PDA

View Full Version : AMERICA needs a third Party!!!

ULTRAMAN VH
10-04-2006, 09:59 AM
A Party Without Principles

By Sebastian Mallaby
Monday, October 2, 2006; A19

After years of single-party government, the prospect of a Democratic majority in the House ought to feel refreshing. But even with Republicans collapsing in a pile of sexual sleaze, I just can't get excited. Most Democrats in Congress seem bereft of ideas or the courage to stand up for them. They clearly want power, but they have no principles to guide their use of it.

On Friday, Harry Reid, the Democratic leader in the Senate, correctly denounced a border-fence bill as a concession "to the radical anti-immigrant right wing" of the Republican Party. It's absurd to fence off 700 miles of the border and leave the other 1,300 miles open; besides, the government lacks the manpower to prevent migrants from defeating the fence with tunnels or ladders. But if blowing billions on this symbolism is a sop to right-wing nuts, why did 26 Senate Democrats vote for the bill while only 17 opposed it?

The day before the immigration vote, the majority of Senate Democrats summoned up the courage to oppose the Bush assault on the nation's traditions of justice. Of course they were right; you don't win a war of ideas by abandoning your most appealing ones. But if the Democrats had made common cause with the bill's Republican opponents, they could have filibustered the president's bill. Why vote against something and simultaneously allow it through? On an issue as basic as access to justice, can't Democrats stand on principle?

These battles dominated last week's headlines, but the Democrats' under-the-radar behavior was even more depressing. A conservative group circulated a petition calling for bipartisan talks on Social Security, with all potential solutions to be part of the discussion. Rather than embracing this eminently sane idea, top Democrats in Congress loudly slammed the door on it.

There's a long tradition of demagoguery on entitlement reform, but refusing even to discuss the challenge plumbs new depths of cynicism. A decade ago, Democratic centrists such as Sen. Bob Kerrey of Nebraska argued that runaway entitlement spending would rob the rest of the budget, draining money from social programs that liberals are supposed to care about. Today, a pragmatic Republican such as Sen. Bob Bennett of Utah can propose a progressive fix to Social Security that does not involve personal accounts. But Democrats won't come forward to support him.

In rejecting Social Security discussions last week, the Democrats painted the conservatives' petition as a Trojan horse designed to get personal accounts back onto the table. Even if that were true, since when was all mention of personal accounts taboo for Democrats? A decade ago, a majority of the appointees to Bill Clinton's Social Security commission came out in favor of personal accounts. Even the dissenting minority was open to the idea of investing Social Security funds in the stock market.

If today's Democratic leaders were even a little bit awake, they would realize that the case for Social Security reform has grown stronger since the Clinton era. It's not just that the budget outlook has deteriorated or that the squandering of a decade renders a solvency fix more urgent. A new body of research shows how the lack of reform threatens core Democratic constituencies.

Social Security benefits were designed in the 1930s to protect traditional couples. But married couples make up a declining fraction of the adult population, particularly among minorities. Since 1970 the married share of the adult population has dropped by 10 percentage points for whites, 14 percentage points for Hispanics and an astonishing 22 percentage points for African Americans. Because Social Security benefits were not designed to protect singles, these changes in family structure are driving up poverty rates among the old. In the early 1990s, 2.4 percent of married retirees lived below the poverty line, according to the Urban Institute. But fully 21.2 percent of divorced retirees were poor, and the rate among never-marrieds was 16.2 percent.

If Democrats cared about poor women and minorities, they would be clamoring to reform Social Security. But instead they get a childish gratification out of stamping their feet and refusing to discuss the subject. They can't muster the courage to block the suspension of habeas corpus. But when it comes to blocking entitlement reform, the Democrats ride out to battle.

I'm not saying that Republicans are at all better, and of course elections breed some policy timidity. But the infuriating thing about the Democrats is that, just a decade ago, they knew how to empathize with voters' economic insecurities without collapsing into irresponsibility; they combined attractively progressive social policies with sensible pro-market fiscal responsibility. Now many in the party have lost interest in this necessary balance. If the Democrats win a measure of power next month, it's hard to see what they will do with it.

smallaby@washpost.com

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Ads by Google
Google Checkout
Increase sales & process them for free - Learn about Google Checkout.
checkout.google.com/sell

LoungeMachine
10-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Too bad UltraWoman....

You guys fucked it up.

You had complete control dor 6 years, and you fucked it up.

Wars
Scandals
Sex with Boys
Congress for Sale
Lies

And now you want to pitch a bitch because you don't like who's going to take over?

Tough shit.

I hope this third party you now champion by posting this helps to keep you RePUKES out of office even longer......

Bring us more Ross Perots.

Dr. Love
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
America needs more than just one extra serious party to pick from.

LoungeMachine
10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
America needs more than just one extra serious party to pick from.

We have an extra one now?

Nickdfresh
10-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Then vote for one of the five or six existing parties...

The Democrats are far from perfect, but they're better than the spineless, lying buttwads we have now.

ULTRAMAN VH
10-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Too bad UltraWoman....

You guys fucked it up.

You had complete control dor 6 years, and you fucked it up.

Wars
Scandals
Sex with Boys
Congress for Sale
Lies

And now you want to pitch a bitch because you don't like who's going to take over?

Tough shit.

I hope this third party you now champion by posting this helps to keep you RePUKES out of office even longer......

Bring us more Ross Perots.

No, Lactation Machine, I was not bitching a fit. I was clearly stating that the NeoDemocratic far left Party will pick up the ball and run to the wrong endzone. Your Left leaning Pussy Party won't lead the Country any better than the Neo Cons have. Which means the Country is F**ked. Your party has no answers either when it comes to illegal immigration, the war, terrorism, and the list goes on and on.

Nickdfresh
10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
No, Lactation Machine, I was not bitching a fit. I was clearly stating that the NeoDemocratic far left Party will pick up the ball and run to the wrong endzone.

LOL Define "far-left." Which policies specifically can you call "far left?"

Your Left leaning Pussy Party won't lead the Country any better than the Neo Cons have.

LOL Another Neo COn chickenhawk that had a "medical condition" decries the Democrats, the party of War Veterans and the party that intensified America's involvement in most of the Wars in the 20th century...

Which means the Country is F**ked. Your party has no answers either when it comes to illegal immigration, the war, terrorism, and the list goes on and on.

Why don't you give them a chance before you claim the "country is fucked?"

Clinton did a pretty good job of governance overall.

FORD
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
No, Lactation Machine, I was not bitching a fit. I was clearly stating that the NeoDemocratic far left Party will pick up the ball and run to the wrong endzone.

You're contradicting yourself. There is no such thing as a "neo-democrat", but a "neo-liberal" is almost the same thing as a "neo-conservative". The DLC neo-liberals are indeed almost as useless as the neocon shitbags, but their days of running the Democratic party are over.

Your Left leaning Pussy Party won't lead the Country any better than the Neo Cons have. Which means the Country is F**ked. Your party has no answers either when it comes to illegal immigration, the war, terrorism, and the list goes on and on.

Actually, you have no idea what a "left leaning party" would do, because you haven't seen one in your lifetime. However, the "left leaning" party of the 1930's did a pretty damn good job of saving this country from fascism and corporatism.

And fascism and corporatism are the greatest threats to this country RIGHT NOW. Do we need another FDR? You bet your ass we do.

But this election I'll settle for the simple restoration of checks and balances mandated by the Constitution. And the only way to get there is vote the neocon shitball Repuke Chimp ass kissers out.

scamper
10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I vote for more parties!

Nickdfresh
10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Actually, you have no idea what a "left leaning party" would do, because you haven't seen one in your lifetime. However, the "left leaning" party of the 1930's did a pretty damn good job of saving this country from fascism and corporatism.

And New Deal Democrats saved the country from Communism too!

FORD
10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by scamper
I vote for more parties!

Don't do so this year.

Here's the deal.... hypothetically, if the greens get 10% of the vote in November and the Libertarians get 10%, how does that change the one party monopoly currently destroying this country?

Chimp and the neocon bastards would still have the majority, and nothing would change.

There is only ONE way to restore checks and balances to this country right now, and that's to vote Democratic in November.

I'm all for more parties being involved. But we need at LEAST a second viable party right now, to stop the fascist neocons.

scamper
10-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Don't do so this year.

Here's the deal.... hypothetically, if the greens get 10% of the vote in November and the Libertarians get 10%, how does that change the one party monopoly currently destroying this country?

Chimp and the neocon bastards would still have the majority, and nothing would change.

There is only ONE way to restore checks and balances to this country right now, and that's to vote Democratic in November.

I'm all for more parties being involved. But we need at LEAST a second viable party right now, to stop the fascist neocons.

Hopefully there will be some good people voted in, no matter what side.

Coyote
10-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by scamper
I vote for more parties!

The Wild Party? :D

DEMON CUNT
10-04-2006, 09:53 PM
More like:

America needs an education.

More OP-ED copy/paste from ULTRADOUCHE! Do you ever even bother to read the actual news stories?

LoungeMachine
10-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
More like:

America needs an education.

More OP-ED copy/paste from ULTRADOUCHE! Do you ever even bother to read the actual news stories?

Someone had to sit in for Brie and WarBOT.

This is who they sent:rolleyes:

Nitro Express
10-05-2006, 01:33 AM
The Republicans have been a disaster. The next two elections will hopefully be about stalling the Republican murder of the middle class and disolving the US into a North American/Mexican economic/political state that will be ran and controled by multinational corporations.

Nitro Express
10-05-2006, 01:35 AM
We are so damn far from fixing our problems. Right now all we can do is stall and beat back the Bilderbergs from ruining the US and using terrorism as the excuse to do it.