PDA

View Full Version : Bush Brother Gets No Child Left Behind Contracts

LoungeMachine
10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Company led by Bush's brother getting No Child money

Associated Press

HOUSTON - At least 13 school districts are using money from President Bush's signature education law, No Child Left Behind, to buy products from a company run by his brother and partly owned by their parents, a newspaper reported.

Neil Bush's Ignite! Learning has placed its products in 40 U.S. school districts, sometimes through donations or grants from foundations and companies with political ties to the Bushes, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 provides federal funds to help school districts better serve disadvantaged students and improve their performance, especially in reading and math. Ignite does not offer reading instruction, and its math program will not be available until next year.

The company's products are geared toward middle school social studies, history and science.

Neil Bush said in an e-mail to the Times that Ignite's program had demonstrated success in improving the test scores of economically disadvantaged children. He said political influence had not played a role in Ignite's rapid growth.

"As our business matures in the USA, we have plans to expand overseas and to work with many distinguished individuals in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa," he wrote. "Not one of these associates by the way has ever asked for any access to either of my political brothers, not one White House tour, not one autographed photo, and not one Lincoln bedroom overnight stay."

Neil Bush and his parents, who live in Houston, did not immediately return calls to The Associated Press seeking comment Monday.

The use of No Child law funding to buy Ignite products was reported previously in Business Week.

The U.S. Department of Education does not monitor individual school district expenditures under the No Child law, but sets guidelines that states are expected to enforce, spokesman Chad Colby said.

Ignite's portable learning centers cost $3,800 each and are known as COWS, or Curriculum on Wheels. The large, purple devices can be wheeled between classrooms and plugged in, offering lessons for a roomful of students. The centers entice students with catchy jingles and videos featuring cartoon characters like Mr. Bighead and Norman Einstein.

Earlier this year, former first lady Barbara Bush gave an undisclosed amount to a Hurricane Katrina relief foundation for victims who had relocated to Houston. But she stipulated that the donation be used for local schools to buy Ignite's COWs.

The company has sold 1,700 COWs, and Texas accounts for 75 percent of Ignite's business, said Ignite executive Tom Deliganis. The company also has sold the learning centers in North Carolina, Virginia, Nevada, California, the District of Columbia, Georgia and Florida, he said.

In addition to federal and state money, foundations and corporations have helped districts acquire Ignite products. The Washington Times Foundation, backed by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, head of the South Korea-based Unification Church, has put COWs in Virginia classrooms under a $1 million grant.

The Times reported that Aramco Services Co., an arm of the Saudi-owned oil company, also has donated COWs to schools, as have Apache Corp., BP and Shell Oil Co.

Neil Bush said he is a businessman who does not attempt to exert political influence, and he called the Times' inquiries "entirely political."

Bush's parents joined him as Ignite investors in 1999, the Times reported, based on Securities and Exchange Commission documents. The newspaper said other investors in Ignite include Boris A. Berezovsky, the Russian fugitive business tycoon; Mohammed Al Saddah, the head of a Kuwaiti company; and Winston Wong, the head of a Chinese computer firm.

LoungeMachine
10-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Bush's parents joined him as Ignite investors in 1999, the Times reported, based on Securities and Exchange Commission documents. The newspaper said other investors in Ignite include Boris A. Berezovsky, the Russian fugitive business tycoon; Mohammed Al Saddah, the head of a Kuwaiti company; and Winston Wong, the head of a Chinese computer firm.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Any Cons care to comment?

ODShowtime
11-01-2006, 07:42 PM
One thing I do is analyze government purchasing systems. The Town I'm working on now has an ordinance in place that would stop this exact thing.

Because it should be illegal.

It's not politics, it's common sense and good fiscal controls.

[crickets chirping]

Fucking morons. I'm surrounded by them.

DEMON CUNT
11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Right. Cash and carry government- Bush style.

Meanwhile, the conservative anti-spenders around here have nothing to say about this.

Their "I don't like the all spending" rhetoric is just bullshit they spew to avoid appearing as the Bush apple-polishers that they really are.

Nickdfresh
11-01-2006, 08:51 PM
No child left behind is an underfunded fucking joke...

knuckleboner
11-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
No child left behind is an underfunded fucking joke...

absolutely.

it's a huge unfunded mandate.

i don't care if ted kennedy co-sponsored it. bush pushed it through as part of his "education president" platform. and localities across the country were forced to raise local taxes to pay for it.

(so much for the bush tax cuts...)

ODShowtime
11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
bush pushed it through as part of his "education president" platform. and localities across the country were forced to raise local taxes to pay for it.

yeah, so they can buy stupid-ass purple tvs from gw's brother. Some parts of the program are well funded I guess.

Don't they already have TVs and computers in schools? Why do they need some $4000 piece of shit from gw's brother?

:rolleyes:

gw&friends have spent a shitload of federal dollars, but they've pushed millions of dollars in other costs to state and local municipalities.

The true cost of their looting of this great Country can never be calculated.

knuckleboner
11-01-2006, 11:02 PM
eh, i'm guessing the vast majority of localities are spending the funding properly. the problem is there isn't near enough of it.

FORD
11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Neil Bush sure gets himself into a lot of dirty shit. BCCI.... savings and loan scams. child prostitutes in Thailand, and now cashing in on education and Katrina.

Guess that's one member of the BCE we never have to worry about running for office.

ODShowtime
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Safavian

On November 4th, 2003, President George W. Bush announced Safavian's nomination to be the Administrator for Federal Procurement Policy, Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President.[5], where he set purchasing policy for the entire government.

David Safavian was indicted October 5, 2005. He was accused of making false statements and obstructing investigations into his dealings with Jack Abramoff while he was chief of staff for the General Services Administration. His trial started May 25, 2006. Guilty verdicts on four of five felony counts of lying and obstruction were returned June 20.

On October 27, 2006, U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman sentenced Safavian to 18 months in prison.

So this clown gets 1 1/2 years for obstructing justice... and we're supposed to think nothing else fishy is going on?

While gw's brother is selling schools $4000 computers? WTF??

ODShowtime
11-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
eh, i'm guessing the vast majority of localities are spending the funding properly. the problem is there isn't near enough of it.

No, I'm talking about all the costs gw&friends have either pushed off of the federal budget for the locals to pay instead (so they don't have to pay it with federal tax dollars and put it on the federal budget), and the costs locals have to pay because of the bullshit terror war gw&friends have helped inflame.

The fucked up purchasing I'm bitching about is happening at the federal level.

Two separate bitches here.