PDA

View Full Version : GOP Leaders Seek Probe of Berger Papers

DrMaddVibe
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Oct 11 2:25 PM US/Eastern

By ERICA WERNER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

A group of House Republicans called Wednesday for a congressional investigation into the improper handling of classified documents by President Clinton's national security adviser, Sandy Berger.
Berger admitted last year that he deliberately took classified documents out of the National Archives in 2003 and destroyed some of them at his office. He pleaded guilty in federal court to one charge of unauthorized removal and retention of classified material and was fined $50,000.

Ten lawmakers led by House Armed Services Chairman Duncan Hunter, R- Calif., and Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., released a letter calling for the House Government Reform Committee to investigate.

They asked the committee to determine whether any documents were missing from Clinton administration terrorism records, to review security measures for classified documents and to seek testimony from Berger.

Hunter's spokesman, Joe Kasper, said the Justice Department had asked Congress to hold off on any oversight until the legal case concluded.

"It's important that the House conduct its own review to ensure there is a clear understanding of the facts, and sensitive and highly classified security information is not potentially compromised in the future," Kasper said.

Berger's lawyer, Lanny Breuer, did not immediately return a call for comment. A spokesman for the Government Reform Committee said the panel was reviewing the letter.

At issue is a strange sequence of events in which Berger admitted to sneaking classified documents out of the National Archives in his suit, later destroying some of them and then lying about it. The Bush administration disclosed the investigation in July 2004, just days before the Sept. 11 commission issued its final report.

During Berger's sentencing hearing Breuer characterized Berger as eager to get the facts of the Sept. 11 attacks right when he took the material, which contained information relating to terror threats in the United States during the 2000 millennium celebration.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Nickdfresh
10-11-2006, 07:15 PM
LMFAOL!!:D

And in other News, Republicans seek to investigate the failed defense of Pearl Harbor by the Roosevelt administration!

Dr. Love
10-12-2006, 01:16 AM
So last year he admitted doing this 3 years ago ... and now they want to investigate?

LoungeMachine
10-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Better hurry.....

Less than 3 weeks until Christmas

Warham
10-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Better hurry.....

Less than 3 weeks until Christmas

Yeah, how did Fitzmas turn out for you, Lounge? Did you get those lumps of coal you were asking for?

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Yeah, how did Fitzmas turn out for you, Lounge? Did you get those lumps of coal you were asking for?

Why don't comment on the actual thread topic? C'mon War, it's the "liberals" that are supposed to be the negative attackers, yet I've counted three threads in a row where you basically just: insulted another poster/poster's comments. cited a supposedly equivalent Democratic scandal, or just have done your typical Google & "no it isn't" dance, while completely ignoring the topic of the thread...

Pretty pathetic.

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
So last year he admitted doing this 3 years ago ... and now they want to investigate?

Doc, that's the best enormously large sig I've ever seen!

LoungeMachine
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Why don't comment on the actual thread topic? C'mon War, it's the "liberals" that are supposed to be the negative attackers, yet I've counted three threads in a row where you basically just: insulted another poster/poster's comments. cited a supposedly equivalent Democratic scandal, or just have done your typical Google & "no it isn't" dance, while completely ignoring the topic of the thread...

Pretty pathetic.

And pretty typical.

He has nothing to offer.

Biggest hypocrite here.:rolleyes:

Warham
10-13-2006, 05:14 PM

Pretty pathetic.

You want me to comment on Sandy Berger sticking briefs in his pants? Does this even need a reply?

What's good is that I've gotten under your skin, apparently. :)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm on warham's side on this one. He gets enough shit flung at him regularly that he's got every right to fling it back now and then.

besides, dont YOU want to know what was so sensitive about those papers that berger would attempt to steal them on the eve of the 9/11 commission?

This is beyond a partisan thing. If Ken Mehlman were outted as being gay, FORD and whatnot would have a shitfit about it, and, lets face it, this is a MUCH more important matter.

Dr. Love
10-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Doc, that's the best enormously large sig I've ever seen!

Thanks! Unfortunately it's no longer ginormous.

FORD
10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Thanks! Unfortunately it's no longer ginormous.

No, but now it's twice as annoying.

Especially at work! Geezus, you could have put a warning label on that shit at least.

Now everyone thinks I'm playing fucking video games in here again.

Warham
10-13-2006, 06:00 PM
lmao!

Funny, Doc. :)

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 07:08 PM
You want me to comment on Sandy Berger sticking briefs in his pants? Does this even need a reply?

What's good is that I've gotten under your skin, apparently. :)

Actually, that's not the gist of the article, and you know it.

Warham
10-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, so what's wrong with them investigating this more thoroughly? Better late than never I always say.

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, so what's wrong with them investigating this more thoroughly? Better late than never I always say.

Yeah, it's better to make themselves look like a bunch of jokes and hacks.

Warham
10-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah, it's better to make themselves look like a bunch of jokes and hacks.

So which documents did Berger steal and destroy which indicted the Clinton administration, Nick?

I know you think Clinton handled everything regarding terrorism masterfully, but that's not reality.

Dr. Love
10-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by FORD
No, but now it's twice as annoying.

Especially at work! Geezus, you could have put a warning label on that shit at least.

Now everyone thinks I'm playing fucking video games in here again.

What, did you want me to make it play an mp3 to warn you?

Nickdfresh
10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
So which documents did Berger steal and destroy which indicted the Clinton administration, Nick?

He stole no documents, he removed notes that he attached. Still a violation since they probably contained classified info derived from the documents.

I know you think Clinton handled everything regarding terrorism masterfully, but that's not reality.

Why don't you find the post where I say just that?

And this is ancient history that noboby cares about except for about the most extreme 5% of the American population, since it's only been three years...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-14-2006, 06:35 PM

And this is ancient history that noboby cares about except for about the most extreme 5% of the American population, since it's only been three years...

Really? Then why did he feel the need to steal them?

There was something on those documents, and something important. I lay the blame for 9/11 SQUARELY on the administratio that was in power when it happened, but that doesn't mean that whatever he stole and burned didn't have relevance too.

Nickdfresh
10-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Really? Then why did he feel the need to steal them?

There was something on those documents, and something important. I lay the blame for 9/11 SQUARELY on the administratio that was in power when it happened, but that doesn't mean that whatever he stole and burned didn't have relevance too.

I never said they didn't, nor have I ever defended his actions that day.

I think the theory is that he was essentially doing legal research and preparing for his own defense and the public perception of his post-9/11 "legacy."

It's been three years, if it wasn't important enough to investigate three years ago, then shame on them...

DEMON CUNT
10-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Warham (R -Partisan Hack)
Better late than never I always say.

Unless it's Republicans that are being investigated.

I don't believe anyone here claimed that Clinton did a "masterful" job of anything. He did however, make several attempts to kill or cature Bin Laden.

Unlike Bush who chose to completely fucking ignore Bin Laden pre-911. It happened right under his nose.

http://www.despardes.com/oscartango/bush-911-1024160.jpg

CARD: "America is under attack."

BUSH: "OK, I'll sit here and read with the kids."