PDA

View Full Version : Golf news

Steve Savicki
09-25-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/09/21/news/rcupriv.php

For Europe, it's a rare and not entirely pleasurable conundrum: How to play the lamb when you have outsmarted the wolf - and Tiger - on four of the last five occasions and generated a record nine-point margin of victory last time around, at Oakland Hills Country Club in Michigan in 2004?

"We are the underdogs," said Tiger Woods, using a word that never applies to him on a golf course when he is playing on his own.

Woods, although a natural introvert, has made team building a priority, joining a two-day August retreat with the U.S. captain, Tom Lehman, and the 11 other members of the American team.

"I think the atmosphere has been certainly a little bit different, because that's Tom's personality," Woods said. "Tom's very serious, but also very mellow, too."

"I think that's how we are as a team. We are a unit. That's how we're going to play. We're going to go out there and compete and give it everything we've got and lay it on the line and have a great time doing it."

The Americans have been preaching the values of team building for years, while remaining tightly wound. Ironically, their more heterogeneous opponents have been a biennial, less contrived tribute to European integration - often hard to find in the nongolfing world.

The United States still leads the overall Cup standings, 24 to 9, with two ties, but since the European players joined the British and Irish in 1979, the score is 7-6 for Europe. This European team has two Swedes, two Spaniards, four Englishmen, one Scot, two Irishmen, one Northern Irishmen and a Welsh captain, Ian Woosnam.

The Irishmen, in particular, will receive huge support, as long as the wind or the rain doesn't drown out the cheers.

DUBLIN For Europe, it's a rare and not entirely pleasurable conundrum: How to play the lamb when you have outsmarted the wolf - and Tiger - on four of the last five occasions and generated a record nine-point margin of victory last time around, at Oakland Hills Country Club in Michigan in 2004?

"We are the underdogs," said Tiger Woods, using a word that never applies to him on a golf course when he is playing on his own.

Woods, although a natural introvert, has made team building a priority, joining a two-day August retreat with the U.S. captain, Tom Lehman, and the 11 other members of the American team.

"I think the atmosphere has been certainly a little bit different, because that's Tom's personality," Woods said. "Tom's very serious, but also very mellow, too."

"I think that's how we are as a team. We are a unit. That's how we're going to play. We're going to go out there and compete and give it everything we've got and lay it on the line and have a great time doing it."

The Americans have been preaching the values of team building for years, while remaining tightly wound. Ironically, their more heterogeneous opponents have been a biennial, less contrived tribute to European integration - often hard to find in the nongolfing world.

The United States still leads the overall Cup standings, 24 to 9, with two ties, but since the European players joined the British and Irish in 1979, the score is 7-6 for Europe. This European team has two Swedes, two Spaniards, four Englishmen, one Scot, two Irishmen, one Northern Irishmen and a Welsh captain, Ian Woosnam.

The Irishmen, in particular, will receive huge support, as long as the wind or the rain doesn't drown out the cheers.

DUBLIN For Europe, it's a rare and not entirely pleasurable conundrum: How to play the lamb when you have outsmarted the wolf - and Tiger - on four of the last five occasions and generated a record nine-point margin of victory last time around, at Oakland Hills Country Club in Michigan in 2004?

So do you think Ireland will improve this year?

Viking
08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
I just spent the weekend at the Grande Villas At The World Golf Village in St. Augustine, Florida. Even farted in the hot tub. :D :killer: :killer: :killer: