PDA

View Full Version : Stupid laws....

Ellyllions
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Here's a fun idea...just to educate ourselves and each other let's post some of the dumbest shit laws that are still enforceable in our states and even on the federal level.

I'm not a stickler for proof like the mods are so if you just know of one or two but can't remember where you read it, that's fine for posting as far as I'm concerned.

And I know a few of you will make light of all of this, and that's ok too. It's good to have a laugh at things so stupid. Some will be controversial though....and therein lies the real fun.

Victimless crimes:
I think laws that prohibit or punish victimless crimes are a waste of taxpayers money.

Suicide: Punishable by law and why?
Prostituion: Why is this illegal?

It is illegal in one Midwestern state to transport a whale across state lines in a train boxcar. Yes it happened once, and yes the train derailed.

It is illegal in another MidWestern state to take a cow up in a hot air balloon. Yes it did happen once, and yes the cow got spooked and jumped out landing on a circus tent full of people.

It is still illegal in Kentucky not to bathe at least once a month. NO JOKE (unless they've removed it in the last 2 years)

It is illegal not to have working windshield wipers in Tennessee but it's not illegal not to have a windshield. (Huh?)

It is still illegal to spit on the sidewalks in many cities across the country.

Ellyllions
10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I would delete one of these threads, but I keep getting the "you don't have permission" page...so mods.....?

ELVIS
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Alabama

Certain acts prohibited on Sunday.

Any person who compels his child, apprentice or servant to perform any labor on Sunday, except the customary domestic duties of daily necessity or comfort, or works of charity or who engages in shooting, hunting, gaming, card playing or racing on that day, or who, being a merchant or shopkeeper, druggist excepted, keeps open store on Sunday, shall be fined not less than $10.00 nor more than $100.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail, or sentenced to hard labor for the county, for not more than three months. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to the operation of railroads, airlines, bus lines, communications, public utilities or steamboats or other vessels navigating the waters of this state, or to any manufacturing establishment which is required to be kept in constant operation, or to the sale of gasoline or other motor fuels or motor oils. Nor shall this section prohibit the sale of newspapers, or the operation of newsstands, or automobile repair shops, florist shops, fruit stands, ice cream shops or parlors, lunch stands or restaurants, delicatessens or plants engaged in the manufacture or sale of ice; provided, that such business establishments are not operated in conjunction with some other kind or type of business which is prohibited by this section. It shall also be lawful to engage in motorcycle and automobile racing on Sunday, whether admission is charged or not; except, that this proviso shall not be construed to prevent any municipality from passing ordinances prohibiting such racing on Sunday.

:elvis:

knuckleboner
10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Suicide: Punishable by law and why?

i think attempted suicide is the crime, not the suicide itself. and i believe the rationale there is pretty decent. oftentimes, people attempting suicide are in need of help. many have chemical imbalances or clinical depression, or some other treatable condition. however, it's very difficult to hold somebody against their will on the basis of mental health. so, they make attempted suicide a crime. therefore, we CAN hold you. but rather than being placed into the jail pending your trial, they place you in a mental health facility. and my guess is that there's no actual convictions.

but as for stupid laws: i'll go with the no liquor on sundays. either go completely dry or assume that it's no worse selling liquor on sunday (than on tuesday.

virginia's sodomy laws (like a lot of states) was pretty solid, too. technically, the only permissible sex was missionary with your married spouse. everything else was considered illegal.

and they wonder why people want to drink on sundays...)

Ellyllions
10-11-2006, 12:59 PM
While I understand why attempted suicide is a crime in it's rationale, I've worked enough suicides and attempted suicides to garner a pretty stern indignation for anyone who attempts or succeeds.

We shouldn't be trying to protect people against themselves. And that's as far as I'll go on the subject of suicide.

ELVIS
10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
We shouldn't be trying to protect people against themselves.

I dunno about that...

FORD
10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Stupid laws?

Any law passed by the Federal Government of the United States after January 20, 2001.

bastardog
10-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Here we have a stupid law that prohibit any store to be open sundays other than 11:00am - 5:00pm. Drug stores and gas stations can be open 24hrs but some products can't be on sale....so those stores just block access to some things.

My question is why a store can't be open a whole sunday if wants. why not better close the stores on monday.......normally the working people (like me) don't have time during the week to buy stuff......and then the assholes in the gov. block you half weekend so you have to be stuck on big lines on saturdays and part of sundays.

FORD
10-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by bastardog
Here we have a stupid law that prohibit any store to be open sundays other than 11:00am - 5:00pm. Drug stores and gas stations can be open 24hrs but some products can't be on sale....so those stores just block access to some things.

My question is why a store can't be open a whole sunday if wants. why not better close the stores on monday.......normally the working people (like me) don't have time during the week to buy stuff......and then the assholes in the gov. block you half weekend so you have to be stuck on big lines on saturdays and part of sundays.

It wasn't that long ago that 11:00 - 5:00 on a Sunday was typical business hours, and that's for the businesses that were open at all. A lot of them remained closed on Sunday period, because they didn't think they would make enough money to stay open with everyone in church.

In retrospect, I think it was a great idea and we should go back to it. There's a lot to be said for everyone taking a "sabbath day" whether they go to church or not. Less pollution, less gas and electrcity being used, etc.

bastardog
10-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
It wasn't that long ago that 11:00 - 5:00 on a Sunday was typical business hours, and that's for the businesses that were open at all. A lot of them remained closed on Sunday period, because they didn't think they would make enough money to stay open with everyone in church.

In retrospect, I think it was a great idea and we should go back to it. There's a lot to be said for everyone taking a "sabbath day" whether they go to church or not. Less pollution, less gas and electrcity being used, etc.

Maybe if you have the time to go to buy your stuff on the week days it will surelly works.........
but if not then you are confined to just buy your stuff (lets say food) on weekends. The thing is that most of the stores also close around 5-7 pm so at least the gov. should force them to open more time on the week or delete the closing law on sundays

FORD
10-11-2006, 03:51 PM
The stores close at 7PM during the week?

OK, now THAT is fucking stupid. Most grocery stores around here are open 24 hours.

knuckleboner
10-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Less pollution, less gas and electrcity being used, etc.

but causing more pollution, traffic, gas & elecricity use on the other 6 days of the week. assuming demand doesn't change, people will just shift their purchases to the other days.

bastardog
10-11-2006, 05:16 PM
The stores close at 7PM during the week?

OK, now THAT is fucking stupid. Most grocery stores around here are open 24 hours.
That's the reason for it to be a stupid law....
Just Wallmart is open until midnight and they haven't the best prices on all...