PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: A DVD to avoid buying....

Hardrock69
10-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Tower Records is going out of business, so all their stuff is being heavily discounted.

So last Friday, I was looking around in there and I found a DVD called "The Best Of Bang Your Head".

Here is a link to Ryko Distributions web page about it:

http://www.rykodistribution.com/artist_title.php?artist_id=132&media_id=17661

The packaging is really nice, and the sound quality is pretty good too.

The VIDEO ENCODING SUCKS FUCKING ASS!!!!

(begin rant here)

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD RELEASE SUCH A DVD SET WITH NICE PACKAGING AND SOUND THAT LOOKS LIKE SHIT?!?!?!?!?

THE VIDEO IS BLOCKY, SOMETIMES APPEARS FUZZY OR UNFOCUSED, AND THE DVD APPEARS TO HAVE USED VIDEO DOWNLOADED FROM YOUTUBE ON A CRAPPY 56K CONNECTION!!!!

THIS DVD IS A RIPOFF!!!

IT HAD THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING SOMETHING NICE, BUT IT ACTUALLY IS A CHEAP PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

:mad:

(end rant here).

So as I was looking through all the various bands on this 2-disc set, I saw Krokus listed. I clicked through the menus and began to watch.

If Krokus were to do any AC/DC covers, you could close your eyes and SWEAR it was Bon Scott singing! It is the tone of his voice. Much like Ian Astbury sounding much like Jim Morrison.

It really tripped me out....

DrMaddVibe
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I've said on this site before that Storace would've been my pick for Scott's replacement. Johnston's screaming is painful to listen to for any length of time and after seeing them on the Stiff Upper Lip tour I doubt that I'd see them live again. He couldn't even sing the songs that were written when he was at the helm.

sadaist
10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Brian Johnson sounds like he gargles with rusty nails & glass shards every morning. He was good on Back in Black & For Those About To Rock. But his voice has been getting progressively worse. Thunderstruck kills me every time it's on the radio. But the beginning riffs are cool.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
10-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Brian Johnson sounds like he gargles with rusty nails & glass shards every morning. He was good on Back in Black & For Those About To Rock. But his voice has been getting progressively worse. Thunderstruck kills me every time it's on the radio. But the beginning riffs are cool.

Since I place a heavy importance on vocal sound/range, I HATE ACDC.

That and the fact all their shit is the same.

ELVIS
10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
No it's not...

And the good AC/DC is chock full of GRATE vocal sounds with quite a bit of range...

That's part of what made it good...

There is alot of repetitous bad stuff, but implying that AC/DC sucks is silly...

indeedido
10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
I think AC/DC are great. They've got some killer riffs. I agree that Brian's voice has gotten pretty gravely in recent years. But I'd still go see them.

sadaist
10-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U

Somewhat true, but it's a catch 22. If they stay the same, people give them shit, if they change, then they are sell outs. But, you sure know an AC/DC tune when you hear one.

Side note - anyone else think Malcolm Young is underestimated?

DrMaddVibe
10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Angus doesn't!

Mr Badguy
10-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Side note - anyone else think Malcolm Young is underestimated?

I think he is as a writer.

Angus will tell you himself that most of the riff ideas are Malcolm`s.

His rhythm guitar style is wholly appreciated by any guitar player soI don`t think he`s underestimated in that sense.

His playing is AC/DC`s engine.

Panamark
10-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U

Before I really answer this, are you also referring to the
Bon Scott era ??

FORD
10-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Marc Storace ain't got nothin' on Spike O'Neill when it comes to Bon Scott vocalizin'......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ecj-hO9QbQY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ecj-hO9QbQY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I think he is as a writer.

Angus will tell you himself that most of the riff ideas are Malcolm`s.

His rhythm guitar style is wholly appreciated by any guitar player soI don`t think he`s underestimated in that sense.

His playing is AC/DC`s engine.

Very possibly the best rhythm guitarist since Keith Richards. Which might explain why Keith himself is a huge Ac/Dc fan.

Mr. Vengeance
10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
AC/DC certainly does NOT suck.

I love Krokus and I always liked Storace's range. His mother was an opera singer, and he also has a range of several octaves. Every few years, Krokus reform, release an album and promise a world tour, but it never gets to the tour stage in N. America. In Europe they still are very popular.

jharp84
08-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I Love AC/DC and KROKUS! SO there! Fuck it all!!

Bonzo1026
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
implying that AC/DC sucks is silly... [/B][/QUOTE]

Especially if you're a Kiss fan. Gene Simmons? Please...........

gbranton
03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
If Krokus were to do any AC/DC covers, you could close your eyes and SWEAR it was Bon Scott singing! It is the tone of his voice. Much like Ian Astbury sounding much like Jim Morrison.

It really tripped me out....

Marc Storace has said in interviews that he was approached to replace Bon Scott after his death but turned the offer down because he thought Krokus was going places and also out of a sense of loyalty to his bandmates. He would have ben phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHtI4rWz1h4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1o5Tx3_xOg&feature=relmfu

He certainly does this more justice than Brian Johnson these days.

nitroDave23
03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I love AC/DC....and Krokus, and I'd also much rather hear Brian than Mark with them,cause at the end of the day, it still won't be Bon.

Brian's voice got rougher during the 80's that's for sure,with Blow Up Your Video being the first album you can really hear it change.He still had tons of power during The Razors Edge era,but afterwards it progressively did get worse.The Stiff Upper Lip Live DVD was the worst I've ever heard him,although in recent years,he's gained a lot of clarity and power back somehow...just listen to him on Black Ice in comparison to Stiff Upper Lip....totally different.Still good live,even if the band had to tune it half a step down.

Angus and Malcolm have a killer twin guitar attack,right up there with Eddie to me,they've written some great riffs together,and Phil Rudd can keep a groove like nobody's business, crank up Gone Shootin' or anything from Powerage and tell me other wise....they always deliver live too.

Any of you guys heard Brian in his Pre-AC/DC band Geordie?

His vocals in House Of The Rising Sun are quite impressive.

Sorry to get off subject....lol, not like you guys give a flyin' fuck :P

sadaist
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Any of you guys heard Brian in his Pre-AC/DC band Geordie?

His vocals in House Of The Rising Sun are quite impressive.

WOW! Could only tell it was him at a couple moments in the song (until the end). WTF happened? His voice now sounds like he gargles daily with glass shards, rusty nails, and vinegar.

Jagermeister
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
WOW! Could only tell it was him at a couple moments in the song (until the end). WTF happened? His voice now sounds like he gargles daily with glass shards, rusty nails, and vinegar.

He ain't gettin any younger.

nitroDave23
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM

The majority of it is Brian,lol and I know right? I still rank him highly as a singer,but he's not a anywhere to this level anymore.

They've got some good tunes,(some bad ones too..) although Geordie where more of a Sweet/glam band,as a lot of the 70's groups trying to make it where.

In the late 80's (1989) Geordie re-recorded the music for a bunch of their songs,but kept Brian's original vocal takes and released a CD under the title "Geordie:Featuring Brian Johnson"(a way to milk the AC/DC connection I suppose) Some sound better than the 70's originals,more rock oriented,and others, well they're best left alone.

This is what it'd have been like if he didn't join AC/DC in my opinion, straight up 80's rock (like Eliminator ZZ Top sort of...with more pop).His voice might not have blown either,he sang properly with this band, lol...he started screaming pretty insanely when he joined the Young Bros.

Can You Do It '89

Give You Til' Monday '89

Black Woman '89

Not much video footage of him with Geordie,but here's a clip of them, (can really see the glam.....LOL at the clothes.)
Black Cat Woman 70's version (Original)

Pretty underrated shit really....nothing like his 'DC stuff,show's that he can sing.

Most people hate him because he replaced Bon, but if you've ever read or watched any interviews with him, he's one of the nicest/humble rock stars around,and he's not said a bad word towards Bon,and even has said he knows his place.

"I didn't replace Bon, I'm just here because Bon is no more...." which is why he'll sing whatever Bon tune the band wants with out a fuss, unlike Hagar who takes any cheap shot towards Dave he can.

Fucking no class.

gbranton
03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Most people hate him because he replaced Bon, but if you've ever read or watched any interviews with him, he's one of the nicest/humble rock stars around,and he's not said a bad word towards Bon,and even has said he knows his place.

I never really listened to AC/DC until Back In Black was released and I listened to that so much over the next few years that it's kind of wierd for me to hear anyone else sing with AC/DC. I've seen him on Top Gear, That Metal Show and other places over the past couple of years and also read his book and I think he'd be great fun to hang around with for a day. He just finished 32nd at the 24 Hours of Daytona, his team completed over 600 laps.