PDA

View Full Version : Joy Division

WARF
10-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Anyone dig the Joy Division? Ian Curtis was probably one of the most underated frontman of the late 70's and into 1980. I like their two albums, including the first warsaw the rocking of the three. I even enjoy the post Curtis album from New Order "Movement" and it's dark edge sounds more like a Joy Division album... before they became a cheesy synth pop going into the mid 80's... when they became sorta hit or miss... under Barnard whose voice isn't quite as good as Curtis... and of course the amazing melodic Bass of Peter Hook became buried under the cheesy beats.

Anyone else like these bands... or the early material?

FORD
10-05-2006, 08:20 PM
I like pretty much everything they did up to the end of the 80's. I even bought Peter Hook's "Revenge" CD during the brief New Order breakup. After that though, they seemed to go too far into the techno thing for my tastes.

WARF
10-05-2006, 08:20 PM
This thread wouldn't be complete without some live JD.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtT53Sa1fp8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtT53Sa1fp8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ONE OF THEIR BEST... digital

WARF
10-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Here's when the band was totally COKED OUT in November 81' NYC!
They were still pretty cool at this point... before they tured gay around 85'.... look at the band members rubbin' their noses every few seconds... and the keyboard chick is high as fuck! In the DVD you can see her do a line off the keyboard! lol

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcZrTQr-F7U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcZrTQr-F7U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
10-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Horrendous.

WARF
10-05-2006, 08:49 PM
You were probably buyin' their albums on vinyl when you a little kid sesh!

You know it!!

Seshmeister
10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
My first single I bought was Greased Lightning when it was in the charts.

I stand by that.:)

I have always hated Joy Derision. Maybe it's because I was around at the time.

I don't get it. Maybe it's better than some of the shit you grew up with but it's still shit.

Cheers!

:gulp:

WARF
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I think this forum is pretty damn boring, when a megadeth or metallica thread comes up every 5 minutes.

DrMaddVibe
10-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Like their stuff.

I even like some of the newer stuff..."Crystal" is an amazing song that gets played in some clubs I go to.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QxcuCADYLYI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QxcuCADYLYI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jérôme Frenchise
10-06-2006, 02:11 AM
I have "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer" too.
I've also got "Substance", a collection of tracks from the 1977-80 which also includes a few alternate takes of tunes tha tare on the 2 albums. You find their first single, "Warsaw", "Leaders of Men" or a very big one called "No love lost".
I really recommend "Substance". :cool:
I also have "The complete BBC recordings", recorded on Jan. 31st, Sept. 1st and Nov. 26th 1979, including a dozen-minute interview of Ian Curtis and Stephen Morris.
I've got "Still" too. It's a 20-track live record that notably includes tunes I really dig, like "The Kill", "Ceremony" and an onstage take of "Means to an end". The rest is worth it as well.
Finally, I have "Preston 28 February 1980", which is particularly gloomy.
All these records are official releases.

As for New Order, well, I never could dig it, except a couple of songs from around 1983.

Whenever I listen to Joy Division, it's because I'm down and fucked up - helps me going further down. :D

Seshmeister
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Shocking admissions...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Shocking admissions...

How're you doing, Sesh?

I like Joy Division's stuff, but I can understand why one may hate it.

At the same period there was Bauhaus who did comparable music, though less sinister.
I don't dig the cult of personality around Ian Curtis. Just have a look at the comments on their songs on YouTube... Sick!
All right; the dude had a huge voice and wrote great tunes (you can say you don't like them, but can't deny they've got something strong and unique), but he was a heroin addict who hung himself at the age of 22... Those people who worship him do so for fucking sick reasons. :cool:

Terry
10-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Had spent some time in the UK in the late 1980s, and was introduced to the band (New Order) and their music by a friend of mine, who had been pretty heavily into Joy Division when they were around as well, and what I heard of it never did much for me. A few grooves and bits here and there perked my ears, but not enough...

Had Substance in my collection for a long time, but ended up chucking it away because I just wasn't listening to it anymore.

Terry
10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Think it may have had to do with the timing of it, as New Order had a single out called True Faith, I believe...and, overall, I just didn't care much for a lot of the stuff coming out across the board far as music went from about 1987 to 1991.

Still don't.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Had Substance in my collection for a long time, but ended up chucking it away because I just wasn't listening to it anymore.

This particular record, "Substance", is the kind of stuff that shouldn't ever be chucked away, by any means. Just IMO. :cool:

Terry
10-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
This particular record, "Substance", is the kind of stuff that shouldn't ever be chucked away, by any means. Just IMO. :cool:

Got pitched because basically it was just getting moved around from place to place by me without any play for about 15 years...

Comes a time when enough's enough and you gotta jettison extraneous gear, luv;)

Jérôme Frenchise
10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Comes a time when enough's enough and you gotta jettison extraneous gear, luv;)

It's precisely what I never could do... I can't even throw an empty matchbox away, so a record, you imagine... :)

Mr. Vengeance
10-08-2006, 07:46 PM
They sucked royal donkey dick, just like all the other faggy syntho-euro-faggo bands from that era.

Mr. Vengeance
10-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I mean, why don't we just get a fucking Bronski Beat appreciation thread going now.....

FORD
10-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Bronski Beat were so gay they made Erasure look like a heavy metal band.

binnie
10-09-2006, 03:12 AM
I have to be in the right mood, but their stuff is unique, and very influencial.

"love will tear us apart" is a masterpiece, a timeless classic!

Never got into New Order though....

Seshmeister
10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I mean, why don't we just get a fucking Bronski Beat appreciation thread going now.....

EXACTLY!

This is the gayest thread here since Jesterstar stopped posting...

binnie
10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Joy Division weren't really synth-POP in my eyes, they were more of an arthouse band led by a manic depressive.

I can see that they're not for everyone, but I can't see how anyone can deny that they were pretty original at the time....

Jérôme Frenchise
10-09-2006, 05:09 PM
They sucked royal donkey dick, just like all the other faggy syntho-euro-faggo bands from that era.

Let's not just mistake Joy Division for New Order, first off. Nothing comparable, really.
JD was led by the bass, the guitar, which wasn't exceptional, followed up and the "sovietic" drums were just there.
The voice, that I can understand can be loathed, haunted the whole of it. Save for a few synth-polluted tunes, JD's music was basically in-your-face, uncompromising rock.

The Brownie Weenie ain't got a fucking speck of shit to do with it.
That said, there's that bloody morbid side that sooner or later becomes a real bore. :cool: