PDA

View Full Version : Bolton to be the next to go down?

LoungeMachine
11-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Bolton's Chances of Confirmation Are 'Nil,' Official Says

By HELENE COOPER
Published: November 10, 2006

WASHINGTON, Nov. 10—President Bush has pledged to be a bipartisan, consensus builder now that Democrats are to control Congress, and since Wednesday he has made conciliatory gestures. The question now is whether Mr. Bush is ready to junk all of his make-nice pledges in order to keep John Bolton at the United Nations.

Officially, administration officials say they plan to make all the necessary calls to Republicans and Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to try to talk them into confirming Mr. Bolton for a next term as ambassador. “He has been extraordinarily effective up there at the U.N., and now is not the time to have a gap,” said the State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, repeating the official line.

But with Senator Lincoln Chafee’s announcement Thursday that he would deny Republicans on the committee the last vote needed to send Mr. Bolton’s nomination to the full Senate, some administration officials privately acknowledge that Mr. Bolton’s chances of getting Senate confirmation are “nil,” one State Department official said. “We know it’s not going to happen.”

In this situation, the usual next step would be for Mr. Bolton to withdraw from consideration and for Mr. Bush to nominate a less polarizing candidate—perhaps bringing Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad back from Baghdad; or turning to the State Department counselor, Philip D. Zelikow; the under secretary of state for Democracy and Global Affairs, Paula Dobriansky, or even Mr. Chafee himself, following his own re-election defeat. All those names have been floated both inside and outside the administration.

But Mr. Bolton is keen to stay at the helm of the American team at the United Nations, administration officials say, and White House officials, including the legal adviser, Harriet Miers, have been looking into whether Mr. Bush can somehow bypass the Senate and save Mr. Bolton. Administration officials said that Vice President Dick Cheney is backing the exploration of such a move.

Mr. Bolton “could be named ‘acting permanent representative’ or ‘deputy U.N. ambassador’ or something else that doesn’t require confirmation,” one senior administration official said, acknowledging that it might not be worth angering Democrats with such a maneuver.

When senators blocked Mr. Bolton’s confirmation last year, Mr. Bush gave him a recess appointment, which expires when this Congress adjourns. Mr. Bush could give Mr. Bolton a second recess appointment as United Nations ambassador, but under the law he could not be paid for his work. White House officials are looking into whether he could be paid by some other entity and still serve as ambassador, or whether a de-facto ambassador position could be created in which Mr. Bolton served ambassador for all intents and purposes but not in name.

Such a move would almost certainly inflame relations between the White House and ascendant Democrats, and might kill any further talk about bipartisan cooperation. “It looks like an act out of Cirque du Soleil,” said Senator Christopher Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee. He likened the proposed maneuver to “a vision of a contortionist.”

“This John Bolton does not deserve to be promoted,” Mr. Dodd said.

Tony Snow, the White House spokesman, today declined to speculate about Mr. Bolton’s future if he doesn’t get through the Senate. “I think what we ought to do right now is simply allow senators in the lame-duck session to see if they will give John Bolton a fair shake,” he said. “After that, we’ll talk about possibilities.”

Thom Shanker contributed reporting.

LoungeMachine
11-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

legal adviser, Harriet Miers, have been looking into whether Mr. Bush can somehow bypass the Senate and save Mr. Bolton. Administration officials said that Vice President Dick Cheney is backing the exploration of such a move.

Mr. Bolton “could be named ‘acting permanent representative’ or ‘deputy U.N. ambassador’ or something else that doesn’t require confirmation,” one senior administration official said, acknowledging that it might not be worth angering Democrats with such a maneuver.

Are you fucking kidding me?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Warham
11-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't understand the big deal about John Bolton. The UN is worthless anyway. A bunch of thugs taking kickbacks from oil-for-food programs and god knows what else.

What difference does it make who our ambassador is?

FORD
11-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Bolton was the typical BCE appointee. You find the person most hostile to the job required, and appoint them. Bolton openly despised the UN and even encouraged terrorists to blow up "the top 10 stories of the building".

It was the same thing as appointing corporate pollution defender Gail Norton to be Secretary of Interior, or the recent appointment of Lee "Quatro-Chin" Raymond of EXXON to head up a commission on solving the energy crisis.

For years the extreme right complained about how "bad" government was. Then they get "elected" and prove it.

Guitar Shark
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I don't understand the big deal about John Bolton. The UN is worthless anyway. A bunch of thugs taking kickbacks from oil-for-food programs and god knows what else.

What difference does it make who our ambassador is?

This post brought to you by Neocon Talking Point No. 83.

BITEYOASS
11-11-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't trust anyone with a makeover like Bolton. Who dyes their and hair and avoids doing so with their mustache.

LoungeMachine
11-11-2006, 06:09 PM

A bunch of thugs taking kickbacks from oil-

No need bringing Republican Congressmen into this....

DEMON CUNT
11-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Fuckin' a.

If Hannity said it 100 times, it must be true!

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2236/foxbreastsmju5.gif

rustoffa
11-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
I don't trust anyone with a makeover like Bolton. Who dyes their and hair and avoids doing so with their mustache.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9HoDryA180Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9HoDryA180Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Warham
11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/15/oil.food/index.html

Just one of many articles. And I made sure it was from a liberal network, so Monkey can't fantasize about Sean Hannity.

DEMON CUNT
11-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Just one of many articles. And I made sure it was from a liberal network, so Monkey can't fantasize about Sean Hannity.

CNN a liberal network? That's rich.

Of course there is corruption. There's been plenty of corruption in our government as well. That does not make the UN or our government "worthless" as you say.

The notion that the UN is "worthless" is the neocon dummy talking point that you are regurgitating here. Please try to pay attention.

Warham
11-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
CNN a liberal network?

Yep.

Guitar Shark
11-13-2006, 05:45 PM

Please show me where that article says that the UN is a bunch of "worthless thugs" and that it does not matter who our UN ambassador is. :)

BigBadBrian
11-13-2006, 06:09 PM

You can't use that.

I came up with the liberal playbook idea and you're stealing my stuff.

Please refrain from now on or I'm going to have to have my people break the arms of your people.

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
My apologies... I had no intention of stealing the one original idea you've ever had. ;)

BigBadBrian
11-13-2006, 06:23 PM
My apologies... I had no intention of stealing the one original idea you've ever had. ;)

I just figured I'd sue you and give you something to do.

I imagine you get tired chasing ambulances and hanging out in Emergency Rooms.

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Well finally!! At least the Democrats are finally going to take a stand against this bastard!! :mad:

You're history biotch!!
http://www.zmachars.com/posters/Michael-Bolton_8222.jpg