PDA

View Full Version : Zakk or Dimebag?

binnie
09-19-2006, 03:58 AM
This follows a debate in the pub last night, where nothing was really settled.

These two are probably the greatest modern metal guitar players (Last 15-20 years I;m thinking), but who takes the biscuit?

For me, Dimebag was the better riff writer and rythm player, all the new wave of metal bands rip off his riffs. However, sometimes I felt that his solo's could be a little directionless, there aren't that many of his solo's that I find memorable.

So I went with Zakk: not only is he prolific, solid and writer of some staggering solos, he is more varied in his playing than Dimebag (although perhaps we didn't get to see all of Dime's talents?); Zakk can play acoustically beautifully, he can play full on metal and he can play Southern-fried rock with the best of them.

Having seen both of them live, I would also say that Zakk had a slight edge.

Now I am not a guitar player, so I aren't qualified to say who is the better technician, just going off my ears.

However, the opinions of guitatr players would be most appreciated.

Mr Badguy
09-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by binnie
This follows a debate in the pub last night, where nothing was really settled.

With whom?

Given that Zakk Wylde is one of the most tastless (although technically good) players ever, I would vote against him no matter who it was.

I don`t think the two are so close that you could compare them.

Dimebag, although a good player, has suddenly turned into some kind of legend due to the fact that he`s dead.

The Coverdale/Gillan thread had some logic, this one doesn`t.

Cato
09-19-2006, 06:32 AM
I heard that the gratest moderator in this forum Mr Badguy is sick of this kind of thread. especially yours.

Mr Badguy
09-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Cato
I heard that the gratest moderator in this forum Mr Badguy is sick of this kind of thread. especially yours.

You bet your ass.

We`ve had them all in here:

Iron Maiden or Judas Priest
Metallica or Megadeth
Van Halen or Van Hagar
Etc.

It`s almost as lazy as the "Desert island discs" threads that appear once a month.

Why do you have to pick one or the other?

Why compare two totally different things?

Cato
09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
You bet your ass.

what do you mean? I'm not familiar with the Glasgow dialect.

Mr Badguy
09-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Cato
what do you mean? I'm not familiar with the Glasgow dialect.

Don`t give me that.

You`ve bet your ass plently of times.

And lost.

MAPRamone
09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Dimebag by a mile for me. although i agree that threads like this should cease at least for a while.

Cato
09-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Don`t give me that.

You`ve bet your ass plently of times.

And lost.
:confused:

Oi sabu chan, can you tell your thoughts on these boring threads that are always started by less than average bastards, once again?

Tiki-Tom
09-19-2006, 07:47 AM
You bet your ass.

We`ve had them all in here

It`s almost as lazy as the "Desert island discs" threads that appear once a month.

Zakk or Dime are two totally different things huh? Two metal guitarists:confused: Didnt see that one coming.......
Why compare guitar players? Seems that most people here debate opinions on music on a daily basis,vote or not.

Tiki-Tom
09-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Dime gets my vote. As for leads, both are/were good but nothing that special. Dime had some amazing rhythm playing going on and that accounts for much more than lead time in a song, for me anyway. Take an average song with killer solos you still have nothing more than an average song.

Mr Badguy
09-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Zakk or Dime are two totally different things huh? Two metal guitarists:confused: Didnt see that one coming.......
Why compare guitar players? Seems that most people here debate opinions on music on a daily basis,vote or not.

Yes, both are metal guitarists but other than that totally unrelated.

One made it on his qown merits, the other lucky enough to be plucked from obscurity to, at the time, the hottest hired guitarist job in the business.

I don`t see the similarity in styles so I don`t see how you can compare and therefore seperate them.

Ice cream and steak are both types of food but you can`t really compare them.

Matt White
09-19-2006, 08:30 AM
DIME

though this type of debate is pointless................and tired

http://www.metal-zone.it/rip/immagini/dimebag.jpg

I think DIME changed the face of metal in the 90's...bringing in a hardcore element to mainstream metal....

HIs pre-Cowboys work showed a HEAVY Edward Van Halen influence...he was a masterful soloist....

1983.....Pantera - Magic Metal
1984.....Pantera - Projects In The Jungle
1985.....Pantera - I Am The Night
1988.....Pantera - Power Metal
1990.....Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
1992.....Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
1994.....Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
1996.....Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
1997.....Pantera - Official Live: 101 Proof
2000.....Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
2003.....Pantera - Far Beyond The Great Southern Cowboy Vulgar
2004.....Damageplan - New Found Power

Tiki-Tom
09-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Yes, both are metal guitarists but other than that totally unrelated.
Ice cream and steak are both types of food but you can`t really compare them.

That logic would be okay if you were comparing Zakk to say, B.B. King. Both are guitarists, but that's about the end of any similarity between the two.

Now, ice cream to cake would have been a better analogy. Both are dessert. Most people have a preference.

Coyote
09-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Zakk Or Dime?

I say Michael Schenker.

Mr Badguy
09-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
That logic would be okay if you were comparing Zakk to say, B.B. King. Both are guitarists, but that's about the end of any similarity between the two.

Where is the similarity between Zakk and Dime apart from the fact they both played on Heavy Metal records?

It`s like comparing Glenn Tipton and Dave Murray or Chris DeGarmo and John Sykes.

Yes, there is a debate there but not one that could end up with a definitive answer as they have very different attributes.

(Although Zakk is currently getting hammered because he sucks)

binnie
09-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Mr Badguy, I am sorry that my poll taking has annoyed you.

My intention was not to get a definitive answer - how can you when music is so subjective? - but rather to see who people preffered and why: perhaps I should have explained that more clearly.

I will not set up any threads like this in the future!

On a separate note - I can't believe that Zakk is taking this much of a hammering.

m_dixon1984
09-19-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm going to give Zakk a vote but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I've never been a Pantera fan but plan on getting a few CDs (I can't give Dime any credit right now because I can't remember ever really hearing him play). I may find I like Dime better, you never know.

Binnie, fuck the assholes who don't like your threads (ok, not literally). If they don't like them, they don't have to open them. And as moderators if they really didn't like them they'd lock them. They're just bored and your threads give them something to bitch about.

M

SparkieD
09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
(Although Zakk is currently getting hammered because he sucks)

Well, getting hammered is what Zakk does best...but I see your point.

Why is it that Zakk has achieved this God-like status? I just don't get it. Used to really like the guy, but he's so fucking redundant that I get pissed every time I hear a pinch harmonic-even if it ain't even him playing it. His mis-use and over-use of that technique has become his trademark. That and his legendary drunkeness.

Can't say enough good things about Dime...even if he was a drunk, too.

Tiki-Tom
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Binnie, look at it this way. If your thread gets people talking then it's worth something so don't sweat it . When I see a thread that holds no interest or I have no opinion about I simply don't post on it. If no one was interested in what your thread is about it would crash and burn soon enough(A web form of natural selection if you will). You asked an opinion and that's not a bad thing. Keep on keepin it real Binnie.:cool:

The_KiD
09-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Definitely Dimebag.. Zakk is just an asshole.. I would probably even vote for Jack Black over Zakk Wylde...LOL.. I know he can play but I just don't like the guy..

KiD

Mr Badguy
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
The mod says "Suck my ass".

:D

mako_kimura
09-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I know for a fact, any kid around my age is gonna find this so damn hard it's scary. Personally, I voted Zakk cause Dime sometimes gets WAY too much credit for stuff.

Mr Badguy
09-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I will not set up any threads like this in the future!

That was not my intention.

These kind of threads are fine when it`s something related like Coverdale and Gillan but if people start with something like, for example, Jimmy Page or Randy Rhoads, before you know it everyone is starting crazy threads.

However, Tiki Tom is right when he says that if it gets people talking then it must be worth it so what the hell do I know?

:rockit2:

binnie
09-20-2006, 04:02 AM
That was not my intention.

These kind of threads are fine when it`s something related like Coverdale and Gillan but if people start with something like, for example, Jimmy Page or Randy Rhoads, before you know it everyone is starting crazy threads.

However, Tiki Tom is right when he says that if it gets people talking then it must be worth it so what the hell do I know?

:rockit2:

Ok, I see your point. It wasn't my intention to descend into endless poll taking (although I realise I almost have done)

Thanks for letting me know where I stand!

Wawazat
09-20-2006, 04:15 AM
The mod says "Suck my ass".

:D

Make THAT a poll

SparkieD
09-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
Personally, I voted Zakk cause Dime sometimes gets WAY too much credit for stuff.

And Zakk doesn't???

Mama's Fool
09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
I go with Dime just because he has a better groove. You can tell he's from Texas. Walk, Cowboys, 5 Minutes Alone, etc. had a groove to the riffs that Zakk doesn't have. It just adds to the heaviness imo. Zakk's technically great, but it's about the groove.

Tiki-Tom
09-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Where the fuck is this "technical greatness" of Zakk's??? Enlighten me, People 'cuz I can't find it anywhere!

"I must be bllliiinndddd....."

Panamark
09-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Sorry Badguy, Im bored....

Zakk !!

Only coz I love original Ozzy, and Zakk carried the flame for
as long as he could....

Those who have seen his live intepretations of Randy's
solos will know what I mean.
He never tried to pull em off note perfect, but the
integrity, feel and respect was still there...

Onya Zakk...

RIP Dimebag..

Dave's Bitch
09-21-2006, 05:16 AM
DIME

Diamondjimi
09-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Ditto !

Mr Badguy
09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Sorry Badguy, Im bored....

Zakk !!

Only coz I love original Ozzy, and Zakk carried the flame for
as long as he could....

Those who have seen his live intepretations of Randy's
solos will know what I mean.
He never tried to pull em off note perfect, but the
integrity, feel and respect was still there...

Absolutley.

But he never wrote anything of his own that was worth shit.

(Except the song "No more tears")

Mr. Vengeance
09-22-2006, 07:25 PM
You bet your ass.

We`ve had them all in here:

Iron Maiden or Judas Priest
Metallica or Megadeth
Van Halen or Van Hagar
Etc.

Well, some people seem to respond. So who gives a fuck?

Soul Reaper
09-23-2006, 06:17 AM
while I think both of them are great as guitarists, I'll have to go with Dime because I prefer Pantera....

it's too hard to choose just based on guitar skill because in my opinion they've got similar, agressive styles...

trueblue
09-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Dime is one of my greatest metal guitar heroes of all-time. So this is really a no-contest... And I always think Zakk is THE prime candidate to win most polls if it were about OVER-RATED GUITARIST of our times..I know some people say the same thing about Dime, but I just think he was light years ahead of Zakk by every standard in my book.

I'm one of Pantera's biggest fans ever and Dime's amazing guitar heroism on those terrific Pantera records is one major reason why I got hooked on that band. His white-hot fiery riffs, superb groovy sound and tone, the sexy virtuosity, the powerful passion and originality, and loads of other things that make me admire Dime's guitar wizardry to this day..I'll forever miss and mourn his tragic passing.

And to those guys that say Dime got all the adulation only after/because he was slain, I'd simply say that you are just freakin' ignorant and outright liars...Maybe they only got into Pantera after Dime died, when it dawned on them who and what we all really lost...Point is, Dime had already established his stellar reputation as the hottest axeman in the Metal community long before he was slain. Dime and Pantera had single-handedly carried, nay saved, the entire decade ('90s) for Metal...And I'm really proud and grateful for that..

I never regarded Zakk Wylde too highly at any rate...Sure, he's no guitar wimp...Decent player, impressive and fun when he has his brief moments of magic, that's all, no more no less. His work with Ozzy solo is mostly stuff that I neither much like nor respect... And I can't begin to describe, in text, exactly what I feel about Zakk's totally trashy embarrassment he calls BLS (Black Label Society).

On another note, I'm no guitarist myself or technical wizard on the topic, but I've heard countless times, even among some of Zakk's most avid cheerleaders, that his excessive penchant for the so-called 'pinch harmonics' in his playing drives a lot of his fans mad as hell..Could be one reason why Zakk often gets trashed a fair bit even by his most loyal backers...

So yea, Dime wins my vote on this poll, or almost any other poll on guitarists, except one that has EVH on it...Ha