PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Discover Gigantic 'Monster' Fossil

Matt White
10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/scientists-discover-gigantic-monster/20061005120409990026?ncid=NWS00010000000001

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0c/01/20061006095309990015An artist's rendition shows a "monster" fish-like reptile whose fossil turned up on the island of Spitsbergen, off Norway, about 800 miles from the North Pole.

OSLO (Oct. 6) - Scientists have found a fossil of a "Monster" fish-like reptile in a 150 million-year-old Jurassic graveyard on an Arctic island off Norway.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0a/06/20061006095509990001The fossil sits in a 150-million-year-old Jurassic graveyard called "one of the most important new sites for marine reptiles" found in the last few decades.

The Norwegian researchers discovered remains of a total of 28 plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs -- top marine predators when dinosaurs dominated on land -- at a site on the island of Spitsbergen, about 800 miles from the North Pole.

"One of them was this gigantic monster, with vertebrae the size of dinner plates and teeth the size of cucumbers," Joern Hurum, an assistant professor at the University of Oslo, told Reuters on Thursday.

"We believe the skeleton is intact and that it's about 33 feet long," he told Reuters of the pliosaur, a type of plesiosaur with a short neck and massive skull. The team dubbed the specimen "The Monster."

Such pliosaurs are known from remains in countries including Britain and Argentina but no complete skeleton has been found, he said. The skull of the pliosaur -- perhaps a distant relative to Scotland's mythical Loch Ness monster -- was among the biggest on record.

Scientists would return next year to try to excavate the entire fossil, buried on a hillside.

Plesiosaurs, which swam with two sets of flippers, often preyed on smaller dolphin-like ichthyosaurs. All went extinct when the dinosaurs vanished 65 million years ago.

The scientists rated the fossil graveyard "one of the most important new sites for marine reptiles to have been discovered in the last several decades."

"It is rare to find so many fossils in the same place -- carcasses are food for other animals and usually get torn apart," Hurum said.

Hurum reckoned the reptiles had not all died at the same time in some Jurassic-era cataclysm but had died over thousands of years in the same area, then become preserved in what was apparently a deep layer of black mud on the seabed.

At that time, the area of Spitsbergen under water several hundred miles further south, around the latitude of Anchorage or Oslo.

Hurum said the presence of fossils was also an interesting pointer for geologists hunting for oil and gas deposits in the Barents Sea to the east. "A skull we found even smells of petrol," he said.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/07/04/20060829100309990020The dinosaur weighed nine tons and stretched about 40 feet long. It lived about 80 million years ago.

Ally_Kat
10-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0c/01/20061006095309990015

The skull of the pliosaur -- perhaps a distant relative to Scotland's mythical Loch Ness monster -- was among the biggest on record.

I nearly spit tea all over my monitor because when I saw the drawing, I thought, "heh, looks like the Loch Ness monster."

Matt White
10-06-2006, 06:08 PM
HA!!!

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I never understood sending Shuttles into SPACE...when the OCEAN is so Unexplored......

They have very little idea what lives way down there........

Warham
10-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Absolutely, Matt.

There's so much pressure five miles down, the only thing that can get down that far without imploding are certain kinds of cameras, but I'm not even sure that the ocean floor that far down has been captured on film. I know that man has only been able to go down about half that so far, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, there's absolutely no light down there. All the fish have huge eyes just to capture any kind of light in their retinas.

Matt White
10-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Absolutely, Matt.

There's so much pressure five miles down, the only thing that can get down that far without imploding are certain kinds of cameras, but I'm not even sure that the ocean floor that far down has been captured on film. I know that man has only been able to go down about 3,000 feet so far. Plus, there's absolutely no light down there. All the fish have huge eyes just to capture any kind of light in their retinas.

Scientist aren't completely sure how WHALES are able to dive to such a great depth...and breath with the tremendous pressure upon their lungs.....
I'd be so much more interested & willing to see tax dollars spent in greater exploration of the ocean than space............

Matt White
10-06-2006, 06:17 PM
GRATE Av by the way WAR...............

Warham
10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Shit, I used to have a hard time diving down to the bottom of our pool when I was younger, and that was 8' deep. I couldn't imagine how some of these divers get down a few hundred feet without their lungs being permanently damaged.

rustoffa
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Scientist aren't completely sure how WHALES are able to dive to such a great depth...and breath with the tremendous pressure upon their lungs.....
I'd be so much more interested & willing to see tax dollars spent in greater exploration of the ocean than space............

They're not completely sure if a Great White sleeps. Give 'em time....some dipshit 'ell fabricate a pressure withstanding marvel of technology. I'm thinking the North Atlantic proving grounds. Consumed with what seem to be recordings of running water underneath the floor of the ocean, they'll freakthefuck out, loosely tie unproved theories to the myth of global warming, and start probing around with another DEVICE.

Next thing you know, Oppenheimer ain't around, and a frigid Tsunami wipes out Greenland.

FUCK!!!!

I got a screenplay in progress!!!!
:D

Soul Reaper
10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
any relation to the 'giant camel'?!