PDA

View Full Version : preview for the new Rocky movie

Terry
10-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, caught a glimpse of the new Rocky movie in the coming attractions features while waiting for the main feature to start...

Think I previously mentioned that I had no interest in seeing it, but have had a change of heart.

Far as I can tell, Paulie's in it, the bald, black dude who was Apollo Creed's trainer is in it, what looked like the kid who played Rocky's son in Rocky V is in it, and there was a quick cut of Rocky talking to an older lady who didn't look like Talia Shire, or at least the Shire I remember....but I haven't seen her in anything since Rocky V anyway....at any rate, I couldn't say for sure based on the trailer if "Yo, Adrian" is in it or not.

Rocky's fighting in this one, taking on some young buck. It just looks so bad but somehow feels so right; turned to the missus, fully expecting her to say she wouldn't go, so I opened my mouth and was about to say "I'm seeing it" when she instead said, "We're GOING to that!". I laughed and said, "Oh, it's on!"

Think it comes out in December.

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
here you go...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ms7NrcI2P-U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ms7NrcI2P-U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
another one...shit...I will be fucking there ...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xe8P2mdhPAE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xe8P2mdhPAE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM
fuck you all...I've just watched both teasers again...and...

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT :D

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
and also this one :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOUYHfmrRBs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOUYHfmrRBs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hvz_bqxNhK0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hvz_bqxNhK0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Credited cast:
Sylvester Stallone .... Rocky Balboa
Burt Young .... Paulie
Milo Ventimiglia .... Rocky Balboa Jr.
Geraldine Hughes .... Marie
Antonio Tarver .... Mason 'The Line' Dixon
James Francis Kelly III .... Steps
Tony Burton .... Duke
Henry G. Sanders .... Martin

rest of cast listed alphabetically:

Michael Ahl .... Restaurant patron
Marvin Beck .... Businessman in Irish Pub
Frank Bednarz .... Ring Side Boxing Fan
A.J. Benza .... L.C. Luco
James Binns .... Boxing Commissioner
Ron Borges .... Reporter
Angela Boyd .... Drunk Girl At Bar
Livingstone Bramble .... Dixon's Cornerman
Michael Buffer .... Himself
D.T. Carney .... Ringside Spectator
Tim Carr .... Buddy
Rick Collum .... Office Worker
Joe Cortez .... Referee
Sal Darigo .... Fish monger
Peter Defeo .... Vendor

Tony Devon .... Neighbor

Nancy de Zutter .... Restaurant Patron
Lou DiBella .... Robert Brown (attached)
Jacob 'Stitch' Duran .... Cut Man
Bernard Fernández .... Reporter

Barney Fitzpatrick .... Commissioner #3
Gavin Lindsay Goode .... Ringside Photo-Journalist
Rick Guzman .... Ringside Photographer

Frank Hansen .... Bar Patron
Norman Horton .... Fight Publicist
Kevin Iole .... Reporter
Charles Johnson .... Reporter
Michael Wingate Jones .... Lawyer
Max Kellerman .... Commentator
Brian Kenny .... Broadcaster
Jim Lampley .... Commentator
Traci Law .... Bar Patron
Pedro Lovell .... Spider Rico
Anthony Maurizio .... Robert Brown's Entourage #1
Larry Merchant .... Commentator

Paul Dion Monte .... Robert 'Rocky' Jr.'s Friend

Keith Moyer .... Bar Patron
Chris Philip .... Bar Patron

Mark Pricskett .... Restaurant Patron
Dan Rafael .... Reporter
Marc Ratner .... Boxing Commissioner
Jim Rome .... Sportscaster
Nina Rosario .... Philadelphia Extra

Kenny Shapiro .... Precision Driver

Talia Shire .... Adrian (archive footage)
Bert Randolph Sugar .... Reporter
Lahmard J. Tate .... X-Cell

Michael A. Tessiero .... Ring side Highroller #3 (as MikieeT)

Frank Traynor .... Lawyer
James Tunnicliffe .... Bar Patron

Ali Zamani .... Camera Man

Samantha Zweben .... Adrian's driver

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm all over it. I've always been a fan of the franchise, and Stallone looks better now than he did 20 years ago...best time in the world for him to do one last Rocky film. Hell, I even liked Rocky 5 enough to be entertained by it, and that was the worst installment in all of the films.

The REAL question is, will Survivor be on the soundtrack?!?!?

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
"fire makes steal" seems to be the theme song...by...SURVIVOR!!!

Seshmeister
11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Talk about flogging a dead horse after it's jumped over a shark a few times...

It's not like the tiny non actor needs the money.

DavidLeeNatra
11-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Talk about flogging a dead horse after it's jumped over a shark a few times...

It's not like the tiny non actor needs the money.

oh...shut up, sesh...it's rocky...rocky motherfucking balboa... :D

bueno bob
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
"fire makes steal" seems to be the theme song...by...SURVIVOR!!!

You mean I'm actually fucking RIGHT?

That's some funny shit right there :)

binnie
11-08-2006, 03:36 AM
lookin' froward to it.

You know exactly what you're gonna get, but hey, I always lied them....

DavidLeeNatra
11-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
You mean I'm actually fucking RIGHT?

That's some funny shit right there :)

rumor on a german site...we'll see ;)

EbDawson
12-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Saw the movie today. It was very good. If you're a Rocky fan, I'd recommend it. Dialogue was good without being corny or cheesy. And the film tried to be realistic in the approach of a 59-60 year old guy fighting a guy in his prime. Won't give anything away but even his training was realistic to that end.

Funny part in the movie, Rocky owns/runs an Italian restaurant. At one point he goes down to the kitchen to check on something. It's all Mexicans working in the kitchen, got their music playing and everything. Realistic I guess, funny too. Crowd here in San Diego liked it.

Paulie was cool, chick from the Office is in it, second banana role, no dopey love story though. Tarver did a good job. I give the thing a thumbs up.

Terry
12-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Going to see it this weekend.

Can't wait!

Douglas T.
12-22-2006, 07:45 PM
http://www.freakingnews.com/entries/25000/25418-Rocky-60-Year-Old-Virgin_w.jpg

bueno bob
12-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Saw the movie today. It was very good. If you're a Rocky fan, I'd recommend it. Dialogue was good without being corny or cheesy. And the film tried to be realistic in the approach of a 59-60 year old guy fighting a guy in his prime. Won't give anything away but even his training was realistic to that end.

Funny part in the movie, Rocky owns/runs an Italian restaurant. At one point he goes down to the kitchen to check on something. It's all Mexicans working in the kitchen, got their music playing and everything. Realistic I guess, funny too. Crowd here in San Diego liked it.

Paulie was cool, chick from the Office is in it, second banana role, no dopey love story though. Tarver did a good job. I give the thing a thumbs up.

"But he's no bum, he works down the street,
He bought the neighborhood deli...

It's the Rye or the Keiser
or the Wheat or the White
if you want, you can have an appetizer..."

LOL

Thanks for the review, it sounds great.

Terry
12-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson

Caught it tonight.

Have to agree with EbDawson. Went into the thing totally expecting cheese, but Stallone made a good flick. Had all the potential to turn out ridiculous, but didn't.

Kinda wistful thinking of all the great flicks Stallone was in or made, and it was kinda sad that much like the Rocky character, the perception on Sly is that he has nothing left to offer.

The crowd I saw it with liked it too. People clapped at the end of the training sequence (once you hear the Rocky theme, you'd have to be dead not to get pumped up) and at the end of the movie.

Rewatched 5 before seeing this one, and I have to say that I enjoyed 5 much more than I remembered, too.

DavidLeeNatra
12-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Terry
(once you hear the Rocky theme, you'd have to be dead not to get pumped up)

ain't that the fucking truth...I got it in the middle of my running tape to get over my "dead point" after 10km...works perfectly...

POJO_Risin
12-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I saw it the day it opened...

and here's what I liked...

1. The script was decent. It's obvious that Stallone does have a bit of talent...and that he didn't shit it all out after the first Rocky. I liked the addition of the chick that told him to piss off in Rocky 2 or 3...or whatever...and his and her role in his life. I like the fact that it's a friendship, nothing more, and that they both help each other regain their footing. It was a bit recanned from old movies...and there were a couple of things I thought they could do to put this movie right with the first. I'll get to that later...

2. The cast was good. Stallone IS the role. And he did a great job making his life seem as humdrum as it was, after his wife died. You know, I kept thinking that it's unrealistic that he didn't have more MONEY...however...I realized at one point, that he didn't have the desire to MAKE money...or do anything after his wife died. Pretty good stuff. He makes his life living where he did with his wife, working in a restaurant named after his wife, visiting all the spots he spent with his wife on the anniversary of her death. I liked the chick that played the girl/Rock's friend in the movie. She had some angst...but wasn't pathetic. A good mix. But Paulie is the backbone of the movie. He let's us know the real shit of the movie...but what's real about this movie is Stallone's relationship with the everyman in PHilly. You get a true sense that Rocky is part of the Philly psyche, and when he was buying shit for his restaurant, you can bet that Stallone is treated that way for real, and so would Balboa. He's one of them, and Stallone did an incredible job of getting that through in this movie. It MADE the movie, if you ask me.

3. The BIG pieces of the movie was there. Look. If you aren't siked when he starts training...and the music starts, then you are dead....period. I was watching it, thinking, damn, this is it...

The funniest damn piece of the movie is when Apollo's old trainer was telling him he couldn't spar, move fast, or basically do anything...lmfao...and Paulie's interlude...

of course...Paulie sneaking him into the meat plant to hammer on some cows...

and damn, Stallone is fucking ripped...at what...60...61?

4. The fact that stallone created a relationship with someone half his age...and it was more brother and sister...than anything else. Both down and out...but bring each other up...without bringing each other up...if you get what I mean...

What I didn't like?

1. How neatly his deal with his son was wrapped up. There was genuine irritation there, and Rock literally ended it with one conversation (a great one though). But his kid basically let's it all go in one night, quits his job, and moves in with Dad.

2. Steps--look, the idea was great. Here's a kid that was replacing his kid...a great idea...but when they wrapped it up so neatly with little sly...this line didn't make any sense.

3. Tarver--I couldn't stand looking at the dude. Seriously...he had that damn big pink lip...and it drove me mad. Plus, he had no scratch. There was just no heat. I think THAT part of the script sucked. At one point, I thought, hmmm...they are setting this kid up really good...not as a bad guy, but as someone looking for a bit of Rock's heart. He had to face adversity before coming out as a real champ. This is what they were going for. They even gave the kid a "Mick." Now, had they have set this up a bit more (they did these great cutaways to show what Mason Dixon was doing throughout the movie...just not enough of them), it could have been an even better movie. But about halfway through...they abandoned that for a bit...trying to make him "evil" at the press conference. They either needed to make him flat out evil...or flat out good...and have the press making him evil. Make it real questions...is Rock going to beat this kid that has so much to win by winning?

3. The ONLY time Stallone looked old was in the fight sequences...and I'm not sure why. I think it was because Tarver didn't know how to ACT like a fighter...at one point it looked like they were having a slap fight. They needed to go out and get an actor who could box...it would have been more credible...as silly as that sounds.

All in all...a great fight...

and I absolutely loved the way they made the Balboa fight an HBO fight...and it was literally like Kellerman, Merchant and what's his face were doing an HBO pay per view...

at one point Kellerman says, "I can't believe that I'm sitting here about to announce a Rocky Balboa fight..."

and you believe him...

professionally done...and well done...

a great flick...

Now...let's hope that Stallone has this same idea with Rambo...

Sarge's Little Helper
12-23-2006, 07:50 PM

1. The script was decent. It's obvious that Stallone does have a bit of talent...and that he didn't shit it all out after the first Rocky. I liked the addition of the chick that told him to piss off in Rocky 2 or 3...or whatever...and his and her role in his life. I like the fact that it's a friendship, nothing more, and that they both help each other regain their footing. It was a bit recanned from old movies...and there were a couple of things I thought they could do to put this movie right with the first. I'll get to that later...

2. The cast was good. Stallone IS the role. And he did a great job making his life seem as humdrum as it was, after his wife died. You know, I kept thinking that it's unrealistic that he didn't have more MONEY...however...I realized at one point, that he didn't have the desire to MAKE money...or do anything after his wife died. Pretty good stuff. He makes his life living where he did with his wife, working in a restaurant named after his wife, visiting all the spots he spent with his wife on the anniversary of her death. I liked the chick that played the girl/Rock's friend in the movie. She had some angst...but wasn't pathetic. A good mix. But Paulie is the backbone of the movie. He let's us know the real shit of the movie...but what's real about this movie is Stallone's relationship with the everyman in PHilly. You get a true sense that Rocky is part of the Philly psyche, and when he was buying shit for his restaurant, you can bet that Stallone is treated that way for real, and so would Balboa. He's one of them, and Stallone did an incredible job of getting that through in this movie. It MADE the movie, if you ask me.

3. The BIG pieces of the movie was there. Look. If you aren't siked when he starts training...and the music starts, then you are dead....period. I was watching it, thinking, damn, this is it...

The funniest damn piece of the movie is when Apollo's old trainer was telling him he couldn't spar, move fast, or basically do anything...lmfao...and Paulie's interlude...

4. The fact that stallone created a relationship with someone half his age...and it was more brother and sister...than anything else. Both down and out...but bring each other up...without bringing each other up...if you get what I mean...

What I didn't like?

1. How neatly his deal with his son was wrapped up. There was genuine irritation there, and Rock literally ended it with one conversation (a great one though). But his kid basically let's it all go in one night, quits his job, and moves in with Dad.

2. Steps--look, the idea was great. Here's a kid that was replacing his kid...a great idea...but when they wrapped it up so neatly with little sly...this line didn't make any sense.

3. Tarver--I couldn't stand looking at the dude. Seriously...he had that damn big pink lip...and it drove me mad. Plus, he had no scratch. There was just no heat. I think THAT part of the script sucked. At one point, I thought, hmmm...they are setting this kid up really good...not as a bad guy, but as someone looking for a bit of Rock's heart. He had to face adversity before coming out as a real champ. This is what they were going for. They even gave the kid a "Mick." Now, had they have set this up a bit more (they did these great cutaways to show what Mason Dixon was doing throughout the movie...just not enough of them), it could have been an even better movie. But about halfway through...they abandoned that for a bit...trying to make him "evil" at the press conference. They either needed to make him flat out evil...or flat out good...and have the press making him evil. Make it real questions...is Rock going to beat this kid that has so much to win by winning?

3. The ONLY time Stallone looked old was in the fight sequences...and I'm not sure why. I think it was because Tarver didn't know how to ACT like a fighter...at one point it looked like they were having a slap fight. They needed to go out and get an actor who could box...it would have been more credible...as silly as that sounds.

and I absolutely loved the way they made the Balboa fight an HBO fight...and it was literally like Kellerman, Merchant and what's his face were doing an HBO pay per view...

at one point Kellerman says, "I can't believe that I'm sitting here about to announce a Rocky Balboa fight..."

and you believe him...

a great flick...

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

EbDawson
12-24-2006, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I liked the addition of the chick that told him to piss off in Rocky 2 or 3...or whatever...

Rocky (1)

Terry
12-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

What I didn't like?

and you believe him...

a great flick...

The relationship between Rocky and his son was breezed over a bit quickly, agreed. And I also agree that Rocky's opponent in this movie was the least menacing out of any of the movies in the series, but in many ways I'm coming around to the viewpoint that the first two Rocky movies and the the last two Rocky movies in the series (V and Balboa) are the strongest of the bunch.

But the Rambo series should just be left alone. First Blood was a great movie, and I liked Rambo:First Blood 2 fine for what it was, which was just some mindless action, but the third movie just plain stunk...I suppose Rambo could go in and fight in Iraq or something, but...well, then again, I did think Rocky Balboa was gonna be a stinker and it wasn't, so fuck it. Give Sly a shot.

blonddgirl777
12-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Enough with the "Rocky's" already! :o

That kind of shit makes me hate the American movie culture... :rolleyes:

EbDawson
12-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Enough with the "Rocky's" already! :o

I wouldn't worry, this is it, No Mas! And there will always be plenty of reasons to hate movies down here.

Where are the new John Fords?

ULTRAMAN VH
01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Finally got to see Rocky Balboa over the weekend and I have to say it was really good. I was a huge fan of the 1st three and this latest reinvention was done in the same style. Stallone really created a fine movie to send Rocky out on top. The guy is in amazing shape for a sixty year old man.

Mr Badguy
01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

It made me want to watch the rest of the films again and it`s great how many of the same people and locations show up from the first film, also the similarity of the endings of "Rocky" and "Rocky Balboa", bringing the series full circle.

I give it a thumbs up.