PDA

View Full Version : Ban on Black Cat Adoptions Questioned

Matt White
10-29-2006, 09:25 AM
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/ban-on-black-cat-adoptions-questioned/20061027182109990020?ncid=NWS00010000000001

There are some sick people in this world...........

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/00/02/20061028083009990001Janet, a black cat, will have to wait till after Nov. 2 to be adopted in Hayden, Idaho. A local shelter fears the animals could be mistreated in Halloween pranks.

By REBECCA BOONE, AP

BOISE, Idaho (Oct. 28) - A black cat won't cross your path this Halloween, not if a northern Idaho animal shelter can help it. Like many shelters around the country, the Kootenai Humane Society in Coeur d'Alene is prohibiting black cat adoptions from now to Nov. 2, fearing the animals could be mistreated in Halloween pranks - or worse, sacrificed in some satanic ritual.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/00/02/20061028082909990001Kootenai Humane Society shelter executive director Phil Morgan defends the ban. "If we prevent one animal from getting hurt, then it serves its purpose" Morgan said.

The shelter's executive director, Phil Morgan, said that while the risk may be remote, the policy will remain just in case.

"It's kind of an urban legend. But in the humane industry it's pretty typical that shelters don't do adoptions of black cats or white bunnies because of the whole satanic sacrificial thing," Morgan said. "If we prevent one animal from getting hurt, then it serves its purpose."

Some animal experts, however, say the practice does more to hurt animals than protect them.

Do you agree with the ban on black cat adoptions for Halloween?
Yes, it's a good idea 90%
No, it does more harm 10%
Total Votes: 319,851
Note on Poll Results

"Black cats already suffer a stigma because of their color," said Gail Buchwald, vice president of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals shelter in New York City. "Why penalize them any more by limiting the times when they can be adopted?"

Idaho Humane Society spokeswoman Dee Fugit said that while the temporary adoption bans used to be more common, several years of working in Idaho has proven to her there's no need for such measures.

"If somebody comes in here and they're strange enough that we'd question why they're adopting a black cat on Halloween, then we're probably not going to adopt any animal to them," Fugit said from her Boise office. "It doesn't seem to be a justifiable reason for not adopting black cats. We are absolutely inundated with cats that need homes right now."

Black cats tend to be adopted less often than other felines, Buchwald said.

Do you think black cats bring bad luck?
No 96%
Yes 4%
Total Votes: 315,997
Note on Poll Results

A study published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science in 2002 comparing coat color in shelter animals found that black or dark brown cats were much less likely to be adopted than white, gray or mixed-color cats, Buchwald said.

"Behaviorally, there's no difference from the color of the cat. It's tied into this whole mythology about the animal - don't let it cross your path or some foreboding or foreshadowing of evil - and that's an outdated superstition," she said.

It's not clear exactly how many shelters still seasonally ban black cat adoptions, said Kim Intino, the director of animal sheltering issues for The Humane Society of the United States, but it's a trend that seems to be fading - along with the once-common bans on bunny adoptions around Easter or puppy adoptions as Christmas gifts.

"If there were people out there performing rituals with animals, then I would think that Halloween would be a time for that, but a good adoption process would tend to weed that out," Intino said. "There's going to be incidents of weird abuse that happen no matter what. The remedy is not banning black cat adoptions."

As for pet-lovers dying to take home a feline in Kootenai County, the shelter is happy to adopt out animals, Morgan said. Would-be black-cat owners will simply have to wait a few days. There are plenty to choose from - out of 97 cats at the shelter, 28 are black, he said.

If nothing else, he said, the ban gives the shelter a chance to educate the public about other dangers pets may face during the Halloween season.

"It gives us a chance to remind people about safety and their pets. Always make sure that you keep Halloween candy out of the reach of pets, and if you own any cat I would make sure it stays inside. Dogs can get frightened by all the kids in costume, and the constant door opening of trick-or-treating gives animals a chance to run away," he said.

One of the best pets I ever had, as a kid,...was a black cat named Dell......

blonddgirl777
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Ban this...
Ban that...
Some people should just ban themselves!

Matt White
10-29-2006, 11:47 AM
HA!!!

But...there are a lot of FREAKS out there...who harm animals....

It's just a way of cutting down on the abuse.....

Nitro Express
10-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Their discriminating against the blacks again!

Nitro Express
10-29-2006, 01:56 PM
The more they want to ban stuff the more I sing "Breaking the law! Beaking the law! Isn't it all more fun when it's illegal?"

blonddgirl777
10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The more they want to ban stuff the more I sing "Breaking the law! Beaking the law!...

Ho... Grandma broke the law... she adopted a black cat!!! :rolleyes:
"Breaking the law! Beaking the law!" :rockit2:

Now why don't they make it illegal to breathe, eat and piss... that way they'll be sure to make money, fining EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME!

What has the world comt to? :o

Ally_Kat
10-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777

Now why don't they make it illegal to breathe, eat and piss... that way they'll be sure to make money, fining EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME!

They're temporarily banning the adoption of black cats because of the association to Halloween. Some freaks out there will hurt/kill the animal in something (prank, ritual, protest, etc) because of it.

I'm sure if you fnd a cat that is black that you can adopt it. You just have to wait til Nov 2nd to take it home.

blonddgirl777
10-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
They're temporarily banning the adoption of black cats because of the association to Halloween. Some freaks out there will hurt/kill the animal in something (prank, ritual, protest, etc) because of it.

I'm sure if you fnd a cat that is black that you can adopt it. You just have to wait til Nov 2nd to take it home.

Than if you own a black cat, you have to keep it inside at that time... to make sure it doesn't get kidnapped! :eek:

But then again, I own a white persian that doesn't go outside, because people kidnap them for resale...

What about people buying bunnies for kid's purposes at Easter? Most of them end up in a dumpster
(by Easter monday)!

I think that banning animal testings (of all kinds) should be the first priority as it would solve a bigger problem at a much bigger scale, when it comes to animal crualty...
The pharmaceutical doesn't discriminate on color (as far as I know)!

Nitro Express
10-29-2006, 11:42 PM

We need a revoiution. I think a healthy dose of citizen rebellion is in order.

blonddgirl777
10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
We need a revoiution. I think a healthy dose of citizen rebellion is in order.

Yes, because banning everything for everybody, taking away people's freedom is not the answer to EVERY problem...

The bottom line is if some people want to do something illegal (like adopting a black cat for sacrifice or molestation), they will...

Ally_Kat
10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Than if you own a black cat, you have to keep it inside at that time... to make sure it doesn't get kidnapped! :eek:

They're talking about people going to a shelter and adopting a black cat specifically for the purpose of killing it, not kidnapping someone else's pet. Altho, I'm sure there are some extreme people who might try to do that. But what the banning does is screen potential adopters. Many shelters do this already with required people to have references and the such. You can't just walk into a shelter anymore and pick up an animal.

And they do do this ban on Easter and Christmas because of the animals that get adopted and then dumped.

Nickdfresh
10-30-2006, 09:07 PM
How the hell am I supposed to do my Satanic ritual cat beheading if I can't adopt a fucking black cat from the SPCA?!?:mad:

Oh well, I'll just have to abduct the little girls kitty next door!

blonddgirl777
10-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
How the hell am I supposed to do my Satanic ritual cat beheading if I can't adopt a fucking black cat from the SPCA?!?:mad:

There will always be an alternative, no matter what the laws are...
Abducting is a lot easier (and faster) than adopting.

blonddgirl777
10-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
... You can't just walk into a shelter anymore and pick up an animal....

A friend of mine volunteers at an animal shelter (specialized in cats) in Berkeley Ca....
Eaven Madonna and Angelina couldn't just walk in there and adopt!

blonddgirl777
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Speaking of cats...

Today, I was painting my baby's dresser (purple).
My cat walked in and started to jump on the brush, as it was going up and down. I kept on sending her out of the room but she would always come back, to play.
When I finished, I took a look at her and realized she had half of one side purple!
Being white, it really shows... now I have to cut it off, if not, she will lick it and might get sick.

Thank God it wasn't oil based!

What a "bad mother" I am... L.O.L.

Matt White
10-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

The sacrifices we have to make in this country...............:mad:

knuckleboner
10-31-2006, 11:26 AM

I think that banning animal testings (of all kinds) should be the first priority as it would solve a bigger problem at a much bigger scale, when it comes to animal crualty...
The pharmaceutical doesn't discriminate on color (as far as I know)!

no way. animal testing for medical purposes is vitally important. there's no chance i want some kid to die because we were afraid to test his medication on some rats.

cosmetic testing? eh...i'm agnotstic. ban it if you want. but medical testing? have at it...

blonddgirl777
10-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
no way. animal testing for medical purposes is vitally important. there's no chance i want some kid to die because we were afraid to test his medication on some rats.

cosmetic testing? eh...i'm agnotstic. ban it if you want. but medical testing? have at it...

It's the fisrt time I hear someone being PRO animal testing (by the pharmaceutical)...

I hear a lot of protesters claiming that it has been proven to be useless and that we can come up with some good medications without it but I am certainly not an expert on that matter.

I think that it's the way it's all done that bothers people the most...
When Green Peace (or others) show us those videos, I can't watch.

Again, you have the Chinese that are killing all of our bears for some of their superficial purposes (ex.: sexual vitality), the tigers, elephants etc... I know, the Chinese are not the only ones doing that but they are responsible for our bears, that, we all know.

Some people will say that "eating meet is murder"... I don't agree with that. I am a vegetarian (for the hate of meet's taste only) but I beleive than mankind eats red meet for a good reason...

Yes, we are on top of the food chain but with all of our emotions and wisdom, we shoudn't abuse our privileges!

blonddgirl777
10-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
... cosmetic testing? eh...i'm agnotstic...

There is so much make-up out there, that hasn't been tested on animals...
A woman (with regular skin) has to be totally careless to still encourage the old practices!

knuckleboner
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes, we are on top of the food chain but with all of our emotions and wisdom, we shoudn't abuse our privileges!

i agree completely with that.

but, i'll have to take your word for it on the women's makeup...;)