PDA

View Full Version : An American Heavyweight Champion

binnie
11-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find the thread

Shannon Briggs floors Liakhovich for WBO crown

AP, PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Monday, Nov 06, 2006, Page 19

Advertising Shannon Briggs won the World Boxing Organization heavyweight title on Saturday night, stopping Sergei Liakhovich of Belarus with a second left in the 12th round.
Briggs, a 34-year-old from Brooklyn, New York, floored the champion with a pair of heavy right hands with 27 seconds remaining in the bout. After Liakhovich rose, Briggs hit him with three more punches and was trying to land another when Liakhovich tumbled through the ropes without being hit.

Referee Bobby Ferrara called the fight at 2:59, and Liakhovich (23-2, 14 KOs) sat in a ringside chair for several minutes before returning to the ring.

Briggs improved to 48-4-1.

It was the first title defense for Liakhovich.

The late flurry was the only real action in the entire fight.

The Don King promotion was the first heavyweight title fight in Arizona history, and judging by the angry reaction of the sparse Chase Field crowd, it may be the last for a while.

Many began booing as the fighters slowly circled for the first 30 seconds.

Liakhovich's strategy seemed to be to avoid Briggs' powerful punches. Briggs, whose nickname is "The Cannon," had promised to knock Liakhovich out within two rounds but threw few punches.

The boos grew louder as neither man mounted anything resembling an attack in the second and third rounds.

At one point in the fourth round, Liakhovich leaned against the ropes with his hands in front of his face but Briggs refused to punch him.

Briggs fought for the title for the second time. In his other title bout in 1998, he was stopped by Lennox Lewis.
This story has been viewed 140 times.

binnie
11-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Finally Briggs comes good. He was always a "never was" rather than a "has been", finally won a belt.

To me Liakhovich was the best of the Russians, and I'm glad Briggs won.

The Russians don't seem to like fighting one and other, so hopefully now Briggs' promotion will get some fights with the other bigs guys and we can get some interest back in the heavyweight division.

Briggs is a big puncher and I think a match with Klitchsko would be the safest bet, as the later has a glass jaw (unlike his brother.) This would also prove good practice for fighting against a much taller guy, someting he would need to take on Valuev.

The only worrying point for me is fittness. Neither of the Russians have much in the way of skill or blistering power (they are champions by default, right?). Briggs looked exhausted after the first round on Saturday. Not good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: drop 20-30lbs! There is no need to go into the ring over 230lbs anyone that big can knock a guy out, especially someone with Brigg's power. If he dropped some weight he'd be fitter, be able to wear his opponents down and be faster to get past the jabs of these big Russians.

Well thats my take any how....

binnie
11-22-2006, 03:55 AM
For anyone who didn't see it

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wl4a1PNoxgw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wl4a1PNoxgw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ALinChainz
11-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Dude, Briggs did not "do good"

He was losing this fight big time and only came alive in the final 90 seconds. He basically won the first and last round. The Russian who had a piss-poor fight, was still beating Briggs and had he fell onto the table through the ropes, he could have gotten back in and maybe survived and won a decision.

He was doing nothing to make you think that he was even INTO the fight. He was throwing MAYBE 10 punches in a round.

He won't make it past his first defense.

WARF
11-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Al, sent you a deal at nba.com

binnie
11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Dude, Briggs did not "do good"

He was losing this fight big time and only came alive in the final 90 seconds. He basically won the first and last round. The Russian who had a piss-poor fight, was still beating Briggs and had he fell onto the table through the ropes, he could have gotten back in and maybe survived and won a decision.

He was doing nothing to make you think that he was even INTO the fight. He was throwing MAYBE 10 punches in a round.

He won't make it past his first defense.

Maybe not.

But Briggs is trhe most dangerous heavyweight for the first 4 rounds (that's not saying much at the moment though is it?) Klitchsko's peole have been avoiding him because of that power he packs.

Totally agree that he needs to work on fitness - I say drop 30 lbs...

What you've gotta remember is that Liakovich was probably the Russian with the best skills.

Do you see any of the other Russians been able to out power Briggs? Klitchsko has a glass jaw, and Valuev has never really taken a decent punch. In a slug fest I've gotta back Briggs.

Who else is there? Calvin Brock, methinks not.

Not saying Briggs is great - far from it - or that his performance was stella, becasue it wasn't. I'm only highlighting the fact that he has the power to take out anyone in the division right now, to secure his place he simply needs to devleop fitness.

I hope he will be the guy to stop Valuev beating Mariciano's 49-0.

isthatTHUNDER?!
11-22-2006, 03:26 PM
neither won of these guys would last a round with minto.

LoungeMachine
11-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by isthatTHUNDER?!

It's nice to be reminded every now and again just how stupid you really are. :D

Thanks, joey.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Somebody give me a shake when Marciano comes back from the dead....

LoungeMachine
11-22-2006, 08:57 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DupWi-IDes0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DupWi-IDes0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Joe Thunder's band doing ATBL

ALinChainz
11-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by isthatTHUNDER?!

Minto lost to Tony Tubbs, got his ass royally kicked. I notice there was never a rematch as Minto knows he is out of his league.

Tubbs, a 46 year old, 300+ lb, former crack addict.

And something Minto will never be, a former heavyweight champion.

And now Minto is going to fight another guy who is making a comeback, is ancient, and hasn't fought since 1999.

How many KOs does Minto have in his wins?

Its a fucking piss poor pecentage, and he has fought nobodys.

Next anal exhale Joe.

ALinChainz
11-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Maybe not.

But Briggs is trhe most dangerous heavyweight for the first 4 rounds (that's not saying much at the moment though is it?) Klitchsko's peole have been avoiding him because of that power he packs.

Totally agree that he needs to work on fitness - I say drop 30 lbs...

What you've gotta remember is that Liakovich was probably the Russian with the best skills.

Do you see any of the other Russians been able to out power Briggs? Klitchsko has a glass jaw, and Valuev has never really taken a decent punch. In a slug fest I've gotta back Briggs.

Who else is there? Calvin Brock, methinks not.

Not saying Briggs is great - far from it - or that his performance was stella, becasue it wasn't. I'm only highlighting the fact that he has the power to take out anyone in the division right now, to secure his place he simply needs to devleop fitness.

I hope he will be the guy to stop Valuev beating Mariciano's 49-0.

No, Brock sucks also. And not much on the horizon.

Klitscho has to have the best skills of the Russian dudes.

Briggs was fighting for a title with no sense of urgency whatsoever, and if he doesn't get lucky with this guy falling out of the ring, he may not even win this time.

He can punch, but will never be great, I don't know how he will "secure" his place. I'm still betting he loses his first defense against someone with a pulse and some gumption.

*Notice for Thudner*

I said gumption, not gump. Minto would get killed by Briggs.

binnie
11-23-2006, 02:54 AM
Well, we'll have top wait and see.

But at least the Russians don't have a clean sweep....