PDA

View Full Version : guys can we get some .SHN's?

Dave's PA Rental
01-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I hate to sound like a snob here, but I want "ZERO" in non-MP#3 source. .SHN's are "loseless" audio format (no data loss in the compression) and sound A MILLION times better than MP3's. Each song is 40-50 Megabites instead of 4-5 Mb. I know, I know, the bandwidth issue, but that is why they invented "bit torrents".

Sarge
01-07-2004, 08:33 PM
what is bit torrents?

Seshmeister
01-07-2004, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath Daves PA.

Every time Sarge, Von, Cato, Mr Walker or myself put something up it costs us money.

The first time the zero demo was available at this site it was downloaded over 300 times.

You do the math.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
01-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
what is bit torrents?

As I understand it it's a fairly new peer to peer technology.

Basically everyone downloads off of each other simultaneously.

So you put up a video, I start to download it, A downloads it off of me while I'm still downloading it from you and C downloads it off of you, me and A all simultaneously. Everyone shares their bandwidth and it all happens much quicker and cheaper than if you were all downloading off of the same server.

It's used at some Kazaa type sites especially for illegally downloading movies and stuff.

I definitely wouldn't advise setting it up if this was the MetallicaArmy.com...:)

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
01-07-2004, 09:37 PM
That post was the closest I ever want to get to a GAR post...:)

Dave's PA Rental
01-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Sesh...you are right, thats how the bit torrent works. You have to download a free client software app, then one person hosts the files for a few days while the "torrent" starts.

Instead of Mp3 garbage, people are using a "lossless" format (no data is lost in the compression of the file, ALL the data is restored in the extraction) called .shn (stands for SHorteN audio format). They sound 100 times better than Mp3's. Each bootleg is usually about 500 Mb.

Sarge, im going to PM you with some further info...

stone88
02-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Thank god someone else is wanting to trade .shn files. I used to have a Black Crowes FTP server and all I traded were .shn files. It's a great way to trade or share cd's, not mp3's.

Hopefully in the future i'll have time to start up a Van Halen FTP server with all .shn files. There's a few boots I need and havn't had the time to locate.

gruvenman
03-30-2004, 09:27 PM
First post! I would agree. I have downloaded a lot of Dave Matthews Band and Pearl Jam concerts via Bit Torrent. They require a 'tracker' to work properly, and someone to host "seed" the file initially, but once you get going, it's awesome. If anyone is interested how it works, I can list two sites I visit for those, where one is strictly a tracker. I dont know how the mods here feel about links, but they would demonstrate how it is. I personally have downloaded quite a few 2+gb DMB compilations, and some 800mb-1gb Pearl Jam concerts.

I downloaded a concert from Pearl Jam that I originally had on MP3, and once i converted the .shn and burned it, I listened to the first 5 songs on the same stereo, and the .shn was much more crisp and clear, maybe even too clear, as I could hear the crowd better too :)

Bit Torrent is definately the only way to do this, as the bandwith is much larger. a typical concert could be only 85mb in MP3, but 900mb in .shn or .flac (another lossless format which Nero v6.0 has native support for).
-g

gruvenman
03-30-2004, 10:02 PM
as a matter of fact...... on one such site, there is this:
Van Halen: Philadelphia July 20th & 21st, 1981 both nights FLAC

:) I have the torrent coming down right now....
-g

baddchadd
05-05-2004, 09:48 PM
hey if you want a easy lossless file format use itunes free to download and you can convert any song to apple lossless

ctiger2
08-17-2004, 07:40 AM
I would suggest anyone wishing to share a Van Halen show just post it to www.sharingthegroove.org. Then post a link in these forums to the thread in sharingthegroove that has the torrent file. SHN and FLAC's are the way to go when trading material like this. It may seem like a daunting task but it's super easy once you get the hang of it. The groove hosts DVD's as well.

MP3's are garbage.