PDA

View Full Version : Rice Denies She Ignored 9/11 Terror Warnings

Nickdfresh
10-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Link (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-book3oct03,1,531509.story?coll=la-news-politics-national&track=crosspromo)

Rice Denies Book's Assertion She Brushed Off CIA Terror Warning
`Incomprehensible,' she says of the idea that she ignored Tenet's anxiety over a strike before 9/11.
By Paul Richter

Times Staff Writer

October 3, 2006

State Department officials acknowledged late Monday that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was at a 2001 meeting where she was reportedly warned of the need to act on an impending terrorist threat to the United States.

They said she met with then-CIA Director George J. Tenet on or around July 10. A new book by Bob Woodward says she brushed off Tenet's warning at that session.

Earlier on Monday, Rice rejected the book's suggestion as "incomprehensible."

Speaking to reporters on her plane en route to the Middle East, Rice insisted she did not recall. Tenet and his counterterrorism chief seeking a special meeting with her to try to mobilize more vigorous anti-terror action, as Woodward writes in "State of Denial."

"The idea that I would have ignored that, I find incomprehensible," Rice told reporters late Sunday during the flight. "I am quite certain that it was not a meeting in which I was told that there was an impending attack, and refused to respond."

The State Department said Monday that a meeting around the time described by Woodward had in fact taken place, based on government records, but that no new information was given to Rice, who then was President Bush's national security advisor.

In his book, Woodward writes that Tenet and J. Cofer Black, then director of the CIA's counterterrorism center, decided on July 10, 2001, that they had to request a dramatic, "out-of-cycle" meeting with Rice to describe their anxiety over the chance of an attack against American interests, possibly within the United States.

Rice agreed to see them and acknowledged their warnings, but Tenet and Black felt she did not appreciate the gravity of the situation, which Woodward writes was the "starkest warning" yet given to the White House. "She was polite, but they felt the brush-off," Woodward writes.

Rice's reaction to the description of the meeting underscores administration attempts to counter claims, in Woodward's book and elsewhere, that question whether officials heeded internal warnings and reports on terrorism and the Iraq war.

Rice did not deny that any meeting took place, noting she met frequently with Tenet and other intelligence officials and counterterrorism experts during 2001, when she said the administration was developing a comprehensive strategy. But she said the idea of an emergency meeting designed to "shock" her did not make sense.

On Monday, two State Department officials delving into records at Rice's request found that a meeting took place "on or around July 10," as the book reports, said Curtis Cooper, a State Department spokesman. But the officials said that the meeting did not reveal any new threats, and that records about the meeting had been turned over to the national commission that investigated the Sept. 11 attacks, Cooper said. Woodward's book indicates that the Sept. 11 commission had access to the records of the meeting, but did not probe deeply into it.

Cooper said Tenet was asked by Sept. 11 commission members about the meeting. Cooper could not say whether the discussion took place in the commission's public sessions or in private. In public, no commissioner referred to a meeting on July 10. One commission member, Timothy J. Roemer, a former Democratic House member from Indiana, said over the weekend that commissioners had not been told about the meeting.

One of the officials probing meeting records at Rice's request was Philip D. Zelikow, the former Sept. 11 commission executive director whom Rice appointed State Department counselor last year.

Zelikow and State Department legal advisor John Bellinger reported that the information Tenet presented consisted of "threat reporting" from several weeks leading up to the meeting. "The information presented at this meeting was not new," Cooper said.

Rice told reporters that she was meeting regularly during the period with Tenet and Black, and they were getting a "steady stream" of intelligence reports warning of potential strikes. "I was talking to George about them all the time," she said.

Rice also denied that she had complained to Bush that Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was not returning her calls, as Woodward writes.

"Secretary Rumsfeld has never refused to return my phone calls — this is ludicrous," she said.

She denied that she tried to convince Bush to dump Rumsfeld, as the book says, though she said at one point she told Bush "that maybe all of us should go" after the demands of two wars, the aftermath of Sept. 11 and other world developments.

Rice said her five-day Mideast trip is aimed at trying to persuade moderate Arab states to do more to help democratic leaders in the region. She said she may meet Friday in London with ministers of the other world powers trying to convince Iran to suspend its uranium program.

paul.richter@latimes.com

LoungeMachine
10-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Liberal Dupe Alert!!!!

LMAO

LoungeMachine
10-03-2006, 10:38 AM
State Department confirms Rice met with Tenet; disputes terrorist threat

By Barbara Slavin, USA TODAY
CAIRO — The State Department said late Monday that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had met with then CIA director George Tenet "on or around July 10, 2001,'" but Tenet presented no new information about an impending terrorist threat to the United States.
Spokesman Sean McCormick issued a brief statement to reporters in an effort to quell controversy over a new book by Bob Woodward alleging that Rice brushed off warnings two months before 9/11.

Rice said earlier Monday that it was "incomprehensible" that she would have ignored an urgent warning from the CIA director that al-Qaeda was planning to attack the United States.

"I don't remember a so-called emergency meeting," Rice said in addressing several claims in State of Denial by Bob Woodward of The Washington Post. Woodward based his account on interviews with unnamed officials.

In his book, Woodward writes that George Tenet, then director of the CIA, and a senior aide, Cofer Black, held an unscheduled meeting with Rice on July 10, 2001. According to Woodward, Tenet sought the meeting because he wanted to press the new Bush administration to take action immediately against al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden to disrupt a possible attack in the USA.

McCormick said, "the information presented in this meeting was not new, rather it was a good summary from the threat reporting from previous weeks."

McCormick added that Rice aide, Phillip Zelikow, was at the National Archives on Monday going through information with the 9/11 commission.

Rice landed in Cairo today for a meeting with foreign ministers from eight pro-U.S. Arab nations. She heads later in the week to Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Rice began her week-long tour Monday in Saudi Arabia, where she dined with King Abdullah. Her trip is aimed at bolstering moderate forces in the region in the aftermath of a 34-day war between Israel and Hezbollah. The radical Lebanese militia, which has been branded a terrorist group by the United States, gained stature in the Middle East for holding its ground against Israel.

In the aftermath of the war, Arab leaders have urged the Bush administration to launch a new effort to broker a peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians. At a press conference with Rice Tuesday morning in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said that the failure to resolves this chronic dispute was "like a disease; once it hits the body, it causes other disease to attack that weakened body." He was referring to terrorism and Muslim extremism.

Rice has been dogged so far by controversy over new books depicting administration dissension and disarray in Bush's first term. She told reporters she recalled "a steady stream of quite alarmist reports of potential attacks" in July 2001, but they involved targets abroad in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Israel and possibly Jordan. "There was nothing that related to an attack in the United States," she said.

In her testimony to the 9/11 Commission, which investigated events leading up to the attacks, Rice said it was not until the following month that she recalled hearing about possible terrorist plots in the U.S. homeland. An Aug. 6, 2001, presidential daily report by the CIA was entitled "Bin Laden Determined To Strike in US." Rice did not tell the commission about any earlier warning.

Rice also challenged a claim in Woodward's book that she had difficulty getting her phone calls returned by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and that she advised President Bush to fire Rumsfeld at the end of Bush's first term because of Rumsfeld's policy mistakes in managing the war in Iraq.

"Secretary Rumsfeld has never refused to return my phone calls. This is ludicrous," Rice said.

As for Woodward's report that she wanted Rumsfeld to leave the administration, Rice said, "I did tell the president at one point that maybe all of us should go" so Bush could appoint a fresh national security team for his second term.

In the end, Bush asked only one top national security adviser to leave: Rice's predecessor as secretary of State, Colin Powell, according to a second new book. Soldier, a biography of Powell by Washington Post reporter Karen DeYoung, portrays the former Cabinet member as receiving shabby treatment from others in the Bush administration.

The book alleges Vice President Cheney's aides added unverified intelligence about Iraqi development of weapons of mass destruction to a presentation Powell made before the United Nations Security Council in the lead-up to the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. It said Powell tried to verify the information but much of what he said before the Security Council has turned out to be inaccurate. Last year, Powell called his speech a "blot" on his record of public service.

The book also says Powell was forced out of the administration even though he was willing to stay in a second term.

Asked about the portrait of Powell, Rice said: "I know the president had an open door for Colin Powell. .... He was treated not only with respect but with admiration."

FORD
10-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Kindasleazy is a pathological liar. She literally doesn't realize she's lying. I'd love to read a psychological profile on that bitch.

Nickdfresh
10-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Liberal Dupe Alert!!!!

LMAO

Believe me, if I could I'd merge all this stuff.

stringfelowhawk
10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I don't believe for a second that Colin Powell would have purposely lied to the UN. I don't buy that he was treated with respect either. I truely think he left under his own accord after he realized what they did to him with that speech and he couldn't stand to be a part of this fiasco that has followed. In this entire administration I feel he is the only honorable person who has served in any position and refused to take part in all the lies and hypocracy that followed. For that I commend him. I would vote for him if he ran for president in 08 as an independent but not if he's affiliated with either party. It's just a shame he won't run.

Condi is like Pinnochio except every time she lies the gap between her teeth gets wider. Pretty soon we're gonna be sailing aircraft carriers through her fucking pearly whites. If she bothers to come up for air, you know W. ain't worried about her dragging her teeth.