PDA

View Full Version : 10 US Servicemen die to "Stay the Course."

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 10:03 AM
October 18, 2006
10 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Iraq
By JOHN O’NEIL

Ten American soldiers were killed on Tuesday, the military announced today, bringing October’s death toll for United States forces to 68.

Four of the soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb west of Baghdad, and three others died in fighting in Diyala province, a troubled area northeast of the capital where sectarian violence has run high.

A Marine was killed by insurgents in Anbar province, the western region where the Sunni insurgency is centered, and two soldiers were killed in Baghdad, one by insurgent gunfire and one by a roadside bomb.

In addition to the American casualties, the Iraqi chief of intelligence for Maysan province in the south died along with four of his bodyguards when his car touched off a bomb planted on a highway.

Sunni and Shiite leaders in Balad met to investigate the fate of more than 40 people who are still missing after being kidnapped at a checkpoint outside the city on Sunday, according to The Associated Press. More than 60 people died in mass sectarian attacks over the weekend.

If the current rate of almost four fatalities a day continues, October will be the third deadliest month for the American forces since the war began, according to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count, an independent web site that tracks war-related deaths and injuries.

Previous spikes in fatalities coincided with major American offensives against entrenched guerilla fighters. In November 2004, when an offensive was conducted against the Sunni stronghold of Fallujah, 137 American troops were killed; in April 2004, when an earlier assault on that city was carried out, 135 died.

American military officials have given two explanations for the recent increase in casualties, which has come despite improvements in armor protection for soldiers and their vehicles: the rise in violence that usually accompanies the Muslim month of Ramadan, and the more aggressive approach American forces have taken to patrolling the capital.

The higher levels of engagement represent a change from American thinking at the start of the year, when commanders planned to pull their troops back from the fighting as Iraqi forces took on more responsibility.

That remains the administration’s long-term exit strategy. But the dilemma of commanders seeking to keep violence under control while nurturing the independence of the Iraqi forces was underscored by the slaughter in Balad, which abated only after American soldiers moved into the city and resumed joint patrols. Control of the area had been handed over to the Iraqi Fourth Army a month ago.

The A.P. reported today that Shiite militants have blocked food and fuel trucks from entering the predominantly Sunni town of Duluiyah, on Balad’s outskirts, where the killing of 14 kidnapped Shiites on Friday touched off the weekend’s violence.

Sunnis continued to flee Balad, which has a Shiite majority, in small boats, the A.P. said.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/18/world/middleeast/18cnd-iraq.html?hp&ex=1161230400&en=bb38adeda13fc742&ei=5094&partner=homepage)

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
George Bush, covering up the stench of his failure with flag draped coffins...

FORD
10-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
George Bush, covering up the stench of his failure with flag draped coffins...

....which he refuses to allow to be photographed or shown on TV.

Nitro Express
10-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Wheres the protests? Nobody seems to raise hell in Washington DC anymore. Have we gotten that pessimistic? Or does the new terrorist security laws ban us from doing so?

I find it all kind of scary.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
No draft...

Protests died with the draft, which is why Nixon ended it in 73.' And also why the idea of a national draft is an anathema to current politicians, --why the Republicans made such a big bullshit vote on Rangel's Bill as the political demogogery-centerpiece to their war in Iraq in order to gain support, and to insure soccer moms that little johnny wouldn't be drafted. It is also why John McCain will never win the Presidency, because he advocates a bigger commitment in Iraq, and hence a draft of personnel to fill the billets of new combat troops of which he envisions --which currently do no exist...

ELVIS
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
You can hear from all three of the protestors right here on the Army...

ELVIS
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
John McCain will win if Hillary runs...

LoungeMachine
10-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Of course all ELVIRA will be interested in is "how many insurgents died"

As long as these 10 took more than 10 enemies with them, it's okay in his book.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
John McCain will win if Hillary runs...

LMAO! The first debate (Hillary): John, please articulate what you would do in Iraq?

(John): I plan on winning it by increasing the number of forces there to the levels required to insure complete pacification!

(Hillary): Whom are you going to send?

(John): **long silence**

LMAFO, yeah, sell that one...

If that's the case, Hillary will be the first female President...

ELVIS
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
No, but I hope they took alot more than that...

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 05:17 PM
What??

ELVIS
10-18-2006, 05:18 PM
What ??

Did you say Hillary was female ??

LoungeMachine
10-18-2006, 05:19 PM
What ??

Did you say Hillary was female ??

More gender confusion for Capt. Bedpan :rolleyes:

Warham
10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
What's Hillary's plan for Iraq, Nick?

Warham
10-18-2006, 05:47 PM
If that's the case, Hillary will be the first female President...

Unfortunately for liberals, it'll never happen! Just ask FORD!

:)

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Warham
What's Hillary's plan for Iraq, Nick?

I don't know? Does it matter at this point?

What's your candidates plan for Iraq?

Warham
10-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't know? Does it matter at this point?

What's your candidates plan for Iraq?

Well, you made it appear that Hillary has a better plan than McCain. Let's hear it!

I'll let you know my candidate's plan in another year or so.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately for liberals, it'll never happen! Just ask FORD!

:)

Duh, me Warham, me still make dumb jokes.

Nice stichk, so how's that fucking moronic "Neoconservative" you elected doing? the one that laughs at the "Christian fundamentalist" superstitious sheep who mindlessly supply him with votes, yet never seem to realize their political goals?

Warham
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Duh, me Warham, me still make dumb jokes.

Nice stichk, so how's that fucking moronic "Neoconservative" you elected doing? the one that laughs at the "Christian fundamentalist" superstitious sheep who mindlessly supply him with votes, yet never seem to realize their political goals?

How's he doing? Why does it matter, Nick? He's not up for re-election. You and your fellow libs can rant about him for the next two years instead of worrying about who's running in '08. Leave that to us!

I think Bush has followed through on his promises to the Christian folks who voted for him. Two conservative SC justices, etc.

ELVIS
10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Blah blah blah...

it's the political bullshit like this that's losing the war in Iraq...

I do say however...

Either escalate it with devastating force or come home...

There's no middle ground...

LoungeMachine
10-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Blah blah blah...

it's the political bullshit like this that's losing the war in Iraq...

I do say however...

Alright.....

Who hacked ELVIS' account in here?

ELVIS
10-18-2006, 07:38 PM
:D

LoungeMachine
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Seriously.....

At least one Neo-Con in here is facing reality....

If after 3 years we still can't secure the road to and from the airport, let alone fucking BAGHDAD.........

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
How's he doing? Why does it matter, Nick? He's not up for re-election. You and your fellow libs can rant about him for the next two years instead of worrying about who's running in '08. Leave that to us!

I think Bush has followed through on his promises to the Christian folks who voted for him. Two conservative SC justices, etc.

Two moderately conservative justices apparently. After all, they did vote for Eminent Domain. ;)

And you know as well as I that Bush faces a serious threat of Impeachment if the Democrats take both Houses, which I don't think they will; but it could happen...

LoungeMachine
10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Actually WarPIG is on the record as saying the Repukes hold BOTH houses, I believe.....

FORD
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
No draft...

Protests died with the draft, which is why Nixon ended it in 73.' And also why the idea of a national draft is an anathema to current politicians, --why the Republicans made such a big bullshit vote on Rangel's Bill as the political demogogery-centerpiece to their war in Iraq in order to gain support, and to insure soccer moms that little johnny wouldn't be drafted. It is also why John McCain will never win the Presidency, because he advocates a bigger commitment in Iraq, and hence a draft of personnel to fill the billets of new combat troops of which he envisions --which currently do no exist...

A draft would certainly add numbers to the protest movement, but the truth is that there have been protests all the time. Even yesterday, there was a protest of the torture bill outside the White House which was planned as soon as it was known that Chimpy would sign that horrific piece of shit.

Unfortunately, the whore media refuses to cover the protest, just as they refuse to cover the flag draped coffins, or for most part, the military funerals.

Coverage of protests was a big part of how the media helped end the Vietnam war, and that is precisely why they have been ordered NOT to cover this one.

Even during the record setting protests before the Iraq invasion when literally millions of people took the streets world wide at the same time, the media whores mentioned as little as they could get away with and grossly underestimated the crowd numbers.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Ford, the protest numbers don't draw a fraction of the anti-War demonstrations during Vietnam, not yet anyways...

Warham
10-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Two moderately conservative justices apparently. After all, they did vote for Eminent Domain. ;)

And you know as well as I that Bush faces a serious threat of Impeachment if the Democrats take both Houses, which I don't think they will; but it could happen...

It'll never happen. You need 66 votes in the Senate for the President to actually be convicted. Even in the best case scenario, the Dems may hold 52 seats after this year.

Bush will make it through unscathed.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
"Unscathed?" Um, LOL, he's been nothing but scathed recently, and even not so recently. He may survive, but a lot of Republicans have turned on him, with more waiting until the elections are over to do so reportedly...

FORD
10-18-2006, 09:08 PM
It'll never happen. You need 66 votes in the Senate for the President to actually be convicted. Even in the best case scenario, the Dems may hold 52 seats after this year.

You don't think a few Republicans would cross over?

Chimp is hurting the Republican party. Even some of the hate radio hosts admit it. If a Democratic majority gets the ball rolling on Chimpeachment, I think you'll be surprised how many Republicans cross the isle for it. Most likely the Senators up for election in 2008, who will need to prove that they are not in lock step with the BCE, especially after the Republican defeat of 2006.

LoungeMachine
10-18-2006, 09:25 PM

Jesus H:rolleyes:

Has it come to this?

Is that how low the bar has been set?

Pretty sad actually, as an American Voter/Taxpayer :(

DEMON CUNT
10-18-2006, 09:38 PM

And people wonder how Germany fell for Hitler's rhetoric.

It is because people like Warhead follow without question or reason.

DEMON CUNT
10-18-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/images/david_miller/Hitler-Speech.jpg

Warham
10-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
And people wonder how Germany fell for Hitler's rhetoric.

It is because people like Warhead follow without question or reason.

I've questioned Bush several times over the last few years on several different issues, but that doesn't mean that I completely fall off the wagon and become a Democrat.

Your Bush/Hitler comparisons are laughable.

Warham
10-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Jesus H:rolleyes:

Has it come to this?

Is that how low the bar has been set?

Pretty sad actually, as an American Voter/Taxpayer :(

No, it's how the system works.

What charges are they going to bring Bush up on anyway?

DEMON CUNT
10-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I've questioned Bush several times over the last few years on several different issues, but that doesn't mean that I completely fall off the wagon and become a Democrat.

Your Bush/Hitler comparisons are laughable.

Not really.

Your support for this feckless and greedy administraion is frightening.

Warham
10-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by FORD
You don't think a few Republicans would cross over?

Chimp is hurting the Republican party. Even some of the hate radio hosts admit it. If a Democratic majority gets the ball rolling on Chimpeachment, I think you'll be surprised how many Republicans cross the isle for it. Most likely the Senators up for election in 2008, who will need to prove that they are not in lock step with the BCE, especially after the Republican defeat of 2006.

No Republicans will cross over, FORD. In fact, I think it would be Democrats crossing over and voting against it. It's political suicide to go through with that during a time of war.

It's a popular topic on the internet, and that's where it'll stay.

Warham
10-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Not really.

Your support for this feckless and greedy administraion is frightening.

Yeah, really.

I support conservatives, which are usually Republicans. If a Democrat were actually a conservative, I'd support him as well. But I haven't seen one of those, so that won't happen any time soon.

Bush hasn't always been 'conservative', especially with the spending, but the alternative candidates were poor both election years.

FORD
10-19-2006, 12:52 AM
No Republicans will cross over, FORD.

You probably said that in 1973 too......

Republicans love coverups, as the Pedopholey scandal proves (not to mention the Ney scandal, the Jack 'Off scandal, the DeLay Scandal, the Puke Cunningham scandal, etc)

But eventually, too many scandals, or too big of one, such as the complete and total failure of a war based on lies, will over-ride the ability to coverup and then the self-preservation instinct will kick in.

The Republican party of the 1970's didn't want to die over Watergate. And the Republican party of today (if they have any goddamned sense left) won't let a moronic unelected Chimp and his Treasonous PNAC pals fuck their chances of being a majority party for another 40 years.

So you better hope I'm right. But in this case, I'd be happy to be wrong. :D

ELVIS
10-19-2006, 01:01 AM
You're wrong because unfortunately, most people's memories are not as good as yours...

Same thing goes regarding the war with Islam, oh wait, that's not what this war is, right ??

Are we still in a war ??

Exactly...

FORD
10-19-2006, 01:10 AM
You're wrong because unfortunately, most people's memories are not as good as yours...

Same thing goes regarding the war with Islam, oh wait, that's not what this war is, right ??

Are we still in a war ??

Exactly...

War with Islam?? Who told you that?

Not even Chimpy or Cheney ever used those words. In fact Monkey Boy even went out of his way to call Islam a "beautiful" religion and hold Ramadan celebrations at the White House.

ELVIS
10-19-2006, 01:18 AM
That was a disappointment...

Ok, Militant Islam...

Militant Islam is now seen as a complex political movement but it's goal is still to kill you and me...

Keep on saying terra-ist...

DEMON CUNT
10-19-2006, 01:46 AM
I support conservatives, which are usually Republicans. If a Democrat were actually a conservative, I'd support him as well. But I haven't seen one of those, so that won't happen any time soon.

Bush hasn't always been 'conservative', especially with the spending, but the alternative candidates were poor both election years.

Whatever, dude.

That is a bunch of neocon lip service bullshit.

That spending you pretend to disapprove of is war spending. All that money and our soldiers still don't have the equipment they need.

You really should volunteer for duty in Iraq. I urge you to sign up tomorrow.

FORD
10-19-2006, 01:47 AM
And what is Militant "Christianity's" goal?

DEMON CUNT
10-19-2006, 01:53 AM
And what is Militant "Christianity's" goal?

Corporate profit$!

ELVIS
10-19-2006, 02:06 AM
No such thing...

FORD
10-19-2006, 02:19 AM
No such thing...

Guess you haven't seen "Jesus Camp" yet?

I honestly hope your church doesn't preach that "domionist" crap, because THAT is the militant "christianity" and it's a doctrine that will send people to Hell in a handbasket, as Jesus said in Matthew 25.

The BCE is trying to turn the US MILITARY into a "Christian" (dominionist) entity.

What the Hell is THAT about?

Nitro Express
10-19-2006, 02:33 AM
I'm done with the Republican Party. They had a great opportunity to do what they promised us and they not only didn't reduce govt. spending and corruption but increased it to record levels. Not to mention the dangerouse errosion of our Constitutional rights. It's not just the Bush Administration but the whole Republican Party has demonstrated they are not morally or eithically capable of holding power anymore.

I'm done with them. They have done so much damage I'm willing to vote for Democrats just to break the Republican hold on power. We need to get the current bunch out of there.

I would like to see a third party be a seriouse contender. This next election will be interesting.

ELVIS
10-19-2006, 02:51 AM
Guess you haven't seen "Jesus Camp" yet?

I honestly hope your church doesn't preach that "domionist" crap, because THAT is the militant "christianity" and it's a doctrine that will send people to Hell in a handbasket, as Jesus said in Matthew 25.

The BCE is trying to turn the US MILITARY into a "Christian" (dominionist) entity.

What the Hell is THAT about?

I don't know, and I guess not, as I'm not familiar at all with what you're talking about...

And I'm skeptable as well...

Nickdfresh
10-19-2006, 03:25 AM
No Republicans will cross over, FORD. In fact, I think it would be Democrats crossing over and voting against it. It's political suicide to go through with that during a time of war.

It's a popular topic on the internet, and that's where it'll stay.

Yeah, uhhuh...

Republicans have grown increasingly rebellious and dissatisfied with this feckless administration.

Well see where the investigations take us. It's a whole new ball game, no one to cover for chimpy anymore...

FORD
10-19-2006, 03:38 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RNfL6IVWCE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RNfL6IVWCE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Militant "Christianity" indoctrination

ELVIS
10-19-2006, 03:43 AM
I see your point, but that edited video was just plain silly...

FORD
10-19-2006, 03:56 AM
I see your point, but that edited video was just plain silly...

It's an official trailer. So of course it's edited. But that doesn't change what you did see...

You saw a crazy fat bitch babbling about children being used in the same way the Palestinians and Muslims allegedly use them.

You saw that same insane cunt screaming "This is WAR" while her indoctrinated puppets danced around in camoflauge and warpaint playing with spears.

You saw a 9 year old kid talking about war and armegeddon, and claiming he was "saved" before he could have even possibly read and comprehended a Bible.

How would seeing the rest of the movie change the TOTAL FUCKING INSANITY of the people you just saw?

BigBadBrian
10-19-2006, 06:33 AM

Agreed.

Enough with these silly little patrols through the streets of the Iraqi cities.

The US Military was designed to destroy the enemy in an expedient, brutal fashion.

:gulp:

Warham
10-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Whatever, dude.

That is a bunch of neocon lip service bullshit.

That spending you pretend to disapprove of is war spending. All that money and our soldiers still don't have the equipment they need.

You really should volunteer for duty in Iraq. I urge you to sign up tomorrow.

I know you've run out of arguments, but I'll answer it anyway...

It's not 'neocon' lip service at all. The problem with you is that you like to just shove every conservative into this 'neocon' group. Most conservatives don't know or care about 'neocons' or their 'evil agenda'. They vote for conservatives running for office. Period.

Also, I do not disapprove of war spending. I disapprove of all the pork spending that gets in those bills. I fully support the billions necessary to fight the War.

Warham
10-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Yeah, uhhuh...

Republicans have grown increasingly rebellious and dissatisfied with this feckless administration.

Well see where the investigations take us. It's a whole new ball game, no one to cover for chimpy anymore...

Are we holding a competition here to see how many times the word 'feckless' can be used in a thread?

You guys haven't even won anything yet and you're slavering all over impeaching Bush.

Warham
10-19-2006, 07:58 AM
It's an official trailer. So of course it's edited. But that doesn't change what you did see...

You saw a crazy fat bitch babbling about children being used in the same way the Palestinians and Muslims allegedly use them.

You saw that same insane cunt screaming "This is WAR" while her indoctrinated puppets danced around in camoflauge and warpaint playing with spears.

You saw a 9 year old kid talking about war and armegeddon, and claiming he was "saved" before he could have even possibly read and comprehended a Bible.

How would seeing the rest of the movie change the TOTAL FUCKING INSANITY of the people you just saw?

FORD, there's militant nuts in every religion/philosophy. That doesn't mean that everyone that practices that religion/philosophy are militant.

You claim that most muslims are peaceful. Why aren't you showing the same respect for people of your own philosophy, and painting with such a large brush?

DEMON CUNT
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM

It's not 'neocon' lip service at all. The problem with you is that you like to just shove every conservative into this 'neocon' group. Most conservatives don't know or care about 'neocons' or their 'evil agenda'. They vote for conservatives running for office. Period.

Also, I do not disapprove of war spending. I disapprove of all the pork spending that gets in those bills. I fully support the billions necessary to fight the War.

Nope. Plenty of argument for your simple-minded talking points because that is all you dummies have.

You regurgitate what you have already heard without giving it much thought. (Such as Clinton = 666, ha ha!)

The standard conservative line when confronted for that creepy devotion to a megalomaniac of a war criminal is "well, um, he spends too much and stuff."

Nice try, but your Hannity-esque bullshit don't fly here.

Feel free to point me to any fucking thread where you criticized the President!

Nickdfresh
10-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Are we still in a war ??

Exactly...

You gotta love the eternal conflict mentality. Elvis can only define himself by what he is not, and what religion he's is at "War" with...

Nickdfresh
10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Agreed.

Enough with these silly little patrols through the streets of the Iraqi cities.

The US Military was designed to destroy the enemy in an expedient, brutal fashion.

:gulp:

Listen to armchair general...

The only problem is that we're fighting an intractable insurgency with no fun tanks to shoot at. This is precisely what the short-staffed Army cannot do well.

Nickdfresh
10-19-2006, 09:59 PM

So even though you continually defend nearly every facet and policy of this administration, you're not a neo con?

Nickdfresh
10-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Troop Losses on Pace for 2-Year High
The increase may be linked to Ramadan. Bush says a comparison of Iraqi violence with the 1968 Tet offensive 'could be right.'
By Borzou Daragahi
Times Staff Writer (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iraq19oct19,0,7379432.story?track=tottext)

October 19, 2006

BAGHDAD — At least 12 U.S. troops were killed during a 48-hour period ending Wednesday, putting October on track to be the deadliest month for Americans in Iraq since Marines stormed insurgent-controlled Fallouja in November 2004.

The latest surge in attacks on American military personnel has claimed the lives of 71 troops so far this month, and comes as a sharp rise in civil warfare between Iraq's Shiite and Sunni sects has left hundreds dead over the last week, including at least 43 Wednesday.

American officials attributed the rise in casualties to an increase in attacks during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which they had expected, as well as to recently changed tactics by U.S. troops, who are flooding Baghdad neighborhoods in an attempt to quell sectarian fighting. Most of the deaths occurred in the capital, where seven troops died in roadside bombings and small-arms attacks.

President Bush acknowledged that the surge in violence could be the Iraqi equivalent of the Tet offensive, the pivotal Vietnam War battle begun in 1968 that helped turn U.S. popular opinion against the war and undermined support for President Johnson.

Asked whether he agreed with a columnist who said that the fighting in Iraq mirrored Tet, Bush said that he "could be right."

"There's certainly a stepped-up level of violence, and we're heading into an election," Bush said in an interview with ABC News.

Bush and his senior aides have taken pains to avoid comparisons between Iraq and Vietnam, and even his seemingly offhand acceptance of the parallel with Tet could give new fuel to critics who say that the United States has become embroiled in a long, unwinnable war.

Bush also said that though he is adhering to his policies in Iraq, he is troubled by the deaths of Americans.

"It breaks my heart, because behind every casualty is somebody with tears in their eyes," Bush added.

A Pew Research Center for the People & the Press poll published Oct. 5 showed that 58% of the public says the U.S. military effort in Iraq is not going well, up from 48% just a month ago and the highest disapproval rating since the war began in 2003.

Pew's survey found that 48% of respondents said they would be casting their vote for the House and the Senate on Nov. 7 as a way to vote against the president.

"People are increasingly of the view that the war is not succeeding," said Andrew Kohut, president of the Pew Research Center. "The recent spike in casualties can only be worsening public opinion."

The latest war casualties brought to at least 2,783 the number of U.S. military personnel killed in Iraq, according to iCasualties.org, a website that tracks deaths in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. More than 130 died in November 2004, the month of the Fallouja offensive.

Attacks on U.S. forces have surged as much as 20% in Iraq during Ramadan, which this year began in late September, officials in Washington said.

"Emotions are more intense," said Thomas Donnelly, a military analyst with the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "It's a time to attempt dramatic things because people's awareness is heightened."

But defense officials and analysts said the sharply higher casualty rate this month also was because of U.S. troops' increased exposure to fighting during campaigns in Ramadi and Baghdad.

U.S. forces continue to face a resilient Sunni Arab insurgency in cities such as Ramadi, while struggling to quell an outbreak of civil warfare between Shiites and Sunnis and keep Shiite-dominated security forces in check.

Ramadan also has brought an increase in violence against Iraqi civilians, including the kidnapping and beheading last week of 19 young laborers near the city of Balad, about 50 miles north of Baghdad, that sparked a wave of warfare between Shiites and Sunnis in that area.

Iraqi officials said 54 Sunnis and 26 Shiites were killed during four days of violence in the religiously mixed agricultural region along the Tigris River.

Shiite militiamen abducted and executed dozens of Sunnis.

The threat of further escalation loomed Wednesday, as mortar rounds fired from Sunni areas again struck the Shiite city, said Iraqi police Brig. Gen. Nabil Baldawi.

In addition, the whereabouts of 13 carloads of Shiites who were abducted Monday night at an illegal checkpoint in the countryside near Balad remained unknown, police said. Security officials reached by telephone estimated that 40 people disappeared at the checkpoint, but said they had found no bodies and received no demands to gain the abductees' release.

U.S. and Iraqi officials said two battalions of Interior Ministry "quick-reaction unit" commandos had arrived in the area. The Shiite-dominated force is thought by Sunnis to be involved in sectarian death-squad killings.

But a dusk-to-dawn curfew and the arrival of the forces from the capital appeared to have restored order to Balad and the nearby Sunni village of Duluiya, police and U.S. officials said.

"There have been no casualties [in Balad] in the last 24 hours," U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jeff Martindale said. U.S. ground forces Wednesday backed up local security forces with patrols and attacks against suspected insurgent positions, Martindale's statement said.

At least 13 Iraqis were killed and 33 injured Wednesday in attacks targeting U.S. and Iraqi security forces. Among those slain was the director of intelligence for the southern province of Maysan. Four of his guards were also killed in the attack along the road to Basra.

Authorities also discovered the bodies of 34 men and a woman in the capital, all apparent victims of sectarian killings.

The United Nations estimates that at least 100 people a day die violently in Iraq, a country of 26 million.

The American deaths outside Baghdad included three soldiers attached to the 3rd Brigade of the Army's 4th Infantry Division, who were killed as a result of unspecified "enemy action" in Diyala province, northeast of Baghdad, the military said. A fourth soldier was wounded in the incident.

A Marine assigned to Regimental Combat Team 7 and a soldier assigned to the 1st Armored Division died in operations in Al Anbar province, the Sunni Arab insurgent stronghold west of the capital that is the scene of daily battles with insurgents.

daragahi@latimes.com

Times staff writers Peter Spiegel and Johanna Neuman in Washington, James Gerstenzang in Greensboro, N.C., and special correspondents in the Iraqi cities of Basra, Ramadi, Samarra, Taji and Tikrit contributed to this report.