PDA

View Full Version : NY Republican Congressman may fall with Foley.

Nickdfresh
10-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Major Race is a Dead Heat

Posted by: Michael Geller, Producer
Created: 9/28/2006 12:00:42 PM
Updated: 9/30/2006 8:00:14 AM

The race for the congressional seat in New York's 26th Congressional district between Congressman Tom Reynolds and businessman Jack Davis is neck and neck according to new scientific polling information.

The survey was commissioned by Channel 2 News and was completed by SurveyUSA. It breaks down as the following:

45% Tom Reynolds (R)
43% Jack Davis (D)
8% Christine Murphy (G)
4% Undecided

The survey was conducted between Monday, September 25th and Wednesday, September 27th. On Tuesday, September 26th the New York State Board of Elections determined Green Party candidate Christine Murphy's candidacy to be invalid. These results are considered by SurveyUSA to still be an accurate snapshot of voter's oppinions during that time frame. They do not, however, say it is an accurate picture of what will happen in November. 2 On Your Side has commissioned a new survey with the two remaining candidates. The results are expected next Thursday.

The survey results represent 491 likely voters from New York's 26th Congressional District. They were chosen using Registration Based Sample from Aristotle International.

Click here to view how the poll breaks down by gender, race, ethnicity and ideology.

Methodology
How this poll was conducted: This SurveyUSA poll was conducted by telephone in the voice of a professional announcer. Respondent households were selected at random, using Random Digit Dialed (RDD) sample provided by Survey Sampling, of Fairfield CT, unless otherwise indicated on the individual poll report. All respondents heard the questions asked identically. Within the report, you will find: the geography that was surveyed; the date(s) interviews were conducted and the news organization(s) that paid for the research. The number of respondents who answered each question and the margin of sampling error for each question are provided. Where necessary, responses were weighted according to age, gender, ethnic origin, geographical area and number of adults and number of voice telephone lines in the household, so that the sample would reflect the actual demographic proportions in the population, using most recent U.S.Census estimates. In theory, with the stated sample size, one can say with 95% certainty that the results would not vary by more than the stated margin of sampling error, in one direction or the other, had the entire universe of respondents been interviewed with complete accuracy. There are other possible sources of error in all surveys that may be more serious than theoretical calculations of sampling error. These include refusals to be interviewed, question wording and question order, weighting by demographic control data and the manner in which respondents are filtered (such as, determining who is a likely voter). It is difficult to quantify the errors that may result from these factors. Fieldwork for this survey was done by SurveyUSA of Verona, NJ.

Link (http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=41478)

Nickdfresh
10-01-2006, 03:03 PM
And that Poll WAS BEFORE the Floey scandal broke.

Reynolds knew of Foley's e-mails

THOUGHT ISSUE WAS RESOLVED
Says he notified speaker of House

By JERRY ZREMSKI and DOUGLAS TURNER
News Washington Bureau
10/1/2006

WASHINGTON Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds, R-Clarence, learned last spring that a teenager who formerly worked as a House page had complained last fall about inappropriate e-mail messages from a Republican congressman.

Although Reynolds notified House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., about the matter at the time, Reynolds said Saturday he did not alert police or other authorities because he thought the situation had been resolved.

In a telephone interview, Reynolds said Rep. Rodney Alexander, R-La., who sponsored the page, approached him in the spring to tell him that the page "had some discomfort" with e-mails he received from Rep. Mark Foley, R-Fla.

Foley, 53, resigned Friday following news reports about the e-mails and about much more sexually explicit computer messages to other pages. Reynolds said he did not know about the salacious instant messages until ABC News reported on them Friday.

Reynolds heads the National Republican Congressional Committee, which is in charge of House GOP re-election efforts. Foley was among the committee's largest single contributors, giving the NRCC $330,000 in less than three years.

Foley's pace of giving to the NRCC more than tripled after Reynolds became its chairman in 2003.

In the interview, Reynolds downplayed his knowledge of a sex scandal that could become central to the Republican Party's battle to retain House control.

Asked how Alexander characterized the messages, Reynolds said: "I'm not going to get into all that . . . I'm not into a grand jury witness thing here, or whatever."

Later in the interview, however, Reynolds said: "I was told that a member of the House was communicating with a page and that the page had some discomfort with it."

In one of the e-mails, Foley wrote: "I am back in Florida now . . . its nice here . . . been raining today . . . it sounds like you will have some fun over the next few weeks . . . how old are you now?" and "how are you weathering the hurricane . . . are you safe . . . send me an e-mail pic of you as well."

The former page, then 16, complained to Alexander's office, repeatedly calling the request for a photo "sick" and adding that the e-mails "freaked me out."

Despite his conversation with Alexander, Reynolds said: "I had no idea what was contained in any e-mails." Asked if Alexander told him anything that would give him reason to contact authorities, Reynolds said: "Not that I could tell."

Reynolds said Alexander told him that he had spoken with the page's parents. They didn't want the matter pursued, he said, "so I thought it had to be pretty well satisfied."

"I didn't give this a whole lot of thought when the member who sponsored the page told me he was in contact with the parents of the 16-year-old."

Nevertheless, he contacted Hastert to alert him. "Despite the fact that I had not seen the e-mails in question, and Mr. Alexander told me that the parents didn't want the matter pursued, I told the speaker of the conversation Mr. Alexander had with me," he said.

Hastert said Saturday he does not remember talking to Reynolds about the Foley e-mails, but he did not dispute Reynolds' account.

Reynolds said he didn't think to bring the issue to the House Ethics Committee after Alexander approached him. But the House voted unanimously on Friday to refer the matter to the ethics panel.

Reynolds also released a statement Saturday in which he sharply criticized Foley.

"Mark Foley betrayed the integrity of this institution as well as the trust of his colleagues and constituents," Reynolds said. "There is no excuse, and he needs to be held accountable."

Foley had been expected to easily win re-election, but his resignation buoyed Democratic hopes of capturing the seat - and perhaps House control.

Moreover, Democrats are trying to use the Foley scandal and the GOP leadership's reaction to it to embarrass Reynolds, who is in a competitive race against Democratic industrialist Jack Davis.

"Congressman Reynolds' inaction in the face of such a serious situation is very troubling and raises important questions about whether there was an attempt to cover up criminal activity involving a minor to keep it from coming to light before Election Day," said Karen Finney, the Democratic National Committee's communications director. "It appears that Reynolds did not tell [civil] authorities about the e-mails or take any step to discipline Foley, apparently choosing instead to sweep the matter under the rug."

Reynolds termed the Democratic reaction "as crass as anything I have seen."

"I'm certainly not going to react to some campaign rhetoric . . . on a tragic incident of a page," he said.

Reynolds also noted that Alexander complained to the clerk of the House about the matter last fall.

"Alexander has also said he took the matter to the clerk of the House. An investigation was then conducted by the clerk and John Shimkus on behalf of the House Page Board," he said in his statement.

The clerk and the House Page Board subsequently investigated, Reynolds said.

"We ordered Congressman Foley to cease all contact with this former House page to avoid even the appearance of impropriety," Shimkus, R-Ill., said. "It has become clear to me today, based on information I only now have learned, that Congressman Foley was not honest about his conduct."

But the top Democrat on the House Page Board said claims that the board ever investigated Foley are "completely untrue."

As "the Democratic Member of the House Page Board, any statement by Mr. Reynolds or anyone else that the House Page Board ever investigated Mr. Foley is completely untrue," said Rep. Dalae Kildee, D-Mich.

"I was never informed of the allegations about Mr. Foley's inappropriate communications with a House page, and I was never involved in any inquiry into this matter.

"The first and only meeting of the House Page Board on this matter occurred on Friday, September 29 at approximately 6 p.m., after the allegations about Mr. Foley had become public."

e-mail: jzremski@buffnews.com
and dturner@buffnews.com

He knew this Foley-creep was cyber-cruisin' for teen boy pages! And he "thought the issue was resolved?"

Scumbag! Moral coward!:mad:

Link (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061001/1009498.asp)

Dr. Love
10-01-2006, 03:28 PM
http://foleysexualpredator.ytmnd.com/

FORD
10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Looks like Reynolds is "wrapped" up in this scandal.

I heard something about Senselessbrenner having some involvement in this as well. Probably prior knowledge and failed to act on it or something.

I'll definitely be partying election night if we can take out THAT nazi bastard.

Nickdfresh
10-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Holy shit! I just watched local news footage of Reynolds giving a press conference and answering questions at a function where Laura came to town (http://www.wkbw.com/election/default.aspx) to plug him.

Jesus, he was beet red and sweating profusely, and obviously, claiming that it was because a chest cold.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Jesus, he was beet red and sweating profusely, and obviously, claiming that it was because a chest cold.

Maybe right before the press conference he was molested by a clergyman.