PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the new The Who album!

Gringo
11-01-2006, 09:37 AM
I bought the new The Who album yesterday, and wow what i comeback-album! 24 years since the last one(that one sucked...), and it was worth the wait! Very good album with 19 new songs(10 of them a mini opera).
It reminds me of my favourite The Who album "Who's Next". The same style of high quality Pete Townshend-songs.

You guys should check it out!

Last_Child
11-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Nice!

Jack68
11-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Gringo
I bought the new The Who album yesterday, and wow what i comeback-album! 24 years since the last one(that one sucked...), and it was worth the wait! Very good album with 19 new songs(10 of them a mini opera).
It reminds me of my favourite The Who album "Who's Next". The same style of high quality Pete Townshend-songs.

You guys should check it out!
I wouldnt even dare compare it to whos next.It is a great album nontheless and it is much better live as the who are and always were a live act.Im grateful to have a new album and i definitely think they did a great job.I think its more of a mix of quad/scoop and who by numbers.

Jérôme Frenchise
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
The two tracks that were posted here a little while ago were fucking boring...
I guess that there's "something to eat" on that album at least. :cool:

Gringo
11-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Jack68, you're right about Who's Next. I didn't mean to compare the new one to that album, just that the music is in the same genre and the quality is surprisingly good, since the 2 songs released on their latest Best of-album sucked... Pete Townshend is still a pretty good songwriter.
Who's Next is of course one of the best albums in the history of rockmusic. Period!

Gringo

Alex Mogilny
11-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I listened to it last night at the gym on my ipod....I am very well pleased with the album. There was only one really weak song in my opinion.

I think this is the best album they have put out since "by numbers".

Very strong effort.

I also heard that they are going to add many more US dates in the spring but I am not counting on a Nashville date.

philouze
11-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Endless Wire is imho their best studio work since Quadrophenia..
Of course, Daltrey's voice is not that strong anymore, but fuck, the motherfucker can sing.

I went to see them in Lyon on July 17th, and men... wow.
Pete & Rog still kick ass big time. Period.

Gringo
11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by philouze
Of course, Daltrey's voice is not that strong anymore, but fuck, the motherfucker can sing.

You lucky bastard! The Who hasn't played in Norway since '88-'89(to early for me).
I hope they visit us next year. I've always wanted to see The Who live.

Jack68
11-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by philouze

With the american release i have there is a dvd with it from your show lyons/france july 17th 2006.fucking amazing....only has 5 songs though
1.cant explain
2.behind blue eyes
3.mike post theme
4.baba oriley
5.wont get fooled again.
Seems like an amazing place to see a show.

The_KiD
11-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I sampled the new album today and found it mediocre at best..

KiD

Jack68
11-04-2006, 10:27 PM
No lyric about sunshine and booze bro..Probably over your head .

Jack68
11-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Preemptive strike..Go fuck yourself.Jackass.

Jack68
11-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Skyscraper it isnt .What a masterpiece.

BrownSound1
11-06-2006, 06:25 PM
They shouldn't even be called The Who anymore...

Gringo
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1

Why? Bands change their lineups all the time. Van Halen, Kiss, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and many others...
Pete Townshend write the songs now just like in the old days anyway, and with Roger Daltrey singing them together with him just like before.
Zak Starkey is a very good drummer. Maybe not as "wild" as Keith Moon but fits well in the band. Pino Palladino on bass is one of the best bassplayers out there, and does a very good job in the band.
I think, that as long as both Townshend and Daltrey is keeping the legacy alive and writing new songs, they should do it.

ThrillsNSpills
11-06-2006, 07:01 PM

The Two, maybe.

diamondD
11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I thought it was originally supposed to be called Who2, but I guess that changed.

I've never been a big fan of any Who album all the way thru, and this one is no exception. Nothing really got me excited about it.

Wawazat
11-07-2006, 04:46 AM
I listened to that crap twice,

please wait another 23 years for next release Mr. Townsend

thank you.

BALLYJUNKIE
11-13-2006, 06:44 AM
i love zak starkey (ringo"s kid) ... its great that hes playing on a real who album,not just touring ...... he was heavely influenced by keith moon ,and the who are his heroes ..... unbeliveable that zak and ringo have such diffrent styles of drumming .

Casemeister
11-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Zak only plays on one song on the album, "Black Widow's Eyes." The album would really benefit from his playing, IMO, but even on that song the drums are mixed way back.

It's a great album. 4 stars, perhaps. Ever notice how EVERY negative review seems to focus on either their age, the idea that they shouldn't be called the Who anymore, or both? And every wise-ass journalist just has to mention Pete's troubles a few years back to try and seem edgy or something. It seems that when people speak of today's Who, it's the same old shit. If they'd just listen to the music and give it a chance, they'd be impressed.

Jack68
11-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Casemeister
Zak only plays on one song on the album, "Black Widow's Eyes." The album would really benefit from his playing, IMO, but even on that song the drums are mixed way back.

It's a great album. 4 stars, perhaps. Ever notice how EVERY negative review seems to focus on either their age, the idea that they shouldn't be called the Who anymore, or both? And every wise-ass journalist just has to mention Pete's troubles a few years back to try and seem edgy or something. It seems that when people speak of today's Who, it's the same old shit. If they'd just listen to the music and give it a chance, they'd be impressed.

Well put.Zak does only play on BWE.Fragments with Zak is incredible live.

Steve Savicki
11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Who's the new drummer?

Jack68
11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Who's the new drummer?
Zak is the drummer,he was on tour with oasis when it was recorded.

BrownSound1
11-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Gringo
Why? Bands change their lineups all the time. Van Halen, Kiss, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and many others...
Pete Townshend write the songs now just like in the old days anyway, and with Roger Daltrey singing them together with him just like before.
Zak Starkey is a very good drummer. Maybe not as "wild" as Keith Moon but fits well in the band. Pino Palladino on bass is one of the best bassplayers out there, and does a very good job in the band.
I think, that as long as both Townshend and Daltrey is keeping the legacy alive and writing new songs, they should do it.

Half of the band is DEAD for one thing. No matter who they get to replace Keith and John, it still won't be The Who. You are not going to honestly sit there and tell me that a Townshend/Daltrey album is The Who, because it isn't The Who. Hell, why not call Pete Townshend's solo shit The Who, afterall he wrote the music. Heck he sang some Who tunes, so since he sung on his solo albums that qualifies with your logic.

At least Jimmy Page and Robert Plant had sense enough not to call themselves Led Zeppelin when they toured in the 90s. Page wrote the songs and Plant sang them...but it is NOT fucking Led goddamn Zeppelin.

Now let me say this, when a band has a single member die, then I can see maybe carrying on with a replacement and keeping the same name. AC/DC comes to mind as a good example of this. However, when you lose HALF of your band, well that changes things. Lynyrd Skynyrd is a prime example of why a band should change its name after losing certain key members. Those guys suck ass now.

Van Halen is a prime example of a revolving door of personnel. When Roth left and they got Hagar to replace him the band changed musically. That was not Van Halen, and the name should have changed!

Blind Faith....heck they had 2/3s of Cream, but that wasn't Cream now was it.

Dan
11-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Half of the band is DEAD for one thing. No matter who they get to replace Keith and John, it still won't be The Who. You are not going to honestly sit there and tell me that a Townshend/Daltrey album is The Who, because it isn't The Who. Hell, why not call Pete Townshend's solo shit The Who, afterall he wrote the music. Heck he sang some Who tunes, so since he sung on his solo albums that qualifies with your logic.

At least Jimmy Page and Robert Plant had sense enough not to call themselves Led Zeppelin when they toured in the 90s. Page wrote the songs and Plant sang them...but it is NOT fucking Led goddamn Zeppelin.

Now let me say this, when a band has a single member die, then I can see maybe carrying on with a replacement and keeping the same name. AC/DC comes to mind as a good example of this. However, when you lose HALF of your band, well that changes things. Lynyrd Skynyrd is a prime example of why a band should change its name after losing certain key members. Those guys suck ass now.

Van Halen is a prime example of a revolving door of personnel. When Roth left and they got Hagar to replace him the band changed musically. That was not Van Halen, and the name should have changed!

Amen to that BS1.

Jack68
11-19-2006, 08:53 AM

Cant argue with you.We all know the who is a brand name and that will sell more then Townsend and daltrey.i really think they would of gotten more cred calling it the two.Kinda spinal tapish but i like it.as for Page and plant yeah,the zep legacy is still in tact even though the collarboration they did a few years ago clarksdale or whatever was horific.Keep the indian music in india unless your George Harrison.I just wanted new music and a chance to see them live again life is short enough.Do you really think if page didnt dimish his skills so badly due to heroin use(and arthritus) that Plant might of considered something.I saw them on the Plant and page tour and it was awful not too mention plants singing which has been gone since probably now and zen.
If Entwistle wasnt a jackass doing coke at 57 and treating his health like absoloute shit and was still alive and then put out Endless wire with Zak on drums would you consider it?Moon has been dead for almost 30 years and his playing from 76-78 was abominable.I crack up when people say when moon died man that was it..no it wasnt the band played better shows in 79 -81 then they did with moon in 75 because he was hope less.Losing Entwistle with Zak in the wings was awful ..