PDA

View Full Version : Fair Warning LP just arrived in the mail!

rothdaddy
09-15-2006, 12:09 PM
I won an auction on Ebay for a Fair Warning LP. I opened up the package and was blown away by the artwork. I have the CD of Fair Warning, but to see the artwork on an actual album cover is fucking killer. The Queen-esque photo on the back of the album gave me a good chuckle. Anyway I placed the album on my parents stereo and cranked up the audio...what no movement? no sound? the fucking motor is dead. So I went to a storage closet and pulled out my Fisher-Price record player, which basically looks like a word processor from the outside. I am 24 years old, so this player has to be at least 20 years old. will it work? will my heart be broken twice in almost the same instant? I plugged in the record player, placed Fair Warning on the player and turned it on. record begins to spin. Mean Streets guitar intro kicks in. Wish I had a joint and bottle of jack!

Vinnie Velvet
09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by rothdaddy
I won an auction on Ebay for a Fair Warning LP. I opened up the package and was blown away by the artwork. I have the CD of Fair Warning, but to see the artwork on an actual album cover is fucking killer. The Queen-esque photo on the back of the album gave me a good chuckle. Anyway I placed the album on my parents stereo and cranked up the audio...what no movement? no sound? the fucking motor is dead. So I went to a storage closet and pulled out my Fisher-Price record player, which basically looks like a word processor from the outside. I am 24 years old, so this player has to be at least 20 years old. will it work? will my heart be broken twice in almost the same instant? I plugged in the record player, placed Fair Warning on the player and turned it on. record begins to spin. Mean Streets guitar intro kicks in. Wish I had a joint and bottle of jack!

Cool!

There's nothing like listening to Classic VH on LP.
Ive got VHII, WACF, and 1984 on record.

Cato
09-15-2006, 06:33 PM
vinyls are kewl. I like their warm sound and those large artworks.
they make me proud that I'm a music fan....

Coyote
09-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Cato

True dat.

Cato
09-15-2006, 06:39 PM
the Warner Bros. released the remastered first 6 albums of VH a few years ago and those were grate.

next they should do it on vinyls too. I' sure the remastered VH LP's will sound much better!

Cato
09-17-2006, 04:50 AM
the Warner Bros. released the remastered first 6 albums of VH a few years ago and those were grate.

next they should do it on vinyls too.
yeah Cato, I totally agree with you.

EbDawson
09-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by rothdaddy
I won an auction on Ebay for a Fair Warning LP.

What did you pay for it, just out of curiousity? I think I still have all six LP's in storage, haven't looked at 'em in years.

binnie
09-18-2006, 03:51 AM

My sentiments entirely.

I like to here the crackle in between the songs - makes the albums feel more alive...

rothdaddy
09-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Yo Eb,

I paid $11.50 with shipping!

Romeo Delight
09-18-2006, 10:24 PM

next they should do it on vinyls too. I' sure the remastered VH LP's will sound much better!

I still swear that as long as you have a needle that costs at least $1000, nothing sounds better.

The difference between a regular $100 or $50 needle and the expensive ones is remarkable.

Terry
09-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Saw a Fair Warning LP at the local cd/dvd/vhs/cassette/vinyl exchange place down here for about $5. One of the shopkeepers took the album out so I could check it out; not a scratch on it. Should have picked it up, but all I have is an old turntable/dual cassette combo with an old needle far as playing records goes...when I finally thought the better of it and went back a week later, it was gone.

Shit, I bought all those CVH albums on vinyl the first time around, then cassette, and it wasn't until about 2000 or so that I upgraded them all onto CD.

I love the way vinyl sounded.

I will scoop up a copy of the soundtrack to DeathWish 2 on vinyl if I ever find it, though. On the fucking spot. Would pay maybe $30 for a scratchless LP of that.

sethfle
09-19-2006, 07:40 AM
If anyone sees the DCC Half Speed Mastered vinyl copy of Van Halen I, definitely pick it up. It was $30.00 when I bought it 5 or 6 years ago, and was worth every penny. It's on 180 gram (I think) vinyl, and sounds fucking great. The CDs are shit in comparison with this.

ace diamond
09-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Cool!

There's nothing like listening to Classic VH on LP.
Ive got VHII, WACF, and 1984 on record.

I STILL HAVE THE WHOLE CVH 6 PACK ON VINYL FROM WHEN I FIRST GOT THEM ALL BACK IN THE LATE 70'S AND EARLY 80'S.

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY CVH!!!

The_KiD
09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Nice... Vinyl really is the best way to listen to classic VH... I used to have a fairly nice turntable just for older albums and really enoyed them much better than CDs..

Cheers,

KiD

Loons The Great
09-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Spin the black circle!!!

Nothin' but yeah!!!

Ize likes 'em ol' records nah yez yez YEZZAHH!!!!!!

danielc
10-23-2006, 09:44 AM
When something is remastered do any of u know exactly what that means? Can they turn up the bass, for example? I've always wondered about that.

chi-town324
04-22-2007, 10:37 AM
lets see i have owned CVH on 8 track, vinyl,cassette, CD...i remember the summer of 81 cranking up FW on the turntable...

jharp84
04-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ace diamond
I STILL HAVE THE WHOLE CVH 6 PACK ON VINYL FROM WHEN I FIRST GOT THEM ALL BACK IN THE LATE 70'S AND EARLY 80'S.

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY CVH!!!

Same here! I remember the fucking day I bought Women and Children First on vinyl and the Night In a cold Jan. Snow in Chicago, after I shoveled, walked couple blocks to the local music store and bought 1984 on vinyl, was blown away!!!!