PDA

View Full Version : What would Barry Goldwater think of today's Republican party?

FORD
09-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Goldwater Today
CC Goldwater on what her grandfather would make of today’s GOP.
WEB-EXCLUSIVE COMMENTARY
By CC Goldwater
Special to Newsweek

Updated: 11:03 a.m. MT Sept 16, 2006

Sept. 16, 2006 - As the granddaughter of Barry Goldwater, I am often asked what I think my grandfather would have felt about the direction of today’s Republican Party. What I found in the past year I spent making a documentary about the man, “Mr. Conservative: Goldwater on Goldwater,” is that my grandfather is one person for whom it is pretty hard to speak. He was vocal about his opinions, which he presented with a rare clarity.

Still, those opinions have echoes today, and as the documentary shows, while my grandfather didn’t leave his party, his party has left him. Though he’s often depicted as the father of conservatism, Barry Goldwater would be considered a moderate today. He was firmly pro-choice, a supporter of gay rights and, in his later years, said that he thought it was okay for gays to serve in the military.

Fundamentally, it’s clear that Barry would not have been comfortable with the increasing influence of the Christian right over the GOP. My grandfather would have been appalled by the whole political grandstanding of the Terri Schiavo mess.

The Constitution was Barry’s bible. He felt strongly about what it represented and the guidance it gave to establishing our government. And he thought that most U.S. citizens took it for granted. “Most Americans have never even read it and that’s a shame,” he once said. “Kids are not learning about it because it’s not honored the way it used to be.”

We need to remember the true values and freedoms the Constitution guarantees us. The main lesson I learned from my grandfather: “Government needs to stay out of personal lives, and do the job that we entrusted them with—to run and govern our country efficiently and truthfully, according to the laws our forefathers crafted.” That’s a message worth remembering today.

Throughout my life, I was encouraged to be honest and truthful to all those I came in contact with. We need to encourage our youth to do the same. That begins with the people we look up to, our parents and government. We have to have something that we can trust and believe in and not fear. “Trust and fear cannot coexist at the same time,” Barry said. Anyone who motivates our decisions by fear cannot restore the principles of a country founded in freedom. “I will support whoever is running our country as long as they abide by those principles and will run our country and not our lives.”

CC Goldwater was five when her grandfather, Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, ran for President in 1964. Her documentary, “Mr. Conservative,” features interviews with major public figures and never-before-seen home movies and photos. It premieres Monday, Sept. 18 at 9 p.m., ET, on HBO.
© 2006 Newsweek, Inc.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14863898/site/newsweek/page/2/)

DrMaddVibe
09-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Barry himself couldn't win an election right now if he was to run!

Shame, he didn't get the chance.

Nickdfresh
09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
LMFAO!! Says the guy who embodies everything Goldwater would hate about the current RepubliNEOCON Party.

Priceless!:D

DrMaddVibe
09-18-2006, 11:18 AM
If you knew what the word "neo-con" meant...you wouldn't use it.

You like to think I'm lock step with Bush...I'm not! The Dems have no plan. There's no way I could vote for tax and spend liberal giveaway programs.

Keep up the hard work modding this dump!

Nickdfresh
09-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

LOL Okay Ms."commie-lib."

Talk about not knowing about the political semantics!! Why don't I know what "neo-con" means? Because Lucky Wilbury posted an inane, nihilist article that said so? Um, no, it's a generally agreed upon term that is used in academia and by political columnists such as Pat Buchanan. It's a clearly defined ideological slant.

You like to think I'm lock step with Bush...I'm not! The Dems have no plan. There's no way I could vote for tax and spend liberal giveaway programs.

It's your clear hatred of all things "DemocRAT" and inability to go beyond the mindless bumper-sticker slogans derived from assholes like Karl Rove in order to specifically squash rational discussion and debate. Something Goldwater would have hated. Read Ford's posts of John Dean's essays, and get back to me.

And LMFAO!!:D@"liberal giveaway programs!!!!:D:p

Buddy, you voted for the biggest bigger-gov't entitler candidate in history in Bush(league). Get back to me when you figure the meaning of "incongruous," bigger-gov't, and tax and spend. He cut taxes minimally for the middle class so he could justify corporate welfare and policies designed to benefit only the rich.

Keep up the hard work modding this dump!

Oh, okay, I will! I just hope I get to Mod the Dump one of these days.

Keep up the good work at being an uneducated partisan sycophant whose main association of the word "conservative" means being a knee-jerk, macho fool.:)

FORD
09-18-2006, 11:56 AM

Don't tell me you buy that Likudist claptrap propaganda that "neocon" = "Jew"??

Certainly some of the neocons ARE Jewish. The dual citizen PNAC'ers, for example. But Chimp's a Methodist. Poppy's an Episcopalian. Fat Tony Scalia is an Opus Dei Catholic. Shit Romney is a Mormon, and Rummy & Cheney drink the blood of goats while chanting to Satan. (Just a few examples) It's not exclusive to any one religion, and certainly not applicable to the majority of American Jews, who are one of the most consistently Liberal voting constituencies in the country.

Nitro Express
09-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Both parties suck right now. If you think the Democrats aren't bought with corporate money and it's just the Republicans that do so then you are mistaken. Voting nowadays sucks, It's like trying to decide which ulgy girl to take out and in the end you feel like saying fuck it, I'll just bag voting.

I think we are dying a slow death because of complacentcy. The young people who are voting age don't vote and most have no idea what is in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. People are too adicted to federal govt. handouts.

One problem is the states are losing their power because they are too addicted to federal grants. It was intended that the states would have more power than the federal govt. Now the states are puppets to the feds.

As far as the gay issue goes or any other issue goes, we need to go back to the Constitution. Not every community is going to welcome gay rights. Good luck getting them in Utah. But some communities will. In the old days the debate was over slavery. The Continental Congress gave states a lot of power because some were slave states and others weren't. They left the issue up to the individual states to deal with. Even with that hotly contested issue, they still could form the Republic of the United States. Sure it blew up later but it wasn't slavery that caused the civil war, Fort Sumpter was a tax revolt and Lincoln invaded the south which sparked a powder keg.

Right now there is a split in the country over religiouse ideals. The only way to keep the union intact is to give the states the power to decide themselves what their laws are going to be. We are too diverse to live the same way. Maybe there should be gay marriage in San Francisco and maybe the conservatives should ban it in Utah or other conservative states. What I don't get is if homosexuality ruins society, then the states that practice it will be ruined. Why worry when you can live in a non-gay state?

We are trying to run the whole country from Washington and shove the same law down everyones throats. The founding fathers never wanted it that way. Washington has become way too powerful.

FORD
09-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Horseshit. Equal rights for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion or whatever. That's in the Constitution, and specifically the 14th ammendment, which guarantees equal protection under the law. Legally, the states should not be allowed to stand in the way of gay marriage. What churches do is their own business, but they don't write the laws.

If the Mormons, Catholics, or the Southern Baptists don't like that, they can go to Hell. Or Iraq.

Nickdfresh
09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Certainly some of the neocons ARE Jewish. The dual citizen PNAC'ers, for example. But Chimp's a Methodist. Poppy's an Episcopalian. Fat Tony Scalia is an Opus Dei Catholic. Shit Romney is a Mormon, and Rummy & Cheney drink the blood of goats while chanting to Satan. (Just a few examples) It's not exclusive to any one religion, and certainly not applicable to the majority of American Jews, who are one of the most consistently Liberal voting constituencies in the country.

I didn't know Donald Rumsfled and George Bush were Jewish.

Actually, "Liberal Intellectual" is often taken to mean "Jew."

Nitro Express
09-18-2006, 02:54 PM
I see your point but it's never been that way in reality. The US Constitution on paper defended the rights of everyone but yet there was human slavery in certain parts of the United States. It took almost a century of time and a big civil war to put an end to slavery and another century of time for black people to enjoy civil rights. Before that is was "Go to the back of the bus Boy!"

It took 200 years and a big ass civil war for blacks to get any kind of equal footing in the US; even though, the Constitution on paper already gave it to them.

Gay rights is a radicle idea to many. Sure, they might have the rights on paper and that is why I say we must always go back to the Constitution. States rights play an importance because certain states granted blacks better rights than others and in time the rest of the country followed.

So, the more pro-gay states will accept gay marriage before lets say South Carolina or Utah will. If the Federal Govt. tries to shove it down the throat of the parts of the country not ready for it, it gets nasty. Real nasty.

If the cause is worthy, in time the system works going through the state govts. to where is becomes universal. It's a slooooooow process.

FORD
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Actually, "Liberal Intellectual" is often taken to mean "Jew."

Well, Oy Vey I guess I better cancel that Ham & Swiss sandwich I ordered for lunch then :(

Nitro Express
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Shit, the term is Jew is relative even in Israel. I knew the Torah better than a lot of Jews over there and I'm not even Jewish. I once caught a Jewish friend eating ham and eggs at Denney's. I of course gave him shit and he responded,"Have you know this ham came from a circumcised pig!"

Interesting, I once went to a college party full of Iranian exchanged students and Mormons plowed off their ass on alcohol. The Iranians were there because they were of legal age to buy the booze. No shit. They all were nuclear engineering majors too! LOL! The motive. To chase young blonde American female ass.

I don't buy anyones religiouse values because they all are lying sacks of shit. We all want ass and money.

Nitro Express
09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Of course you distil is all down and you have Opus Dei, Al Quaida, and Bohemian Grove. LOL! Little groups of control freak fucksters you want caos so they can exploit it. It never changes or goes away.

Most people claim a faith to keep grandma happy or so daddy doesn't cut off the money. Very true. Or in Saudi Arabia, so you keep your head. On the extreme we have the monks and missionaries. Distill them down and you have sick twisted fucks who want to be the next evil emporer.

DrMaddVibe
09-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by FORD

WTF, are you high? Do you even bother to read what you write? Jewish, Catholic, Mormon, who the hell really cares? You?!!?...Why? So you can make fun of their beliefs? I don't care what their belief system in God is. Can they govern? Can they pass legislation?

Your "ABC" bullshit is affecting any rational arguement you're trying to make. You always have some acronym to blame, and it always deflects from personal responsibility or the will of the People.

LoungeMachine
09-18-2006, 06:33 PM
"Today's Republican Party" has little whatsoever to do with any "traditional" Republican Party of the past.

They've been taken over by religious zealots and war profiteers.

And we all know what Neo-Con refers to ASSPipe, so fucking give it up.

It makes just as much sense as your pitiful LIB tag...

LoungeMachine
09-18-2006, 06:35 PM

You always have some acronym to blame, and it always deflects from personal responsibility or the will of the People.

LMMFAO

Oh, the irony :D :D :D

Can you even take a step back for a moment and see for yourself how hypocriticial this statement is?

I doubt it.

DrMaddVibe
09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Can you even take a step back for a moment and see for yourself how hypocriticial this statement is?

I doubt it.

Which fictional organization am I constantly blaming for the ills of American society?

NONE!

Which acronyms am I using in 99.999% of my posts?

NONE!

Hypocritical is your stance right here, on your statement.

Keep up the fantastic work riding this place to the cellar! You and nicker00 are doing a great job of fucking this site up.:cool:

Nickdfresh
09-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Which fictional organization am I constantly blaming for the ills of American society?

NONE!

The "DemocRATs" jerkoff...

Which acronyms am I using in 99.999% of my posts?

NONE!

Hypocritical is your stance right here, on your statement.

Keep up the fantastic work riding this place to the cellar! You and nicker00 are doing a great job of fucking this site up.:cool:

Yeah, we're fucking this site up so much that you're on it morning, noon, and night...

LoungeMachine
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM

Hands down, funniest fucking thing I've ever read in here.

:lol:

Thank God you and Bo Bice are here to save Rock and Roll !!!!

:D :D :D

DrMaddVibe
09-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Hands down, funniest fucking thing I've ever read in here.

No way, one of the funniest things ever posted here is you claiming to be a rockstar!

That shit is PRICELESS!!!!!