PDA

View Full Version : 60% of Iraqis Approve of Killing US Soldiers

LoungeMachine
09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Sept. 27, 2006 — The Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland has conducted a poll on the war in Iraq.

Here are a few of the poll's findings:

Six in 10 Iraqis approve of attacks on U.S.-led forces, up from fewer than half in an earlier PIPA poll in January.

Nearly eight in 10 say the U.S. presence in Iraq is provoking more conflict than it's preventing (as opposed to being "a stabilizing force.")

Forty-seven percent say the country is headed in the right direction, down from 64 percent in January.

Sixty-three percent say the Maliki government is doing a good job (17 percent "very good.")

Most have confidence in the Iraqi army (64 percent) and police (71 percent) to protect their security. More than eight in 10 lack such confidence in U.S. troops.

Thirty-seven percent want U.S. troops to withdraw within six months; an additional 34 percent want them to withdraw within the next year.

Fifty-three percent are confident that Iraqi security forces will be strong enough to deal with security challenges in six months, up 14 points since January.

Nickdfresh
09-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Another helpful stat, 70% of Iraqis want U.S. troops out within one year.

LoungeMachine
09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Nearly 8 in 10 say the U.S. presence in Iraq is provoking more conflict than it's preventing (as opposed to being "a stabilizing force.")

Glad to know we're appreciated.....

FORD
09-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't think you could find a country where the majority would be in favor of foreign occupation.

For most Iraqis, their thoughts as of April 2003 (let alone now) were probably along the lines of "OK, thanks for getting rid of Saddam. Now get the fuck out"

Hell, if the pre-Harper Canadians or the Swedes or whatever invaded the US to overthrow Chimpy, my reaction would be pretty much the same.

Nitro Express
09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
You have to be careful with these kind of surveys. I could have gotten a double major in statistics if I took a few more classes. Statistics are as accurate as the sample data is and getting good sample data is very very difficult.

A lot of time and thought goes into writing survey questions and how and to whome they are asked. Most surveys don't even come close to being very accurate at all.

Just because the University of such and such did a survey take it with a grain of salt. Govt. Surveys as well.

I would say most Iraqis didn't like Saddam but didn't like being invaded either. Their biggest fear now is we will leave and caos will errupt even more than it is now. The Shite majority and Kurds like us but the sunni minority don't. I don't see the kind of number the survey is claiming just using some common sense.

DEMON CUNT
09-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Praise the lord and call my stock broker. We are going to be there a while.

This is why we are still there and will remain there:

http://www.indymedia.ie/cache/imagecache/local/attachments/mar2006/460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_1hal.jpg

LoungeMachine
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
You have to be careful with these kind of surveys. I could have gotten a double major in statistics if I took a few more classes

And I could've been the third member of MicroSquish had I not shoved Paul and Bill's head in the toilets at Lakeside:rolleyes:

Point being.......SO MUCH FOR WINNING THE HEARTS AND MINDS OF THOSE WE'RE DYING FOR..... :rolleyes:

ODShowtime
09-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Nearly eight in 10 say the U.S. presence in Iraq is provoking more conflict than it's preventing (as opposed to being "a stabilizing force.")

What do they know? gw has his finger on the pulse man.

Nitro Express
09-28-2006, 05:32 AM
And 9 out of 10 prefer Preparation H to other hemroidal relief products.

blueturk
09-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Just think how the numbers would have looked if the 48,000 dead Iraqi civilians could have polled!

"I like to tell people when the final history is written on Iraq, it will look like just a comma because there is -- my point is, there's a strong will for democracy." --George W. Bush, interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Sept. 24, 2006

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Those statistics also mean success in Iraq.

It could also be looked at as the Iraqi Army and Police getting to a point of actually protecting their own. The Iraqi people having faith that everything is going to be ok.

Ya can't just look at this kind of thing and assume the worst. High number of confidence and strength also means our military is doing it's job and doing it well.

I want these numbers to rise exponentially in the next 6 months. It means we're one step closer to having our brothers and sisters come home and out of harms way.

DEMON CUNT
09-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions

I want these numbers to rise exponentially in the next 6 months. It means we're one step closer to having our brothers and sisters come home and out of harms way.

Success in this case is impossible. The wound is festering and the infection is spreading though out the world.

The more they approve of killing Americans, the more Americans will die. Rise exponentially? I fucking hope not.

We are never leaving Iraq. I repeat, we are never leaving Iraq.

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 09:01 AM
It does mean taking their country back Demon. That is what we want if the troops are going to pull out.

Ya'll are saying it yourselves, that Bush isn't pulling out. Well, once the Iraqi's demand it loud enough, then there will be no other choice. Doesn't matter if the Iraqi's screaming it from the rooftops or the Iraqi Military rising up and restricting movement. This is what needs to happen to get us home.

Where's your hope Demon? Forget Bush, Halliburton, Rumsfeld...where's your faith in the will of PEOPLE power? If that's truly gone for all of us...then you're right we'll never leave Iraq and Bush will always be President.

LoungeMachine
09-28-2006, 10:00 AM

?????????????????????????????????/

How the fuck can having 60% of those polled APPROVE of the KILLING of US men and women be spun as "success"?????????

jesus h........

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Lounge, how many American's would approve of killing foreign soldiers on American soil as a force?

Just a wild, out of the sky guess will do.

LoungeMachine
09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Lounge, how many American's would approve of killing foreign soldiers on American soil as a force?

Just a wild, out of the sky guess will do.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

So now you're claiming we're at war with The Iraqi People????

This will be news to Iraqi Governemtn we installed, and the army and police we "trained", dont ya think :rolleyes:

Your hypothetical males no sense and holds no water whatsoever.

But to play your game, I'd say around 100%

So, what's your point, EL?

I can't wait to see where you're going with this.

War is Peace

Losing is Winning

Death is Life

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Lounge, you know better about me....you know I'm all sappy humanitarian bullshitter.

What I'm saying is that it shows that they're not hiding and waiting for a US soldier to solve a problem for them. It means that they're willing to stand up and protect their homeland.

In the statistic it doesn't give us the luxury of circumstances of their approval. Nor does the statistic say that they will. It doesn't even suggest that they shoot on site. It just says that they approve, and I interpret that as saying that they don't want a foreign force on their soil anymore.

I have no illusions that we're going to come out of this war with Iraq as them an ally of any sort. I don't expect some outpouring of gratitude over what we've done over there.

I just honestly believe that the quickest way to get our people home is if the Iraqi's stand up for themselves. And these statistics clearly state that they're ready as well as willing to do it.

Pride for my homeland would make me approve of killing a foreign force on my soil as well. Iraqi's need that pride for our people to get out. Fuck them all...all I want is my friends to come home.

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
to add.....when I get messages from my friends....

they used to say things like:
"If we can get these guys to not drop their weapons and scatter...."

"We're trying a new tactic to help them face the insurgents...."

My messages don't read like that anymore. Now they read...
"Not doing much these days, the troops are handling things on their own..."

"Got a new recruit class, they're learning very quickly and staying tight..."

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Similarly, 60% of me believes that blueturk ought to have 46 gourmet cheeseburgers taped all over his entire body (including the genitalia) and then be thrown into a pit where 104 hungry Sumo wrestlers who have not eaten in a week (and that little asian guy who somehow keeps winning the Coney Island Nathans 4th of July hot dog eating contest) are waiting.

40% of me thinks he should simply be flogged.

Elect me in two years and these ideas can become policy!!!

EAT MY ASSHOLE/MACACA '08!!!!!

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
I wonder if the Iraqis would approve of killing Chinese forces? How about Russian forces? Paraguayan forces? or maybe Netherland forces?

Lounge insinuated a "spin".....if you think about it, that statistic might already have a spin on it. Without my help...

Nickdfresh
09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
They killed a bunch of Russian Diplomats recently actually, something to do with a...Chechnya. Yes that! Whatever a Chechnya is.

Nitro Express
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
WwII lasted six years. Vietnam lasted ten. What did we accomplish in Vietnam? It's suppossedly still communist but I know people who go there on vacation and I notice some of my clothes are made there. Now go look at all those names on the Vietnam Memorial and tell me if it was worth it?

The United States was not a debter nation until Vietnam. The war cost so much money Nixon had to take us off the gold standard to help pay for it. Since then the dollar has become worth less and our deficite has ballooned to ever increasing portions.

I don't see the American people supporting the Iraq war much longer. Like Vietnam it will go on for more years until it becomes political suicide and we pull out. By then we should have a large list of dead people to put on the "We Learned Nothing From Vietnam" monument.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
What did we accomplish in Vietnam?

What a dumb thing to say. Most Americans had never even heard of Vietnam before the war. Thanks to that war, not only did the likes of Oliver Stone and Bruce Springsteen find a heightened career path, but US citizens have a more sophisticated understanding of world geography.

FORD
09-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
What a dumb thing to say. Most Americans had never even heard of Vietnam before the war. Thanks to that war, not only did the likes of Oliver Stone and Bruce Springsteen find a heightened career path, but US citizens have a more sophisticated understanding of world geography.

And some lucky artist got to design that really cool black granite wall with 58,000 names carved in it ..... :(

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 06:33 PM
...and if you've never been there, you can't feel the weight of that wall on your heart...

blueturk
09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Similarly, 60% of me believes that blueturk ought to have 46 gourmet cheeseburgers taped all over his entire body (including the genitalia) and then be thrown into a pit where 104 hungry Sumo wrestlers who have not eaten in a week (and that little asian guy who somehow keeps winning the Coney Island Nathans 4th of July hot dog eating contest) are waiting.

40% of me thinks he should simply be flogged.

Elect me in two years and these ideas can become policy!!!

EAT MY ASSHOLE/MACACA '08!!!!!

Let's see...a user name that suggests a fondness for tossing the salad, and thinly disguised homoerotic fantasies about a man you've never even seen. Let me explain. "Blue Turk" is an old Alice Cooper song, and my user name has no relation to your favorite magazine.

DEMON CUNT
09-28-2006, 09:01 PM
It does mean taking their country back Demon. That is what we want if the troops are going to pull out.

Ya'll are saying it yourselves, that Bush isn't pulling out. Well, once the Iraqi's demand it loud enough, then there will be no other choice. Doesn't matter if the Iraqi's screaming it from the rooftops or the Iraqi Military rising up and restricting movement. This is what needs to happen to get us home.

Where's your hope Demon? Forget Bush, Halliburton, Rumsfeld...where's your faith in the will of PEOPLE power? If that's truly gone for all of us...then you're right we'll never leave Iraq and Bush will always be President.

These are all very romantic notions that would make for a great Disney movie.

Unfortunately, money is still the root of all evil. And Iraq is making certain people a shit fucking load of money.

A friend of mine just got offered 80K for 30 days of technical consulting in Baghdad. He turned it down. Imagine what the president of that company must be making.

Mark my words- we will never ever leave Iraq. I do HOPE to someday eat these words...

Now that neocons have absolute power, they will not want to give it up. Look for "election irregularities" in every election for the rest of your voting life.

Nickdfresh
09-28-2006, 10:37 PM

Here's one for ya.' 80% of Iraqis believe that U.S. occupation actually increases violence, since it gives a foreign enemy to unify against.

FORD
09-29-2006, 12:23 AM
...and if you've never been there, you can't feel the weight of that wall on your heart...

Even the state version has that effect on me

http://www1.leg.wa.gov/documents/Senate/SADM/memorials/vietnam2_full.jpg

Same basic concept, with only a fraction of the names, naturally..... :(

kentuckyklira
09-29-2006, 05:20 AM

It could also be looked at as the Iraqi Army and Police getting to a point of actually protecting their own. The Iraqi people having faith that everything is going to be ok.

Ya can't just look at this kind of thing and assume the worst. High number of confidence and strength also means our military is doing it's job and doing it well.

I want these numbers to rise exponentially in the next 6 months. It means we're one step closer to having our brothers and sisters come home and out of harms way. The Iraqi police used to be pretty good at protecting the their own, but that was before "liberation"!

Ellyllions
09-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
These are all very romantic notions that would make for a great Disney movie.

Unfortunately, money is still the root of all evil. And Iraq is making certain people a shit fucking load of money.

A friend of mine just got offered 80K for 30 days of technical consulting in Baghdad. He turned it down. Imagine what the president of that company must be making.

Mark my words- we will never ever leave Iraq. I do HOPE to someday eat these words...

Now that neocons have absolute power, they will not want to give it up. Look for "election irregularities" in every election for the rest of your voting life.

Well Demon, that is a sad way to look at things because in our country, the power is supposed to be to the people. There's how many American citizens and how many in Government?

You're suggesting either that we've given up control of our country; or that we're just going to sit back and let whatever happens happen and well just take the stance of complaining about it.

If you want to change the issues, pay close attention to the upcoming Congressional election and vote. Within our Congress lies the answer to all of our problems right now.

LoungeMachine
09-29-2006, 10:15 AM

You're suggesting either that we've given up control of our country;

I believe we haven't given up control.....

It's been taken from us. :mad:

DEMON CUNT
09-29-2006, 10:43 AM
If you want to change the issues, pay close attention to the upcoming Congressional election and vote. Within our Congress lies the answer to all of our problems right now.

Someone took their Prozak this morning! Or maybe you always sound so naive?

El, I vote every fucking chance I get and I correspond with my representatives on a regular basis.

Nickdfresh
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
to add.....when I get messages from my friends....

they used to say things like:
"If we can get these guys to not drop their weapons and scatter...."

"We're trying a new tactic to help them face the insurgents...."

My messages don't read like that anymore. Now they read...
"Not doing much these days, the troops are handling things on their own..."

"Got a new recruit class, they're learning very quickly and staying tight..."

Um, actually I recall reading a recent article in which like 3000 Iraqi soldiers refused to deploy to Baghdad, because it was too far from home. Gee, and the American and "Coalition" forces? :rolleyes: