PDA

View Full Version : FBI Searches GOP daughter's House

LoungeMachine
10-16-2006, 08:59 PM
F.B.I. Searches Home of Congressman’s Daughter

By DAVID JOHNSTON
Published: October 16, 2006

WASHINGTON, Oct. 16 — Federal agents executed search warrants today at the homes of Representative Curt Weldon’s daughter and a longtime political associate in an investigation into whether Mr. Weldon, a Republican from Pennsylvania, improperly aided their efforts to obtain lobbying and public relations contracts, law enforcement officials said.

F.B.I. agents searched four homes and other locations in the vicinity of Philadelphia and two other sites near Jacksonville, Fla., as the part of the inquiry. Debbie Weierman, a spokeswoman for the bureau’s Washington office, confirmed the searches, but would not say why the locations were searched.

Mr. Weldon’s residence and his Congressional office were not among the locations that were examined, but other law enforcement officials said Mr. Weldon was the subject of a growing corruption inquiry. Affidavits citing why agents wanted to carry out the searches were sealed.

Mr. Weldon was first elected to his district on the outskirts of Philadelphia in 1984 and is vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. He is in a close re-election race against Joseph Sestak, a Democrat who is a former three-star admiral and national security aide in the Clinton White House.

Mr. Weldon said today that the investigation was politically motivated and that the disclosure of the inquiry, in news accounts in recent days, was suspect.

““What I find ironic, if there is an investigation, is that no one would tell me until three weeks before the election,” Mr. Weldon said, according to The Associated Press.

Law enforcement officials said the investigation of Mr. Weldon had been under way for several months. The officials said authorities did not confirm the existence of the investigation or conduct the searches, until after news organizations learned of it. It is not known how McClatchy Newspapers, which first reported the inquiry on Saturday, learned of it.

Today, a spokesman for Mr. Weldon’s campaign, Pete Peterson, said he had no comment on the matter and referred calls to Mr. Weldon’s Washington office. Mr. Weldon’s campaign manager, Michael Puppio Jr., and his chief of staff in Washington, Russ Caso, did not return messages seeking comment.

Mr. Weldon has at times gotten into disagreements with the Bush administration. He maintained that a secret military unit known as “Able Danger” successfully used sophisticated data mining techniques to tie several of the Sept. 11 hijackers to Al Qaeda more than a year before the 2001 attacks. A report by the Pentagon disputed that contention.

The searches for financial records, internal documents and computer messages took place at the home of Mr. Weldon’s daughter, Karen, and at the home of Charles P. Sexton Jr., Ms. Weldon’s business partner and a friend of the lawmaker.

A search was also conducted at the office of Solutions North America/Solutions Worldwide, a company run by Ms. Weldon and Mr. Sexton, in Media, Pa.

Another of the searches in Florida was conducted at the office of a Russian natural gas company, the Itera International Energy Corporation, which has hired Solutions North America for public relations assistance in the United States.

The precise allegations of wrongdoing that led to the inquiry of Mr. Weldon are not known at this point. Investigators are seeking to determine whether Mr. Weldon misused his official position to help his daughter’s company obtain lobbying contracts from foreign clients and helped steer contracts to favored companies, officials said.

In his comments today, Mr. Weldon said that he did not give his daughter any special assistance and that the House Ethics Committee had looked into his daughter’s contracts after they were the subject of an article in The Los Angeles Times in February 2004. Mr. Weldon said he had cooperated with the inquiry and had turned over 150 pages of documents and answered the panel’s questions.

Kate Zernike contributed reporting.

DEMON CUNT
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
...but Clinton...but Clinton...but Clinton...

There, I saved BigBland and MsSaddBawls a few hours work and any potential ownings they may endure as a result.

ELVIS
10-16-2006, 09:14 PM
First of all...

NO LINK NO LINK NO LINK

Off with LoungeDick's head!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Airelle should be reading this...

But seriously folks...

““What I find ironic, if there is an investigation, is that no one would tell me until three weeks before the election,” Mr. Weldon said, according to The Associated Press.

Like he had no idea...:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
10-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

...............other law enforcement officials said Mr. Weldon was the subject of a growing corruption inquiry.

Imagine my surprise.....:D

LoungeMachine
10-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
First of all...

NO LINK NO LINK NO LINK

Off with LoungeDick's head!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Airelle should be reading this...

But seriously folks...

Like he had no idea...:rolleyes:

:lol:

ELVIS
10-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Made ya look...;)

DEMON CUNT
10-16-2006, 10:04 PM
This is clearly a conspiracy to make Republicans look iike a bunch of crooks & child fuckers right before the election.

As if if the Republicans needed help looking iike a bunch of crooks & child fuckers right before the election.

Warham
10-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
This is clearly a conspiracy to make Republicans look iike a bunch of crooks & child fuckers right before the election.

As if if the Republicans needed help looking iike a bunch of crooks & child fuckers right before the election.

Don't worry. The Republicans haven't used all their cards in their hand yet.

Dingy Harry was the first card they turned up.

DEMON CUNT
10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Warham

I am not worried because the card game that the Republicans are playing is called Go Fish.

Got scandal? Nope.

Nickdfresh
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
It's great that Republicans know about all this corruption, yet sit on it until right before the election...

I would think that would be another ethical scandal actually.

BTW, let me know when a Democrat (aside from Jefferson, who was dumped in short order) is actually indicted with charges that even approach the current numbers of GOP congressmen falling...

FORD
10-17-2006, 11:07 PM

Dingy Harry was the first card they turned up.

More like the ONLY card they could turn up. And it's nothing compared to the shit the Republicans are being busted for.

But that's OK... take Harry Reid down, and guess who you'll have for Senate Majority leader....

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2004/03/08/300hillary.jpg

(Hell, it least that would knock her out of the 2008 race. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad.)

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
They actually have to show law violations for Reid. The only "shit that sticks" are questionable ethical discrepancies, ones that hardly what can be termed corruption.

Warham
10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
BTW, let me know when a Democrat (aside from Jefferson, who was dumped in short order) is actually indicted with charges that even approach the current numbers of GOP congressmen falling...

Why is Jefferson still serving then?

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Why didn't Ney resign despite the fact he's an admitted felon?

And Jefferson, if he's still serving, has been thrown off every committee and has yet to be tried...

Warham
10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I see a double standard here.

Jefferson, who actually committed an unethical act refuses to resign, but yet every Democrat is pushing for Hastert to resign, when he may or may not have been holding back e-mails from prying eyes. This is after Foley resigned already. So Dems want a 2 for 1 when their own guy is still sitting there collecting a paycheck.

Nice! I won't even bring up other Democrats in Congress.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I see a double standard here.

Jefferson, who actually committed an unethical act refuses to resign,

He "refuses" to resign, he's been as pariah to Democrats since he had his balls in a noose!

Pelosi move triggers revolt
By Josephine Hearn

Furious black lawmakers, rallying behind Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.), were pulled back from the brink of open revolt against House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in an emergency meeting with her Wednesday evening.

The meeting with a handful of CBC members was called after Pelosi wrote the embattled lawmaker, who is at the center of a massive bribery scandal, a curt note requesting his immediate resignation from the powerful Ways and Means Committee.

Outraged that one of its members was being picked on even though he has not been charged with a crime, the Congressional Black Caucus had intended to issue a defiant statement against their leader but agreed after the meeting to pause, at least briefly, for reflection.

Earlier this week, Pelosi approached Jefferson and told him that she thought he should resign, according to a Democratic aide. Later, at the Democratic caucus meeting yesterday morning, she took him into a side room and told him that she had prepared a letter calling on him to resign the committee seat and that she would allow him one hour to withdraw gracefully before she sent it, according to the aide. In both instances, Jefferson remained defiant.

Yeah, Democrats are sure backing Jefferson! :rolleyes:

BTW, the Republicans also "defended" Jefferson along side Pelosi:

...WASHINGTON (CNN) (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/24/jefferson/index.html?section=cnn_topstories) -- Though no one actually defended embattled Rep. William Jefferson, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi joined House Republicans on Wednesday in expressing outrage over the FBI's recent search of the congressman's legislative office.

Pelosi, D-California, and House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, released a joint statement Wednesday saying that the FBI should immediately return all documents it "unconstitutionally seized" Saturday from Jefferson's office....

but yet every Democrat is pushing for Hastert to resign, when he may or may not have been holding back e-mails from prying eyes. This is after Foley resigned already. So Dems want a 2 for 1 when their own guy is still sitting there collecting a paycheck.

And yet every Republican (well, actually a few are scorning his corrupt cover ups of a gay sex predator) is claiming he should stay, despite the majority of Americans saying he should resign...

Nice! I won't even bring up other Democrats in Congress. [/B]

Because you can't! Go ahead, be my guest!!

Warham
10-18-2006, 06:40 PM
No, they didn't 'defend' Jefferson. They were going after the FBI for an illegal seizure of documents when it really wasn't illegal. I was pissed they even did that.

Well, when Hassert has been put under a probe, let me know. I'll wait until he's indicted before I pass judgement.

Kennedy comes to mind as somebody who's committed THE most unethical act yet still gets a paycheck every month. Being from Massachusetts didn't hurt him too much.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
No, they didn't 'defend' Jefferson. They were going after the FBI for an illegal seizure of documents when it really wasn't illegal. I was pissed they even did that.

Well, when Hassert has been put under a probe, let me know. I'll wait until he's indicted before I pass judgement.

So his aides coming out and saying that he knew about this shit for years isn't enough? He's not being asked to resign from congress, just from his leadership post. And that seems fitting since he has shown none...

Kennedy comes to mind as somebody who's committed THE most unethical act yet still gets a paycheck every month. Being from Massachusetts didn't hurt him too much.

Oh, look at the Neocon reach back and dig up ancient history! Maybe you can tell us all why Teddy never went to jail for that?

And he did pay the price, much like Hastert will. Kennedy would have been President had it not been for Chapaquitic. He was never as smart as JFK or RFK, but he was in fact a much better politician...

Warham
10-18-2006, 06:53 PM
I will agree with you that Kennedy was/is a better politician than his two brothers, and he may have indeed been president if not for that incident. Damn, we actually agree on something!

RFK would have been the best president out of any of them, if he hadn't been killed. Too damn bad that happened.

Hastert won't ever run for President, so the only thing that might happen is that he's not re-elected.