PDA

View Full Version : When does a drunk driving cop killer get away with murder??

FORD
10-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Officer struck by Bush's cousin dies
Updated 10/22/2006 10:05 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A police officer died Saturday, four days after being struck by a sport-utility vehicle driven by a federal judge, the mayor said.

Officer Dan Picagli, a 17-year veteran of the force, was hit while directing traffic in the rain Tuesday night. He had been wearing a black raincoat and a reflective vest.

The SUV was driven by John M. Walker Jr., a senior judge on the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, who maintains court chambers in New Haven. He was leaving work when the accident happened, police said.

No charges have been filed.

Police Chief Francisco Ortiz said the accident remained under investigation, but officers did not feel it was necessary to test Walker for drugs or alcohol.

Walker, 65, voluntarily stepped down this month as chief judge of the court. He was appointed to the court in 1989 by President George H.W. Bush, who is a cousin of the judge.

"Officer Picagli was more than a cop," Mayor John DeStefano said in a statement Saturday. "He was someone who brought people together, who created a sense of community. He was a life enhancer to all with whom he came in contact. More than any memorial, his basic decency will keep his memory vibrant in our city."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Posted 10/22/2006 9:30 AM ET

Link (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-22-judge-officer_x.htm)

LoungeMachine
10-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I can't find anything anywhere alluding to Walker possibly being drunk.....

Just a hunch??

Chimpy we know was a felonious drunk driver.....

Same with Darth Cheney:mad:

FORD
10-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Hell, the guy's name is Johnny Walker, isn't it?

LoungeMachine
10-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Wonder is he ever has trouble boarding flights with that name...

FORD
10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Shit, I didn't even think of that. I was too busy associating him with the booze.....

http://www.student.unimaas.nl/c.rigal/myweb/johnnie-walker-red-label.jpg

Guitar Shark
10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Is Ted Kennedy a member of the BCE too? :confused:

LoungeMachine
10-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

****Non Sequitor Alert****

Steve Savicki
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Why don't you think charges have been pressed (yet?)
It's not like it can tarnish the reputation of this country any more then it's been already.

At least Johnny stepped down; may have been riots if he kept his job.
But I wonder who'll hire him now.

matt19
10-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Damn, beat me to it.

*my guns have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.*

Seshmeister
10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-10-7/33064.html

SUVs Pose Greater Danger to Pedestrians
By Patricia Reaney
Reuters Oct 07, 2005

LONDON - Sports utility vehicles (SUVs) may feel safer for their drivers but they are more deadly than other cars for pedestrians, Irish scientists said on Friday.

Research has shown that the chance of killing or seriously injuring a pedestrian is two to four times higher for someone driving an SUV, or 4X4 vehicle, than a car.

"There is clearly a higher risk for pedestrians when they are struck by a light truck or SUV compared to a passenger car," Dr Ciaran Simms, an expert in mechanical engineering at Trinity College in Dublin, told Reuters.

Elderly pedestrians and children are most at risk.

In an editorial in The Lancet medical journal, Simms and Desmond O'Neill, a professor of medical gerontology at Trinity College, called for warnings on SUVs to inform buyers of the increased risk the vehicles pose to pedestrians.

They also recommended a higher road tax and called for all SUVs involved in accidents to be documented.

The researchers, who studied accidents involving SUVs to determine why they are so deadly for pedestrians, said size didn't matter.

The main problem was the height and shape of the front of vehicle. The hood, or bonnet, is higher than on cars and has a more severe impact when it strikes the centre of the body and upper legs and pelvis.

Raising the edge of the front hood or bonnet of a vehicle from 600-850 mm (24-33 inches) increases the impact by a factor of two, which results in a doubling of injuries to vulnerable parts of the body such as the head and abdomen.

The vehicles are increasingly popular. Sales of SUVs in Europe have risen by 15 percent in the last year while demand for cars has slumped by 4 percent, according to the scientists.

"In the United States, 40 percent of new vehicles are classified as light trucks or vans (many of which are SUVs)," they said in the editorial.

Elderly pedestrians are more vulnerable to the dangers of SUVs because they are weaker, less agile and may have poorer reactions which may make them less likely to avoid being struck and more at risk of suffering serious injuries and dying.

The increased height may also make it more difficult for drivers to see young children in front of or around the vehicle, according to the researchers.

LoungeMachine
10-23-2006, 04:52 PM
It's right the in The Constitution....

My right to keep and bear SUV's

You'll take my Range Rover when you pry the wheel from my cold, dead hands....

scamper
10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Seeing as this is America, people can drive anything they want. Maybe people shouldn't be running over each other.

scamper
10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-10-7/33064.html

SUVs Pose Greater Danger to Pedestrians
By Patricia Reaney
Reuters Oct 07, 2005

LONDON - Sports utility vehicles (SUVs) may feel safer for their drivers but they are more deadly than other cars for pedestrians, Irish scientists said on Friday.

Research has shown that the chance of killing or seriously injuring a pedestrian is two to four times higher for someone driving an SUV, or 4X4 vehicle, than a car.

"There is clearly a higher risk for pedestrians when they are struck by a light truck or SUV compared to a passenger car," Dr Ciaran Simms, an expert in mechanical engineering at Trinity College in Dublin, told Reuters.

In an editorial in The Lancet medical journal, Simms and Desmond O'Neill, a professor of medical gerontology at Trinity College, called for warnings on SUVs to inform buyers of the increased risk the vehicles pose to pedestrians.

They also recommended a higher road tax and called for all SUVs involved in accidents to be documented.

The researchers, who studied accidents involving SUVs to determine why they are so deadly for pedestrians, said size didn't matter.

The main problem was the height and shape of the front of vehicle. The hood, or bonnet, is higher than on cars and has a more severe impact when it strikes the centre of the body and upper legs and pelvis.

Raising the edge of the front hood or bonnet of a vehicle from 600-850 mm (24-33 inches) increases the impact by a factor of two, which results in a doubling of injuries to vulnerable parts of the body such as the head and abdomen.

The vehicles are increasingly popular. Sales of SUVs in Europe have risen by 15 percent in the last year while demand for cars has slumped by 4 percent, according to the scientists.

"In the United States, 40 percent of new vehicles are classified as light trucks or vans (many of which are SUVs)," they said in the editorial.

Elderly pedestrians are more vulnerable to the dangers of SUVs because they are weaker, less agile and may have poorer reactions which may make them less likely to avoid being struck and more at risk of suffering serious injuries and dying.

The increased height may also make it more difficult for drivers to see young children in front of or around the vehicle, according to the researchers.

I venture to guess that the odds my me hitting and killing someone with my Honda Civic are higher than someone getting run over with a mountain bike.

scamper
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
That last statement was poorly written but I think you get the point. Stats suck and worry about your on ride.

scamper
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
opps again

Seshmeister
10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by scamper
That last statement was poorly written but I think you get the point. Stats suck and worry about your on ride.

Fine.

Noones saying ban them just be aware you might kill someone.

A 7 year old kid jumped backwards onto the road straight in front of me a few years back. They hobbled away with a big bruise, if I had been driving an SUV they would have been hospitalised.

SUVs kill hundreds of children each year that would otherwise survive.

Call it a stat, pretend it isn't true, say it's the kids fault or the parents or that you are too good a driver to hit one.

Whatever, it's up to you.

These vehicles were designed initially for off road driving so they were allowed higher bigger fenders and chassis that will punch a hole through anything they hit.

Now in the UK the majority are driven by people who like to feel big...

You can actually buy spray on mud in cannisters in London so that you can pretend that you drive off road.

scamper
10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Fine.

Noones saying ban them just be aware you might kill someone.

A 7 year old kid jumped backwards onto the road straight in front of me a few years back. They hobbled away with a big bruise, if I had been driving an SUV they would have been hospitalised.

SUVs kill hundreds of children each year that would otherwise survive.

Call it a stat, pretend it isn't true, say it's the kids fault or the parents or that you are too good a driver to hit one.

Whatever, it's up to you.

These vehicles were designed initially for off road driving so they were allowed higher bigger fenders and chassis that will punch a hole through anything they hit.

Now in the UK the majority are driven by people who like to feel big...

You can actually buy spray on mud in cannisters in London so that you can pretend that you drive off road.

The kid that jumped in front of you was pretty lucky. If you're tying to save lives take away all autos and make everybody walk. My point is that just because you don't like them don't push your beliefs on other people. What are the stats on car colors, are grey ones harder to see, outlaw them...what about anything with more than 3 HP. Did you know that 99.999999% of people killed in auto accidents were killed by cars with more that 3 HP.

Seshmeister
10-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Oh fuck off.

I'm not pushing any beliefs at all. This isn't some objective faith based issue.

I'm just posting that it's a fact that if you hit a pedestrian in an SUV you are far more likely to fuck them up. If you drive an SUV and are in a collision with another vehicle you are far more likely to fuck up the people in the other vehicle.

If you find that because you were unlucky enough to be born with a small penis and want to overcompensate by driving one then that's fine.

Have the courage of your convictions. If you don't give a fuck about the extra danger you pose then that's up to you, that's freedom but don't try and hide.

Cheers!

:gulp:

matt19
10-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

LMFAO!

Dr. Love
10-24-2006, 01:18 AM

Easier targets

LoungeMachine
10-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Easier targets

Fewer points unless clearly in crosswalk

Nickdfresh
10-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Does this mean I should take the ramming spikes and "fish hook rear bumper" off my Blazer? :confused:

scamper
10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Oh fuck off.

I'm not pushing any beliefs at all. This isn't some objective faith based issue.

I'm just posting that it's a fact that if you hit a pedestrian in an SUV you are far more likely to fuck them up. If you drive an SUV and are in a collision with another vehicle you are far more likely to fuck up the people in the other vehicle.

If you find that because you were unlucky enough to be born with a small penis and want to overcompensate by driving one then that's fine.

Have the courage of your convictions. If you don't give a fuck about the extra danger you pose then that's up to you, that's freedom but don't try and hide.

Cheers!

:gulp:

The point is every time you get behind the wheel in a steel box you are a threat. Don't get pissed because someone elses box is bigger. Tell me what the limits should be....by the way I drive a Civic 90% of the time, but the 10% I drive and SUV is because I need it.

FORD
10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I think we're getting off track here.

There may be some degree of validity to the question of SUV's versus normal cars in the case of pedestrian safety, but the issue here is that a Bush relative once again killed someone and got away with it.

And this was a COP, for fucks sake. If this guy had been anybody other than a card carrying member of the BCE, he would have been dragged out of his vehicle and shot 50 times in the back of the head, because that's what is routinely done to cop killers. Have the Bushes been in New Haven so long that not even the cops will stand up for one of their own, against them??

matt19
10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I think we're getting off track here.

There may be some degree of validity to the question of SUV's versus normal cars in the case of pedestrian safety, but the issue here is that a Bush relative once again killed someone and got away with it.

And this was a COP, for fucks sake. If this guy had been anybody other than a card carrying member of the BCE, he would have been dragged out of his vehicle and shot 50 times in the back of the head, because that's what is routinely done to cop killers. Have the Bushes been in New Haven so long that not even the cops will stand up for one of their own, against them??

Fair enough a cop. But Ted Kennedy is a senetor.

FORD
10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by matt19
Fair enough a cop. But Ted Kennedy is a senetor.

The BCE didn't kill Ted Kennedy, so he's got nothing to do with this.

Jack & Bobby on the other hand.... well, the jury's still out on that one. And I ain't talking about the Warren Whitewash Commission.

Nickdfresh
10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Notice the conspiracy segue? :D

FORD
10-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, the subject IS murders that the BCE got away with, isn't it?