PDA

View Full Version : A Laughable Press Conference With Bush In The Oval Office

blueturk
09-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Cal Thomas brings us words of wisdom from Dubya, and evidently takes him seriously. How in the fuck the sheep can stand behind this guy is beyond me. "Too many TV channels"? God help us all!

President sticks to his strategy
Bush predicts long fight with terror but GOP victories in November
CAL THOMAS

Tribune Media Services
Had it been a small group of liberals rather than conservative writers meeting with President Bush in the Oval Office on Tuesday, they might have run from the room like scalded dogs when he said: "I've never been more convinced that the decisions I've made are the right decisions." The president volunteered he knows people consider him stubborn and responds to such criticism with, "If you believe in a strategy ... you have to stick to that strategy."

Is this ignoring "facts" that things don't appear to be going swimmingly in Iraq? No, said the president. He believes the struggle will be a long one with "Islamo-radicalism." He said, "The politics of Iraq are going to just take a while to settle out." He acknowledged with hindsight "we probably could have trained people ... quicker," by which he apparently meant Iraqi troops, but "ideological struggles take time. We live in a world in which there should be, there needs to be, instant success ... things must happen rapidly." He said he thinks this comes from "too many TV channels" where even the most difficult situations are resolved in an hour or less.

Other points the president made regarding the Middle East:

• "Fifty years from now, it is conceivable that there will be virulent forms of Islamo-radicalism competing. ... It is conceivable that a Middle East where young democracies have been undermined could be dominated by state sponsors of terror with nuclear weapons."

• "The long-term strategy is to change the conditions that enable this ideology to flourish, to out-compete it with better ideas."

• He hopes to leave to his successors "foundations" for fighting terrorism and interrogating suspects that will allow future presidents to successfully wage the battle.

• About whether more troops are needed in Iraq: "If (Commanding) Gen. (George) Casey feels like he needs more troops, we'll send them."

The president pledged to "try all diplomatic means" in dealing with Iran.

I asked him if he thinks Democrats will win a majority in Congress in the November election. "I don't believe they'll win it," he said, "because I believe that these elections will come down to two things: one, firm belief that in order to win the war on terror there must be a comprehensive strategy that recognizes this war is being fought on more than one front; and two, the economy." He did lament that some Republican candidates think they can win by distancing themselves from his policies. He implied such a strategy might turn off the GOP base. The president said 12 to 15 races would decide who runs the next Congress.

That view was endorsed by a top White House strategist, who forecasts a post-election spread of 52-48 or 53-47 in the Senate, with Republicans maintaining their majority, and a loss of eight to 12 seats in the House, but with the GOP still in charge. With the president's approval numbers slowly rising to the mid-40s, all Republicans need is a couple more points to be OK, he said.

The strategist, who spoke off the record, predicted Hillary Clinton will get the Democratic nomination in 2008 and will run against a very good Republican.

The president suggested he wants to again take on Social Security and Medicare reform, earmark reform and the line-item veto as his domestic priorities after the election. If he's right in his election forecast, he might be able to. If not, he'll be taking on investigations and possibly impeachment resolutions by mostly liberal congressional committee chairs. A lot is riding on the outcome.

Cal

Thomas

Nitro Express
09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Driving that train high on cocaine....trouble ahead trouble behind....

blueturk
09-16-2006, 09:23 AM
"He hopes to leave to his successors "foundations" for fighting terrorism and interrogating suspects that will allow future presidents to successfully wage the battle."

Translation: "I started it, but it's not gonna be MY problem."