PDA

View Full Version : Question for my esteemed music folks

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Why this song wasn't popular when it came out?

I'm addicted to this song. Since hearing it live last month, I think this is one kick ass rock song that should've been played more.

Anyone care to help me understand why it wasn't?

http://vidsearch.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=836831105

I'm not going to post who it's by or what it is because I want honest unbiased opinions.....

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
11 views and not a single opinion?
Ya'll are letting me down.

Does it just suck, bad vocals, boring guitar.....what?

Teach me oh learn-ed ones.

ThrillsNSpills
09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't know why radio didn't play it, but if you want to play it on your bass the notes are F# A E B.
(low string, 2nd fret)
(low string, 5th fret)
(open low string)
(2nd lowest string, 2nd fret)

(If you're learning it's best to work on a song you love)

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Ah, hah....thank you so much!

I think I will try to learn this one first.

ETA: And just for posting in this thread after so many people passed it by, if you want a copy of a live Bootleg of theirs on DVD, just drop me a pm with your mailing addy and I'll shit you one right over.

ThrillsNSpills
09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Ah, hah....thank you so much!

I think I will try to learn this one first.

I'll shit you one right over.

You'll what?
:eek:

ThrillsNSpills
09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
:D

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Lol...if you want one, just let me know.

m_dixon1984
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I liked it but it wasn't much musically IMHO, better than average but nothing spectacular. If you liked it you might also want to give Silvertide a listen. I'll bet the reason it wasn't popular was that it wasn't marketed strongly enough, that or just for the simple reason that Rock music isn't that popular right now.

http://www.silvertidemusic.com/host.htm

M

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
It was released on in 1993 (?I think)....

I've seen SilverTide twice.
They really put on a great show. Got some Black Crowes influence I suspect.

FORD
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
The story is that Candlebox were an LA band who moved up to Seattle to cash in on "grunge" (even though they weren't) and the fact that the labels were then sigining any band from Seattle who could manage to put an album together.

That strategy might have backfired on them, as they broke into the big time just when most of the other bands were breaking up for one reason or another. Dead singer (Nirvana), dying singer (AIC), or just plain sick of each other (Soundgarden).

Add this to the fact that Madonna's label Maverick Records didn't have shit for a promotional budget (which also killed the excellent mid-90's band "Neurotic Outsiders") and it didn't leave much opportunity for Candlebox.

Admittedly, I didn't care much for them at the time (because of the bandwagon thing) but I'm also surprised to hear they're still together. Did they move to Atlanta this time? ;)

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
You're right and you're wrong.

The very reason they disbanded in the first place is because of that very rumor. They were honestly from Washington State and Madonna's label was the one that wanted to cash in on the Grunge thing. So the label dropped them when the 3rd album Happy Pills didn't do so well. But the whole time Maverick had signed Candlebox and pushed them to follow Nirvana. Pearl Jam was suffering the same kind of "branding iron" at the time and the photo of Eddie Vedder wearing a "no grunge" t-shirt with duct tape across his mouth came out.....their label didn't like that much and their drummer ended up on Candlebox Happy Pills album instead of Scott Mercado.

I think a couple of them live in Los Angeles, but the rest are still living in Seattle.

They are back together, have a greatest hits album that fucking ROCKS, are filming a live DVD in Seattle tonight to a sold out crowd. They're going back into the studio afterward to put a new album together plus they have a few "make-up" shows booked in Louisana and 3 additional shows in Florida in November. And they're releasing all of the future projects without a major label......yeah, baby yeah....

I'm hooked on these guys right now.

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 05:11 PM
I will admit....the guitar work on some stuff is a little lack-luster for me. I'm not a bar/power chord person. But the bass, drums, and that damn lead singer's pipes are enough to keep the cd's spinning.

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
I liked them better when they were called Soundgarden.

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry, but Chris Cornell and Kevin Martin are nothing alike.

Cornell being fuckable and all....

DrMaddVibe
09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm sorry, but Chris Cornell and Kevin Martin are nothing alike.

Yeah, Cornell has talent and Martin wants to sound like Cornell.

The music isn't anything that Soundgarden didn't do...better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like it if they'd play this on the radio, but I've given up on the radio as an instrument to feed us new talent to listen to. Corporate whores have won out and now you have to pay XM or Sirrus radio for the same caliber that FM used to give us for FREE!

I'll stick to free and ride the internet for decent live/recorded music.

Ellyllions
09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I think Kevin sounds like Billy Squier sometimes.

And I love it.

Hardrock69
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I remember that song.

Lack of promotion I guess....

binnie
10-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Elly I know exactly where your coming from: there are loads of records in my collection that I think should have been huge but weren't.

Sometimes its about timing, others promotion, touring etc etc....

But, at the end of the day if you like what does it matter if others don't??

Candlebox were always a band I had a soft spot for, and that song should have done sometinhg for them: twenty times better than half the shit on the radio today!

DavidLeeNatra
10-01-2006, 06:13 PM
not my cup of tea...

Ellyllions
10-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Binnie, that's kind of how I feel about Def Leppard's "Slang" album.

I didn't like Lep when I was growing up. I didn't like any of that rock music of the whole late 80's genre. (i.e. Dokken, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Winger...etc...etc..) I had a cousin who spent enough time with me to classify as my brother who taught me Judas Priest, Van Halen, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Queensryche. It always seemed like that music had a brain and the "happy rock" just didn't.

But when "Slang" came out, I was throwing newspapers every morning, putting myself through college and my trainer played this album over and over during my week of training. It's dark, moody, and orchestrated. Only one song on the whole album had that infamous DL "arena rock" sound to it , thank God. But now you can get it for less than $2 in the bargain bin if you can find it at all. For me, it was one of their best.

binnie
10-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Well Elly I'll have to disagree about "Slang". never did like that album or Def Leppard...

But each to their own.

It's a good topic though, "records that should have been classics", it's nice that we all have albums where we hear something that others don't!

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Not a bad song from a crappy piece of shit band...

Cool vocals...

Ellyllions
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
LOL, Elvis....don't hold back now. Be blunt.

I've found that most crappy songs are the ones released as singles to be played on radio.

Perfect example? "I'll Wait" vs. "Drop Dead Legs"
Hate "I'll Wait", always have...but boy wasn't it a sure sign of what was to become of Van Halen. "Drop Dead Legs" is a fantastic song that should've been released right after "Hot for Teacher". But then, "When It's Love" wouldn't have been as popular....

Pull up the free Napster player and against your better judgement give the album "Lucy" a spin. See how you feel afterward.

Jimmy Jingles
10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Why wasn't this song popular when it came out?

Because it sucks balls.

Ellyllions
10-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, Jimmy.....your opinion counts too.

Even though it does give one an disturbing visual.....it still counts.

Jimmy Jingles
10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, Jimmy.....your opinion counts too.

Even though it does give one an disturbing visual.....it still counts.

Stank you my dear.

Carry on.

Ellyllions
10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
No stank, I washed it just an hour ago.

Just in case you were wondering.

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I always liked I'll Wait...

It's Jump that I could never stand, I like it even less today...

FORD
10-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I always liked I'll Wait...

It's Jump that I could never stand, I like it even less today...

At least "Jump" has a solid drum beat and a decent (though far too short) guitar solo in it.

"I'll Wait" is just too soft all over. It's more or less a preview of what Van Hagar would be, only with better vocals. :(

I hated both of them at first, and I'm sick of both now. But if I had to listen to one, I'd pick "Jump".

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
That's because you're a commie liberal...;)

Jimmy Jingles
10-02-2006, 05:12 PM
No stank, I washed it just an hour ago.

Just in case you were wondering.

GRATE NEWS!

I wish more women would take time from their daily routines to spit shine her snatch, aka...

whisker biscuits
aka
fur burger
aka
bearded clam
aka
catcher's mitt
aka
piss flaps
aka
roast beef curtains
aka
tuna taco
aka
cock socket
aka
hairy doughnut
aka
sausage wallet
aka
Republic of Labia
aka
Indiana Bones and the Temple of Poon
aka....

Well, you get the idea.

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 05:13 PM
And I'll Wait has a solid beat and a good guitar solo as well...

And it doesn't suck!

One more and...and since when didn't you like "soft all over" music ??

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
FORD!

ELVIS
10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles

Well, you get the idea.

I prefer pussy myself...

Jimmy Jingles
10-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I prefer pussy myself...

:killer:

monkeythe
10-03-2006, 02:02 AM
The reason this song didn't set the world on fire was because it was a few years too late. I believe this album came out in either late 95 or early 96. By that time the pop culture meter moved away from the Seattle grunge sound and towards Hootie and the Blowfish

MERRYKISSMASS2U
10-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Binnie, that's kind of how I feel about Def Leppard's "Slang" album.

I didn't like Lep when I was growing up. I didn't like any of that rock music of the whole late 80's genre. (i.e. Dokken, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Winger...etc...etc..) I had a cousin who spent enough time with me to classify as my brother who taught me Judas Priest, Van Halen, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Queensryche. It always seemed like that music had a brain and the "happy rock" just didn't.

But when "Slang" came out, I was throwing newspapers every morning, putting myself through college and my trainer played this album over and over during my week of training. It's dark, moody, and orchestrated. Only one song on the whole album had that infamous DL "arena rock" sound to it , thank God. But now you can get it for less than $2 in the bargain bin if you can find it at all. For me, it was one of their best.

Queensryche! You go girl!

Cinco estrellas! Five stars!

Hardrock69
10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Elly, that is a grate description.

Happy rock does not have a brain.

Look at Posin'.

Their crap is so mindless that if they drove a car off a cliff with all four of those idiots in it, I would be quite content, and would feel that somehow the balance of the Universe had been restored.
:cool:

Ellyllions
10-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I like Rock music the same way I like Dick. Hard and determined.

Don't pander me by trying to cloak a power ballad amongst 7 other hard hitting tunes. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I want roses and promises. And "I'll Wait" was just that. It was thrown in for it's "radio friendly" -ness. If I want a love song, I know where to find one.

diamondD
10-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, I hadn't seen anything sig-worthy lately until now. :eek: :D

FORD
10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Elly, that is a grate description.

Happy rock does not have a brain.

Look at Posin'.

Their crap is so mindless that if they drove a car off a cliff with all four of those idiots in it, I would be quite content, and would feel that somehow the balance of the Universe had been restored.
:cool:

Not unless Chimp & Dick were in the car with them.