PDA

View Full Version : "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up And Sing" Movie Trailer

DEMON CUNT
10-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I am looking forward to this one.

Martie Maguire is beyond hot!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgESdfe7v90"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgESdfe7v90" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

amadeus
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't agree with what they said but I will defend their right to say it. By the same token, people are also allowed to put them down, refuse to buy their records, stop going to the concerts, etc. The problem is they think it is some vast right-wing conspiracy aqnd if it is, so what, just like when they made their statement about Bush, the people who heard it or are behind them can follow what Chicks say. You have the freedom to say whatever you want (short of wanting to cause harm to the President) but be big enough to accept any and all backlash. The conservatives are told over and over again by the liberals to deal with things they don't like but when the shoe is on the other foot, the liberals don't like it.

DEMON CUNT
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
The most disturbing elements of this situation are the death threats and accusations of treason for speaking their minds.

People can disagree, call names and even throw their cds away.

However, threatening to kill someone is TERRORISM.

Nickdfresh
10-27-2006, 04:59 PM
And corporate media refusing to play their music smacks of collusion.

DEMON CUNT
10-27-2006, 05:04 PM
The delicious irony here is the fact that these hayseeds who supposedly support The War Against Terrorism (TWAT) are in fact engaging in terrorism against their fellow Americans.

4moreyears
10-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
And corporate media refusing to play their music smacks of collusion.

Does the corporation have the right to decide how to present their product to their customer base? If there was such a demand for Dixie Chicks music it would be there. I disagree with what they said but agree they have a right to say it. I also agree corporations have a right to not play their music if they feel that their listener base would would not like it. The Dixie Chicks should start their own radio station to play their own music and those of other's they feel are sensored if they feel there is a market for it. After all the market place dictates what is acceptable.

Nickdfresh
10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Does the corporation have the right to decide how to present their product to their customer base? If there was such a demand for Dixie Chicks music it would be there. I disagree with what they said but agree they have a right to say it. I also agree corporations have a right to not play their music if they feel that their listener base would would not like it. The Dixie Chicks should start their own radio station to play their own music and those of other's they feel are sensored if they feel there is a market for it. After all the market place dictates what is acceptable.

If I'm not mistaken, their last CD topped the charts for a while (not a country fan, so I'm not sure).

And major corporations have no business attempting to manipulate the marketplace for political ends, and often blatantly self-serving ones at that.

blueturk
10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Here's the kind of "thinking" we're dealing with, at least in regard to Clear Channel (from Wikipedia).....

Following the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington, D.C., a list of songs apparently recommended to be removed from airplay as inappropriate during a time of national mourning was generated and circulated (See List of songs deemed inappropriate by Clear Channel following the September 11, 2001 attacks). A small list was initially generated by the Clear Channel office, though individual program directors added many of their own songs. A list containing about 150 songs was soon circulating on the Internet. The criteria for choosing the songs seemed to be unreasonable to many. A number of songs were apparently placed on the list because they had specific words such as "plane", "fly", and "falling" in their titles. Many people found it particularly ludicrous that John Lennon's "Imagine" was one of the songs listed. Clear Channel denies that this was a list of "banned" songs, claiming it was a list of titles that should be played only after great thought. Many individual stations did play songs from the list. Not only did many individual stations play songs from the alleged lists, Clear Channel's Classic Rock station WOFX "The Fox", near its Radio headquarters in Cincinnati, played many of those "banned" songs shortly after 9/11 and after the salon.com story about the list.[citation needed] Songs that were played included Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" and Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World".

In the build up to the second Iraq War Clear Channel organized and paid for a counterpoint to anti-war demonstrations, supporters of war in Iraq descended on cities from Fort Wayne to Cleveland, and Atlanta to Philadelphia. Waving flags, messages of support for the troops — and also banners attacking liberals, excoriating the UN and in one case, advising: "Bomb France Now."

Clear Channel paid for the advertising costs and for the hire of musicians for the rallies.

Clear Channel said the rallies were "patriotic", not "pro-war".

In March of 2003, Natalie Maines, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks said to an English concert audience, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas," upsetting many music fans and politicians in the United States. Thinking the Dixie Chicks were now a pariah and thus unmarketable, all of the country music stations owned by 2 Atlanta-based companies, Cumulus Media and Cox Radio were told to stop playing their music. There is speculation that Clear Channel also may have directed their stations to do so, but the company states this was solely the work of local station managers, DJ’s, and angry fans. Some critics of Clear Channel, including the editors of Rock and Rap Confidential, claim otherwise. They claim that Clear Channel executives, in a bid to gain support for various policies they were pushing in Washington, instigated the boycott among its country music stations themselves to send a message to other musicians that criticizing President George Bush's administration could hurt your career (through reduced airplay, etc.) Madonna had also faced similar problems when she released her anti-Iraq war album, American Life, and faced reduced radio airplay throughout the release of her album in 2003. There is no proof of these accusations and Clear Channel denies them.

FORD
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucGPGGB9zRA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucGPGGB9zRA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRf9AJSbHy4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRf9AJSbHy4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
10-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I want them all!!

Nickdfresh
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Oldie but a goodie...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUDR9RckfEU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUDR9RckfEU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4moreyears
10-27-2006, 08:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, their last CD topped the charts for a while (not a country fan, so I'm not sure).

And major corporations have no business attempting to manipulate the marketplace for political ends, and often blatantly self-serving ones at that.

Again if it is not illegal and it is acceptable in the market place they can do what they want. It is their business. If I owned or ran a business I would not do what someone else told me especially if I thought it would alienate my target audience. That is just not smart business.

FORD
10-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Clear Channel did not stop playing the Dixie Chicks because of the "market place". They did so because they were founded with literal BCE money.

Nickdfresh
10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Again if it is not illegal and it is acceptable in the market place they can do what they want. It is their business. If I owned or ran a business I would not do what someone else told me especially if I thought it would alienate my target audience. That is just not smart business.

Since when is collusion in any way legal. And again, the Chicks last album was high high high on the charts. So, in essence, they're creating and altering the market, not reacting to it.

Dr. Love
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
This is the first time I recall DC stating a preference for women.

DEMON CUNT
10-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, it seems as though CC was stirring the pot to provoke the toothless hillbilly right into supporting the invasion of Iraq.

DEMON CUNT
10-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
This is the first time I recall DC stating a preference for women.

DC is 100% hetro.

All the homo shit is for the benefit of the conservative reactionary dumb dumbs.

The way they would respond to a picture of some dude in his underwear was both hilarious and creepy. They would run around screaming like spooked monkeys.

One of them even started a thread hoping that I was a fag. Here he is now:

http://www.angryman.ca/blog/uploaded_images/TypingMonkey-766949.jpg

4moreyears
10-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Since when is collusion in any way legal. And again, the Chicks last album was high high high on the charts. So, in essence, they're creating and altering the market, not reacting to it.

When you are a country music radio station and your primary demographic is right wing rednecks then it is not collusion it is good business sense. Willie Nelson is a big country singer but a liberal democrat. But is is smart enough to not piss off his main fan base. It was OK for them to say what they said but they pissed off a % of their fans who made a big enough stink. They seem to understand the concequences of what they said. I do respect them for sticking to their guns and not caving.

Nickdfresh
10-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Again, facts mensa. How is it good business not to play the number one selling country act?

We're talking about a small minority of dumb fucking chickehawk loudmouths that were trying to censor the Chicks. Not the majority of the demographic, as evidenced by their sales.

And stop with the high school, 11th grade level, economics lessons...

BigBadBrian
10-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
DC is 100% hetro.

All the homo shit is for the benefit of the conservative reactionary dumb dumbs.

Riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

4moreyears
10-28-2006, 01:05 PM

And stop with the high school, 11th grade level, economics lessons...

Do you want me to come down to 1st grade so you can understand it?

See Ford. See Ford Run.

ULTRAMAN VH
10-28-2006, 02:41 PM
And why is a ridiculous thread like this posted on the Frontline? Hey, Mighty Moderator, why don't you dump this.

Nickdfresh
10-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Do you want me to come down to 1st grade so you can understand it?

See Ford. See Ford Run.

No, I want you to attend college so you can speak my language, high school girl...

Nickdfresh
10-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
And why is a ridiculous thread like this posted on the Frontline? Hey, Mighty Moderator, why don't you dump this.

You know, I almost got excited when I saw that you actually posted in a thread that was not your own shit op-ed cut and pastes.

Then I saw this...

DEMON CUNT
10-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Riiiiiiight.

Speaking of conservative reactionary dumb dumbs who are stimulated by gay pictures.

It appears that BigBland enjoys watching men in tight clothes play with their bats and balls.

Paging Dr. Freud!

Isn't one of those guys named Pooholes?

blueturk
10-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Unaired Ad Gets Dixie Chicks Flick A Whole Lot of Ink

By Lisa de Moraes
Saturday, October 28, 2006; C01

NBC and CW networks became unwitting stealth-marketing partners with the Weinstein Co. when they refused to air ads for the film company's upcoming docu-flick about the storm that erupted when the Dixie Chicks' lead singer said in a 2003 concert she was ashamed President Bush was from her home state of Texas.

Or, as we like to say here at The TV Column, when refusing ads for a flick about Censorship and Freedom of Speech, it's always best not to tell the producer in writing that you "cannot accept these spots as they are disparaging to the President" or that your network "does not have appropriate programming in which to schedule this spot" -- because such statements are going to wind up in a news release about network censorship.

It all started earlier this week when Weinstein submitted ads for its new Barbara Kopple documentary "Shut Up & Sing" to the broadcast networks for review by their standards and practices departments.

NBC said it "cannot accept these spots as they are disparaging to President Bush."

CW said it "does not have appropriate programming in which to schedule this spot."

Weinstein said: "Eureka!"

And on Thursday evening, it sent out a news release headlined:

"In an Ironic Twist of Events, NBC and the CW Television Networks Refuse to Air Ads for Documentary Focusing on Freedom of Speech."

"It's a sad commentary about the level of fear in our society that a movie about a group of courageous entertainers who were blacklisted for exercising their right of free speech is now itself being blacklisted by corporate America," bemoaned Weinstein Co. co-chairman Harvey Weinstein.

"The idea that anyone should be penalized for criticizing the president is sad and profoundly un-American," he added.

And, because Weinstein Co. didn't send out the announcement until too late for reporters in some areas of the country to get an "outside expert" on the phone to comment, it even provided them with one, throwing in a quote from "famed litigator David Boies."

(Boies, FYI, is one of the "legal eagles" who crafted the exit agreement from Disney of the former Miramax chiefs -- Bob and Harvey Weinstein, Variety reported back when.)

"It is disappointing and troubling that NBC and The CW would refuse to accept an otherwise appropriate ad merely because it is critical of President Bush," Boies said in the news release.

"Political criticism is at the heart of the First Amendment. The legal issues are complicated; the policy is not. The public deserves to hear more than the official point of view."

All good stuff. But the Weinstein Co. probably should not have thrown in at the end of the release that it is "exploring taking legal action." Way too Snidely Whiplash.

In case you haven't yet seen it, the 15-second version of the ad opens with President Bush saying in a televised speech, "The United States is ridding Iraq of weapons of mass destruction."

Then the words "Lies Exposed" appear on a black screen.

Cut to: Natalie Maines saying she's embarrassed about Bush, to thunderous applause.

Cut to: Clip of some local news chick saying to camera, "The radio station has set up these garbage cans for people to throw out their CDs."

Cut to: Much hooting and hollering at anti-Dixie Chicks protest, with crowd shouting "U.S.A.! U.S.A.! and waving signs suggesting the singers should be tried for treason. "Move to France, Dixie Chicks!" one guy suggests helpfully.

Cut to: The words "Conspiracy Uncovered" on a black screen.

Cut to: The lead singer reading a message that says "Natalie Maines will be shot dead in Dallas, Texas."

Cut to: News conference with someone official-sounding saying, "The FBI had some intelligence, but they didn't share it." (Which in and of itself is actually a very funny line.)

Cut to: Bush saying, presumably to reporters, while walking, "They shouldn't have their feelings hurt because some people don't want to buy their record."

Cut to: Maines on a couch, reading Bush's comment about their feelings being hurt. " 'Have their feelings hurt'?!" she says, incredulously. "What a dumb --"

Before she can get out the last word, the picture cuts away and Voiceover Guy says, "Rated R -- select theaters this Friday."

When a small movie like this one gets a very limited release -- just four theaters this weekend -- with the intention of going wide after that, word of mouth is critical and that's when you often see stealth marketing campaigns, such as whipping the media into a froth over some angle on the flick to generate millions in free publicity. (The movie opens nationwide Nov. 10.)

Yesterday both NBC and CW noted Weinstein Co. hadn't actually tried to make a national media buy for the ads. So, they seemed to be saying, their comments about the ads are a moot point.

"While a spot was submitted to our broadcast standards and practices department for review and was rejected because it violated our policy of not broadcasting ads that deal with issues of public controversy, the Weinstein Company did not make a national media buy for 'Shut Up & Sing,' nor did anyone from the company inquire about buying time on the network," NBC said.

CW, which values brevity, merely said for the record that the Weinstein news release is "flat-out inaccurate. The whole matter is a mystery to The CW."

"We have lots of issues with commercials all the time," Alan Wurtzel from NBC told The TV Column. Wurtzel oversees the standards department in his capacity as president of research and media development of NBC Universal.

"NBC got back to the film company explaining the ads violated NBC's policy against taking ads that dealt with issues of public controversy, and one of the ways they were doing that was being disparaging of Bush. . . . We never heard from them again," he said.

"These are guys who know what the procedure is with respect to ads clearances -- they've done this for 20 years. Normally they'd be on the phone in a second saying either 'how do I fix it to make it comply?' or 'let me talk to your boss.' In neither case did that happen. . . . This leads me to believe they might have had another objective."

Asked whether he thought NBC had played into the film company's hand, Wurtzel said, "I will say there have been other instances in the past where [companies] get more publicity by having an ad rejected than run."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/27/AR2006102701746.html

matt19
10-28-2006, 07:56 PM
B-o-o H-o-o , I'm sorry but they alienated their core fanbase. You cant tell me they didnt know their core fanbase was conservitive. I respect the fact that they spoke their mind. And they made the right choice in speaking what they thought. However you cant have your cake and eat it too.

4moreyears
10-28-2006, 09:47 PM
No, I want you to attend college so you can speak my language, high school girl...

Come on Nicole you are not worth the time.

Nickdfresh
10-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Come on Nicole you are not worth the time.

Okay bitch. Which college did you go to again high school boy?

Know nothing fucking troll says what?

If you truly are a 30-something, which I'm quite convinced you're not, you're pretty sad. And if you're a teen listing her age as 30+, when do you plan to enlist?

BigBadBrian
10-29-2006, 07:27 AM

With your child-like reasoning skills and lack of a logical thought process, it's quite evident your community college didn't quite do their job with you. :D

4moreyears
10-29-2006, 08:50 AM

Know nothing fucking troll says what?

If you truly are a 30-something, which I'm quite convinced you're not, you're pretty sad. And if you're a teen listing her age as 30+, when do you plan to enlist?

How sad that going to college will be your biggest accomplishment in life. (As well as being a mod here in The Front Line.) What a pretty sad pathetic life.

DEMON CUNT
10-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow, new frontiers in bad comebacks from the neocon dummy twins.

BigBlandBrian and 4morequeers are clearly running out of ammo.

Nickdfresh
10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
How sad that going to college will be your biggest accomplishment in life. (As well as being a mod here in The Front Line.) What a pretty sad pathetic life.

Well, NeoCon closet case, what's your biggest accomplishment? Keeping it on the "down low" from your stupid friends?

Nickdfresh
10-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
With your child-like reasoning skills and lack of a logical thought process, it's quite evident your community college didn't quite do their job with you. :D

Oh BTW Brianne, have you graduated yet 40-something? How are all those software programs you've written doing?

LMFAO!!:D

LoungeMachine
10-29-2006, 12:16 PM
This is really getting embarassingly weak, Neo-Cons.

You're just looking more desperate with each passing week....

LoungeMachine
10-29-2006, 12:19 PM

Because you didn't start it?

You're just pissed NO ONE bothers to post in your boring threads....

I can leave them open for the next 10 years and won't hit 10 replies.....

YOU don't even bother to post in your own weak threads

LMMFAO

ULTRAMAN VH
10-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Because you didn't start it?

You're just pissed NO ONE bothers to post in your boring threads....

I can leave them open for the next 10 years and won't hit 10 replies.....

YOU don't even bother to post in your own weak threads

LMMFAO

No Lounge, my threads get numerous replies, I think they strike a chord with you and the rest of the super libs on this site, hence the editing of my threads which is a total abuse of your power as a moderator. Would it not be rather boring if you, Ford, Demon Cunt, Nick and OD just chatted amongst yourselves without any input from the right. Well that is where it is headed if you keep fucking with threads that you don't agree with. It staggers the imagination how you continue to be allowed to moderate the Frontline. I have no problems taking your insults, I even get a laugh out of them, but altering threads really crosses the line.

DEMON CUNT
10-29-2006, 05:04 PM
No Lounge, my threads get numerous replies, I think they strike a chord with you and the rest of the super libs on this site, hence the editing of my threads which is a total abuse of your power as a moderator. I have no problems taking your insults, I even get a laugh out of them, but altering threads really crosses the line.

http://www.babyminestore.com/images/changingtable.jpg

Ah, does ULTRADOUCHE need his diapees changed?

LoungeMachine
10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
No Lounge, my threads get numerous replies, I think they strike a chord with you and the rest of the super libs on this site, hence the editing of my threads which is a total abuse of your power as a moderator. Would it not be rather boring if you, Ford, Demon Cunt, Nick and OD just chatted amongst yourselves without any input from the right. Well that is where it is headed if you keep fucking with threads that you don't agree with. It staggers the imagination how you continue to be allowed to moderate the Frontline. I have no problems taking your insults, I even get a laugh out of them, but altering threads really crosses the line.

LMMFAO

The thread of which you speak, that you're so PROUD of, and pissed of I changed the title to point out you don't even post on your own thread TOPICS....

HERE ARE YOUR ENTIRE POSTS IN YOUR OWN THREAD

http://www.townhall.com/
Here ya go Nick!!! and Demon Cunt, go blow yourself!!! Whoops, sorry I forgot you can't, you have a pussy.

Hey its Friday
HEY!!! ITS FRIDAY, what the heck. I did say I do my fair share of name calling and verbal jabbing. Go ahead and dump it, Mighty Moderator (aka) Adolf Hitler. The article must have some validity for your liberal ass to get rid of it.

While you're at it Adolf, you can start dumping FORDS bullshit conspiracy threads and don't forget the Top TEN Conservative Idiots thread. Thanks, and have a great Friday.

Wow, you really stayed on topic.

How dare I change the title of a thread that you were so proud of.......

You still haven't bothered to make you OWN arguments, skippy.

And it'll only get worse for you
:D

ULTRAMAN VH
10-29-2006, 06:36 PM
You still haven't bothered to make you OWN arguments, skippy

Nice grammar, Tarzan. Tell Cheetah I said hello.

Nickdfresh
10-29-2006, 07:01 PM

:D

LoungeMachine
10-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Typo jokes?

You're down to typo jokes?

LMMFAO

You really are weak, even by troll standards:rolleyes:

Notice you still haven't posted anything worthy in your own "thread"

BigBadBrian
11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/120567.jpg

LoungeMachine
11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
eh,

never really though any of 'em were worth crossing the road for.....