PDA

View Full Version : Iraq torture 'worse after Saddam'

Nickdfresh
09-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Iraq torture 'worse after Saddam'
Torture may be worse now in Iraq than under former leader Saddam Hussein, the UN's chief anti-torture expert says.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42115000/jpg/_42115048_torture203.jpg
Manfred Nowak said the situation in Iraq was "out of control", with abuses being committed by security forces, militia groups and anti-US insurgents.

Bodies found in the Baghdad morgue "often bear signs of severe torture", said the human rights office of the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq in a report.

The wounds confirmed reports given by refugees from Iraq, Mr Nowak said.

He told journalists at a briefing in Geneva that he had yet to visit Iraq, but he was able to base his information on autopsies and interviews with Iraqis in neighbouring Jordan.

"What most people tell you is that the situation as far as torture is concerned now in Iraq is totally out of hand," the Austrian law professor said.

"The situation is so bad many people say it is worse than it has been in the times of Saddam Hussein," he added.

Brutal methods

The UN report says detainees' bodies often show signs of beating using electrical cables, wounds in heads and genitals, broken legs and hands, electric and cigarette burns.

Bodies found at the Baghdad mortuary "often bear signs of severe torture including acid-induced injuries and burns caused by chemical substances".

Many bodies have missing skin, broken bones, back, hands and legs, missing eyes, missing teeth and wounds caused by power drills or nails, the UN report says.

Victims come from prisons run by US-led multinational forces as well as by the ministries of interior and defence and private militias, the report said.

The most brutal torture methods were employed by private militias, Mr Nowak told journalists.

The report also says the frequency of sectarian bloodletting means bodies are often found which "bear signs indicating that the victims have been brutally tortured before their extra-judicial execution".

It concludes that torture threatens "the very fabric of the country" as victims exact their own revenge and fuel further violence.

Mr Nowak said he would like to visit Iraq in person, but the current situation would not allow him to prepare an accurate report, because it would not be safe to leave Baghdad's heavily guarded Green Zone where the Iraqi government and US leadership are situated.

Story from BBC NEWS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/5368360.stm)

Published: 2006/09/21 16:27:31 GMT

© BBC MMVI

BITEYOASS
09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."-Roger Daltry

DEMON CUNT
09-23-2006, 01:20 PM
If you voted or Bush, you voted for this!

You are a party to the war crimes that are commited by the leaders you elect.

At least none of them faggits can get married now, right?

Nitro Express
09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
It's time we wise up and realize Saddam Hussain was doing the norm for the region he lives in. Now, who's the enemy today? Yesterday it was Iraq and now it's Iran. Funny, we get rid of Saddam's sunni control and put in a shite govt. that kisses their shite Iranian nieghbors ass.

What have we accomplished? We just made Iran stronger in the region. Now Shite Muslims are the enemy when it was Sunni Muslims who attacked us on Sept. 11.

Time we wake up and see the Middle East for the corrupt fuck fest it is. Only idiots think we can bring democracy and peace to the region. They have been screwing each other for milleniums. We can't do shit there.

How many Americans have to die before we realize the Bush and Dick fucked us into a madhouse of unwinable sollutions.

LoungeMachine
09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
We've made things much worse....

We've pissed away all of the goodwill the world showered us with....

We've wasted resources that could have gone to much better uses.....

We've set ourselves up in another UNWINABLE war.....

For all of the wrong reasons.....

And there are obvious people to blame for this.......

Too obvious.

Seshmeister
09-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm appalled by all sorts of stuff in the world these days but the thing that drves me insanely angry is listening to born again Christians supporting torture.

Nitro Express
09-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I'm appalled by all sorts of stuff in the world these days but the thing that drves me insanely angry is listening to born again Christians supporting torture.

Who says they do? The Bush supporters got duped because Saddam was the bad guy. Nobody was thinking about the end result including Bonehead Bush himself.

ppg960
12-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Know one could have realized how this situation could unravel and turn against the US. It's easy to sit on the outside and look in while critisising Bush and the UN.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ppg960
Know one could have realized how this situation could unravel and turn against the US. .

Bullshit moron. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Many people called this. Including, but not limited to Richard Clarke, Colin Powell, and many, many GENERALS

Fucking dumbass.

ODShowtime
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Hopefully, once Saddam's gone, things will get better.

Actually, I doubt it.

ppg960
12-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Bullshit moron. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Many people called this. Including, but not limited to Richard Clarke, Colin Powell, and many, many GENERALS

Fucking dumbass.

Fuck You. I see you pulled your boyfriends cock out of your mouth to finally say something.

There is no way to tell how this could have went. The Big Bad Generals have been wrong before.
Go away asshole, adults are talking here Faggy.:heyfu:

LoungeMachine
12-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Fuck You. I see you pulled your boyfriends cock out of your mouth to finally say something.

There is no way to tell how this could have went. The Big Bad Generals have been wrong before.
Go away asshole, adults are talking here Faggy.:heyfu:

No one could forsee an occupational force being attacked by an angry insurgency?

Especially when you don't secure the munition dumps, and disband the army.......

Adults are talking? Are you hearing them from your room in the basement?

dolt.

ppg960
12-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Oh, I see you took another breather??
Next time ask your Circle Jerk friend to stick his dick in your ear and Fuck some sense into your head.
Shut the Fuck Up. Most people here think your an AssClown anyway. Who did you have to suck off to become a Mod anyway??

pflo
12-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Know one could have realized how this situation could unravel and turn against the US. It's easy to sit on the outside and look in while critisising Bush and the UN. I did. Four years ago. Same with a few million other people around the world who got off there asses who protested before the invasion.Anyone with half a melon could see what would happen. And it has, to a TEE. Your statement is beyond ludicrous, or maybe you have a memory problem. Begin with the insults and flail inane.

ppg960
12-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Ok, let's have these crazy Bastards killing who they want.
I'm done. Fuck it, let people like Bin Laden and Saddam do what they please.
You guys are right..

LoungeMachine
12-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Ok, let's have these crazy Bastards killing who they want.

Where's the Big Hunt for Bin Laden?, if that's your argument.

And where's your outrage of The Sudanese?, if mass killing is your argument.

I'm done.

Glad to hear it, since you have no game anyway......

You guys are right..

Well duh.

:rolleyes:

ppg960
12-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Yes absolutely we should be in the Sudan. No question. But we weren't talking about that subject, were we??
I think your opinion would be different if this war wouldn't have lasted for four years.
Again, it's easy to get on the bandwagon. Don't jump off when things go wrong.

WACF
12-29-2006, 01:37 PM
To go to Sudan would be to go in without their permission...the UN can not do that.

WACF
12-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
No one could forsee an occupational force being attacked by an angry insurgency?

Especially when you don't secure the munition dumps, and disband the army.......

Adults are talking? Are you hearing them from your room in the basement?

dolt.

The writting was on the wall.

Sectarian fighting was bound to explode...especially with neighboring countries with their own interests involved.

There will be no easy out...it will be ugly no matter what.

Iraq was created by the British during WWI...I wonder if the US will partition it...seems onlly logical to divide it...good luck with that though,

ppg960
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by WACF
To go to Sudan would be to go in without their permission...the UN can not do that.

We went into Iraq with UN endorsement. Sometimes it feels like the UN has run it's course.
The US is the major player in the UN and calls the shots.

WACF
12-29-2006, 02:18 PM
We went into Iraq with UN endorsement. Sometimes it feels like the UN has run it's course.
The US is the major player in the UN and calls the shots.

The UN did not invade Iraq though.

Baghdad was in clear violation of a series of UN Security Council resolutions...therefore the UN did not endorse or condem the invasion.

Or am I wrong...did they endorse?

Nickdfresh
12-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Know one could have realized how this situation could unravel and turn against the US. It's easy to sit on the outside and look in while critisising Bush and the UN.

What about those that were criticizing him all along?

Actually, quite a few stated, both publicly and off the record, that too few troops were being sent in to occupy the country...

History will not let Bush "pass-the-buck."

ppg960
12-30-2006, 11:32 AM
If I remember right, the UN did not endorse an invasion.
They were not convinced like Bush was that Saddam had weapons of mass distruction.

Then the shit hit the fan.