View Full Version : Steve Lyons fired by FOX

POJO_Risin
10-14-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm not going to get into it...

but he's a moron...

Lyons fired for comments about Piniella's heritage
Oct. 14, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT -- Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League Championship Series.

Advertisement

The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday's comments. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.

"Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate," network spokesman Dan Bell said.

Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella.

A call to Lyons' cell phone was not immediately returned Saturday.

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.

Piniella, approached before Saturday's Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: "No, he's not here today."

This was not a first-time offense for Lyons, nicknamed "Psycho" during his nine-year big league career as a utilityman that ended in 1993 with the Boston Red Sox.

Hired when Fox began broadcasting baseball in 1996, Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.

The network apologized for Lyons' remarks at the time.

Lyons, 46, was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBI for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal. He was a first-round draft pick by the Red Sox, 19th overall, in 1981.

Brett
10-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Stupid fucker, he made some anti-semitic comment (that of course he didn't think was) when Shawn Green took off for Yom Kippur as a Dodger during the pennant race, a few years ago. Not the first time he's been a moron.

POJO_Risin
10-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah...

he said he didn't want to sit close to Pinella because he didn't "understand him," and that he still "couldn't find his wallet..."

lmfao...

moron...

Brett
10-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Stupid fucker.

Unchainme
10-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Stupid fucker, he made some anti-semitic comment (that of course he didn't think was) when Shawn Green took off for Yom Kippur as a Dodger during the pennant race, a few years ago. Not the first time he's been a moron.

what did he say?

POJO_Risin
10-14-2006, 05:57 PM
read the posts...lmfao...

Unchainme
10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
read the posts...lmfao...

No..I meant what did he say that was anti-semetic..

Eyes of the Night
10-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I don't see why he got fired though ... hardly anti-semetic IMO ... Lyons is a goofball I agree ...

WARF
10-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
I don't see why he got fired though ... hardly anti-semetic IMO ... Lyons is a goofball I agree ...

Your an idiot.

He was fired about his comments about the spick... not the kike!

Eyes of the Night
10-14-2006, 07:25 PM
No, I didn't see why it was enough to bag Lyons ...

WARF
10-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Ummm... I was being sarcastic.

He basically made fun of his hertiage,

He also indirectly said he might have lost his wallet because he's hispanic.

You don't think that is uncalled for??

Unchainme
10-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by WARF
Your an idiot.

He was fired about his comments about the spick... not the kike!

WARF...

Clean out your pm box...

WARF
10-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Cleaned...

Brett
10-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
No..I meant what did he say that was anti-semetic..

He wasn't fired for that, just suspended, he has history of running his big mouth that's what I meant.

I barely remember what it was, something like Shawn Green is putting his own religious beliefs above his teammates and winning a championship, or something like that. Why not just celebrate it himself another day...something stupid like that. He's an asshole.

sadaist
10-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Anyone remember what finally got Howard Cossell fired? Something along the lines of "look at that monkey run"?

As for Lyons, although inappropriate, not all that bad. Christ, Madden says shit all the time.

Brett
10-14-2006, 07:58 PM
John Madden makes racist comments? He might be senile, but I've never heard him make a racially charged comment on the air.

Dave's PA Rental
10-14-2006, 08:01 PM
I heard him say it to Pinella...I immediately thought to myself, "What a useless fuck Steve Lyons is. How the hell does he manage to keep his job?"

Dave's PA Rental
10-14-2006, 08:05 PM
I was half asleep when I heard it and I was like..."Did Steve Lyons just jestfully suggest that Lou Pinella might have stolen his wallet?" I don't care if he was kidding...good ridance.

POJO_Risin
10-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah...lmfao...and I think there was more going on there...because it was either yesterday or the day before that Lyons actually made a comment about his suspension...

indeedido
10-14-2006, 08:52 PM
So sensitive. Lou commented about "finding a wallet on Friday". All Lyons did was add to it. So it is ok for Lou to comment about it and act like the hispanic guys on the field found/stole a wallet, but Lyons can't say it about Lou? Fuck get a life. Everyone is way to sensitive these days. Get over yourself.

POJO_Risin
10-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh who fucking cares...jesus christ...

Lyons is a fucking moron...and they've more than likely been trying to get rid of him for a couple of years...

who gives a shit...

BITEYOASS
10-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Hell they should have gotten Ernie Harwell or Al Kaline instead of that Lyons fuck or maybe Mickey Lolich, who has done broadcasting work with the Lansing Lugnuts. At least Lyons could still get a broadcasting job with Fox News! :D

BITEYOASS
10-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Hell I forgot to mention Sparky Anderson.

BITEYOASS
10-14-2006, 09:40 PM
So what if he got fired from WKRP:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQIO9xFBKJw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQIO9xFBKJw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
10-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Typical FAUX employee. Maybe he'll move to their "news" division. They don't mind racist assholes over there.

It never even fucking occurred to me that Lou Piniella was Hispanic the entire time he managed the Mariners. Hell, if I had to guess, I probably would have thought he was Italian. :confused:

Brett
10-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Steve Lyons was actually a Dodger color guy during road trips where Vin Scully stays home. He does not go on the big East Coast trips anymore.

So he and Charlie Steiner call the road TV games, and it will be a welcome sight to not hear him next year. Moron.

EbDawson
10-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Anyone remember what finally got Howard Cossell fired? Something along the lines of "look at that monkey run"?

Cosell was never fired, though he took some heat for that comment about Alvin Garret of the Redskins I believe. You may be thinking about Jimmy The Greek.

Brett
10-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Jimmy The Greek and his "The blaack is the better athalete" comment that got him fired from CBS.

Sorry trying to do phoentic Jimmy The Greek speak.

diamondD
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Jimmy's exact words were "The black is the better athlete. And he practices to be the better athlete, and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes way back to the slave period. The slave owner would breed this big black with this big black woman so he could have a big black kid. That's where it all started."

What a dumbass. LOL

But I gotta admit, for the most part, I've never been impressed with the knowledge of most baseball announcers.

Sammy Who??
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
what about josh lewin aka "the Jolly Jew"?

he was lyons' partner did they shitcan him as well. he's a bore.