PDA

View Full Version : Lidle dies as plane crashes into Manhattan high-rise

DrMaddVibe
10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Updated: Oct. 11, 2006, 4:53 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Lidle dies as plane crashes into Manhattan high-rise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- A small plane piloted by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, killing at least four people, authorities said.

Lidle died in the crash.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center -- with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

Large crowds gathered in the street in the largely wealthy New York neighborhood, with many people in tears and some trying to reach loved ones by cell phone.

"I was worried the building would explode, so I got out of there fast," said Lori Claymont, who fled an adjoining building in sweatpants.

Young May Cha, a 23-year-old Cornell University medical student, said she was walking back from the grocery store down 72nd Street when she saw an object out of the corner of her eye.

"I just saw something come across the sky and crash into that building," she said. Cha said there appeared to be smoke coming from behind the aircraft, and "it looked like it was flying erraticaly for the short time that I saw it."

"The explosion was very small. I was not threatened for my life," she added.

Richard Drutman, a professional photographer who lives on the 11th floor, said he was talking on the telephone when he felt the building shake.

"There was a huge explosion. I looked out my window and saw what appeared to be pieces of wings, on fire, falling from the sky," Drutman said. He and his girlfriend quickly evacuated the building.

The plane left New Jersey's Teterboro Airport, just across the Hudson River from the city, at 2:30 p.m., about 15 minutes before the crash, according to officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport. But they said they did not where the aircraft was headed.

FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said the plane was apparently not in contact with air traffic controllers; pilots flying small planes by sight are not required to be in contact.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team to investigate.

Former NTSB director Jim Hall said in a telephone interview he doesn't understand how a plane could get so close to a New York City building after Sept. 11.

"We're under a high alert and you would assume that if something like this happened, people would have known about it before it occurred, not after," Hall said.

Mystery writer Carol Higgins Clark, daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark, lives on the 38th floor and was coming home in a cab when she saw the smoke.

"Thank goodness I wasn't at my apartment writing at the time," she said. She described the building's residents as a mix of actors, doctors, lawyers, writers and people with second homes.

Sgt. Claudette Hutchinson, a spokeswoman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado Springs, Colo., said fighter jets "are airborne over numerous U.S. cities and while every indication is that this is an accident, we see this as a prudent measure at this time."

However, all three New York City-area airports continued to operate normally, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said. In Washington, White House spokesman Tony Fratto said neither President Bush nor Vice President Dick Cheney was moved to secure locations.

"All indications are that is an unfortunate accident," said Yolanda Clark, a spokeswoman for Homeland Security's Transportation Security Administration. She said there was "no specific or credible intelligence suggesting an imminent threat to the homeland, at this time."

The crash struck fear in a city devastated by the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Sirens echoed across the neighborhood as about 170 firefighters rushed in along with emergency workers and ambulances. Broken glass and debris were strewn around the neighborhood.

"There's a sense of helplessness," said Sandy Teller, watching from his apartment a block away. "Cots and gurneys, waiting. It's a mess."

The tower was built in the late 1980s and is situated near Sotheby's auction house. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Several lower floors are occupied by doctors and administrative offices, as well as guest facilities for family members of patients at the Hospital for Special Surgery, hospital spokeswoman Phyllis Fisher said.

No patients were in the high-rise building and operations at the hospital a block away were not affected, Fisher said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Maybe he was suicidal from the Tigers loss????

:confused:

bastardog
10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
suicide after the loss? or before been trade?

POJO_Risin
10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
When I first read the article...and saw that it turned into the building...that's the first thing that I thought...

but will hold judgement until we find out more...

the fact that there was more than 1 passenger aboard leads me to believe that not to be the case...

either way...sad...

Nickdfresh
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
From what they said, after the banking turn, there's no way he saw it until his cockpit windshield filled with building...

DrMaddVibe
10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
http://www.nbc10.com/news/10053834/detail.html#

Eyes of the Night
10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
The first thing I thought was yeah "those single engine cesnas will getcha every time" ...

But to be banking a left turn and being "filled with building" it had nothin to do with the engine ...

Dave's PA Rental
10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
After listening to that Mike and The Mad Dog interview that I posted a link for the other day, I also instantly wondered if it was suicide...

But not for long. A sad, sad day. I feel for his family.

Bob_R
10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Sad. :(

Bob_R
10-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
After listening to that Mike and The Mad Dog interview that I posted a link for the other day, I also instantly wondered if it was suicide...

But not for long. A sad, sad day. I feel for his family.

What link PA?

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Dave's PA Rental
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

scroll down to October 9..."Chris and Mike talked to Yankees Pitcher Cory Lidle"

theicecreamman
10-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Does anyone know what the make and model the plane was?

Bob_R
10-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by theicecreamman
Does anyone know what the make and model the plane was?

Single-engine, Cirrus SR20.

Sammy Who??
10-12-2006, 02:23 PM
RIP Cory Lidle.

WARF
10-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Fuck Cory Lidle!

That motherfucker made me lose in the fantasy playoffs.. with his fucking baloon ERA and WHIP!!

FUCK YOU COREY LIDLE!!!
YOU FUCKING TALIBAN 9/11 WANNABE!!!! :mad2:

:lookie: :rockit:

Sammy Who??
10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by WARF
Fuck Cory Lidle!

That motherfucker made me lose in the fantasy playoffs.. with his fucking baloon ERA and WHIP!!

FUCK YOU COREY LIDLE!!!

wow you're even a bigger douchebag than I thought.

bastardog
10-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by WARF
Fuck Cory Lidle!

FUCK YOU COREY LIDLE!!!

At least you don't have to worry about having him on any other future league.

Imagine your self in front of your TV waiting for the first time, in like 20 year, that the Mets reach the 2 round in the playoff .....and a fucking Yankee crash his plane in you....
those yankees know how to be in the top news over the Mets...lossing or even dying

Little Texan
10-13-2006, 02:18 PM
That flight instructor must have worked for al Qaida. If not, then I can't say much for his flight instruction, leading the guy to fly his plane right into the side of a Manhattan high rise! What was he even doing flying his plane around in downtown Manhattan, anyway? I thought that was a no fly zone after what happened on 9/11? Says alot about our "tightened" security when someone can just hop in a plane and fly around in a big city, unabaited. You know this is going to give those terrorists some ideas.

Full Bug
10-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm surprised FORD hasnt pointed this out... It's been a few days now, but the building that Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle's plane hit in New York City did not collapse.... I was sure the 911 Commission stated that steel now melts from fire... Something is very wrong here!
:p

bastardog
10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
well......the plane isn't the same size, so there isn't the same amount of fuel neither.

BITEYOASS
10-18-2006, 05:32 PM
They need to put the entire Yankees Organizaton on suicide watch every time the Tigers kick they're asses.

bastardog
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I think Pedro Martinez is going to do the Lidle act if the Cardinals win their series....... just that he will try to do it in a boat.

Bob_R
10-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
I'm surprised FORD hasnt pointed this out... It's been a few days now, but the building that Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle's plane hit in New York City did not collapse.... I was sure the 911 Commission stated that steel now melts from fire... Something is very wrong here!
:p

It was a cement/brick building dude.

No steel structured building before or since 911 has collasped due to fire fyi.

Bob_R
10-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
They need to put the entire Yankees Organizaton on suicide watch every time the Tigers kick they're asses.

It was the first time the teams ever met in the playoffs jackass.

Full Bug
10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
It was a cement/brick building dude.

No steel structured building before or since 911 has collasped due to fire fyi.
Ummm, I was joking eh....

Full Bug
10-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Yankees pitcher Lidle mourned at service
Oct 18

COVINA, Calif. - Three small planes flew over mourners at a memorial Tuesday for Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle, an emotional reminder to his family, friends and teammates that he died doing something he loved.

Following Lidle's funeral, hundreds of mourners did something else he enjoyed; they sat down to a luncheon of In-N-Out burgers, his favorite fast food.

The 34-year-old pitcher and his flight instructor, Tyler Stanger, were killed last Wednesday when Lidle's plane crashed into a Manhattan high-rise during an aerial tour of the city.

"Everybody was doing fine until the planes went over," Randy Wolf, Lidle's former teammate on the Philadelphia Phillies, said after the funeral.

Emotions ran high among hundreds of mourners during a 45-minute outdoor service. Men wiped away tears from behind dark glasses, and knots of family members shared long embraces near Lidle's gray casket, which was flanked by large color photos of the pitcher. Several people wore buttons with a photo of Lidle pitching and the words, "Forever in our hearts."

Near the conclusion of the service, dark gray clouds gave way to pockets of sunny, blue skies — perfect flying weather.

"I was one guy who would have gone up with him," said Phillies catcher Mike Lieberthal, whose plan to fly with Lidle during spring training never came off.

"It's just crazy to believe how something like that could happen," he said later at the reception where mourners gathered to laugh, cry and swap stories.

Lidle's wife, Melanie, briefly came out to thank those who had helped since her husband's death. After thanking her sister, Brandie Peters, and the Yankees and Major League Baseball, she dissolved into heaving sobs and was helped away.

The couple's 6-year-old son, Christopher, had hugged his mother during the service.

Among those at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Lidle's hometown were Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson and a contingent of Yankees: captain Derek Jeter, former high school teammate Jason Giambi, Jaret Wright, manager Joe Torre and general manager Brian Cashman.

"The nice thing was the way his family and friends spoke of him," Jackson said afterward. "It makes you reflect and appreciate life. He touched a lot of lives."

Jeter added: "It's rough. I feel for the family. I played with him a short time, but it didn't take long to see what kind of person he was."

Since Lidle's death, Torre said he has replayed the same image in his mind from New York's loss to Detroit in the AL division series.

"I go out to the mound and gave him the ball and I went out to the mound and took the ball away for the last time," Torre said. "We play a game and we think how important it is until you face something like this."

Also there were Oakland pitcher Barry Zito, Philadelphia players Pat Burrell and Chase Utley and former Yankees pitcher Aaron Small, who attended South Hills High in Covina with Lidle and Giambi.

"He had a zest for life. It was exciting to be around him," said Giambi, who lives a few blocks from the site of Lidle's crash.

Lidle had been a licensed pilot for less than a year. The 26-year-old Stanger was a veteran pilot and teacher who ran a tiny flight school in the San Gabriel Valley east of Los Angeles. Investigators have not determined the cause of the crash or who was at the controls.

At the reception at Faith Community Church in West Covina, family and friends lined up outside a semitrailer for burgers from In-N-Out, the iconic, family owned Southern California chain.

"He was always bugging me to get him an endorsement," said Jordan Feagan, Lidle's agent and friend of 14 years.

During the service, family and friends mostly recalled Lidle's life away from baseball.

"Cory would have been so amazed at all the people here who admired him," said Peters, Melanie's sister. "He was a loving husband and an awesome father."

Two of Lidle's longtime friends, Paul Felberg and Warren Reed, took turns speaking, calling him by his nickname "Snacks," a reference to the pitcher's habit of devouring candy between innings.

"We were more like the `Goonies' than the entourage of studs you would expect him to be with," Felberg said.

Both men promised Melanie Lidle they would always look after her and the couple's son.

Small, the former Yankees pitcher, had been friends with Lidle and his twin brother, Kevin, since age 9. His father, Art, presided over the funeral.

"If there was a baseball game being played, me and Cory and Kevin were in it," the younger Small said, his voice breaking. "Cory was more than a friend. He was like a little brother to me."

Lidle pitched for seven teams during his nearly 10 years in the major leagues, posting an 82-72 record with a 4.57 ERA. He came to the Yankees in July, traded from Philadelphia, where he had signed a $6.3 million, two-year deal in November 2004.

Stanger's survivors include his pregnant wife, Stephanie, and an infant daughter. A service for Stanger is set for Saturday.

Lidle's family requested that donations be made to Stanger's family.

BITEYOASS
10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
It was the first time the teams ever met in the playoffs jackass.

I know that, but you have to admit that a team like the Yankees, whose current lineup thinks they are invicible because of the whole lengendary aura of greatness, lose to a team which a few years ago had the worst MLB W-L record of all time. Has to be a big blow to ones confidence.