioslave. But Audioslave covering "Working Man" was pretty cool.

Little Texan
09-13-2006, 01:22 AM
I only like a few songs from VR's album, but they beat the shit out of *yawn* boring as hell Audioslave! I thought that combination would've been alot better than it has been, but I thought wrong. VR isn't anything special, but at least their songs won't lull you to sleep!

binnie
09-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Holy Shit!!

This is the most one sided poll ever!!

binnie
09-13-2006, 04:48 AM
Apparently the next VR record is gonna have more of a groove to it.

Looking forward to it!

The_KiD
09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Definitely Velvet Revolver.. I enjoy the AudioSlave stuff and think their latest release is their best yet but Velvet Revolver just clicks with me..

KiD

Mr Grimsdale
09-13-2006, 03:49 PM
vulvet revulva

Tiki-Tom
09-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
vulvet revulva

How about, "shit sandwich"

Tiki-Tom
09-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Don't forget to pick up Audiocoma's new one - Out of No-doze

binnie
09-14-2006, 05:54 AM
The new Audioslave record is pretty decent actually....

Tiki-Tom
09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by binnie
The new Audioslave record is pretty decent actually....
As much as I would like to Binn, I'm just not feelin it with this band.
They could do so much better.
But hey,if your diggin it then thats cool too.:cool:

binnie
09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
As much as I would like to Binn, I'm just not feelin it with this band.
They could do so much better.
But hey,if your diggin it then thats cool too.:cool:

Ok Tiki, maybe it's one of those agree to disagree moments.

I also think they could do better - not saying that they are great by any means, just that I'm enjoying their records.

Seems to me they are holding back, rather than just turning the rock up to 10....

FORD
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Neurotic Outsiders were better than either of them.....

http://www.multinet.no/~jonarne/Hjemmesia/Favorittartister/duranduran/The_Neurotic_Outsiders.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQoyXlxXq2E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQoyXlxXq2E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

MAPRamone
09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Neurotic Outsiders were better than either of them.....

http://www.multinet.no/~jonarne/Hjemmesia/Favorittartister/duranduran/The_Neurotic_Outsiders.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQoyXlxXq2E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQoyXlxXq2E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Neurotic Outsiders were better than G'n'R in my opinion!

Mr. Vengeance
09-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Jahuli

Eeeeyeahhhh...because Weiland is the reason that GnR are no more...okay then.....

Audioslave sucks dead donkey dick.

SparkieD
09-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Jahuli

I wish Dean and Robert DeLeo would beat some sense into Weiland so VR would die and STP could reform!

binnie
09-15-2006, 03:41 AM
I dunno.

STP was a great band, but the last couple of records were pretty uninspired.

Maybe it ended at the right time...

RuzDNailz
09-15-2006, 03:52 AM
I miss the good old days of Soundgarden. In the midst of *nasally* 'yeeeaaahhh!', these guys gave grunge rock a better name.
Scott Weiland has a decent voice and the last 2 albums of STP were not too bad at all. STP had too many problems with SW near the end anyway so breaking up was the right thing to do. As for Soundgarden,
these guys are quite content with staying apart but after reading what Kim Thayil said about missing the old days make me wonder if a reunion is evitable.

Tiki-Tom
09-15-2006, 04:35 AM
I also think the last couple of STP records are cool. Not up to par with their older stuff but i'll take those discs over velvet any day.

Very true about Scott being a fuckup but at least the DeLeo bro's seem to give a shit about Scott's well-being. Those fuckups in velvet can hardly take care of themselves So I don't see how they can help scott get or stay clean like Slash says they do. Also, Slash would drop him in a New York minute if old Axl came calling. I really think that without the STP guys in his life we just may be reading about Scott in the obit's one day soon.
Damn sure hope I'm wrong on this one though. Hopefully his lackluster performance with velvet will be the worst of it.

ODShowtime
09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
I really think that without the STP guys in his life we just may be reading about Scott in the obit's one day soon.
Damn sure hope I'm wrong on this one though. Hopefully his lackluster performance with velvet will be the worst of it.

I have to disagree. I'm pretty sure Scott's clean now. That was the latest news awhile back.

And to say his performance with VR is lackluster is pretty harsh. The album is great and they kick ass live. It's not the devastating thunder that was STP, but it'll do.

Tiki-Tom
09-15-2006, 08:12 AM
As for Scott's being clean, well which day of the week of the year did you read this? I hope you're right but his being clean seems to have changed with the seasons for years. Junkies don't get clean overnight. If he is still clean in a couple of years I might believe he is finally "really" clean.

As for my opinion that his performance with VR is lackluster. If you can pull out any of his or Slash and Duff's other stuff, listen to them, then put on Velvet and not say it's lackluster then you are definitely hearing something I'm not.

Calling it lackluster isn't being harsh at all. Shit, I was trying to be kind knowing some people are into it. I could've said what I really think.

You like it and that's cool. I don't, and that's cool, too. I mean, I did vote for them over AS:)

SparkieD
09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
July, '06-I found this under the definition of junkie

http://vr.rated-art.com/Live/2006/060730_PasoRoblesCA/Sourgirl23/060730_PasoRoblesCA_Sourgirl23_17.jpg

binnie
09-15-2006, 08:41 AM
As a frontman onstage with VR, Weiland is anything but lacklustre!

RuzDNailz
09-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I also think the last couple of STP records are cool. Not up to par with their older stuff but i'll take those discs over velvet any day.

Very true about Scott being a fuckup but at least the DeLeo bro's seem to give a shit about Scott's well-being. Those fuckups in velvet can hardly take care of themselves So I don't see how they can help scott get or stay clean like Slash says they do. Also, Slash would drop him in a New York minute if old Axl came calling. I really think that without the STP guys in his life we just may be reading about Scott in the obit's one day soon.

What was really lackluster was Scott Weiland's solo album a few years before the STP broke up. It just simply didn't work at all. The album tanked, but luckily that's when STP released their last album which I actually enjoyed. They at least didn't go out with a dying whimper, that's for sure. Same thing with Soundgarden. Chris Cornell released that solo album and it just barely had anything decent on it except for the one song they overplayed on the radio. Plus, Chris sang in a normal way rather than his screaming vocals found in both SG and AS.

I would hope that SG will do a reunion sometime in the future because that will do very well and I would attend that. Still have SG playing on my stereo sometimes for old time's sake.

SparkieD
09-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
What was really lackluster was Scott Weiland's solo album a few years before the STP broke up. It just simply didn't work at all.
Damn man,I had forgotten all about that pile of shit and ya had to go and remind me!:mad:

As far as a SG reunion, that would be killer but I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. I guess stranger things have happened though.

binnie
09-18-2006, 03:59 AM
There's supposed to be another Weiland solo record on the way....

Panamark
09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
VR,

Anyone pickup on the name "Velvet Revolver"
and how similar it is to Guns and Roses.

Velvet is a flower, Revolver is a gun.

I wonder if this was a deliberate dig at Axehole ?

Audioslave is boring to me....