PDA

View Full Version : Rhino's EEAS (and Skyscraper?) remaster



Jérôme Frenchise
09-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I remember reading about a supposed remastering of EEAS by Rhino - what a kickass record company, BTW - and maybe even "Skyscraper" as well.
As it's been much discussed here already, both albums NEED remastering. I've listened to both again in my car this week, and I had to turn up the volume a damn lot, which I had known for years and years, but still can't get used to.
Proper CD mastering would serve both records, and I'm sure "Skyscraper" would come out as it should always have.

Anybody got update or confirmation about it? :cool:

thome
09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
I heard Dave and Rhino are not on good terms since the late 90's?

Am I correct here .?

I would love a Box set of Roth Solo or any digital remastering of Roth's work.

Ps. I dig all of Roth's Solo work most of it is better than most of Roth VH and certainly better that any VH incarnation offshoot or solo work.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Skyscraper will still sound like the piece of shit 80s pop production values as always. Those fucking synths are unfucking forgivable. Give me ALAE or YFLM any day of the week.

And EEAS still sounds shit hot.

thome
09-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Dear Asshole ,

If you don't like Skyuscraper so be it but you also may not get it.
As in WTHF about it don't you like.

TRACKS Audio
1. Knucklebones (Bissonette/Bissonette/Roth) 3:18-- Excellent Groove

2. Just Like Paradise (Roth/Tuggle) 4:03 -- History making
3. The Bottom Line (Roth/Vai) 3:37--------- Snappy Dresser
4. Skyscraper (Roth/Vai) 3:38 ---------------The Sh!t
5. Damn Good (Roth/Vai) 5:49---------------You Know It's Hot
6. Hot Dog and a Shake (Roth/Vai) 3:19 ---Women need this
7. Stand Up (Roth/Tuggle) 4:39-------------You Love it andYouKnowit
8. Hina (Roth/Vai) 4:40----------------------Sing one for Love
9. Perfect Timing (Roth/Tuggle) 3:41 -----Scruples in the downbeat
10. Two Fools a Minute (Roth/Vai) --------- The 80's personified

FORD
09-16-2006, 05:42 PM
If they're going to remaster Skyscraper, they need the active involvement of Billy Sheehan, who has said before that he has the original master tapes of the album before it was overproduced with all the keyboards and shit.

Skyscraper was my least favorite of all the DLR albums, so I doubt I would buy it again, unless there was a significant change in the sound quality.

Also, Rhino reissues have bonus tracks whenever possible. For an EEAS remaster, the choice is obvious. You could probably fit both the original album and "Sonrisa Salvaje" all on one CD.

Wonder what the bonus tracks would be on the "Skyscraper" disc?

ThrillsNSpills
09-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by FORD
If they're going to remaster Skyscraper, they need the active involvement of Billy Sheehan, who has said before that he has the original master tapes of the album before it was overproduced with all the keyboards and shit.


That's what we need !
The Skyscraper demos in raw form would have more of an EEAS vibe and attitude.
No echo effects on the vocals, no synths, just lose the 80's polish and serve up the raw hard rock.

trueblue
09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
I actually think EEAS, or at least the version I've owned all these years, is just fantastic as it is. The sound, to my ears at least, is suitably raw and very powerful...I'd hate to see a good thing like this risk being ruined by needless tinkering...Why go 'fix' something that ain't 'broken'...However, if somebody could guarantee that a little smart touch-up job would definitely make EEAS even hotter and meaner, then who am I to complain.??..

'Skyscraper' to my mind, definitely needs some revamping...I know nothing can redeem the sickening synths' sound overkill on the record...But for heaven's sake, I'd love a bit more zip and oomph to the overall muddy, muted sound that exists on the record at the moment....The songs are platinum pop-rock and they deserve a lot better treatment at the studio and mixing rooms...

ThrillsNSpills
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I emailed Billy Sheehan about the Skyscraper demos.
I don't need to hear remastered synths.
If I get a response I'll post about it.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by trueblue
I actually think EEAS, or at least the version I've owned all these years, is just fantastic as it is. The sound, to my ears at least, is suitably raw and very powerful...I'd hate to see a good thing like this risk being ruined by needless tinkering...Why go 'fix' something that ain't 'broken'...However, if somebody could guarantee that a little smart touch-up job would definitely make EEAS even hotter and meaner, then who am I to complain.??..

'Skyscraper' to my mind, definitely needs some revamping...I know nothing can redeem the sickening synths' sound overkill on the record...But for heaven's sake, I'd love a bit more zip and oomph to the overall muddy, muted sound that exists on the record at the moment....The songs are platinum pop-rock and they deserve a lot better treatment at the studio and mixing rooms...

I agree on all points, safe that the CD mastering of EEAS sounds weak.
Just try to play ALAE before or after it, and you'll hear a difference in volume, won't you? :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
09-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
I emailed Billy Sheehan about the Skyscraper demos.
I don't need to hear remastered synths.
If I get a response I'll post about it.

Now you rock, Thrills! Cheers!! :bottle:

ThrillsNSpills
09-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Now you rock, Thrills! Cheers!! :bottle:

Well thanks but if I come up with some tape, then I will rock, and what are the chances of that?

But at least I know that Billy would understand that we prefer raw rock over the 80's polished dance crap.
Figuring most of the seeds of the songs came from Vai (save the Tuggle tracks for Madonna fans)
we may have half a shot here since BS tours with Vai and makes projects on his label Favored Nations.
It's worth a shot.

ThrillsNSpills
09-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Dear Thrills

I'll just ship that shit right on over to you. Right after I feed the cat.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Dear Thrills

I'll just ship that shit right on over to you. Right after I feed the cat.

Did he actually reply to you?

And if he did and will really send you The Thing, then how kickass! Holy Shit!

ThrillsNSpills
09-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Did he actually reply to you?

And if he did and will really send you The Thing, then how kickass! Holy Shit!


No, I was joking there but I did email him and he said he tries to reply to all of them, but I'm not holding out hopes that he'll send me the demos.
You'll know if he mails back, don't worry.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
No, I was joking there but I did email him and he said he tries to reply to all of them, but I'm not holding out hopes that he'll send me the demos.
You'll know if he mails back, don't worry.


All right... :cool:
This was clear, though:



Right after I feed the cat.

Anyway your e-mailing him is a damn good move: you can get nothing unless you try.

I'm rather pessimistic as well, because giving those tapes to somebody would mean a bunch of bootlegs circulating in no time.
I wouldn't mind of course, but Dave, Vai, Sheehan and Greg Bissonette probably wouldn't dig it. :cool:

warrior33
10-16-2006, 06:49 AM
remastering all the david lee roth solo albums with demos now that wood be real kick ass!!! i wish all the van halen albums the roth years had demos on thoes cds!!!

ELVIS
10-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Hmmm...

Casemeister
10-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Just because an album isn't mastered loud doesn't mean it's not mastered WELL.

Louder isn't better. Usually, to make a CD sound loud, they compress it. That reduces its dynamic range. What is the point of "squashing" a recording so that you can't take full advantage of the format they're being delivered on?

A good mastering engineer could make these albums sound a bit better, but they have an '80s sheen that will always be there.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Casemeister
Just because an album isn't mastered loud doesn't mean it's not mastered WELL.

Louder isn't better. Usually, to make a CD sound loud, they compress it. That reduces its dynamic range. What is the point of "squashing" a recording so that you can't take full advantage of the format they're being delivered on?

A good mastering engineer could make these albums sound a bit better, but they have an '80s sheen that will always be there.

I see what you mean, as you made it really clear.
But it's still quite disappointing when you've just listened to any album from the 6-pack, and then fancy playing EEAS or "Skyscraper", and have to turn the volume seriously up... OK, it's not that big an effort (I mean, turning up the knob), but then I always tell myself, "well, there's something missing here".
That said, I understand your point. :cool:

The new guitar player in my band is a professional musician in a band that's released their second album a few months ago (it's French swing, but we play blues and rock 'n' roll).
After our last gig, he complained about the mastering of the record, which was obviously a bit weaker than the rest that the DJ played after our concert. He played a couple of songs, and every time it came up after and before stuff that sounded louder (the DJ had to turn the volume level up a little every time.
And that really pisses him, as the guy who recorded his other band in Geneva has got the rights on the mastering. So, unless they suddenly sell hundreds of thousands and can afford paying the guy to get the rights back, the record, which is really beautiful, will always remain that way, and the pleasure of those who made it will always be tarnished. :cool:

Well, anyway, who owns the rights for both EEAS and "Skyscraper", by the way?