PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex?

Matt White
10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
http://books.aol.com/feature/_a/why-do-men-fall-asleep-after-sex/20060811164509990001

AOL Book Maven Bethanne Patrick Interviews Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg, M.D.

Why don't women have Adam's apples? Do dogs have belly buttons? What purpose do freckles serve? These and countless other questions are the ones that keep novelist Mark Leyner and physician Dr. Billy Goldberg, authors of 'Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour' (Crown) awake at night -- and often, at the same time, instant messaging each other. 'We consider anything in our books,' says Leyner. 'That's one of the principles that we base our books on -- [that] there is no such thing as a stupid question. People think of really weird stuff and they should have a forum to ask questions and get some answers, both informative and humorous answers.'

Leyner, best known for hjs satiric novels 'The Tetherballs of Bougainville' and 'My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist' might seem an unlikely source of medical information -- which is why it’s a good thing he met Goldberg, an emergency room physician who is on the faculty of a New York teaching hospital. As noted in their book's subtitle, it's often after a drink or three that people start asking things like: If I hold in intestinal gas, will I explode? If I hold in pee on a long car trip, will my bladder explode? If I hold in a burp or a belch will I blow my torso off?

The one thing that is dangerous, the pair found, is very common: sneezing, which if held in check could result in facial damage. 'A sneeze comes out at about 100 miles an hour,' says Goldberg. 'I really feel bad for the guy who has to hold the radar gun up to some sick person.'

Now, on to the interview:

Bethanne Patrick: Hi this is AOL's Book Maven Bethanne Patrick and today I'm speaking with Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg, M.D. about their book 'Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex?' So guys, why do men fall asleep after sex?

Billy Goldberg: The whole sex thing is a fantastic series of events. After you have an orgasm, your body produces certain hormones. And those hormones can make you sleepy: oxytocin, prolactin, there is something called gamma amino butyric acid. Also you body burns energy when you have sex. And men tend to have more muscle mass than women so they burn a little more energy.

Bethanne Patrick: So it is not just that men are more active during sex, muscle mass changes the amount of energy burned off.

Billy Goldberg: That is because men are made up of more muscle. There are some people that would argue that men are more active but I'm going to leave that up to everyone's personal experience. There is a really interesting tantric idea about sex that the yogis will tell you. The male orgasm is this external outward explosion where the female orgasm is an inward explosion, which to me denotes that men lose energy when they have sex and women gain energy, which is an interesting theory that isn't scientifically based.

Mark Leyner: If you think about human sexuality a little bit, there is another element to the calculus of this whole thing which is that ... when you have an orgasm there is this cascade of hormones the prolactin, oxytocin and gamma amino butyric acid and all the things that Bill said and glycogen depletion in the muscles ... all of this that give you a sense of serenity and fatigue -- sleepiness. That happens to all human beings. So it is useful and very simple just look at which gender has more frequent [orgasms] and it is easier to achieve orgasm -- men, obviously.

Bethanne Patrick: I knew there was a disparity between the sexes, but it has never been so clearly stated. How about a corollary to that? We have already heard from Billy, why women don't fall asleep after sex, which is a very different experience with different muscle mass. But why do men sleep more than women, overall?

Billy Goldberg: It is all about the estrogen. Women are basically programmed to sleep better. Estrogen makes women's sleep better and that's been scientifically studied. Things kind of even out as menopause kicks in, and women have sleep problems associated with that. The other thing that interrupts women['s] sleep is pregnancy. Pregnancy notoriously leads to difficulty in sleeping. In general men don't sleep as well as women because of estrogen.

Mark Leyner: Sleep patterns are fascinating. We have a chapter in the book about puberty. And it is interesting for me to muse about right now because my 13-year-old daughter is fast asleep. She will probably sleep -- unless I go and poke her and prod her up there -- until noon or one or two or something ridiculous.

Bethanne Patrick: What is that all about?

Mark Leyner: It's because during puberty the circadian rhythms of a person change. In adolescence the time that people start getting tired gets pushed significantly up. We are use[d] to kids getting sleepy -- even though they fight it -- about 8[PM], 9[PM], 10[PM] and when your child reaches adolescence, that's pushed way up to 11[PM], 12[PM], 1[AM]. Also, the times that their bodies are awakening is pushed way up. The whole circadian itinerary for adolescence is shifted.

Bethanne Patrick: I want to point out that we have some other questions that address animals in the book. What was your favorite question that you heard about pets and other animals? My favorite: Do dogs have belly buttons?

Billy Goldberg: That is a fantastic question. It is something that you don't think about. The second you hear the question you are like, 'Ya know, I don't think I've ever seen a dog's belly button.' You know what is going to happen because of this book, there are going to be dogs on their backs everywhere with the owners searching for the belly button.

Bethanne Patrick: Will they find it?

Mark Leyner: Yes

Billy Goldberg: Dogs are placenta mammals so they are attached to the placenta; they should have a belly button. You can find it half way between the end of the ribcage and the hip bone. You just have to look and peel back the fur and give her a little scratch while you are down there.

Bethanne Patrick: Here is another one that I think at this time of year everyone wants to know about. We are sweeter to mosquitoes; some people are sweeter than others. Why is that? And why are those darn bugs attracted to light?

Mark Leyner: The mosquito question is a fascinating one for me because I love bugs. We also talk about why the mosquito's bite is itchy. More interestingly, why you don't feel the mosquito biting you? I'll just give you that answer really quickly because it intrigues me. I'm so impressed.

Bethanne Patrick: Yeah, because you really don't feel the mosquito biting you.

Mark Leyner: You don't feel it because the weapons technology of the mosquito is advanced. When a mosquito bites you it is actually just sucking blood from you. It [has] something called the sucking proboscis. Through this sucking proboscis the mosquito injects you with two things: 1. An anti-coagulant so it can slurp up the blood so the blood doesn't coagulate, 2. The other is an anesthetic so you don't feel it. If you felt it you would swat at the mosquito in mid-meal. It really is an unbelievable engineering that mosquitoes are wielding there. The question about whether some people are sweeter than others is another great one. Mosquitoes basically hone in on a number of things: carbon dioxide -- which we exhale, lactic acid -- which is produced through the utilization of our muscles and sweat. The only person [who] wouldn't be sweet to a mosquito is someone [who] doesn't exude carbon dioxide, lactic acid and sweat which would be a dead person.

Bethanne Patrick: I was just about to say, 'how could I become that person?' But now I won't ask it.

Mark Leyner: There are some things that people can do to make them less seductive to the mosquito. It is wearing less sweetly fragrant colognes, perfumes, aftershave lotions and things like that. Other than that, if you are [a] living human being and you are out and about a mosquito will find you.

Bethanne Patrick: Now if you are [a] living human being you are also going to be interested in questions about lactation. Can men lactate? Can fake boobs lactate? Can you breast feed with a nipple piercing? Why do you think people are so fixated Dr. Freud ... oh I mean Dr. Leyner?

Mark Leyner: Oh you are asking ...

Billy Goldberg: She just made you a doctor ... a degree from the AOL School of Medicine.

Bethanne Patrick: I know. I promoted you.

Mark Leyner: When people call me a doctor, I never disabuse them of that. It feeds me; my self-delusions. This is my theory. I won't go on a long time because Billy will make fun of me.

Billy Goldberg: Wait, wait, wait ... news flash ... just in ... Leyner will not go on a long time.

Mark Leyner: I think that human beings have over centuries distinguished themselves from other mammals to such a degree that the things that we do that are just exquisitely mammalian like providing milk for our offspring are just endlessly fascinating. We can see ourselves as just nursing, suckling creatures and it is sort of stunning to people -- the idea that our bodies can produce food. We are use to seeing beehives and ant hives and discovery documentaries about animals nursing -- there we are ... I think it is just one of those revelations that people get ... yes, we are connected. We are in the great lineage of other mammals. People ask us these questions all the time.

Matt White
10-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Bethanne Patrick: And to go from Dr. Leyner -- the doctor of human nature -- to Dr. Goldberg ... the answer to, can men lactate is actually true from time to time.

Billy Goldberg: They can produce a very small amount of milk. That doesn't mean that you are going to be feeding your baby.

Bethanne Patrick: Got it.

Billy Goldberg: There are some conditions where men can produce a small amount of milk but we are not going to be the food source.

Bethanne Patrick: Exactly

Mark Leyner: Bethanne, Bethanne you know those . . .

Billy Goldberg: Bethanne, the male Dayak fruit bat is the only male mammal that can feed its young.

Bethanne Patrick: Oh, that is very interesting. Mark, I heard you bubbling up in background there.

Mark Leyner: If you want a glass of fruit bat's milk you can get it from the male, but males really can't produce enough. You know those little cups of half-and-half you get at the diner. I don't know if a [lactating] male could put a dent in one of those.

Bethanne Patrick: Ewww!

Billy Goldberg: Have you ever tried to milk a fruit bat? It is very difficult.

Bethanne Patrick: Oh, man I really wouldn't want to try now. I know that we really don't have much time left. I also know that everyone should be able to submit questions to Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg, M.D. at whydomenhavenipples.com, correct?

Mark Leyner: That is correct. We are also building a new site called whydomenfallasleep.com.

Bethanne Patrick: What is the question that most fascinates the two of you that you haven't answered yet in a book?

Billy Goldberg: I have a very simple one that someone asked me the other day. It is: Why do paper cuts hurt so much?

Bethanne Patrick: Excellent question!

Billy Goldberg: They can be so painful. A lot of people have had major injuries and then you get a paper cut and it is the most disturbing thing in world. I'm going to research that one for the next book.

Bethanne Patrick: Mark, how about you?

Mark Leyner: This is going to seem slightly esoteric but it fascinates me. There are techniques being developed which enable people to control pain through a new kind of functional MRI where you can actually see diagrams of areas of your brain that are becoming most active when you [are] experiencing pain and through watching them learn to control the pain. I am fascinated by the future of what we have thought of as completely automatic uncontrollable functions in your body.

Bethanne Patrick: You know this might have some pertinence as to why men fall asleep after sex.

Mark Leyner: If women could hook their husbands up to home MRI systems, they could probably get their husbands to do all sorts of things.

Bethanne Patrick: I will draw a little veil there. Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg, thank you so much for being here to discuss 'Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour' out now from Three Rivers. Thanks, guys.

Mark Leyner/Billy Goldberg: Thank you

Panamark
10-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I find it can go both ways..

You can have sex, get really sleepy, or (with me) it
can hype me up !! Both happen to me..

How do you explain that ??

Adrenaline is my answer.
Sometimes you get an adrenaline rush when you
empty your boys, and it hypes you, other times that
same rush and emptying makes you sleepy...

DOesnt seem to be a clear cut answer to this one...
(At least not for my physiology !)

blonddgirl777
10-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I find it can go both ways..

You can have sex, get really sleepy, or (with me) it
can hype me up !! Both happen to me..

How do you explain that ??...

Personally, if I was a little bit tired to begin with, I will fall asleep...
If I had all that energy and was about to start the day... it will help me get up and go!

Also, multiple orgasms can play a role...

PumpedUpMidget
10-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Have heard that Jesterstar has often asked the same question about his men....

Nitro Express
10-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Our wives and girlfriends tottaly know we are useless after we get laid so that's why they make us give them backrubs and massages before we can have sex with them.

blonddgirl777
10-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Our wives and girlfriends tottaly know we are useless after we get laid so that's why they make us give them backrubs and massages before we can have sex with them.

Hell ya!
Every `negotiation` has to be done BEFORE... :D

DylanLeeRoth
11-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty sure we'll find more Trekkies who's lost there virginity then you fags. Go lie some more you dickless goofballs.

Matt White
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
HA!!!

Liked you've even KISSED a girl yet Napoleon?!?......

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm sure your "partner" doesn't complain when you fall alseep...........

http://www.mediawatch.com/gallery/albums/ads/noconnection30.sized.jpg

blonddgirl777
11-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Holly shit!
That doll is scary!!!

Dan
11-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by DylanLeeRoth
I'm pretty sure find i will find some street bum to lost my load to.

Calling Joe Thunder a young boy wanting some Love from you.