PDA

View Full Version : Moon landings faked? (VH mention - funny)

SoCalChelle
09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
This is from the current issue of Smithsonian magazine

Moonstruck
You can't believe everything you think
By Melody Von Smith

I went to a party a while ago. In the course of otherwise reasonable conversation, one of the guests said, "Oh, everybody knows the moon landings were faked."

I started laughing at what I assumed was sarcasm - maybe a riff on NASA's recent announcement that it had lost some high-quality videotape of the first one. Then I saw from the expression on his face that he was serious. And a number of other guests were nodding in agreement.

Both my parents are scientists - analytical chemistry and molecular biology. I have a physicist uncle, and I am a chemist. The notion of faked moon landings was an affront to the family crest.

"Excuse me?" I said.

"The pictures are all perfect," he said.

"Because there is no air," I replied. "Which means no dust, so that distant objects on the moon still appear crisp."

"But they're perfectly focused."

"The published ones are perfectly focused, sure. Nobody wants to see the astronaut's thumb."

His eyes narrowed. "The flag is flapping. How is that possible when there's no wind?"

"It's not flapping, " I said. "It's unfurling. Well, not unfurling, but that's the point - it was folded during the flight, and it didn't unfold fully even after they hung it from the flagpole."

"OK, maybe. But those supposed moon rocks" - he did that annoying curly-fingered quote thing - "could have easily been faked in a lab somewhere on earth."

"There's no water in them," I said. "Nor do they have compositions that are commonly found on earth."

"But you could make them," he insisted. "In a lab."

I clenched my teeth. "It would take less research to just go get them from the actual moon!"

His nostrils flared. He was coming in for the kill now. "What about...radiation! People can't go through the Van Halen belts. They'd be fried."

"Van Allen belts."

"Whatever."

"The Apollo traveled through the Van Allen belts in less than an hour. It would take far longer than that for the exposure to affect them."

I launched into a lecture on relative dosage, my area of expertise. But I didn't stop there. In my fury, my three semesters of college physics resurfaced. I shoved the snack plates out of the way and positioned an olive centrally in the cleared space.

"This is earth," I growled. I snatched four cheese puffs, to represent the inner and outer Van Allen radiation belts, then grabbed some Twizzlers and modeled the solar wind and the earth's magnetosphere and the bow shock region.

I started spewing mathematical formulas, not because it was crucial to my argument but to intimidate. "Do you understand?" I finally demanded.

He shrugged. "I'm a biologist."

Finally, my coup de grace: "The Russians."

He knit his brow.

"They had the first satellite, the first man in space, the first spacewalk," I said. "Then America gets the first man on the moon? That's like getting tripped by the other team's mascot. But have the Russians ever said the moon landing was a hoax?"

From now on I will start with this question. He backed away, admitting that perhaps - just maybe - I had a point.

The moral? There are several.
1. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it isn't true.
2. Don't believe everything you think.
3. Biology majors should be made to suffer through physics along with the rest of us.
And 4. If you make solar models out of food, don't expect to be invited to many parties.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-28-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by SoCalChelle
"People can't go through the Van Halen belts. They'd be fried."

"Van Allen belts."

"Whatever."

"The Apollo traveled through the Van Allen belts in less than an hour. It would take far longer than that for the exposure to affect them.

The whole story kicks ass!

But this particular point needs illustration.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9831/lemvhne0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:D

FORD
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, now we know what "Light Up The Sky" was really about.... Apollo passing through the Van Halen belts.

Soul Reaper
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
if the moon landing was fake, I'm sure the Russians would have known about it and told the world....

but they didn't, meaning either we went to the moon or the Russian observation isn't very good....

I'm guessing it's the first choice, we went to the moon....

BITEYOASS
09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Hell even as an accounting major I doubt the USA faked the moon landing. Especially with all of the revenue it took to research, design and build that big muthafuckin Saturn V rocket.

You could charbroil a damn Whale on this launchpad:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ihPy9JLnd4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ihPy9JLnd4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

knuckleboner
09-28-2006, 10:15 PM
i thought we'd made it through the van halen belts, but when we got asteroids on uranus, i realized we were still stuck in the van hagar band...

Terry
09-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Think the landings were real enough, but a waste of time, money and effort in the end.

At this point, the whole business would be more interesting to me if it all HAD been a hoax.

MAPRamone
10-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Think the landings were real enough, but a waste of time, money and effort in the end.

At this point, the whole business would be more interesting to me if it all HAD been a hoax.

It was an awesome achievement but i still kinda agree. Going to the moon just for the sake of going to the moon is pointless. And what good did it do us in the end? Going to the moon still hasn't gotten much easier and we're still not much closer to getting to Mars.

Panamark
10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Everyone knows Mars needs Guitars, DAMMIT !!!

sadaist
10-01-2006, 03:11 AM
I think we're actually going backwards. The new program to replace the shuttle just looks like the old Apollo capsules on some steroids.

The Mars Rover is pretty cool though.

sadaist
10-01-2006, 04:08 AM
If you haven't had a chance to see the new program, here is the link. Doesn't really look like progress to me.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/spacecraft/ares_naming.html

BITEYOASS
10-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Until they invent the force field, a small capsule will be a lot better than a large space shuttle.